Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,472 members, 7,823,099 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:33 AM

Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank (8998 Views)

El-rufai Orders Banks To Close Govt. Accounts, Remit Balance To CBN / FG Targets $10bn From National Flag Carrier / A Picture Of Ibori In 2009 After Asaba Court Ruled In His Favour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by OAM4J: 11:11pm On Nov 08, 2009

[size=14pt]W’Bank: Nigerians Remit $10bn Home[/size]
By Festus Akanbi, 11.08.2009

With an estimated $10 billion inflow of foreign exchange from its citizens abroad this year, Nigeria yesterday emerged the sixth highest destination of remittances from citizens of developing nations in the Diaspora.

The World Bank, which gave the figure in its Migration and Develop-ment Brief released at the weekend said in the updated remittance flow table, India, China and Mexico retained the top three positions among developing countries and attracted funds up to $52 billion, $49 billion and $26 billion respectively.

The other constituents in the top 10 list include — Philippines ($19 billion, 4th), Poland ($11 billion, 5th), Romania ($9 billion, 7th), Bangladesh ($9 billion, 8th), Egypt ($9 billion, 9th) and Vietnam ($7 billion, 10th).

The multilateral institution predicted that  total remittance flow to developing countries, including India, will be around $317 billion this year, a lower-than-expected fall from the year-ago level, but will return to the recovery path in years to come.

The projected remittance flow this year would represent a 6.1 per cent fall from the 2008 level against the earlier expectation of a 7.3 per cent dip. As per the newly available data, the officially recorded remittance flow to developing countries reached $338 billion in 2008, higher than the previous estimate of $328 billion, it said.

The report further said that remittance flows this year as well as in the days to come is likely to witness certain risks, and are expected to slow down “in a lagged response to a weak global economy”.

In the coming days, remittance flows in all regions are likely to face three downside risks: a jobless economic recovery, tighter immigration controls and unpredictable exchange rate movements. “With this sluggish pace of recovery, remittance flows are unlikely to reach the 2008 level even by 2011,” the World Bank said as remittance flows could witness significant risks, pursuant to the global slump.

So far this year, South Asia saw better-than-expected remittance flows. Remittance to Pakistan rose by 24 per cent in the first eight months of 2009 on a year-on-year basis. For Bangladesh, it was 16 per cent and for Nepal, 13 per cent.

Regarding India, the report said among other factors, “exchange rate depreciation and widening interest rate differentials encouraged remittances to India for investment purposes.” Besides, developing countries with migrants in the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries, such as India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal and the Philippines have experienced smaller decline in remittance flows. However, remittance flows to countries in the Latin America and the Caribbean region until the third quarter of 2009 show larger declines than expected earlier.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=159211
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by OAM4J: 11:18pm On Nov 08, 2009
Well done guys. wink
How come somebody said Nigerians abroad are stingy?- https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-62827.0.html

Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by OvieE: 2:07am On Nov 09, 2009
OAM4J:

Well done guys. wink
How come somebody said Nigerians abroad are stingy?- https://www.nairaland.com/Nigeria/topic-62827.0.html

Do not mind them especially those who managed to get a job in Nigeria and they think they live well when they still depend on us. Up Up for us that helping out people back home.  $10b= 1,522,500,000,000. Convented it at yahoo.com. This money we send to empower Nigeria economy. Take that one trillion plus from Nigeria economy, the country will be poorer than Niger more suffering.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by RichyBlacK(m): 2:15am On Nov 09, 2009
This $10 billion does more for the average Nigerian than the $$$ the useless Nigerian government steals every day!
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by OAM4J: 2:23am On Nov 09, 2009
RichyBlacK:

This $10 billion does more for the average Nigerian than the $$$ the useless Nigerian government steals every day!

You can say that again bro.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by OAM4J: 2:33am On Nov 09, 2009
OK this is a joke

A man who just got a visa to travel abroad went to the father for prayers. Then the father prayed “It will not be easy for you o” the son looked at the father “Papa that is a curse”, and the father answered “Just like your brothers who went before you always complain things are not easy for them and today they have cars and houses home and abroad, same way it will also not be easy for you”… The guy didn’t know weather to say amen or not…  grin

Moral of the joke… despite the depression and hardship we still contribute a wholesome $10b to naija economy, somebody should give us some credit.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by naijaking1: 2:39am On Nov 09, 2009
I would have loved to see a breakdown by regions.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by oyinda3(f): 2:42am On Nov 09, 2009
interesting.

naijaking1:

I would have loved to see a breakdown by regions.

rotfl. why?
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by naijaking1: 2:55am On Nov 09, 2009
oyinda.:

interesting.

rotfl. why?

It would be nice to see who is depending on foreign remittance for survival more than others.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by RichyBlacK(m): 6:29pm On Nov 11, 2009
OAM4J:

OK this is a joke

A man who just got a visa to travel abroad went to the father for prayers. Then the father prayed “It will not be easy for you o” the son looked at the father “Papa that is a curse”, and the father answered “Just like your brothers who went before you always complain things are not easy for them and today they have cars and houses home and abroad, same way it will also not be easy for you”… The guy didn’t know weather to say amen or not…  grin

Moral of the joke… despite the depression and hardship we still contribute a wholesome $10b to naija economy, somebody should give us some credit.

Don't mind all those anti-Diasporans screaming "no place like home". They won't come and give us credit for sending $10 billion home.

It's my view that the figure is an under-estimate because it only accounts for monies sent through documented means. Some Nigerians carry the raw cash on them when traveling home.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by bibiking1(m): 11:51pm On Nov 11, 2009
I can't believe richyblack is a moderator
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by KunleOshob(m): 3:25pm On Nov 12, 2009
Well considering the fact that Nigeria's GDP is in excess of $180 billion [and that is taking into account only the legitimate and formal aspect of the economy which actually accounts for less than 50% of the National economy] one would realize that the so called $10 billion being sent home is peanuts. I would like a comparrison with how much is being siphoned out yearly, stashed away abroad by our politicians and sent to support our struggling brothers over there. I am sure this would be well in excess of the $10 billion our diaspora folks are getting excited about. tongue
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by naijaking1: 4:49pm On Nov 12, 2009
bibiking1:

Why
You know somebody smarter, more educated and more informed than he is, who can handle all the complex issues of divergent political discourse better than he does?
Your ignorant self maybe?
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by jara: 7:12pm On Nov 12, 2009
See twisted logic on display. So those who stashed billions abroad are Diasporans? I thought they run away from Diasporan so that they would not be humiliated. We call the them AKOTILETA or traitor parasites. They are part and prcel of you, never leave home except for short short visit to deposit their loot if their green passport they carry about is allowed in. You must be one of them. If you see the way they spend, you will know they have never worked for a dollar or pound.

It is $10 billion is peanut, eh? Out of $180? Only a Nigerian like you would say that.

quote]
KunleOshob:

Well considering the fact that Nigeria's GDP is in excess of $180 billion [and that is taking into account only the legitimate and formal aspect of the economy which actually accounts for less than 50% of the National economy] one would realize that the so called $10 billion being sent home is peanuts. I would like a comparrison with how much is being siphoned out yearly, stashed away abroad by our politicians and sent to support our struggling brothers over there. I am sure this would be well in excess of the $10 billion our diaspora folks are getting excited about. tongue
[quote][/quote]
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by OAM4J: 7:58pm On Nov 12, 2009
KunleOshob:

Of the $180b you quoted how much really got to the downtrodden masses of Nigeria? large bulk of the $10b were given in response to genuine and urgent needs of the people.

And for God sake you call $10b peanut!!!. What we are talking about is N1.5trillion. What is the annual budget of the FG?
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by Beaf: 8:21pm On Nov 12, 2009
OAM4J:

Of the $180b you quoted how much really got to the downtrodden masses of Nigeria? large bulk of the $10b were given in response to genuine and urgent needs of the people.

And for God sake you call $10b peanut!!!. What we are talking about is N1.5trillion. What is the annual budget of the FG?

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
It is a cool [size=14pt]61%[/size] of the proposed N2.46 Trillion budget for 2010 http://allafrica.com/stories/200910080502.html
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by jara: 8:39pm On Nov 12, 2009
If they get that in foreign aid with all the conditions or as Paris Club loan, they will be grateful. But these are Nigerians in Diaspora, take it and kick their butts. Nobody sould be surprised that these few people in number still oppress us in Nigeria. They have ardent supporters.

Beaf:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
It is a cool [size=14pt]61%[/size] of the proposed N2.46 Trillion budget for 2010 http://allafrica.com/stories/200910080502.html
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by 4Play(m): 8:39pm On Nov 12, 2009
I won't be surprised if more money flows out of Nigeria than flows in.

However, excluding our thieving political class, these figures show Nigerians abroad constitute one of the pillars of Nigeria's economy.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by PeeDaVinci: 9:16pm On Nov 12, 2009
what about the cost of the goods (cars, phones, clothes, furnitures, raw materials etc) sent back home ?? anybody to put a value on that??
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by Beaf: 9:24pm On Nov 12, 2009
PeeDaVinci:

what about the cost of the goods (cars, phones, clothes, furnitures, raw materials etc) sent back home ?? anybody to put a value on that??

By the time you do that and add the money transported in pokets and suitcases, the amount remitted should easily top our annual national budget.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by diggler(m): 10:07pm On Nov 12, 2009
I aint no diasporan, but i've gotta give a big shout out to our hustlers out there.

Y'all are really keeping this economy afloat (at least for the common man)

i know a lot of so called Big boys back here, who have been given chances to travel out by family out there, but refused simply becos they know if they leave, they will have to work for every cent as opposed to flexing on their ppls sweat blood back home.

Also, i feel that if these remittances capture the informal & other aspects, the figure is closer to $20billion.

Some of my diasporan peeps, even boast of wealth over here that makes the life they live ove there such an irony
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by jara: 10:18pm On Nov 12, 2009
diggler:

I aint no diasporan, but i've gotta give a big shout out to our hustlers out there.

Y'all are really keeping this economy afloat (at least for the common man)

i know a lot of so called Big boys back here, who have been given chances to travel out by family out there, but refused simply becos they know if they leave, they will have to work for every cent as opposed to flexing on their ppls sweat blood back home.

Also, i feel that if these remittances capture the informal & other aspects, the figure is closer to $20billion.

Some of my diasporan peeps, even boast of wealth over here that makes the life they live ove there such an irony

May God bless you my broda. They are trying to divide us and conquer us. Home based or Diasporan, we all feel the same pain for Nigeria. Selfishness has taken away our culture to be our brother's keeper. We must focus on defeating the forces of evil so that Nigeria can return to the average man like me and you.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by Beaf: 10:25pm On Nov 12, 2009
jara:

May God bless you my broda. They are trying to divide us and conquer us. Home based or Diasporan, we all feel the same pain for Nigeria. Selfishness has taken away our culture to be our brother's keeper. We must focus on defeating the forces of evil so that Nigeria can return to the average man like me and you.

Amen to that! cool
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by jara: 10:36pm On Nov 12, 2009
Beaf,

I know people risking their lives and health sleeping in taxis so that they can send money home. Sometimes we have to call a few of them warn them that we will not contribute money for their families if they die in cabs. Of course, all Nigerians no matter from where contribute once a disaster happens.

We are talking about illegal immigrants, what about legal professional working from one office jobs in the day to nasty jobs after to get enough to send money home? Or doctors working from hospitals to clinics and nurses working overtime until they colaspe. Abeg some people make me mad.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by OAM4J: 11:08pm On Nov 12, 2009
@Jara,
I feel you. We have not even mentioned many who have to do 2, 3 or more jobs including working on Saturdays and Sundays, whose bedtime is in the bus while moving from one job to another, all because they must survive and take care of their peeps back home.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by Princek12(m): 11:21pm On Nov 12, 2009
What about the diaspora Nigerians who can boast of successful careers and business who send money back home. Most Nigerians don't drive cabs or work menial jobs.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by reindeer: 11:24pm On Nov 12, 2009
Tell them!
and to think i sent home about 5billion out of that 10 billion they are talking about grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by OAM4J: 11:27pm On Nov 12, 2009
@princek12

The issue is not wether the diaspora has a successful career/bussiness or does a menial job. The issue here is that these diasporans make a huge contribution to Nigeria economy and they should be appreciated.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by eldee(m): 11:27pm On Nov 12, 2009
This amount is accounted for in National records . . . meaing it is TAXED.
That's another contribution to the economy.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by Pharoh: 11:32pm On Nov 12, 2009
Apart from money what about the goods and gifts we send home?
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by Afam(m): 11:40pm On Nov 12, 2009
OAM4J:

@princek12

The issue is not wether the diaspora has a successful career/bussiness or does a menial job. The issue here is that these diasporans make a huge contribution to Nigeria economy and they should be appreciated.

Anyone that contributes to the development of Nigeria should be appreciated.

If you want special appreciation because you send money to your friends and family what type of appreciation will you show to the Nigerians who are doing their best to keep the country going from the bus conductors to the petty traders who push ahead against all odds.

It is funny that the moment the unwarranted insults by Nigerians living outside Nigeria towards Nigerians living in Nigeria were challenged so many diversions have been introduced just to avoid the core issue of unwarranted insults.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by RichyBlacK(m): 11:47pm On Nov 12, 2009
bibiking1:

Nna bibiking1,

Wetin I do you? I steal your fowl? Abeg leave me o. I no wan anybody to find my trouble.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Jimoh Ibrahim: I’m Bigger Than Richard Branson / 10 States Buhari/osinbanjo Will Not Work On. / Mimiko Working Towards Election Postponement – Akeredolu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.