Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,676 members, 7,809,571 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:23 AM

You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This (30867 Views)

4 Funny Ways To Impress Interviewers At Any Interview And Get The Job / Differences Between Job Interview And Job Chat / Lady Reveals She Slept With A Manager During An Interview And Got The Job! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by helphelp: 10:42am On Nov 29, 2016
Nonsense..

Dem no get work give you before
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by jaymejate: 10:42am On Nov 29, 2016
Bros before you continue, ask how much they wan pay

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by kings09(m): 10:42am On Nov 29, 2016
Guy na A.P n G.P question be dis na. But how much dem wan pay. Hp it's nt 50k per month job
Cortana2:
You've almost nailed a job and then the interviewer placed on your table a white paper containing the following...

Legend has it that the inventor of the game called chess was told to name his own reward. His reply was along this lines.

Imagine a chess board.

Suppose one grain of corn is placed on the first square.
2 grains on the second
4 grains on the third,
8 grains on the fourth,

and so on until you get to the 64th square.

I would like as many grains of corn as the chess board now carries.

We were given just 5 minutes to do this... angry
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by darocha1: 10:42am On Nov 29, 2016
Tell them you didnt cone to buy corn
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by Feranchek(m): 10:43am On Nov 29, 2016
for how much salary? Anythinh below 250k, i go just waka comot grin

1 Like

Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by refreshrate: 10:43am On Nov 29, 2016
Me I will just stand up and say "bros if you no wan give me the job talk so na which one be all dis?" I offend you before?

6 Likes

Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by shamecurls(m): 10:44am On Nov 29, 2016
They did not specify the type of corn. White, Gold or Black.
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by wristbangle: 10:45am On Nov 29, 2016
Ifeshyne:
This is a geometric progression (g.p) with ratio = 2, a = 1 (first number) and n = 64.
we use formula for sum of a geometric progression which is s = a(1-r^n)/1-r

After substituting the values, Final answer has to be in standard form if calculators are not allowed
Something like 2^64 - 1 or even just 2^64

Na this kind babe person go marry, e no go fear say hin children go dull. Kudos.

Geometric Progression(GP) = a ( r^(n-1))

Using the formula to solve the equation, it bcomes 2 ^ 63 as the final answer.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by Nobody: 10:46am On Nov 29, 2016
H2Ossss:

U go school.... This is simply application of what u learnt in school in a real life situation.

Real life...are you for real?

grin grin grin grin grin

Aunty/Bros abeg e ma binu mu "X" wa...
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by Nobody: 10:46am On Nov 29, 2016
agrovick:

You are right, I missed that part. Will this format be correct

2^0 + 2^1 + 2^2 + 2^3... +2^63

There is a formula for sum of terms in a gp

Ifeshyne:

Lool, hi!

Ifeshyne, they asked for total number of corn, not the number of corn on the last term.

We should have used the formula for sum which is

S = a { 1- r^n/ 1-r} since r is not equal to 1

1 Like

Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by Nobody: 10:47am On Nov 29, 2016
Ifeshyne:
This is a geometric progression (g.p) with ratio = 2, a = 1 (first number) and n = 64.

After substituting the values, Final answer has to be in standard form if calculators are not allowed

Who is this lady? Come let me impregnate you so that my children can become mathematical geniuses. grin

4 Likes

Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by AntiWailer: 10:49am On Nov 29, 2016
Cortana2:
You've almost nailed a job and then the interviewer placed on your table a white paper containing the following...

Legend has it that the inventor of the game called chess was told to name his own reward. His reply was along this lines.

Imagine a chess board.

2 grains on the second
4 grains on the third,
8 grains on the fourth,

I will walk out and go home.

I av got a lot to do for the day.

The person who answer the question is not necessarily the smartest. He might have seen some similar problem in the past.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by AntiWailer: 10:50am On Nov 29, 2016
Ifeshyne:

The salary better be 10million per month to warrant all this. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by onward4life(m): 10:52am On Nov 29, 2016
I will try

But this better be for

The office of the president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Unless MMM continues!
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by agrovick(m): 10:53am On Nov 29, 2016
tompat86:
Yes Boss And they expect u to solve it in 5mins,for a 30k job... angry grin
Hehehehehe, it is an era of few hires.
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by Nobody: 10:55am On Nov 29, 2016
agrovick:
All you should have done is raise 2 to a power of 63 judging by the trend set with the information given

correct. 9.22×10^18
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by agrovick(m): 10:56am On Nov 29, 2016
tobimillar:

There is a formula for sum of terms in a gp

That has to do with the scenario of r been greater than or less than 1 right? I can't seem to clearly remember the conditions
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by Dpearlz: 10:56am On Nov 29, 2016
wristbangle:

Na this kind babe person go marry, e no go fear say hin children go dull. Kudos.

You're correct. Solving that equation gives 2^63.
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by joinnow: 10:58am On Nov 29, 2016
Cortana2:

Imagine a chess board.

2 grains on the second
4 grains on the third,
8 grains on the fourth,

Reason you have to read widely and read most motivation books. The story happened in India.
If you add all the grain even the whole grain produce in Nigeria and India will not be enough or equal to the total.
Simply say uncountable

3 Likes

Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by H2Ossss(m): 10:58am On Nov 29, 2016
unclezuma:

Real life...are you for real?

grin grin grin grin grin

Aunty/Bros abeg e ma binu mu "X" wa...

And you are?
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by Nobody: 10:58am On Nov 29, 2016
agrovick:

That has to do with the scenario of r been greater than or less than 1 right? I can't seem to clearly remember the conditions
It's only for when r > 1. When r =1 or less than 1, there is a different formula
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by femi4: 11:00am On Nov 29, 2016
ekanDamie:
128 coins
grains not coins
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by Nobody: 11:00am On Nov 29, 2016
H2Ossss:

And you are?

I am not...and I am sorry to intrude.

Good day to you sir.
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by yink4life: 11:01am On Nov 29, 2016
LastMumu:
What's with the whole interest in corns and grains? If I were you, I would have asked the recruiter if he was a fowl in his previous life. undecided

lastmumu
Your answer stood out.
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by joinnow: 11:02am On Nov 29, 2016
The wheat and chess problem appears in different stories about the invention of chess. One of them includes the geometric progression problem. The story is first known to have been recorded in 1256 by Ibn Khallikan.[1] Another version has the inventor of chess (in some tellings Sessa, an ancient Indian Minister) request his ruler give him wheat according to the wheat and chessboard problem. The ruler laughs it off as a meager prize for a brilliant invention, only to have court treasurers report the unexpectedly huge number of wheat grains would outstrip the ruler's resources. Versions differ as to whether the inventor becomes a high-ranking advisor or is executed.[2]

Macdonnell also investigates the earlier development of the theme.[3]

[According to al-Masudi's early history of India], shatranj, or chess was invented under an Indian king, who expressed his preference for this game over backgammon. [...] The Indians, he adds, also calculated an arithmetical progression with the squares of the chessboard. [...] The early fondness of the Indians for enormous calculations is well known to students of their mathematics, and is exemplified in the writings of the great astronomer Āryabaṭha (born 476 A.D.). [...] An additional argument for the Indian origin of this calculation is supplied by the Arabic name for the square of the chessboard, (بيت, "beit"wink, 'house'. [...] For this has doubtless a historical connection with its Indian designation koṣṭhāgāra, 'store-house', 'granary' [...].

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by femi4: 11:06am On Nov 29, 2016
wristbangle:

haba, how can 2^64 - 1 = 2^63
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by Richy4(m): 11:07am On Nov 29, 2016
And what nonsense is this?

I can just imagine a company giving Ngozi Okonjo Iwala this nonsense to do in the name of interview
angry
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by Nobody: 11:08am On Nov 29, 2016
Just one question. How does this jagons help my career as a criminal defence attorney? Well maybe when the interviewee faints and the interviewer is arrrested and I need to defend him/her then this might interest me for now , off to defence someone from the shackles of the EFCC. tongue cheesy
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by Mightyraw(m): 11:08am On Nov 29, 2016
Ifeshyne:

But why 1-r
r is greater than 1 nw
Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by joinnow: 11:10am On Nov 29, 2016
Another puzzle involving exponential functions goes like this :
A particular lake has water lilies growing on it. On the first day, there is one water lily. Each day, the number of water lilies doubles. After 30 days, the water lilies cover half the lake. How long before they also cover the other half of the lake, so the whole lake is full?
The answer is both obvious and very surprising - the lilies that took 30 days to cover half the lake take only one more day to cover the other half. They fill the lake on day 31.
I've prepared, here, some worksheets for kids to help them learn about this kind of amazing math. The worksheet goes with a story - a modern version, if you like, of the rice and chessboard legend. It goes like this.

You are offered a job, which lasts for 7 weeks. You get to choose your salary.

Either, you get $100 for the first day, $200 for the second day, $300 for the third day. Each day you are paid $100 more than the day before.
Or, you get 1 cent for the first day, 2 cents for the second day, 4 cents for the third day. Each day you are paid double what you were paid the day before.
Which do you choose?
Most people unfamiliar with this kind of dilemma will choose the first option. I've provided some printable worksheets to help people work out which is really best. The worksheet uses the currency symbols $ and c. If you are in the United Kingdom, you'll prefer the pounds and pence version. I've also made a version for those in the Eurozone.

You could use the worksheets like this.

Present the story to a group of kids. Feel free to embellish it with lots of imaginative details!
Ask the children to choose which "pay package" they prefer, either $100 for the first day, increasing by $100 per day, or 1 cent for the first day, doubling each day.
Distribute the worksheets. Each worksheet has a grid for calculating the daily wage, and for recording the total earned for each week.
Perhaps as part of their homework assignment, ask them to complete one row of the grid each week. On the next Monday, get them to report the weekly totals, and discuss. Maybe keep a week-by-week tally of how many kids think the first choice is better.
The computations for the first pay package are simple enough. For the second, the numbers start to get large by the third week. You could allow the children to round off the answers to the nearest dollar, then hundred dollars - or, by weeks 4 and 5, thousand and million dollars.
By week 4 it becomes clear that the second choice is better.
If you print the worksheets, you'll see that there are three worksheets, not just two. The third is useful if you also want to introduce the class to the Fibonacci numbers. Here, the deal is

1 cent on the first day, 2 cents on the second, then your salary on any day after that is your total salary on the previous two days.
To help you out, here are the correct weekly (and overall) totals for the three different schemes (without rounding).

For the first choice, the person earns $2800 in week 1, then $7700, $12600, $17500, $22400, $27300 then $32200, for a grand total of $122,500
For the doubling scheme, the person earns $1.27 in week 1, then $162.56, $20807.68, $2,663,383.04, $340,913,029.12, $43,636,867,727.36 then $5,585,519,069,102.08 for a total of $5,629,499,534,213.11.
For the Fibonacci scheme, the totals are $0.53, $15.42, $447.71, $12,999.01, $377,419.00, $10,958,150.01 then $318,163,769.29, for a total of $329,512,800.97.
Note all information is cc from website

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Go For A Job Interview And They Ask You This by wristbangle: 11:11am On Nov 29, 2016
femi4:
haba, how can 2^64 - 1 = 2^63

Solve (64 -1) differently, u will have 63 which is raise power of 2.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Hope For A Graduate / Dangote 28,000 Job Creation. My Experience / Please Find Attached My Resume: The Right Way To Say It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.