Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,778 members, 7,810,026 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:54 PM

Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. - Crime (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. (64436 Views)

FBI: 20,737 Victims Of Scam Mails Lost $1.2bn / UNIPORT Criminology Graduate Caught Stealing In GTBank In Port-Harcourt. Photos / Armed Robbers Attack Gtbank In Surulere, Lagos In Broad Daylight, Shoot Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by olayinkajnr(m): 4:41pm On Dec 31, 2016
Bahddo:
Whoever waited 30 days before taking this to front page is an idiotic person. Shameless mod/supermod/admin. Even after calling your names, you guys choose to push snake and gossip tales faster than real issues.

Continue like this and Nairaland would lose its relevance in the scheme of things. Ban me if you like.

Lolz, trust me, they can't ban you. They goofed big time.. Nairaland is useless with the set of mods they have now.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by erico2k2(m): 4:42pm On Dec 31, 2016
postemail:
Journey to recover my SIM and Number.

My best bet on recovering my number was any of the Shoprite malls. On a weekend most Etisalat Experience centers are closed. I went to ikeja Mall. The lads there were very helpful. AJ helped me recover my number on the new SIM (right).

It must be very easy for this fraudsters to swap one's SIM. All it takes is a contact working in Etisalat, one with a computer accessible to Etisalat Server and a new SIM. Register the new SIM serial number to the phone number on their server......the old SIM looses network access ( no signal, no calls, no SMS) and the new SIM is active. All your calls are diverted! You are left scratching your head.what happened? Maybe the mast in your neighborhood lost power? Maybe your SIM is corrupted, may be your phone don catch virus! lol
It'd as easy as ABC for the network provider to find out who swapped your service from sim A to Sim B . Problem is they might say you called them and authorise the swap if not you got a good case.The thing is these guys might think they smart but they have done what they think is smart but there is always a digital foot print. His/her logging would be lodged along with the swap command.

4 Likes

Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by An0nimus: 4:47pm On Dec 31, 2016
Postemail

Please edit the first post to show the issue has been resolved.
Some people may not know and start bombarding GTB on Twitter.

Nairaland goofed on this one. Someone made a point about the numerous fake news and counter threads we see on FP and I don't see how this was any different if it turned out false. If you guys are unsure of the facts you can add something like 'ongoing investigation' to the topic on FP to clear yourself.

3 Likes

Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by musicwriter(m): 4:54pm On Dec 31, 2016
@postemail & all.

There's a simple solution to this problem, and I have said it many times on this forum.

(1). Have an account (your major account) that have no access to internet banking, phone banking, ATM. Just make sure you add SMS alert to know when you withdraw money. The reason is that if you have no internet banking, ATM banking, Phone banking, nobody will withdraw money from your account, unless an insider in the bank.

(2). Have another account (ATM account) without internet banking and phone banking that you only use to withdraw money at the ATMs. This is not your major account and you shouldn't put a reasonable sum inside. For mine I've never put more than N300,000 inside.

(3). Have another account (internet account) that you use whenever you want to pay for anything online, Swipes. Only put the amount you want to spend whenever you need it. In fact, I linked mine to paypal and only type the card number, if the merchant doesn't display paypal. Remove ATM banking, phone banking on this.

I have these 3 account categories and all I do is either go the bank branch of the major account to transfer money to the rest. Or, go to the specific branch I hold the account to pay in just the money I want to spend. By the way, they're domiciled in different banks.

Bottom line: Have different accounts for different reasons.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by OMEGA009(m): 4:55pm On Dec 31, 2016
postemail:
Guys, if you have substantial funds in your GTB savings account and an active ATM card, you could fall victim to fraud through *737#. I fell victim to these fraudsters just because I have a savings account at GTB, ATM card and a telephone number registered when my account was opened at LASU branch.

*I'm writing this for the guys at GTB's R & D to take note and secure this convenient SMS banking

*and for the TELECOM providers to sit up and really protect their customers.

* for this fraud to occur all it takes are two vital contacts - a low level staffer at a the bank and a staff at telecom company with a login access and a laptop. And of course a new SIM card and a target victim.

It all started on the night of 26 Nov 2016 at 9.30pm.

I have an account number 021xxx xxx6 with Guaranty Trust Bank(GTB), and a registered telephone number 0818xxxxxxx with Etisalat. This telephone number is linked to my GTB account, and open for SMS banking by default.

On November 26, 2016 , at 9.36pm, my telephone lost network access. I thought it was the usual brief network loss due to power outage. But it wasn't. My number had been swapped to another SIM by an unknown person through the platform of Etisalat. For this swap to occur at this hour of the day, this fraudster must have a person working at one of Etisalat's experience center with login access to Etisalat Servers.

I presume at this point the fraudster has gotten my 16 digits ATM card number through a staff in the bank. I am really suspecting one cashier at ALABA branch; because this fraud occurred on my account after I did a few bulk transactions at the bank.

My phone number was swap to another SIM. I was denied network access. I could neither call nor receive calls and SMS. The telephone number swap resulted in someone using my telephone to illegally withdraw money from my GTB account.

The unauthorized withdrawal from above account started on Saturday 26/11/2016:

1. On 26/11/2016 9.38pm, 30,000naira was transferred to GTB impersonal ledgers account by an unauthorized person through E-Channel (*737#) SMS banking platform.

2. on 27/11/2016 12.34am (around midnight) another 30,000naira was transferred to GTB impersonal ledgers through E-Channel (*737#) SMS banking platform.

3. on 27/11/2016 1.04am (around midnight) 200,000naira was transferred to OYERINDE ABIODUN J -account domiciled at Union Bank Plc through E-Channel (*737#) SMS banking platform.

4. for all above unauthorized withdrawal, GTB subsequently charged and deducted from my account a total of 215 naira as taxes and commissions.

I was able to halt this fraudulent withdrawal on my account by rushing to one of the experience center at Ikeja Shoprite. It was at this Etisalat Experience center that a good lad noticed that someone had swapped my number. He helped me recover my number. But before then the damage had been done. They have nicked 260,000 from my account at this hard times.

I called GTB to cancel my ATM, any other feature or services that's outside in-bank transactions. No more sharp sharp transfer! No more recharging through direct debit from my account. I'm back to buying recharge cards and walking into bank for all my transactions... It's tough but I 'm better safe than sorry.

Just you know how vulnerable this platform(*737#) is, it does NOT require a PIN number to execute a transaction. All that is required is the last four numbers of a victim's ATM card. With this ATM card number, the fraudster can withdraw a maximum of 200,000. That's not all. GTB has another service called GTRescue. If you are in need of quick cash, you can actually exceed that 200,000 daily limit by using GTRescue to withdraw 30,000 cash at an ATM. You see how risky this is? VERY RISKY!

But then my question is how can reputable bank like GTB and ETISALAT not know thus platform is open to fraud? I have googled and read some "angry" reports about customers being ripped off by fraudsters with access to customers ATM card number.

How can the legal guys at the bank just fold alms? Why can't they inform the money managers that having such a platform that exposes customers to frauds makes them culpable before the law?

I have never used my ATM in Nigeria. In fact I don't use ATM. My ATM is tucked away in my safe.

Next Story:
The battle to get a refund.
Visit to GRB fraud unit
Visit to ETisalat Banana island office
Visit to Area A police command Lagos,
Visit to GTB lady branch
Consultation with a lawyer

CC:

Mynd44
OAM4J
r231
Freiburger
MrKnowitall
dominique
naijacutee
puskin
dominique
FOD

For starters, I don't think the bank staff are privy to your atm numbers as only the first 4 and last 4 numbers are visible on their screen. All other numbers appear as *****. Just like people working days customer care in the telecoms coys cannot see your recharge card numbers.

Secondly, you can write a complaint to efccnigeria.org or write them on Facebook or twitter and they'll get to the bottom of it.

1 Like

Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by OMEGA009(m): 4:59pm On Dec 31, 2016
Report them to efccnigeria.org
Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by lawlahbammy(f): 4:59pm On Dec 31, 2016
postemail:
Helloooo fellas!!

We have a reversal! 260,215 reversed back to my account by GTB. Thank God!

Many thanks to mojeks for his "special support." You were indeed very helpful.

Many thanks to dipoolowoo. Thank you so much for taking up my case in the media.

Many thanks to Mr. T @ bunmiano . Your phone call and promise of legal assistance was very comforting. Thanks.

Many thanks to byteem . You schooled me on USSD.

More thanks to rydow , Osyxcel and YOUNGELDER1 .

Please let me know if y'all are in Lagos. I will place orders for Domino pizza for you guys on Sunday, and will pay for the delivery to your location of choice.

MANY THANKS,, GUYS

I really like your doggedness and tenacity.
Thank God for you and your friends.

5 Likes

Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by HARDDON: 5:00pm On Dec 31, 2016
einsteine:
The police can trace the union bank guy and arrest him to get a refund. That's the only sure way.

This particular scam has been on for a year. Banks susceptible include GTB, Access, Zenith, Sterling and Ecobank. Poorly paid telecom staff charge the cyber criminals around 25-70k to help them swap a victims phone number. The criminals also buy accounts for 20-25k to cash out the funds.

Sorry for your loss.

For others hoping to avoid this, ask your network provider to move your sim to "manager" swap. That way, it can only be retrieved by a very senior official.

This is done automatically with phone numbers that started the network ONLY eligible.
Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by Yewandequeen(f): 5:02pm On Dec 31, 2016
So sorry about this Op.

One thing is certain an insider swapped the line. Why? As a directive from NCC for more than 2momths now, its mandatory that all swaps be carried out at network providers accredited showroom /shops and before it can be done the sim pack ia required or an affidavit in absence of it alongside a valid I.D card. So u tell me,if Op didnt do it then and inside that doesn't require all listed protocols above did it. Am 100% sure of this. Sue the network provider biko.

2 Likes

Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by jaymichael(m): 5:04pm On Dec 31, 2016
postemail:
Hello guys,

Do you know that the last four numbers of your ATM card are visible on POS receipt? And a fraudster with access to this receipt can use your last four digits to steal money from your account using the USSD platform.

I was at two places using my ATM card (not GTB card) for payment, and surprise, surprise.... The last four digits are visible on the receipt.. Very dangerous indeed! See attached photo
Yeepaaa! you are absolutely right. I just checked my POS purchase receipt from shoprite for the purchase I made this afternoon, lo and behold my last four digit is staring me in the face. I never imagined how vulnerable this system is.
Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by ALAYORMII: 5:04pm On Dec 31, 2016
postemail:
Email alerts

They won't refund Ur money

You'll only be pushed around
Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by Unsad(m): 5:08pm On Dec 31, 2016
ALAYORMII:

They won't refund Ur money

You'll only be pushed around
He has been refunded already

2 Likes

Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by sinkhole: 5:13pm On Dec 31, 2016
I was just browsing FP and I saw this post shocked @seun you goofed on this! This guy @postemail called you and your mods, many nairalanders called and pleaded with you when postemail was in great distress but you simply kept mute, now that he is happy you want to be associated with his success!
@seun, you either remove this thing from FP or you apologise and keep mute as usual!

6 Likes

Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by odiagabros(m): 5:13pm On Dec 31, 2016
This is exactly what happened to my younger brother... He was also using an etisalat sim... I believe the fruadsters have an insider in both etisalat and Gtbank... And the useless gtbank didn't do anything
Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by MSRA(m): 5:19pm On Dec 31, 2016
@postemail and to all, i dont know if anyone has pointed this out previously on the thread, so i will just quickly point out that I think the loophole is with the ATM card. what i mean is this: i, for instance, dont have an ATM card and yet i do transfers, online of cos. I use the physical token instead of the virtual token. for the virtual token u are required to enter your ATM card's last 4 digits. i get it that the USSD code works offline (ie no internet access required). but my point is this. if you must, do a transfer, ie if for any reason u cant go to the bank, rather than use the *737# thing, do the online transfer or the GTB app. Why? the FOUR-TIER in built security:
1. My User ID
2. My PIN
3. My security question (answer to which no one on earth, possible exception of my wife, can guess)
4. My token
HERES TO A FRAUD FREE 2017, HOPEFULLY, TO ALL! SEE U IN A BIT!

1 Like

Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by ALAYORMII: 5:44pm On Dec 31, 2016
Unsad:

He has been refunded already

That's really awesome

It might not be unconnected with the noise he made on social media

1 Like

Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by dayleke: 5:47pm On Dec 31, 2016
So last last,it eventually reach FP...
Na wa o....
After pleading like no man's biz...

OP, congrats sha...
We are happy for you....
Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by dayleke: 5:50pm On Dec 31, 2016
dayleke:
I still can't believe this is not on front page by now....
Yet dat woman bought a 2016 RR,it was on FP.
Another actress with a customized plate SUV dey FP.
A man with a "land rope" aka snake for his hair is on FP.
And this one that can benefit even people beyond NL still dey languish for here....
Seun and other mods,which way now?

This was on Dec 7th o.......

1 Like

Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by freeman67: 6:04pm On Dec 31, 2016
@op Sorry for your predicament! Thank God it has been resolved.
To make matters worst these days all the banks now have a way of bullying and possibly frustrating bully resistant customers on the use of this their so called cashless Banking. Either the charge you or they outrightly refuse to pay if you want to do transactions below 100 or 50k depending on the branch.

I will like to say that I personally feel Nairaland Mods were fully aware of this complain from the beginning but I guess the management have to seek the consent of the two giant Organisations involved and also verify on their own if the claim by the op is genuine, reason being that;

1. They are both advertisers on this forum and they make their images on this forum so why will the forum horridly put a complain that can instantly put dents on their images on the front/cover page.

2. The Forum generate income from them and it is only a foolish man that will bite a finger that feeds him.

That said, Nairaland Management needed to appease the op and other Nairalanders too as they form the traffic that brings those orgainsations to advertise here. That I feel was not not duly considered. After confirming that his claims were genuine they did not have to wait till it is resolved in order to portray their benefactor as responsive before bringing to the thread to Front Page.
It is still a good thing though that it finally came because others will learn from it.

Incase it dare happen again to anyone immediately you complain to their customer care and there is any sluggish movement, your next move should be to mail them and copy CBNcpd, EFCC, NCC since Teleco is involved and Anti fraud units of all security agencies.

I think we all take this as a lesson and be mindful of our usage of that GTB USSD thing till it is proven that something tangible is done on it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by olanshi: 10:00pm On Dec 31, 2016

Someone also wiped out a wopping Huge Cash from a friends bank account that was dormant from one of this banks lately... Investigation is still on, I will reveal the info once we have gotten to the root of the matter...

Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by chimexdnice(m): 1:34pm On Jan 01, 2017
Happy for you @ op. I wanna ask, reading thru this thread it has just been GTbank and etisalat, what are the chances that something like this can happen with another bank and another network provider?
Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by postemail: 8:27pm On Jan 01, 2017
chimexdnice:
Happy for you @ op. I wanna ask, reading thru this thread it has just been GTbank and etisalat, what are the chances that something like this can happen with another bank and another network provider?

I think it's quite possible for this same vulnerability to be found in any bank that allows funds transfer via the USSD platform; More especially using last four digits of ATM card as PIN.
Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by Maleeq(m): 10:49am On Jan 02, 2017
Damn it!

The 737 is also automatically linked to ALL your accounts. I have a savings account not connected to my ATM card, Once i tried to transfer funds greater than what I had in my checking account, it just went straight into my savings account and zapped it out!

I sent them a mail telling them should i ever suffer any exposure, by this mail, they are 500% liable. Within the hour, they disabled SMS/737 banking on my profile and called me!
Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by postemail: 11:38am On Jan 02, 2017
Maleeq:
Damn it!

The 737 is also automatically linked to ALL your accounts. I have a savings account not connected to my ATM card, Once i tried to transfer funds greater than what I had in my checking account, it just went straight into my savings account and zapped it out!

I sent them a mail telling them should i ever suffer any exposure, by this mail, they are 500% liable. Within the hour, they disabled SMS/737 banking on my profile and called me!

Wow.. Lucky you. You acted fast. 737 links your registered phone to your account. For me I canceled my ATM card that way there is no PIN ( last four digits of ATM card) to authorize money transfer on my phone
Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by freeman67: 6:47pm On Feb 23, 2017
finally the request to add pin has now been granted..

"Dear Customer, you can now choose a 4-digit PIN to complete transfers using *737#. To create your PIN, simply dial *737*5# and follow the prompts."
Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by atilla(m): 2:03am On Feb 24, 2017
See below from gtb today
Kindly check gtb site to confirm its authenticity

Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by okikiosibodu(m): 9:51pm On Dec 16, 2017
postemail:
Helloooo fellas!!

We have a reversal! 260,215 reversed back to my account by GTB. Thank God!

Many thanks to mojeks for his "special support." You were indeed very helpful.

Many thanks to dipoolowoo. Thank you so much for taking up my case in the media.

Many thanks to Mr. T @ bunmiano . Your phone call and promise of legal assistance was very comforting. Thanks.

Many thanks to byteem . You schooled me on USSD.

More thanks to rydow , Osyxcel and YOUNGELDER1 .

Please let me know if y'all are in Lagos. I will place orders for Domino pizza for you guys on Sunday, and will pay for the delivery to your location of choice.

MANY THANKS, GUYS
OP, I am so happy for you. I am just checking bad on the thread since last year.
My I ask..... How did they agree the fault was from them?
Where the perpetrators found?
Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by ollyruffy: 9:58pm On Dec 19, 2017
Hello OP,

Please advise me on how to recover my money back from GTB. I just became a victim today. I lost 150,000naira and 2,000naira in recharge voucher. My phone was off when they did this. Only to get an alert alert on my email.
Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by RussellRutherfo: 8:54pm On Feb 18, 2022
I was defrauded. My question is what is a GTB impersonal ledger account and why can't I see the name of the account holder?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Father And Son Rape His Little Daughter In Cross River State (Photos) / Female Child Kidnapper Caught In Ijora Badia, Lagos, Burnt To Ashes (Graphic) / Photos:Woman Pretending To Be Pregnant Caught Nd Stripped Off Her Bump In Lekki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.