Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,257 members, 7,826,009 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:14 AM

Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? (4885 Views)

APC Restructuring Committee Approves Resource Control, State Police, Others / Why Niger Deltans Won't Subscribe To The Biafran Movement / This Post Will Give Niger Deltan Republicans Nightmares posted By Radio Biafra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by Fremancipation: 3:53pm On Nov 28, 2016
Niger deltans for the most part are peace loving people by nature and have a laid back lifestyle. They have sacrificed their land and resources to build this contraption called Nigeria.

My question is simple: Will Nigeria ever give them the resource control that they have been asking for decades?

If you say No, click Like and explain.

If you say yes, click share and explain

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by zendy: 4:12pm On Nov 28, 2016
Fremancipation:
Niger deltans for the most part are peace loving people by nature and have a laid back lifestyle. They have sacrificed their land and resources to build this contraption called Nigeria.

My question is simple: Will Nigeria ever give them the resource control that they have been asking for decades?

If you say No, click Like and explain.

If you say yes, click share and explain

There is no one called 'Niger Deltan'. Nigeria is made up of tribes, not ficticious geopolitical zones.

Nigeria is not going to give anyone resource control. Resource control does not favour the North and they are willing to fight another war to make sure resource control never returns. They also have the numerical advantage in the National Assembly to make sure that any law on resource control doesnt see the light of day.

So to answer your question, as long as Northern Nigeria is part of Nigeria, resource control can never happen.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by galeiiTNA: 4:15pm On Nov 28, 2016
Yes. When the Niger Delta lawmakers partner with the south east lawmakers to take everything that should rightfully theirs back to their regions. These includes not just oil resource control but also oil company corporate offices in Lagos, Nollywood, Seaports should be built in Warri, Port Harcourt and Anambra, etc. The North Central should be cajoled to come on board too cos the region is also short changed. They need things too and with this 3 zones working together, equity will be restored in Nigeria

4 Likes

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by Fremancipation: 4:18pm On Nov 28, 2016
zendy:

There is no one called 'Niger Deltan'. Nigeria is made up of tribes, not ficticious geopolitical zones.

Nigeria is not going to give anyone resource control. Resource control does not favour the North and they are willing to fight another war to make sure resource control never returns. They also have the numerical advantage in the National Assembly to make sure that any law on resource control doesnt see the light of day.

So to answer your question, as long as Northern Nigeria is part of Nigeria, resource control can never happen.

Zendy, the reason I use niger deltans is because a lot of them that strongly advocate for Nigeria here always say " we niger deltans just want resource control". That's why I call them what they say that they are. Simple.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by Fremancipation: 4:22pm On Nov 28, 2016
galeiiTNA:
Yes. When the Niger Delta lawmakers partner with the south east lawmakers to take everything that should rightfully theirs back to their regions. These includes not just oil resource control but also oil company corporate offices in Lagos, Nollywood, Seaports should be built in Warri, Port Harcourt and Anambra, etc. The North Central should be cajoled to come on board too cos the region is also short changed. They need things too and with this 3 zones working together, equity will be restored in Nigeria

Sound good But the north will always have the majority in the house and senate because of the inflated population and representation. How do you convince them to support these things when the current system benefits them?

2 Likes

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by zendy: 4:22pm On Nov 28, 2016
galeiiTNA:

Dreamer

To get resource control, you have to change the contitution, to change the contitution you need 2 thirds majority vote in the National Assembly. Even if the entire south and the North central voted at the National Assembly for resource control, they still will not be able to get 2 thirds majority vote needes to carry it through

8 Likes

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by Fremancipation: 4:23pm On Nov 28, 2016
zendy:

Dreamer

To get resource control, you have to change the contitution, to change the contitution you need 2 thirds majority vote in the National Assembly. Even if the entire south and the North central voted at the National Assembly for resource control, they still will not be able to get 2 thirds majority vote needes to carry it through

Here lies the problem

1 Like

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by Fremancipation: 5:00pm On Nov 28, 2016
BUMP

Will Nigeria ever give Niger deltans the resource control that they have been asking for decades?
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by Fremancipation: 5:11pm On Nov 28, 2016
The silence is revealing as expected.

if the title of this thread was "Niger deltans will never support Biafra", all of a sudden, the "we niger deltans " and everyone else will come out from no where and start spewing hate.

Once again will Niger deltans ever get their resource control? explain when and how.

13 Likes

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by bolanto24(m): 6:12pm On Nov 28, 2016
This question is hard. I as a Niger Deltan am feed up of this resource control issue. For decades we've been asking for this to no avail.

I'm for One Nigeria but one born out of fairness, justice and equity. Our elders have really failed us.

What we need now is a referendum to vote for separation from Nigeria. Whatever name, weather biafra or whatever.

Anything is better than this shit hole of a country.

Whatever the price we must pay it for posterity sake.

Freedom they say is not free.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by Yyeske(m): 6:25pm On Nov 28, 2016
Let the so called niger deltans explain how they spent the money given to them in the past.

13% allocations
NDDC
Ministry of Niger Delta
FEC allocations and a host of others.

Most still own workers, huge debts, virtually no infrastructure and most of them are lazy.

After funding your militants and corrupt leaders from deve touts to your governors and you realize nothing left you now want more, una never ready.

2 Likes

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by Fremancipation: 7:32pm On Nov 28, 2016
bolanto24:
This question is hard. I as a Niger Deltan am feed up of this resource control issue. For decades we've been asking for this to no avail.

I'm for One Nigeria but one born out of fairness, justice and equity. Our elders have really failed us.

What we need now is a referendum to vote for separation from Nigeria. Whatever name, weather biafra or whatever.

Anything is better than this shit hole of a country.

Whatever the price we must pay it for posterity sake.

Freedom they say is not free.

I understand your frustration. The problem and mistake is that a lot of niger deltans think that they can get fairness from Nigeria when in reality they are angry with the little 13% you get and looking for ways to get rid of it.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by Fremancipation: 8:17pm On Nov 28, 2016
Yyeske:
Let the so called niger deltans explain how they spent the money given to them in the past.

13% allocations
NDDC
Ministry of Niger Delta

Most still own workers, huge debts, virtually no infrastructure and most of them are lazy.

After funding your militants and corrupt leaders from deve touts to your governors and you realize nothing left you now want more, una never ready.

If you have a mango tree in your backyard and I come take all the mangos and only give you 13% of your mangoes while constantly treathening you that I will take it away and you should consider yourself lucky for even getting the amount you are getting.

How would you feel?

I will personally cut down that tree if it was me.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by galeiiTNA: 8:19pm On Nov 28, 2016
zendy:

Dreamer

As long as the 3 zones work together, even the core north will never have 2/3 majority

2 Likes

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by galeiiTNA: 8:20pm On Nov 28, 2016
Fremancipation:

Here lies the problem

As long as the 3 zones work together, even the core north will never have 2/3 majority

1 Like

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by WeNigerDelta: 9:12pm On Nov 28, 2016
The answer is No. Majority of us know and accept this as the truth.
The problem that most of the people in my region have is the name "Biafra", it's been synonymous to the Igbo nations struggle nationally and internationally. They believe joining that will make them loose their identity. Since everyone would think of Igbo first when they hear Biafra.

That's the salient truth. We understand the sacrifices y'all have made in that name. And sometimes it's strikes me as unfair to suggest a name change. My opinion is the Biafra nation should be part of a Lower Niger or whatever name is decided.
If you guys truly want to quench the fear of alleged Igbo domination in "the new nation" then changing the name to one that encompasses all our struggle shouldn't be that big of a deal.
Change the name and continue speaking the truth like Kanu has being doing. And watch my people give their all for the struggle to divide this nation.

Just my 2 cents...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by KidsNEXTdoor: 9:30pm On Nov 28, 2016
Yyeske:

13% allocations
NDDC
Ministry of Niger Delta

YORUBA MUSLIM,
I dey greet oo

8 Likes

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by Fremancipation: 9:39pm On Nov 28, 2016
WeNigerDelta:
The problem that most of the people in my region have is the name "Biafra", it's been synonymous to the Igbo nations struggle nationally and internationally. They believe joining that will make them loose their identity. Since everyone would think of Igbo first when they hear Biafra.

That's the salient truth. We understand the sacrifices y'all have made in that name. And sometimes it's strikes me as unfair to suggest a name change. My opinion is the Biafra nation should be part of a Lower Niger or whatever name is decided.
If you guys truly want to quench the fear of alleged Igbo domination in "the new nation" then changing the name to one that encompasses all our struggle shouldn't be that big of a deal.
Change the name and continue speaking the truth like Kanu has being doing. And watch my people give their all for the struggle to divide this nation.

Just my 2 cents...

The name Biafra was given to us by an illustrious Ijaw son. It was named after the bight of Biafra which was changed to the bight of Benin after the uncivil war.

Millions have died and given their lives under that name. It will be a great dishonor to them to change it.

Finally if Igbo domination is the fear that you have for Biafra. That is fine and I prefer you and the rest of niger deltans like you form your own country. I and so many other igbos prefer an Igbo only Biafra. You can check my history. I don't agree with IPOB including other non-Igbo groups in Biafra.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by WeNigerDelta: 9:55pm On Nov 28, 2016
Fremancipation:

The name Biafra was given to us by an illustrious Ijaw son. It was named after the bight of Biafra which was changed to the bight of Benin after the uncivil war.

Millions have died and given their lives under that name. It will be a great dishonor to them to change it.

Finally if Igbo domination is the fear that you have for Biafra. That is fine and I prefer you and the rest of niger deltans like you form your own country. I and so many other igbos prefer an Igbo only Biafra. You can check my history. I don't agree with IPOB including other non-Igbo groups in Biafra.

This is why sometimes having a sincere conversation about this secession is hard with you guys. What ever the history about how the name came about doesn't change the fact that the Igbo nation went to war in that name.

First we really don't care about anybody dominating us in the true sense. How many other cities are there in Nigeria with a market name "Igbo market".
If you don't care about the rest of the ND, then what was the point of this thread?
Also this is not a sentiment shared only in Delta, it can be found in Akwa, Cross and Rivers people as well. Mere brushing it aside or saying it's not true won't do you any favors.

I am all for us going our way and you guys go your way. But in Kanu's message from jail he included all of Delta including the riverine areas. I'm telling you the truth about my people and how to get them on board and all you are doing is dismiss it flippantly..

Like I said earlier I understand the sacrifices the Igbo's have made for the name Biafra. But the rest of us didn't, and since Nnamdi Kanu is including us in new one, respecting our identity is also very important.

My suggestion if Nnamdi wants the nation he dreams of and talk about. A new name with nations divided based on ethnic nationalities instead of states. Biafra can encompass the entire Igbo nation, so also there could be Ibibio nation and so on..

If you don't want the nation of Kanu's dreams. Me and my people are more that super happy go our own way like it was pre colonial times. We have no problem with that.

I just gave an advice on how to cajoule my people, that's all.

6 Likes

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by ChimaAdeoye: 10:01pm On Nov 28, 2016
[size=14pt]Nigeria will NEVER give the resources to its Niger Delta owners if they weren't compelled to. [/size]

[size=14pt]Therefore, the militants making it impossible for the northern fulanis to continue to exclusively benefit from Niger Delta oil instead of the region that owns the resource is the only way Nigeria will embrace justice.[/size]

12 Likes

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by Fremancipation: 10:23pm On Nov 28, 2016
WeNigerDelta:

This is why sometimes having a sincere conversation about this secession is hard with you guys. What ever the history about how the name came about doesn't change the fact that the Igbo nation went to war in that name.

First we really don't care about anybody dominating us in the true sense. How many other cities are there in Nigeria with a market name "Igbo market".
If you don't care about the rest of the ND, then what was the point of this thread?
Also this is not a sentiment shared only in Delta, it can be found in Akwa, Cross and Rivers people as well. Mere brushing it aside or saying it's not true won't do you any favors.

I am all for us going our way and you guys go your way. But in Kanu's message from jail he included all of Delta including the riverine areas. I'm telling you the truth about my people and how to get them on board and all you are doing is dismiss it flippantly..

Like I said earlier I understand the sacrifices the Igbo's have made for the name Biafra. But the rest of us didn't, and since Nnamdi Kanu is including us in new one, respecting our identity is also very important.

My suggestion if Nnamdi wants the nation he dreams of and talk about. A new name with nations divided based on ethnic nationalities instead of states. Biafra can encompass the entire Igbo nation, so also there could be Ibibio nation and so on..

If you don't want the nation of Kanu's dreams. Me and my people are more that super happy go our own way like it was pre colonial times. We have no problem with that.

I just gave an advice on how to cajoule my people, that's all.

If you have been on this forum long enough, you will understand why I responded the way I did. I meant no disrespect to you or to anyone. I am just facing the reality as I see it. In my old moniker before I was banned I have always advocated for minority rights in Nigeria. But the constant accusations of Igbo trying to dominate and steal land and oil has made me decide to just worry about Igbo only Biafra.

Wenigerdelta, my conscience is the reason why I opened this thread. Oil value is fast depreciating. What will niger deltans have left to develop their land. Nigerian government is thinking about squeezing the last drop of oil money before they abandon ship. They are also looking for alternatives from niger republic.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by ificatchmodeh: 11:11pm On Nov 28, 2016
WeNigerDelta:

Just my 2 cents...

Word!
But guess it will be difficult for them..considering au far..they've come..if only they can negotiate properly..along interest.
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by WeNigerDelta: 11:22pm On Nov 28, 2016
Fremancipation:

If you have been on this forum long enough, you will understand why I responded the way I did. I meant no disrespect to you or to anyone. I am just facing the reality as I see it. In my old moniker before I was banned I have always advocated for minority rights in Nigeria. But the constant accusations of Igbo trying to dominate and steal land and oil has made me decide to just worry about Igbo only Biafra.

Wenigerdelta, my conscience is the reason why I opened this thread. Oil value is fast depreciating. What will niger deltans have left to develop their land. Nigerian government is thinking about squeezing the last drop of oil money before they abandon ship. They are also looking for alternatives from niger republic.

Bros I understand you. If my people were constantly accused of trying to dominate others I'll definitely feel some type of way as well...

But it shocks me that you guys that have been on the receiving end of "Lagos, Ibadan express journalism" like y'all tag it. Don't even try to understand what that has done to those that are non Igbos...

We were taught in schools that an Igbo soldier went to war because his junior in rank was president. On top of that the older ones, talk about the invasion of the Midwest by the Biafran soldiers. Imagine if this is what you've been told about a group of people for almost 50years, do you think you'll easily be receptive to them?

Our people have nothing against the Igbo l, we go to school in Igbo land more than anywhere else and we enjoy it.
You guys have to remember that we like a woman trying to get out of an abusive relationship and all we've heard about a man is he's just been waiting for his time to inflict his abuse and everything else Na wash...That's how we see it and even in that we acknowledge the truths of Kanu's message...

We are terrified of being abused again, not about no Igbo domination. This time by someone everybody has warned them about for almost 50years. And the feeling some have is if you cannot alay our fears with a simple name change that carries all of us along. How will you fare in larger issues...

I preach to my people a lot about secession, they are all for it. Just want to feel they won't be abused again and majority believe a name change that encompasses everyone will be a step in that direction to show u don't care about the crap they keep spouting...

We all know the benefits of a nation together with the Igbos, I especially. We would like to invest our oil money in the China of Africa and together we can do amazing things. But you need to understand my people's fears and the reasoning behind it. Maybe then u can know how to better tackle it.. There is a reason a smart Kanu wants us all together and I can see it also...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by Fremancipation: 11:23pm On Nov 28, 2016
ificatchmodeh:

Word!
But guess it will be difficult for them..considering au far..they've come..if only they can negotiate properly..along interest.

Biafra proposes a form of government where each province will have total control of her resources and only contribute to the centre.
In Biafra, smaller groups like Oron, Eket, Andoni can unite and have their own province with full resource control and pay tax to the central government.

There won't be any land use decree.IPOB had stressed on this times without number. Even Ojukwu Biafra was divided into provinces,with non Igbo speaking tribes having their own distinct provinces with indigenous administrators. You need nobody to checkmate Igbos under such arrangement.

And moreover, naturally, Igbos exist in clans that do checkmate each other, there have never in history been a period when Igbo groups United to conquer a non Igbo speaking people.

This was posted by Pazienza when similar issue was raised in a different thread last week. He captured my point better than I could.

6 Likes

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by WeNigerDelta: 11:27pm On Nov 28, 2016
Fremancipation:

Biafra proposes a form of government where each province will have total control of her resources and only contribute to the centre.
In Biafra, smaller groups like Oron, Eket, Andoni can unite and have their own province with full resource control and pay tax to the central government.

There won't be any land use decree.IPOB had stressed on this times without number. Even Ojukwu Biafra was divided into provinces,with non Igbo speaking tribes having their own distinct provinces with indigenous administrators. You need nobody to checkmate Igbos under such arrangement.

And moreover, naturally, Igbos exist in clans that do checkmate each other, there have never in history been a period when Igbo groups United to conquer a non Igbo speaking people.

This was posted by Pazienza when similar issue was raised in a different thread last week. He captured my point better than I could.

Bros I know this as well. But my people go say that Na wash. "People when to change ordinary name hard Na come do that one? Abegi".... The lack of name alone make a lot of people not care about the message...

The message is great, the carrier awesome. There is just one thing hold my people from going head first and that's the pure truth.
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by Fremancipation: 11:34pm On Nov 28, 2016
WeNigerDelta:

Bros I understand you. If my people were constantly accused of trying to dominate others I'll definitely feel some type of way as well...

But it shocks me that you guys that have been on the receiving end of "Lagos, Ibadan express journalism" like y'all tag it. Don't even try to understand what that has done to those that are non Igbos...

We were taught in schools that an Igbo soldier went to war because his junior in rank was president. On top of that the older ones, talk about the invasion of the Midwest by the Biafran soldiers. Imagine if this is what you've been told about a group of people for almost 50years, do you think you'll easily be receptive to them?

Our people have nothing against the Igbo l, we go to school in Igbo land more than anywhere else and we enjoy it.
You guys have to remember that we like a woman trying to get out of an abusive relationship and all we've heard about a man is he's just been waiting for his time to inflict his abuse and everything else Na wash...That's how we see it and even in that we acknowledge the truths of Kanu's message...

We are terrified of being abused again, not about no Igbo domination. This time by someone everybody has warned them about for almost 50years. And the feeling some have is if you cannot alay our fears with a simple name change that carries all of us along. How will you fare in larger issues...

I preach to my people a lot about secession, they are all for it. Just want to feel they won't be abused again and majority believe a name change that encompasses everyone will be a step in that direction to show u don't care about the crap they keep spouting...

We all know the benefits of a nation together with the Igbos, I especially. We would like to invest our oil money in the China of Africa and together we can do amazing things. But you need to understand my people's fears and the reasoning behind it. Maybe then u can know how to better tackle it.. There is a reason a smart Kanu wants us all together and I can see it also...

That bolded line really touched me. I totally understand what you are saying. My older brother's wife went through some abusive relationship before she met him. Because of it, she tends to have trust issues sometimes with him and others that mean no harm to her.
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by ificatchmodeh: 2:01am On Nov 29, 2016
Fremancipation:

I don't think majority of the south have issue with the working or type of governance..biafrans choose to adopt.

The issue is the name Biafra...
The south would support your cause without qualms...if only they can negotiate better and coin more acceptable name for the struggle.

Biafra is synonymous with ibos..and its having a lot of psychological effect on the entire niger delta area..including the ibo speaking group.
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by zendy: 7:54am On Nov 29, 2016
galeiiTNA:

It is not them who need 2/3, it is you who is looking for resource control that needs 2/3.

2 Likes

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by Nobody: 9:32am On Nov 29, 2016
Okay I'm surprised. I thought this was another avenue for NigerDeltans to come and talk nonsense. But lo and behold they're mute,the ones who spoke,spoke well. Well,as regards the question of resource control that is NEVER going to happen. Concerning the name change,listening to this people I understand their position. I don't know if IPoB leadership will move for a name change: Biafra and NigerDelta for example. Majority of us Igbos honestly do not want it changed. If 3 million of your people died for a cause you'd not entertain any talk of a name change. But I think IPoB should look into it, The United Regions of Biafra and the Niger Delta or The confederate nations of Biafra and the Niger Delta is the closest I can come up with. We wouldn't be discussing this if Nnamdi wasn't arrested

1 Like

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by TruthisGOD: 9:46am On Nov 29, 2016
@ wenigerdelta, what makes a country great is the people not the name. If your people still believe that the name Biafra was named by an Igbo man while in actual sense it was named by an Ijaw man, then they have a serious problem. Since you said you educate them on the needs to seceede with the Igbos, you have to include the history of Biafra and how the name came to be in your curriculum. It baffles me how people are still not enlightened in this internet age but still believe in medevial propaganda.

5 Likes

Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by babyfaceafrica: 10:32am On Nov 29, 2016
galeiiTNA:

you are with enormous sense...if the entire south and nc work together ...the core north can never overturn them...but some people will never let such relationship come to light with their statements on ad off line...as lonng as the south is at loggerheads....OYO is the case
Re: Will Nigeria Ever Give Niger-deltans Resource Control? by babyfaceafrica: 10:39am On Nov 29, 2016
The thread is been derailed as usual...people can't stick to the point..na una sabi!!!...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Breaking: New Group Emerges, Calls For Secession Of Niger Delta From Nigeria / Asari Dokubo Visits Adams Oshiomhole, Congratulates Him (Photo) / Oyo: PDP Congratulates Makinde On Victory At Tribunal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.