Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,886 members, 7,817,612 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:28 PM

Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. - Crime (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. (64516 Views)

FBI: 20,737 Victims Of Scam Mails Lost $1.2bn / UNIPORT Criminology Graduate Caught Stealing In GTBank In Port-Harcourt. Photos / Armed Robbers Attack Gtbank In Surulere, Lagos In Broad Daylight, Shoot Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by postemail: 9:02pm On Dec 30, 2016
Osyxcel:

Wow, Finally! Congrats! This wouldn't have been possible without the pressure mounted on them.

Congrats once again... A sweet New Year it's gonna be...

Thanks bro. Are you in Lagos? Never mind I will email you.
Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by YOUNGELDER1(m): 9:08pm On Dec 30, 2016
postemail:
Helloooo fellas!!

We have a reversal! 260,215 reversed back to my account by GTB. Thank God!

Many thanks to mojeks for his "special support." You were indeed very helpful.

Many thanks to dipoolowoo. Thank you so much for taking up my case in the media.

Many thanks to Mr. T @ bunmiano . Your phone call and promise of legal assistance was very comforting. Thanks.

Many thanks to byteem . You schooled me on USSD.

More thanks to rydow , Osyxcel and YOUNGELDER1 .

Please let me know if y'all are in Lagos. I will place orders for Domino pizza for you guys on Sunday, and will pay for the delivery to your location of choice.

MANY THANKS, GUYS

congratulations .I hope Etisalat and Gtb investigates further and get those responsible . that would serve as a deterrent for others .
Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by rydow(m): 9:28pm On Dec 30, 2016
postemail:
Helloooo fellas!!

Many thanks to dipoolowoo. Thank you so much for taking up my case in the media.

Many thanks to Mr. T @ bunmiano . Your phone call and promise of legal assistance was very comforting. Thanks.

Please let me know if y'all are in Lagos. I will place orders for Domino pizza for you guys on Sunday, and will pay for the delivery to your location of choice.

MANY THANKS, GUYS

Congratulations @postemail

@ the bold, Your money is your sweat bro, my contributions are just due to similar experience. and the approach to getting it solved. My compensation is the fact that you got your funds back and happy with your families.

Enjoy your DOMINO with FAMZ bro.......

SAFE!

20 Likes

Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by bunmiano: 12:39am On Dec 31, 2016
postemail:
Helloooo fellas!!

MANY THANKS, GUYS

Wow am so happy.. thank God...
Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by sinkhole: 7:34am On Dec 31, 2016
This is a great news. @postemail, note that many nairalanders actually worked at the background on this issue and all thanks must be given to God and Nairaland together with twitter and facebook.
This issue should not stop here because the platform is still vulnerable and people will still be defrauded.
Why can't GTBank use a pin for veryfication of tansaction instead of the last four digits of ATM card?

4 Likes

Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by postemail: 7:42am On Dec 31, 2016
rydow:

@ the bold, Your money is your sweat bro, my contributions are just due to similar experience. and the approach to getting it solved. My compensation is the fact that you got your funds back and happy with your families.

SAFE!

Thanks rydow. I will send you an email.
Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by postemail: 7:50am On Dec 31, 2016
sinkhole:
This is a great news. @postemail, note that many nairalanders actually worked at the background on this issue and all thanks must be given to God and Nairaland together with twitter and facebook.
This issue should not stop here because the platform is still vulnerable and people will still be defrauded.
Why can't GTBank use a pin for veryfication of tansaction instead of the last four digits of ATM card?

Thanks sinkhole . Many folks helped indeed. Now I know the essence of such online community like Nairaland. When people come together and share ideas, they really can move mountain.

1 Like

Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by sinkhole: 9:27am On Dec 31, 2016
postemail:

Thanks sinkhole . Many folks helped indeed. Now I know the essence of such online community like Nairaland. When people come together and share ideas, they really can move mountain.
I am actually thinking if we can open a thread here on Nairaland where people who have had issues with *737# will narrate their issues and such could then be compiled and forwarded to GTBank to lobby them to review the security aspect of the *737# platform (my only problem is the Nairaland moderator and @seun that will refuse to move same to frontpage)!
The *737# platform is a very good and easy platform but the security of the platform is very weak, I do not know why PIN, instead of the current last-four-digit system could not be used. For instance, anybody wishing to use the *737# platform could be asked to do a one-time setting of the PIN on the GTBank website OR the PIN could be set from your phone!
I think their twitter and facebook page will have to be notified

4 Likes

Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by postemail: 2:05pm On Dec 31, 2016
sinkhole:
I am actually thinking if we can open a thread here on Nairaland where people who have had issues with *737# will narrate their issues and such could then be compiled and forwarded to GTBank to lobby them to review the security aspect of the *737# platform (my only problem is the Nairaland moderator and @seun that will refuse to move same to frontpage)!
The *737# platform is a very good and easy platform but the security of the platform is very weak, I do not know why PIN, instead of the current last-four-digit system could not be used. For instance, anybody wishing to use the *737# platform could be asked to do a one-time setting of the PIN on the GTBank website OR the PIN could be set from your phone!

You know there is problem we have in this country, when customers complain about something, these officials or ogas see it as disrespect or hatred. But complaints could serve as a feedback.

In preceding posts I attached a photo of POS receipt showing the last four numbers used by GTB as PIN. I sent them a copy of this receipt on their Twitter account, they didn't reply. For me, it was just an effort to show them the folly of using this sorta PIN that many people could access.

The biggest problem of USSD is the lack of data encryption through the network providers. Even if we use our own PIN, those lads at the telecom could access the data and see the PIN because no encryption. I think the best should be a token device to generate a one time PIN. What do you think?

3 Likes

Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by bunmiano: 2:15pm On Dec 31, 2016
sinkhole:

Seconded... It should be all banks...
Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by bunmiano: 2:19pm On Dec 31, 2016
@postemail.. thank you... I received the airtime... But please share how you went about the processing from the beginning till you were refunded....

Do not forget this... It is very important

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by free2ryhme: 2:21pm On Dec 31, 2016
postemail:
Now this bank is beginning to piss me off. How they charge me 488 for one month's SMS alert?

Insist you want only email notification and no sms
GTbank will rip you if u continue on sms alert
Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by Revolva(m): 2:21pm On Dec 31, 2016
sad sad sad nigerians.....omo i de fear for this our online banking P
Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by Chelseafan1: 2:22pm On Dec 31, 2016
Sorry for your loss, hope u get a refund

GTB is my savings account, I intentionally didn't request for an ATM card, when I wanna withdraw from my account, I simply join the long queue....it even helps me keep my savings for longer period.

No time for stories that touch.

2 Likes

Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by adewumiopeyemi(m): 2:22pm On Dec 31, 2016
gtb need to step there game and telecom provider
Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by ManTiger(m): 2:22pm On Dec 31, 2016
postemail:

Morning Nutase.
I know I have been super careful in my bank dealings. I don't do online(computer) banking. I don't do banking on my smart phone. In fact I use an old "dumb" Nokia touch phone for my GTB transaction (*737#). See photo. How careful can this get? I don't even use my ATM card. It's tucked away in my safe. I just memorized the last four digits of my ATM card. I have never lost my "Nokia touch" phone. I mean, I think I have been super careful knowing that my business transaction are done on this GTB account.

Now Etisalat have my photo and finger print. How can someone else use another SIM to swap my number if not with an insider at one of their experience centers as they are called?

How can a bank use the last four digits of an ATM card as a pin with no option of changing this default pin? I know guys working in the industry and it's possible for a not-so-high ranking staffer to see an ATM card number on finacle.

Bro, how have I been careless?
Don't mind that mofo, some people reason like say na yeast dey dis brain. This is how I've been securing my accts, I simply deactivated SMS alert and no number is registered to my acct.

Once no number is registered to your fone, all those SMS banking won't work.

I requested for token solely meant for internet banking and my email for free transaction notification.

It's more secured!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by Nobody: 2:24pm On Dec 31, 2016
this is why i use bitcoins and a trezor offline wallet device
Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by leofab(f): 2:26pm On Dec 31, 2016
Just waiting for the public holidays to finish so I can hit the GTBank and do some show there.. they just debited me #13,800 for account maintenance.. I can't believe it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by ikorodureporta: 2:30pm On Dec 31, 2016
Telecom operators really need to check their staff............. I bought an mtn sim which is only used for browsing. Neva used it to call or text, but i have received that fraudulent ATM card renewal message about 3 times. How did they get my numba??
Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by kzubyar(m): 2:32pm On Dec 31, 2016
southernbelle:
The service is quick and convenient, but is it completely safe? No!
I hope you can recover your money from those thieves and when you get the major culprit, make sure he pays double.
I nasooooo
Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by Jokkarm: 2:32pm On Dec 31, 2016
I think Gtb has insiders that help defraud people their hard earnings . I noticed that each time I get alert in my Gtb account , i will be receiving those fraudulent massages that I should call a number that my ATM card has been blocked though I will call and curse the idiot which he will cut the call because he knows am a bad market for him .
Gtb authorities should take security serious , they should trace any complain to know the root cause .
Thank you .

3 Likes

Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by ikorodureporta: 2:34pm On Dec 31, 2016
leofab:
Just waiting for the public holidays to finish so I can hit the GTBank and do some show there.. they just debited me #13,800 for account maintenance.. I can't believe it

...u must hav Billions in yr acct grin

2 Likes

Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by Beetobee(f): 2:34pm On Dec 31, 2016
Take it up with the bank ASAP! GtBank has been involved in one too many of such fraud. I was in court two years back when this same sort of fraud case went on. In that instance, 18 million was stolen from that savings account. The bank had to refund the customer and then traced the thief who was caught and is now in Kuje prison.

4 Likes

Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by bestspoke: 2:34pm On Dec 31, 2016
leofab:

ahhhh....Dafuqqq are they maintaining....awon ole...madam bring down their roof if you can undecided undecided
Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by Jokkarm: 2:36pm On Dec 31, 2016
13,800 For what naaa? Is like they are using upur money to maintain their internet mast .
You should meet the branch manager if he fails to act please raise alarm

1 Like

Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by Nobody: 2:37pm On Dec 31, 2016
But all that is actually required to conduct the fraud is porting your number.

It can be one close friend of yours that has established 'connection' with telecoms worker and banker at back office. All he has to do is KNOW that you are loaded and have access to your account number, of course you give people your account number to pay cash to you or give someone check.

Thief pays someone in bank to check your balance or get him into the deal. It must be a staff at back office staff with access to ATM numbers database. Then tips someone in any telecoms company to port your number to his new sim at ANY network, doesnt need Etisalat staff to do that except you are sure it was ported to Etisalat.

Then thief waits, right time. mid-nights and weekends or holiday. Then he strikes.

Lesson for everyone: Do not let your friends and associates to know you are loaded. I think its someone that knows you and your cash-flow that has defrauded you. And you may be drinking beer with the person right now and he is consoling you.

Solution: PIN has to be introduced for SMS banking. Its a lofty module.

4 Likes

Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by bamasite(m): 2:39pm On Dec 31, 2016
Am following this.......let me borrow space bookers' terms: I SPREAD MAT

I was working on an article for protecting oneself from scams via SMS banking and now that this is here, I got to follow the thread. Op am sorry for the loss. Do all you can and we will support you in any way you want us to!

This battle will cause a reform and be an answer to many that have ignored their own case either because they felt it was a 'little token' or they did not know what to do
Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by Iceeydee: 2:39pm On Dec 31, 2016
And it's now that the mods found it suitable to push this to FP.

SMH! undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by dabossman(m): 2:42pm On Dec 31, 2016
postemail:
Helloooo fellas!!

MANY THANKS, GUYS

Congratulations bro. It's really disappointing that this didn't make front-page for months. Na wa o. Everything is not about snakes, cleavages and who wore what better.
Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by redcliff: 2:44pm On Dec 31, 2016
rydow:

SAFE!

you be correct guy!
Re: Fraud Alert! Gtbank *737# Is Very Risky. by bamasite(m): 2:45pm On Dec 31, 2016
Iceeydee:
And it's now that the mods found it suitable to push this to FP.

SMH! undecided
My brother I tire! When we have been having all manner of trash on front page. Who naked and who almost naked as if the nudity help anybody!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Policeman Faints While Trying To Arrest A Suspect In Agege, Lagos / 19-Year-Old Eseosa Odemwingie Commits Suicide In Lagos (Photos) / My Girlfriend Refused To Have Sex With Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.