Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,310 members, 7,954,236 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 03:10 PM

Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank (9106 Views)

El-rufai Orders Banks To Close Govt. Accounts, Remit Balance To CBN / FG Targets $10bn From National Flag Carrier / A Picture Of Ibori In 2009 After Asaba Court Ruled In His Favour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by RichyBlacK(m): 11:48pm On Nov 12, 2009
naijaking1:

Why
You know somebody smarter, more educated and more informed than he is, who can handle all the complex issues of divergent political discourse better than he does?
Your ignorant self maybe?

Thanks! smiley
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by OAM4J: 11:51pm On Nov 12, 2009
Afam:

Anyone that contributes to the development of Nigeria should be appreciated.

If you want special appreciation because you send money to your friends and family what type of appreciation will you show to the Nigerians who are doing their best to keep the country going from the bus conductors to the petty traders who push ahead against all odds.

It is funny that the moment the unwarranted insults by Nigerians living outside Nigeria towards Nigerians living in Nigeria were challenged so many diversions have been introduced just to avoid the core issue of unwarranted insults.

Now what is the insult here? no one is asking for 'special' appreciation, just an appreciation will do.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by RichyBlacK(m): 11:59pm On Nov 12, 2009
KunleOshob:

Well considering the fact that Nigeria's GDP is in excess of $180 billion [and that is taking into account only the legitimate and formal aspect of the economy which actually accounts for less than 50% of the National economy] one would realize that the so called $10 billion being sent home is peanuts. I would like a comparrison with how much is being siphoned out yearly, stashed away abroad by our politicians and sent to support our struggling brothers over there. I am sure this would be well in excess of the $10 billion our diaspora folks are getting excited about. tongue

Nigeria's budget for 2009: N2.67 trillion

Remittance from Nigerians abroad: N1.53 trillion

And your point is?
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by Kobojunkie: 12:03am On Nov 13, 2009
Princek12:

What about the diaspora Nigerians who can boast of successful careers and business who send money back home. Most Nigerians don't drive cabs or work menial jobs.

Can you please elaborate on the part in bold? What are you driving at ?
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by adconline(m): 12:09am On Nov 13, 2009
Well considering the fact that Nigeria's GDP is in excess of $180 billion [and that is taking into account only the legitimate and formal aspect of the economy which actually accounts for less than 50% of the National economy] one would realize that the so called $10 billion being sent home is peanuts. I would like a comparrison with how much is being siphoned out yearly, stashed away abroad by our politicians and sent to support our struggling brothers over there. I am sure this would be well in excess of the $10 billion our diaspora folks are getting excited about.

This retard does not know that if $10 billion is pumped into Nigeria's GDP of $180 billion, it will translate to 5.5% growth in GDP. So if there is not significant economic growth next year and Nigerians abroad send another $10 Billion it will positively impact Nigerian economy and the govt will calculate that as an economic growth
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by hbrednic: 12:11am On Nov 13, 2009
disporian team 1  grin
local team         0   tongue

Kudos to all the Nigerians in disapora
$10bn+ to support our brothers at home,without you all our economy for don colapse by now.
keep up the good work.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by RichyBlacK(m): 12:15am On Nov 13, 2009
PeeDaVinci:

what about the cost of the goods (cars, phones, clothes, furnitures, raw materials etc) sent back home ?? anybody to put a value on  that??

From my experience and those of my friends, it seems the cost of goods (cars, phones, computers, books, clothes, furniture, etc) sent back home averages to 1.5 times the amount of cash sent home.

Using the above estimate, Nigerians abroad sent $15 billion in goods home in 2009.

Adding that to the $10 billion gives $25 billion; more than the 2009 federal budget. Most of the budget will be squandered in frivolities by the zombies in Abuja; those pot-bellied pilferers driving aimlessly around the city, doing a horrible job in their mediocre pretenses, along with the multitude of subservient hoodlums, sometimes dressed in black uniforms sometimes not, ready to do anything (beat, maim, shoot and kill) at the behest of the foolish politician they worship.

It saddens me greatly that the country I was born into has the most useless government the universe has ever had the misfortune of witnessing!
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by RichyBlacK(m): 12:19am On Nov 13, 2009
adconline:

Well considering the fact that Nigeria's GDP is in excess of $180 billion [and that is taking into account only the legitimate and formal aspect of the economy which actually accounts for less than 50% of the National economy] one would realize that the so called $10 billion being sent home is peanuts. I would like a comparrison with how much is being siphoned out yearly, stashed away abroad by our politicians and sent to support our struggling brothers over there. I am sure this would be well in excess of the $10 billion our diaspora folks are getting excited about.

This retard does not know that if $10 billion is pumped into Nigeria's GDP of $180 billion,  it will translate to 5.5% growth in GDP. So if there is not significant economic growth next year and Nigerians abroad send another $10 Billion it will positively impact Nigerian economy and the govt will calculate that as an economic growth

Do you mind people like that? They're trying to rubbish the efforts of many of us janitors, dishwashers, corpse cleaners and dressers, manual laborers, street sweepers, car washers and cab drivers, that send money home to solve one problem or another.

Why can't they appreciate our efforts and stop being so paranoid!
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by Physicist(m): 12:27am On Nov 13, 2009
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by naijaking1: 12:31am On Nov 13, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Do you mind people like that? They're trying to rubbish the efforts of many of us janitors, dishwashers, corpse cleaners and dressers, manual laborers, street sweepers, car washers and cab drivers, that send money home to solve one problem or another.

Why can't they appreciate our efforts and stop feekling so paranoid!

Because the very skinny person gets paranoid whenever he hears a joke about dried bones and broken baskets.
They're just working extra hard to cover-up their inadequacies, that's all.  
Physicist:

The total money Nigeria gets from crude oil in a year oil is not up to $40 Billion Dollars. Credit must be given to Nigerians abroad for remitting so much in spite of the hardships some of them face abroad. They remit back home an amount equal to at least 25% of what Nigerian goverment gets in a year.

When this current generation of Nigerians move on, there's no guarrantee that their children in diaspora would have as much connection and need to "send money home" as did their parents. That has been the experience of many other older immigrant groups like Italian, Irish, and even the Polish in America.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by EMC2: 12:33am On Nov 13, 2009
Wow $10bn !!! But is it the same Nigerians in Peckam, Brixton, Hackney, etc, sending this money? LOL

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-350165.0.html
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by MrCrackles(m): 12:35am On Nov 13, 2009
EMC2:

Wow $10bn !!! But is it the same Nigerians in Peckam, Brixton, Hackney, etc, sending this money? LOL
That is why they live in Peckham, Brixton, Hackney etc. . . .
They send all the dosh they make home and live on peanuts here! grin
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by hbrednic: 12:38am On Nov 13, 2009
naijaking1:

Because the very skinny person gets paranoid whenever he hears a joke about dried bones and broken baskets.
They're just working extra hard to cover-up their inadequacies, that's all.  
When this current generation of Nigerians move on, there's no guarrantee that their children in diaspora would have as much connection and need to "send money home" as did their parents. That has been the experience of many other older immigrant groups like Italian, Irish, and even the Polish in America.

well said,if only those lazy people in Abuja will listen.
the free launch will not last forever.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by naijaking1: 12:41am On Nov 13, 2009
EMC2:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-350165.0.html

Yes-o, na we!
We live in abject poverty overseases so that greedy uncles like you can run around in Nigeria thinking they're big boys? We drive cabs, wash toilets, dress corpses, wash dishes; and then get paid. We send 80-90% of the money earned to directly and indirectly to you, unfortunately, people like you don't even know the source of the water on their table.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by ayinba1(f): 12:53am On Nov 13, 2009
Diasporan 3
Nigerians at home (the bad mouthers ONLY) -10(i.e) negative 10 grin
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by JosBoy4Lif(m): 1:00am On Nov 13, 2009
naijaking1:

Yes-o, na we!
We live in abject poverty overseases so that greedy uncles like you can run around in Nigeria thinking they're big boys? We drive cabs, wash toilets, dress corpses, wash dishes; and then get paid. We send 80-90% of the money earned to directly and indirectly to you, unfortunately, people like you don't even know the source of the water on their table.

80-90% my brother? No need to hyperbole so badly
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by wasobia(m): 1:02am On Nov 13, 2009
KUDOS TO ALL FOLKS WHO MADE SIGNIFICANT AND REAL TIME ANALYTICAL STATS OF THE NIGERIA STATE.

I RESPECT YOU ALL. MAY YOU ALL FLORISH IN ALL YOUR PURSUIT.

NICE COMMENT AND ARGUABLE THE BEST I'VE EVER READ ON NL.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by tga: 1:07am On Nov 13, 2009
What is $10bn  angryembarassed just small thing
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by oncolor: 1:08am On Nov 13, 2009
Nigerians in Nigeria will be dissing those abroad, calling them unpatriotic, lost sheep, etc because they are saying the truth about the situation of things in naija, not knowing that Nigerians abroad are contributing to large extent in keeping the country and its economy from utter misery.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by IykeD1(m): 1:14am On Nov 13, 2009

It saddens me greatly that the country I was born into has the most useless government the universe has ever had the misfortune of witnessing!

Ha - be careful ooo, I don't think you are even allowed by "some" Nigerians to say that.  You know, since you don't live in Nigeria, you must shut up
and let them be the ones to criticize,

You know, they don't get it that what kills those in the Diaspora the most is seeing "what could have been" of their country, yet they watch the
country drift even more and more in the opposite direction. Imagine a satellite that is lost in space, oh, never mind that we have one lost some
where out there this moment.

Isn't it amazing that someone will consider $10 billion peanuts? Which other country will that come from but one where everything else works
backwards?
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by naijaking1: 1:27am On Nov 13, 2009
Iyke-D:

Ha - be careful ooo, I don't think you are even allowed by "some" Nigerians to say that. You know, since you don't live in Nigeria, you must shut up
and let them be the ones to criticize,

You know, they don't get it that what kills those in the Diaspora the most is seeing "what could have been" of their country, yet they watch the
country drift even more and more in the opposite direction. Imagine a satellite that is lost in space, oh, never mind that we have one lost some
where out there this moment.

Isn't it amazing that someone will consider $10 billion peanuts? Which other country will that come from but one where everything else works
backwards?

Or a country where people who can't count go about pretending to be able to do so. No joke, I once had an encounter with a cousin-plumber who was asked to do a small repair on our house. He was going to have the job done for #2850, and no questions asked.
Then, I made the mistake of calling him, and asking how much he was charging for the job, he said, just because it was me, he would just charge me #450,000. Shocked, I asked he if he know what he was talking about, "sure, that's how much I collect from people all the time"
I asked him how many zeros were contained in forty five thousand naira, he said two, but he was not taling about #4500.
Morale of this story: somebody, somewhere might not know what's $10billion.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by Beaf: 1:51am On Nov 13, 2009
tga:

What is $10bn  angryembarassed just small thing

naijaking1:

Or a country where people who can't count go about pretending to be able to do so. No joke, I once had an encounter with a cousin-plumber who was asked to do a small repair on our house. He was going to have the job done for #2850, and no questions asked.
Then, I made the mistake of calling him, and asking how much he was charging for the job, he said, just because it was me, he would just charge me #450,000. Shocked, I asked he if he know what he was talking about, "sure, that's how much I collect from people all the time"
I asked him how many zeros were contained in forty five thousand naira, he said two, but he was not taling about #4500.
[size=14pt]Morale of this story: somebody, somewhere might not know what's $10billion[/size].

Unu go wound me one day for dis NL o!

www.nairaland.com/attachments/180447_ROTFLMAO_gif3d0c775232c7f27cf80592785b9635b6
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by ono(m): 3:59am On Nov 13, 2009
Is there a mechanism for tracking the[b] little [/b] that Nigerians at home contribute to the national economy - just for the sake of knowing how much? I pay tax - amounting to some millions of naira every year, deducted at source. Plus I know that my company pay tax to both the state and federal inland revenue people.

Nobody is saying that we all(home and foreign based nigerians alike) are not contributing to the nations economy in one way or another.

This whole wahala btw naija peeps at home and in the diaspora started with someone saying that the folks in the diaspora claim to know much about the problems at home than the folks at home. Any sane person will know that his line of reasoning or his reason for starting such a thread was at best warped. He surely did not get his acts right before putting his hands on the keyboard. People come and go in Nigeria everyday. And depending on credibility of the news source you have at your disposal, and how far and wide you have travelled across the land, you may be classed as someone with firsthand info about what's going on in the country, or an ordinary arm chair critic.

Now, at any time, many of us fall in between the two extreme. We draw up ''intelligent'' conclusions based on the info available to us.

Comparing people at home to those away from home is a futile exercise that does all of us no good.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by OvieE: 4:53am On Nov 13, 2009
Guys, remember that the year is not over yet. During the christmas and new year we will flow more money to our relatives and friends over there.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by posakosa(m): 5:35am On Nov 13, 2009
how much of that billion was earned legitimately---lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

anyhoo--- undecided undecided undecided
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by WAVixen: 7:20am On Nov 13, 2009
posakosa:

how much of that billion was earned legitimately---- lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

I eagerly await the responses to this one! grin
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by naijaking1: 8:01am On Nov 13, 2009
posakosa:

how much of that billion was earned legitimately---- lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

You're shifting the basis of this discussion. What makes you think that the $10B is not legitimate when it has been officially accounted for by respective authorities? The point is that there maybe more that's not legitimate and have not even been account for by anybody. Like someone said already, this amount didn't even include the sum hidden inside luggage, inside panties, inside containers, inside boxes, inside baby foods, inside medicine packs, inside everything naija people could find.
After asking how much came legitimately; I guess your next question would be how much came from washing dishes, and how much came from white-collar jobs
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by Nobody: 8:42am On Nov 13, 2009
does this statistics look real, ok how much has the economy improved, ? I dont believe it!!!
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by Positivity(m): 9:20am On Nov 13, 2009
This confrontation will only encourage the powers that be to plunder the country with impunity, of-course they know you lot are too busy confronting each other over who brings more money to the economy! Pray tell how does that help quell the corruption iin the country? undecided

Diasporians should be appreciated for their contribution to the economy, however let them diasporians digest this piece of info. . .

Afam:

Anyone that contributes to the development of Nigeria should be appreciated.

If you want special appreciation because you send money to your friends and family what type of appreciation will you show to the Nigerians who are doing their best to keep the country going from the bus conductors to the petty traders who push ahead against all odds.

It is funny that the moment the unwarranted insults by Nigerians living outside Nigeria towards Nigerians living in Nigeria were challenged so many diversions have been introduced just to avoid the core issue of unwarranted insults.

I don't know who this Afam dude is but he's got the mindset required to move Naija in the right direction. . . IMO.

We should all bear in mind people reside in Nigeria, rich, middle class and utterly poor. Peeps from all works of life are still giving it their best shot to ensure the country thrives.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by KunleOshob(m): 9:32am On Nov 13, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Nigeria's budget for 2009: N2.67 trillion
Remittance from Nigerians abroad: N1.53 trillion
And your point is?
Well it is not a good comparison to use federal budget to comapre remitances from abroad if you really want to know how much diaspora are contributing to the national economy. The ideal thing to use is a GDP comparision which i staed earlier. Our offical GDP currently stands at $180 billion. [GDP is total value of economic activity in the formal/legitimate ecomony] The truth is that our real GDP is at least double that cause a lot of economic activity in this counrty goes unrecorded. Our informal / illegitimate economy might actually be bigger than what formal / legitimate. in other wards our real GDP when our activities are factored in could be as much as $360 billion and that would make the $10 billion Diasopra are sending home to be a paltry 2.7% of out total economy. That to me is not capable of shaking the national economy tongue
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by nethacker(m): 10:11am On Nov 13, 2009
i am lost
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remit $10bn Home In 2009 - World Bank by popoyeh(m): 10:20am On Nov 13, 2009
Thanks 'naija diasporians', and please don't mind the (alainironu's) here in naija who can't make calculations of what $10b does for the economy even in a 'post recession era'.

Haba, make una applaud this people, if dem no send am, you wan kill dem? Me l appreciate o, my first laptop, digital camera were sent to me by 'diasporian cousins' and l appreciated them so much at the time and even now.

More power to your elbows.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

ODUA City.Including Pictures.It is Time for the Children of Oduduwa to dream big / Igbo Marginalisation is a Big lie and just a Propaganda. / Gunmen Kidnap Shamsideen Abiodun Omotayo, Ikeja Council Clerk, Demand N20m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.