Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,976 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:24 AM

Is This Specs Of Laptop Good For Web Development And Design? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Is This Specs Of Laptop Good For Web Development And Design? (773 Views)

Is Dreamwaver 8 Compulsory For Web Design Beginners? / Are Paid Ads Good For Increasing Google Adsense Earnings? / Photos And Specs Of 4G Android Phones You Can Buy On Black Friday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This Specs Of Laptop Good For Web Development And Design? by LuckyLadolce(m): 2:15pm On Nov 27, 2016
Good day Nairalanders,

I'm about to start web development and design training soon, but am faced with the challenges of identifying the suitable specs of laptop for the training. As such, am here to seek advice from the professionals in the house as i have little knowledge about computer/laptop specs.

Below is the specs i was able to come up with on jiji. Pls review it fo me Or suggest a more suitable specs.

Thanks.

Re: Is This Specs Of Laptop Good For Web Development And Design? by JeffreyJamez(m): 3:04pm On Nov 27, 2016
It's okay
Re: Is This Specs Of Laptop Good For Web Development And Design? by LuckyLadolce(m): 3:22pm On Nov 27, 2016
JeffreyJamez:
It's okay
okay bro. Thanks.
Re: Is This Specs Of Laptop Good For Web Development And Design? by Tolzeal(m): 5:54pm On Nov 27, 2016
The PC seem great .... But what's the i7 generation ?
Re: Is This Specs Of Laptop Good For Web Development And Design? by ubiquitousade(m): 2:02am On Nov 28, 2016
you are good to go

1 Like

Re: Is This Specs Of Laptop Good For Web Development And Design? by DualCore1: 4:09am On Nov 28, 2016
This spec is not suitable for the following reasons.

12.1" screen. For web development/design you need a bigger screen size to be comfortable. Look for a spec from 15.6" and above. That screen size also means the laptop may have a smaller than usual form factor, which will also mean the keypad will be minimal, this is also not suitable for coding. You need a good keypad that is well spaced and has a large right "shift" key because you will be using that key a lot, and blindly too so your pinky finger or the one just before it needs to be resting comfortably on that right "shift" key. Same goes for the "Enter" and "Backspace" keys.... Ensure these 3 keys on the right hand side of your keypad are larger than the others.

The small form-factor of the laptop also means the keypad won't have a dedicated numeric keypad area, while this is not a necessity it can really help your productivity for number crunching activities in coding and quick calculations.

4GB Ram: This is okay for a start but if you are considering using this for professional web development as a full stack developer, you won't be comfortable with 4GB. As a full stack dev you will at the least have the following programs running

Coding IDE of choice
Browser of choice
LAMP/WAMP/XAMP
Photo editing software of choice

Most of these apps are resource intensive. Before making this post I had to do a check on my laptop's performance. RAM presently being used by the apps I am running is 4.64 GB. I have 2 browsers, IDE, Adobe Fireworks, Evernote, Thunderbird and a few non-resource intensive utilities running.

In summary, in my opinion this spec is for business people who are always on the go. It has great battery life and a very slim and compact design.

You can actually use this spec for a start and upgrade to a suitable laptop in the near future but I will not advice you do that. It is usually a nightmare for your fingers when you switch to a different laptop with a different keypad orientation/layout. It isn't even cost effective in the long run.

1 Like

Re: Is This Specs Of Laptop Good For Web Development And Design? by LuckyLadolce(m): 10:56pm On Nov 28, 2016
DualCore1:
This spec is not suitable for the following reasons.

12.1" screen. For web development/design you need a bigger screen size to be comfortable. Look for a spec from 15.6" and above. That screen size also means the laptop may have a smaller than usual form factor, which will also mean the keypad will be minimal, this is also not suitable for coding. You need a good keypad that is well spaced and has a large right "shift" key because you will be using that key a lot, and blindly too so your pinky finger or the one just before it needs to be resting comfortably on that right "shift" key. Same goes for the "Enter" and "Backspace" keys.... Ensure these 3 keys on the right hand side of your keypad are larger than the others.

The small form-factor of the laptop also means the keypad won't have a dedicated numeric keypad area, while this is not a necessity it can really help your productivity for number crunching activities in coding and quick calculations.

4GB Ram: This is okay for a start but if you are considering using this for professional web development as a full stack developer, you won't be comfortable with 4GB. As a full stack dev you will at the least have the following programs running

Coding IDE of choice
Browser of choice
LAMP/WAMP/XAMP
Photo editing software of choice

Most of these apps are resource intensive. Before making this post I had to do a check on my laptop's performance. RAM presently being used by the apps I am running is 4.64 GB. I have 2 browsers, IDE, Adobe Fireworks, Evernote, Thunderbird and a few non-resource intensive utilities running.

In summary, in my opinion this spec is for business people who are always on the go. It has great battery life and a very slim and compact design.

You can actually use this spec for a start and upgrade to a suitable laptop in the near future but I will not advice you do that. It is usually a nightmare for your fingers when you switch to a different laptop with a different keypad orientation/layout. It isn't even cost effective in the long run.

Wow wow wow! This is a great piece! Thanks so much i really appreciate you. So, whats the spec you will suggest i go for? Could you please just enlighten me on the best spec to opt for? I will also appreciate if you can recommend a good seller with affordable prices. Thank you .

(1) (Reply)

Will Google Ad Accept Me Am Ranking 25k In Naija Alexa Check Site / Please Help How Do I Get My Site Approved By Google Adsense / How Can I Be A Programmer?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.