Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,785 members, 7,817,256 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:53 AM

FG Distributes Smartphones With Agric Apps To Rice Farmers In Nigeria - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / FG Distributes Smartphones With Agric Apps To Rice Farmers In Nigeria (21836 Views)

Imota Rice Mill: Lagos To Train And Empower Farmers In Rice Production / Rice Farmers, Others To Access Bill Gate's $30bn Agriculture Grant / Cassava: FG Distributes High Yielding, Disease Resistant Stems To Farmers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Distributes Smartphones With Agric Apps To Rice Farmers In Nigeria by mapet: 10:54pm On Dec 01, 2016
Jokerman:
Isn't this a GEJ/Adeshina Agric policy idea??

Yes........ and taking it steps further
Re: FG Distributes Smartphones With Agric Apps To Rice Farmers In Nigeria by coaco(m): 10:56pm On Dec 01, 2016
Na corrupt government b dis ooooooo.
Re: FG Distributes Smartphones With Agric Apps To Rice Farmers In Nigeria by mapet: 10:57pm On Dec 01, 2016
afanide:

You go ask farmers how fertilizer was accessible and subsidized during Jonathan's tenure. Can you compare the price of fertilizer then and now stop being biased and talk with facts.

Bros,

Even with the introduction of phones and customised number pool, fertilizers did not go round during GEJ's government. Fertilizers hardly got to the South. At a forum, Adesina was suprised when reps from the south complained.
Re: FG Distributes Smartphones With Agric Apps To Rice Farmers In Nigeria by Weedcrusher: 11:38pm On Dec 01, 2016
mapet:

...... Slow down

1. Who told you that the Rice plantersin the CBN-led anchor farmer/borrower program use hoe and cutlass? You need to find out about an initiative before you argue way off tangent.
2. I do not see logic in your arguement wrt App. You acknowledge developed world use it to rapidly increase their production, yet you fault the fact that we are embracing it.......so we should stick to hoe and cutlass?

I said earlier that it is a nice thing only if it's relevant. I will tell you what are relevant.

1. Training farmers on environmental parameters such as soil pH, temperature, proper irrigation, pest management etc. to optimize their production

2. Provision of Mechanized farm equipment such as combine and harvester at subsidized rate

3. Financial support in form of low interest rate loans

4. Training and support for proper storage of harvested crops

5. Public awareness to buy made in Nigeria rice

I don't know what the app is about, but one thing I know is that you need data to use an app, and my guess is there will be no or limited data availability in most of the farms
Re: FG Distributes Smartphones With Agric Apps To Rice Farmers In Nigeria by mapet: 12:51am On Dec 02, 2016
Weedcrusher:

I said earlier that it is a nice thing only if it's relevant. I will tell you what are relevant.

1. Training farmers on environmental parameters such as soil pH, temperature, proper irrigation, pest management etc. to optimize their production

2. Provision of Mechanized farm equipment such as combine and harvester at subsidized rate

3. Financial support in form of low interest rate loans

4. Training and support for proper storage of harvested crops

5. Public awareness to buy made in Nigeria rice

I don't know what the app is about, but one thing I know is that you need data to use an app, and my guess is there will be no or limited data availability in most of the farms

1. All What you listed is currently being done and much more. I will advise you follow Federal Ministry of Agric on twitter
2. What indices did you reference to assert that there will be limited or no availability of Data to farmers, especially the farmers in this context? Logically, this option would not have been taken starting from Dr. Adesina under GEJ and till now, if there would have been limited data access
3. The need and the use of the App is more comprehensive than you imagine. The App is just an interface with a set of stakeholders. What is much more important is the fact that they are collecting and using data to revolutionize the Agribusiness value chain. The App is supposed to help collect data for predictive planning purposes and for effective collaboration among farmers, extention workers, suppliers, mid-level customers, Silo/Storage owner etc
Re: FG Distributes Smartphones With Agric Apps To Rice Farmers In Nigeria by Chigold101(m): 1:09am On Dec 02, 2016
kenonze:
very good move although the impact will be negligible for now but in time to come the benefits will be awesome.
how many of them of can operate this phone?

1 Like

Re: FG Distributes Smartphones With Agric Apps To Rice Farmers In Nigeria by MALIK15: 1:22am On Dec 02, 2016
Preciousojoka:
The National Cereals Research Institute (NCRI) Commenced a training course of how to use smartphones for farming among rice farmers in Nigeria. This program which is aimed at boosting rice production in Nigeria had 50 rice farmers extension officers in training.

This training didn't cover most locations in Nigeria, drawing few participants from Kogi, Nassarawa, Ebonyi, Niger, and Kebbi state (Riverside areas) where farmers focus mainly on rice production.

According to Agboire Samuel Acting Executive Director NCRI In an event in Lokoja; the gesture was part of the Federal Government's policy aimed at scaling rice production in the country to meet local and export needs.

http://www.preshtech.com/2016/12/rice-farmers-in-nigeria-get-smartphones.html

Re: FG Distributes Smartphones With Agric Apps To Rice Farmers In Nigeria by MALIK15: 1:29am On Dec 02, 2016
[quote author=MALIK15 post=51558757][/quote] Cheap Nigerian Refined and polished Rice, sai. baba is not lying.

Re: FG Distributes Smartphones With Agric Apps To Rice Farmers In Nigeria by MALIK15: 1:38am On Dec 02, 2016
MALIK15:
Cheap Nigerian Refined and polished Rice, sai. baba is not lying.

Re: FG Distributes Smartphones With Agric Apps To Rice Farmers In Nigeria by onatisi(m): 4:27am On Dec 02, 2016
Chigold101:

how many of them of can operate this phone?
You guys no dey hear word. I told you the phone can operate itself,all the farmer needs to do is just to hold it . Giving Mobil phones to farmers in areas where there is no light is the best decision .
Re: FG Distributes Smartphones With Agric Apps To Rice Farmers In Nigeria by OHIsIManuEL(m): 6:27am On Dec 02, 2016
mapet:

Unfortunately, many of you lot have little minds, not imaginative or cerebral enough to even reason out why the need for the initative. You take the easy way out, i.e. condemn in the most ignorant manner..............

In Kenya, concepts like this was used successfully to close the gap in financial inclusion, hence farmers and other artisans in remote location can access information and make financial transaction using apps ...........

But why do I care...... Ignorance is free and easy
Kenya is kenya, this is Nigeria, watch how this will be mismanaged and useless.
Re: FG Distributes Smartphones With Agric Apps To Rice Farmers In Nigeria by WizBLANCE(m): 6:37am On Dec 02, 2016
Most things the FG claim to give out to farmer always end up in the hands of the lucky few... I will not be surprise if tomorrow someone somewhere is probed for making millions from this so call aid to farmers.
Re: FG Distributes Smartphones With Agric Apps To Rice Farmers In Nigeria by uzolexis(f): 6:41am On Dec 02, 2016
Skseries:
same way gej subsidize fertilizer that till now nigeria can boast of being self sufficient in any food produce. Abegi cut the crap

when GEJ subsidised fertilizer, agricultural productivity grew substantially and agriculture started contributing more to our GDP than oil.
Re: FG Distributes Smartphones With Agric Apps To Rice Farmers In Nigeria by uzolexis(f): 6:46am On Dec 02, 2016
obailala:
It is not by creating policies, what matters is efficiently implementing the thousands of policies lying fallow over the years and extracting results from them. Nobody is in a competition to create policy, Nigeria has never lacked creative policies, fruitful implementation has always been the problem.

But these policy was being implemented under Adesina, our agric sector grew substantially.
Re: FG Distributes Smartphones With Agric Apps To Rice Farmers In Nigeria by uzolexis(f): 6:48am On Dec 02, 2016
uzoexcel:
booking this space..i have a long write up coming up but i ll be called a conspiracy buff if i put it up here...still thinking

write what you want to write jor, stop forming intellectual tongue
Re: FG Distributes Smartphones With Agric Apps To Rice Farmers In Nigeria by afanide: 8:47am On Dec 02, 2016
rabex123:
go and sleep.. Flat head talking about farming

You farm pass me
Re: FG Distributes Smartphones With Agric Apps To Rice Farmers In Nigeria by mapet: 8:50am On Dec 02, 2016
OHIsIManuEL:

Kenya is kenya, this is Nigeria, watch how this will be mismanaged and useless.

It will be a shame on us as a people if something so simple yet innovative can work in Kenya and fail in Nigeria. That in fact is a shame on you and I and every Nigerian
Re: FG Distributes Smartphones With Agric Apps To Rice Farmers In Nigeria by Danimighty7(m): 9:06am On Dec 02, 2016
pure stupidity
Farmers wey go sell the phone
Re: FG Distributes Smartphones With Agric Apps To Rice Farmers In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:55pm On Dec 02, 2016
Just be very observant Fulani herdsmen and bokoharam attacks will be focused to cause unrest around these farmers hereby causing rice shortage only to be replaced with GMOs.

Its a world elitist agenda against Nigeria headed by Bill Gates & Monsanti aided in Nigeria by the northern oligarch spearheaded by Aliko Dangote
Re: FG Distributes Smartphones With Agric Apps To Rice Farmers In Nigeria by Weedcrusher: 3:53pm On Dec 02, 2016
mapet:

1. All What you listed is currently being done and much more. I will advise you follow Federal Ministry of Agric on twitter
2. What indices did you reference to assert that there will be limited or no availability of Data to farmers, especially the farmers in this context? Logically, this option would not have been taken starting from Dr. Adesina under GEJ and till now, if there would have been limited data access
3. The need and the use of the App is more comprehensive than you imagine. The App is just an interface with a set of stakeholders. What is much more important is the fact that they are collecting and using data to revolutionize the Agribusiness value chain. The App is supposed to help collect data for predictive planning purposes and for effective collaboration among farmers, extention workers, suppliers, mid-level customers, Silo/Storage owner etc

Thanks for the explanation
Re: FG Distributes Smartphones With Agric Apps To Rice Farmers In Nigeria by Skseries: 5:52pm On Dec 02, 2016
uzolexis:

when GEJ subsidised fertilizer, agricultural productivity grew substantially and agriculture started contributing more to our GDP than oil.
keep telling urslf that till u actually believe it....i dnt av time for arguments.
Re: FG Distributes Smartphones With Agric Apps To Rice Farmers In Nigeria by Willybos(m): 12:34pm On Dec 03, 2016
sammyj:
Happy birthday Bro.Long life and more prosperous moments to come!!!
Thank u so much ma broda..... may God bless u!
Re: FG Distributes Smartphones With Agric Apps To Rice Farmers In Nigeria by Chigold101(m): 2:07am On Dec 05, 2016
grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
onatisi:

You guys no dey hear word. I told you the phone can operate itself,all the farmer needs to do is just to hold it . Giving Mobil phones to farmers in areas where there is no light isnthe best decision .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Start A Lucrative Business This Year(rabbit Farming) / Ooni Ogunwusi's Acres Of Cashew Plantation Excites NCAN / Dame Jonathan Commissions Nigeria’s Newly Acquired Fishing Vessel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.