Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,386 members, 7,861,059 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 10:39 PM

Why NCC Directed Big Telcos To Increase Data Tariffs – official - Phones (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why NCC Directed Big Telcos To Increase Data Tariffs – official (29379 Views)

Telecom Operators Demand 100% Increase In Call, Data Tariffs / Why NCC Asked Big Operators To Raise Data Tariffs / GSM Companies To Increase Data Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why NCC Directed Big Telcos To Increase Data Tariffs – official by galadima77(m): 8:50pm On Nov 30, 2016
The THUNDER that will fire whoever had a contribution in this hiking of tarrif will be 2017 model... and never imagined b4
Re: Why NCC Directed Big Telcos To Increase Data Tariffs – official by outflank: 10:03pm On Nov 30, 2016
I didn't expect anything more; clueless government.
Re: Why NCC Directed Big Telcos To Increase Data Tariffs – official by Fstdammie(m): 11:14pm On Nov 30, 2016
If Shekau is the President of Nigeria, he will surely perform better than this old fool u guy selected as ur epitome of Change. Hell is approaching, that's why he's misbehaving
Re: Why NCC Directed Big Telcos To Increase Data Tariffs – official by AjanleKoko: 11:37am On Dec 01, 2016
oyb:
if ntel, smile, and the rest of the small operators pack up, it is these same wailers who will be screaming about the economy.
take it or leave it, this is what a responsible regulator does.
starcomms and visafone died some years ago for the same reason .

They died for a different reason. Not tariffs.
They died because they simply could not achieve scale. For both Visafone and Starcomms, they gave it their best shot, even took a lot of risky bets (which in the case of Starcomms eventually bled them out), and saw results, but they had serious usability limitations. Handset OEMs like Nokia and Blackberry were not making devices for them, they had to go and source ODM devices from China.
The data also, I think they could not really leverage properly cos of the way they used their spectrum. They had the opportunity to break grounds for data way ahead of the operators' launching UMTS, but like everyone else they focused on voice, and lost big.

Personally I don't think a price floor will save any small operator per se. MTN's LTE sites are 1000+, more than all of Smile, Swift, and Spectranet sites combined. The smaller operators won't have the coverage as well as the capacity to support a whole bunch of users. There is also the usability of the product. The big operators have 2G/3G/4G backward compatibility, so they would be a lot more easy to use, in a way that doesn't change the user's behaviour.

How do I mean usability? On my etisalat now, my device picks up LTE signals where it's available, without having to do anything or change anything. As opposed to Smile and ntel asking you to use an app for voice calls on your LTE smartphone, and Swift and Spectranet asking you to buy Mifis and routers only. Its going to be challenging for the average user who doesn't want a break in service, whether it's 2G or 3G or 4G, they just want the service. So it will be a lot of work, and frankly most of the smaller guys don't have the resources to do it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Experience With Easy Buy / Apple Set To Release The Iphone 13 In Nigeria / Pictures From Infinix Note 30 Launch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.