Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:51 AM

Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please (18532 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by r231(m): 9:02pm On Nov 13, 2009
^^^^^you are so right grin grin
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by inspiredm(m): 10:50pm On Nov 13, 2009
Delta007:

Immigrating to Canada as a Visitor is fine; however, a Visitor's Status (keyword is Status) only allows you to stay in the country for a maximum of 6mths (unless stated otherwise - usually less); then, you have to re-enter the country again. You have to realise a Visa is an entry document; so even if you are given a 1 day Visa or 20yr Visa, you can only stay in the country for 6mths before you re-enter. You are not allowed to work, school, business, etc. The only ways you can become a Permanent Resident (PR) from a Visitor's status is:

- Switch to a Study Visa: If you have an undergrad and have been hoping to develop yourself some more, then applying for a Masters program might not be a bad idea. You may be able to run your business (depending on its nature) and carryout your program at the same time. Switching to a Study Visa while being in Canada on a Visitor's Visa is relatively easy. You get the admission and send the application and all related documents to the nearest embassy (usually Buffalo). As a Nigerian, you'd be required to do medicals; all these could take 4-5mths before you finally get a Study Visa; and remember, you can only stay in the country for 6mths. This means you need to get the process going immediately you get in; perhaps get the admission before you get in. What this does, is that it enables you to buy time while you put in a PR application and it's being processed. When you graduate, you are also eligible for a 3yr work permit which is more than enough time to get your PR status. Now, as a businessman, you probably have some experience so you may qualify for a couple categories; however, this process could take 6mths for some and it could take 2yrs for the others. Funny enough, you can apply from Nigeria; however, it's only one office in Accra that processes all applications for W.Africa so you are pretty sure that it would take you more than 2yrs before you get a decision.

- Marry someone in Canada and get her/him to sponsor you: If you came in on a Visitor's Visa and got married in Canada, your spouse could sponsor you, regardless of your status. This means that even if you overstayed (which frankly, I do not advice), and eventually fall in love with someone and legally get married, you can become a PR if your spouse agree to sponsor you. Now, this is an area which alot of people exploit, not just Nigerians (Indians, Pakistanis, Carribeans, etc) and the Canadian Immigration is quite aware of it. Hence, the onus is always on you and your spouse to prove that your relationship is genuine and not just for papers. There are also restrictions on who can sponsor and your sponsor (spouse) will be responsible for your upkeep for 3yrs.

- Get a job and get your company to sponsor you: If you are one of those sought-after professionals or you are in that line of field, there's a likelihood you could get a job and the company would sponsor you to get a work permit. These cases are rare but very possible. Most firms these days try to stay away from all these immigration wahala so they'd tell you to come back when you get your papers. However firms that are desperate do make the effort to get you the right papers. In your case, they'd also need to go the extra mile and prove that no Canadian has applied for the job or those who applied are not qualified enough for the job. If you can get a work permit, then you bought yourself time and it's a much easier route to get a PR status.

There are some business loopholes you could exploit but it's not an easy task.

My advice: If you think of improving your skills, you may want to go the study route; perhaps this is the right time since you are still single. However, if that's not your cup of coffee, you may want to start by putting in an application from Nigeria for a PR status. While you make your money in Nigeria, the clock is ticking on your application. Perhaps in 3yrs, you may be approved and you may have a much better perspective of how you want your business to evolve as well as your future family plans. It may not be a wise idea to kill a cash cow just because you want to move to an unknown. You may also want to get a Visitor's visa and travel to see how things are so as to put plans together and put a good struture to your business so that you do not always need to be onground to get maximum revenue. Or wait till when you get your PR status so that you can move relatively easily and operate your business from both ends. I hope I made some sense. Goodluck!

Good Advice.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by Pharoh: 11:06pm On Nov 13, 2009
^^ Seconded
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by agathamari(f): 7:44pm On Nov 14, 2009
@poster think about what you said.  canada's populations is DECLINING.  why do you think that is?  i have been to canada more times then i can count and have had relatives live there and some like it (ones in ontario) and others despised it (namely those in quebec and newfondland) you wont make 1million niara in a year yet alone a month in canada. they have an insanely high tax rate and you must pay your taxes, not like here in nigeria. the cold there is like nithing you could imagine and depending where in canada you go you will have to adjust to not only artic temeratures but a change in daylight (the far north you have literaly 6 months of darkness and 6 of light.) one thing i would love to see is someone from here see/hear the aurora, there is nothing more beautifuy or creepy in the world. like tony blair said you can judge a country and its appeal by whether people are coming into or leaving.  if the population is DECLINING then there is a reason for it.

1 Like

Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by Hotstepper(f): 4:29am On Nov 15, 2009
@agathamari, Canada population is not declining, where did u get da info from?
do u know dat in Toronto now dat its still like summer,
da weather in Canada is just like da one u will see in most US cities and in terms of weather a sof early this year stats, Canada is third after US and Russia
Canada is good but he cannot make 10,000 dollars a month
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by tunnytox(m): 12:17pm On Nov 15, 2009
Delta007:

Immigrating to Canada as a Visitor is fine; however, a Visitor's Status (keyword is Status) only allows you to stay in the country for a maximum of 6mths (unless stated otherwise - usually less); then, you have to re-enter the country again. You have to realise a Visa is an entry document; so even if you are given a 1 day Visa or 20yr Visa, you can only stay in the country for 6mths before you re-enter. You are not allowed to work, school, business, etc. The only ways you can become a Permanent Resident (PR) from a Visitor's status is:

- Switch to a Study Visa: If you have an undergrad and have been hoping to develop yourself some more, then applying for a Masters program might not be a bad idea. You may be able to run your business (depending on its nature) and carryout your program at the same time. Switching to a Study Visa while being in Canada on a Visitor's Visa is relatively easy. You get the admission and send the application and all related documents to the nearest embassy (usually Buffalo). As a Nigerian, you'd be required to do medicals; all these could take 4-5mths before you finally get a Study Visa; and remember, you can only stay in the country for 6mths. This means you need to get the process going immediately you get in; perhaps get the admission before you get in. What this does, is that it enables you to buy time while you put in a PR application and it's being processed. When you graduate, you are also eligible for a 3yr work permit which is more than enough time to get your PR status. Now, as a businessman, you probably have some experience so you may qualify for a couple categories; however, this process could take 6mths for some and it could take 2yrs for the others. Funny enough, you can apply from Nigeria; however, it's only one office in Accra that processes all applications for W.Africa so you are pretty sure that it would take you more than 2yrs before you get a decision.

- Marry someone in Canada and get her/him to sponsor you: If you came in on a Visitor's Visa and got married in Canada, your spouse could sponsor you, regardless of your status. This means that even if you overstayed (which frankly, I do not advice), and eventually fall in love with someone and legally get married, you can become a PR if your spouse agree to sponsor you. Now, this is an area which alot of people exploit, not just Nigerians (Indians, Pakistanis, Carribeans, etc) and the Canadian Immigration is quite aware of it. Hence, the onus is always on you and your spouse to prove that your relationship is genuine and not just for papers. There are also restrictions on who can sponsor and your sponsor (spouse) will be responsible for your upkeep for 3yrs.

- Get a job and get your company to sponsor you: If you are one of those sought-after professionals or you are in that line of field, there's a likelihood you could get a job and the company would sponsor you to get a work permit. These cases are rare but very possible. Most firms these days try to stay away from all these immigration wahala so they'd tell you to come back when you get your papers. However firms that are desperate do make the effort to get you the right papers. In your case, they'd also need to go the extra mile and prove that no Canadian has applied for the job or those who applied are not qualified enough for the job. If you can get a work permit, then you bought yourself time and it's a much easier route to get a PR status.

There's also the business category but it's a much tougher sell unless you have more than $300k in your account at the moment.

My advice: If you think of improving your skills, you may want to go the study route; perhaps this is the right time since you are still single. However, if that's not your cup of coffee, you may want to start by putting in an application from Nigeria for a PR status. While you make your money in Nigeria, the clock is ticking on your application. Perhaps in 3yrs, you may be approved and you may have a much better perspective of how you want your business to evolve as well as your future family plans. It may not be a wise idea to kill a cash cow just because you want to move to an unknown. You may also want to get a Visitor's visa and travel to see how things are so as to put plans together and put a good struture to your business so that you do not always need to be onground to get maximum revenue. Or wait till when you get your PR status so that you can move relatively easily and operate your business from both ends. I hope I made some sense. Goodluck!

your advise is not too bad but do you reckon that people don't immigrate as a visitor?
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by agathamari(f): 3:19pm On Nov 15, 2009
Hotstepper:

@agathamari, Canada population is not declining, where did u get da info from?
do u know dat in Toronto now dat its still like summer,
da weather in Canada is just like da one u will see in most US cities and in terms of weather a sof early this year stats, Canada is third after US and Russia
Canada is good but he cannot make 10,000 dollars a month
im not saying it is declining HE said it was declining in an ealier post.   ok the ONLY us states that have similar weather to canada is alaska, maine, new hampshire and vermont.  hell places like arizona, new mexico, utah and parts of texas are similar to the wether in nigeria for crying out loud.  its november so in canada and the rest of the northern hemisphere it is WINTER.  you know the time of snow and ice.  and what are you talking about canada is 3rd?  to what?  land mass?  try again russia is first, then canada then (depending on referance) us then china.  some people in canada are making $20,000 a year some even less then that
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by leye1234(m): 3:44pm On Nov 15, 2009
@poster,
I just don't understand how some people are buying your STORY. For the life of me, If its true you are making one million a month, why in the world will you be thinking of relocating?

1 Like

Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by boy1(m): 5:20pm On Nov 15, 2009
leye1234:

@poster,
I just don't understand how some people are buying your STORY. For the life of me, If its true you are making one million a month, why in the world will you be thinking of relocating?
if guys abroad have d opportunity to make such amount of money in naija,they'll definitely come back home.
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by Hotstepper(f): 6:18am On Nov 16, 2009
@agathamari, kool down 4 Jesus
even in US, people make less dan 20,000 a year and read my post again, I said he wont make up to 10,000 a month (depending on da nature of the biz)
b/w, the stats of the weather came out last year cuz I wrote a paper on dat and yes, its that part of da US that they mentioned 2 put Canada in 3rd place
Do u know that last week, Washington State had to close some of their airports cuz of snow/bad weather and no snow yet in Canadian cities and Toronto is still like summer/spring
B/w, try going to OHIO, INDIANA, CHICAGO, BOSTON, MD, VA, DC, NY, NJ and environs and it da same weather as most of Canadian States and even a city like Vancouver does not even experience winter really cuz its mostly rain in Vancouver, in fact in dat BC area
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by no1madman(m): 9:56am On Nov 16, 2009
i dey craze. . . . . . grin tongue cool smiley
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by paddylo1(m): 10:59am On Nov 16, 2009
ol boy this poster,i dont believe u,but if u are for real heres what u should do,

take a 2 months vacation to canada,get someone to run your business while u are away,pick any city over there that u may like to settle down in and do your vacation there,i promise u after 2 months u will have an idea of how life is and how u might adjust,again if u make #12m a yr (about $80,000),u can afford the vacation

now here is my advice,STAY HOME, the cash flow from your business makes u in the upper class of earners even here in america,talkless of canada
there is nothing here that u cant get over there even cheaper,due to cost of living and low or no direct taxes in nigeria
u talk about your wife and kids,well me i am single too and i will go home to naija to get married,but if u insist your wife can always travel out with u and give birth abroad to get the kpali u desire for your kids
u say u are scared of nigeria,well my man nobody is safe anywhere,we just pray that we dont live through another terrorist attack here in the states,its a recurring theme
about your business and plans to set up one in canada,have u heard of estate taxes?,do u know that when u die most of your wealth is taken over by the government,thats why most rich people here have foundations where they donate their wealth to after they die,u cant even pass it on to your kids,there is a limit on how much u can give them, in nigeria your wealth is yours if u die your houses and land and so on is passed to your kids
and even if u pass your houses on to your kids here if they cant pay the property taxes on it(for ever),it will be seized and sold

my guy stay in naija and enjoy your money,maybe u should move to abuja or lekki,if u need that yankee feeling,
i am telling u all this cause am young and not married too,but i was lucky i came here immediately after i graduated from uni in naija and i have a unique perspective on both places,if u down on your luck with no way out,then its good to emigrate,but if u living large back home,then u would be a FOOL to leave that and come here
for me it was always a need to visit yankee,and i have satisfied that need so am not staying for long,plus i have strong family ties back home

that is another thing u should consider,it may sound like fun just uprooting yourself and marrying someone from anywhere in the world like u claim u want,but its hard to break from your family back home,move to a different country marry someone from a different culture and live happily ever after,its mostly easier said than done,and for most ppl here divorce is not a big deal,

good luck

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by damola1: 12:18pm On Nov 16, 2009
Relocate, if you must, wish u d best,
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by cvibe: 10:12pm On Nov 16, 2009
Put your business here in autopilot and relocate if you wish.
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by inspiredm(m): 12:36am On Nov 17, 2009
paddy_lo:

ol boy this poster,i dont believe u,but if u are for real heres what u should do,

take a 2 months vacation to canada,get someone to run your business while u are away,pick any city over there that u may like to settle down in and do your vacation there,i promise u after 2 months u will have an idea of how life is and how u might adjust,again if u make #12m a yr (about $80,000),u can afford the vacation

now here is my advice,STAY HOME, the cash flow from your business makes u in the upper class of earners even here in america,talkless of canada
there is nothing here that u cant get over there even cheaper,due to cost of living and low or no direct taxes in nigeria
u talk about your wife and kids,well me i am single too and i will go home to naija to get married,but if u insist your wife can always travel out with u and give birth abroad to get the kpali u desire for your kids
u say u are scared of nigeria,well my man nobody is safe anywhere,we just pray that we dont live through another terrorist attack here in the states,its a recurring theme
about your business and plans to set up one in canada,have u heard of estate taxes?,do u know that when u die most of your wealth is taken over by the government,thats why most rich people here have foundations where they donate their wealth to after they die,u cant even pass it on to your kids,there is a limit on how much u can give them, in nigeria your wealth is yours if u die your houses and land and so on is passed to your kids
and even if u pass your houses on to your kids here if they cant pay the property taxes on it(for ever),it will be seized and sold

my guy stay in naija and enjoy your money,maybe u should move to abuja or lekki,if u need that yankee feeling,
i am telling u all this cause am young and not married too,but i was lucky i came here immediately after i graduated from uni in naija and i have a unique perspective on both places,if u down on your luck with no way out,then its good to emigrate,but if u living large back home,then u would be a FOOL to leave that and come here
for me it was always a need to visit yankee,and i have satisfied that need so am not staying for long,plus i have strong family ties back home

that is another thing u should consider,it may sound like fun just uprooting yourself and marrying someone from anywhere in the world like u claim u want,but its hard to break from your family back home,move to a different country marry someone from a different culture and live happily ever after,its mostly easier said than done,and for most ppl here divorce is not a big deal,

good luck

Very Good Advice Too.

You are the Best Guy EVER !!!
cool cool
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by igbonla(m): 1:46am On Nov 17, 2009
Delta007 gave some advice you can use. I wont say much for now because you are not even qualified to relocate yet, whatever you do, make sure the relocation is legit so you don't start running from your shadow!

Relocation is not an easy thing especially if you like point and kill for Mushin cheesy

People have said don't do it because 1 million naira every month is big money! I will say don't do it until you have a plan. You will succeed wherever you go, it won't happen immediately but shouldn't be difficult for a businessman like you. I don't care whether it's only 2 hours of day and 22 hours of night, wherever a man find peace is where home is.

Don't have much time to write now maybe I will stop by later.
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by DisGuy: 12:16pm On Nov 17, 2009
leye1234:

@poster,

Exactly! the guy has never been to Canada yet he wants to relocate there!!
If you are really making N1m in nigeria you wouldn't need an agent!
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by agathamari(f): 12:33pm On Nov 17, 2009
Hotstepper:

@agathamari, kool down 4 Jesus
even in US, people make less dan 20,000 a year and read my post again, I said he wont make up to 10,000 a month (depending on da nature of the biz)
b/w, the stats of the weather came out last year cuz I wrote a paper on dat and yes, its that part of da US that they mentioned 2 put Canada in 3rd place
Do u know that last week, Washington State had to close some of their airports cuz of snow/bad weather and no snow yet in Canadian cities and Toronto is still like summer/spring
B/w, try going to OHIO, INDIANA, CHICAGO, BOSTON, MD, VA, DC, NY, NJ and environs and it da same weather as most of Canadian States and even a city like Vancouver does not even experience winter really cuz its mostly rain in Vancouver, in fact in dat BC area
HELLO! I was BORN in OHIO, In AKRON  I have lived in 8 us states as well as in st johns and ottawa in canada.  I m a f*cking american, I married a nigerian.  Currently at this moment the weather in vancover is in celcius 7 degrees, toronto is -2.  The expected high for toronto is 8 degrees for today.  This sound like summer to you? These are some of the warmer areas of canada.  How about yellowknife where it is -14C at the moment.   States like michigan, new york, ohio, pennsylvania have “lake effect” which means their weather patterns are exadurated by the great lakes and the moisture coming from them when it mixes with the polar currents coming down from CANADA! The pacific Northwest (includes british columbia) weather paterns are effected by the ocean currents coming UP from MEXICO.  The first snowfall for toronto was OCT 8th and nearly 1/4 of canada has forcasted snow or freezing rain for today.  Your statemnt the DEPENDING ON HIS JOB he might make $10,000 a month makes it sound like he has a chance at it.  Be serious now, 2% of “westerners” make $120,000 a year or more while 1 in 6 people cant even put food on the table.  The streets arnt paved in gold over there and coments like yours  feed this belief system.  Oh btw the below picture is from vancouver, but I forgot they don’t get a winter so that must be sugar or something

Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by inspiredm(m): 11:21pm On Nov 17, 2009
agathamari:

HELLO! I was BORN in OHIO, In AKRON  I have lived in 8 us states as well as in st johns and ottawa in canada.  I m a f*cking american, I married a nigerian.  Currently at this moment the weather in vancover is in celcius 7 degrees, toronto is -2.  The expected high for toronto is 8 degrees for today.  This sound like summer to you? These are some of the warmer areas of canada.  How about yellowknife where it is -14C at the moment.   States like michigan, new york, ohio, pennsylvania have “lake effect” which means their weather patterns are exadurated by the great lakes and the moisture coming from them when it mixes with the polar currents coming down from CANADA! The pacific Northwest (includes british columbia) weather paterns are effected by the ocean currents coming UP from MEXICO.  The first snowfall for toronto was OCT 8th and nearly 1/4 of canada has forcasted snow or freezing rain for today.  Your statemnt the DEPENDING ON HIS JOB he might make $10,000 a month makes it sound like he has a chance at it.  Be serious now, 2% of “westerners” make $120,000 a year or more while 1 in 6 people cant even put food on the table.  The streets arnt paved in gold over there and coments like yours  feed this belief system.  Oh btw the below picture is from vancouver, but I forgot they don’t get a winter so that must be sugar or something

Thats Cold.
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by Hotstepper(f): 12:07am On Nov 18, 2009
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by charlesisu: 12:15am On Nov 18, 2009
Hotstepper:

@agathamari , no need to be rude
my stand still remains, most US cities apart from da ones in da South have Canada weather cuz I have been to alot of dem, b/w, that they say da weather is gonna be this 2day, does not mean it is gonna be, I am currently in Toronto now so I can tell u how da weather is,
Last xmas, I was in Ohio, Chicago, Indiana and their weather was nuthing less dan that of Toronto. When it comes 2 alberta etc, its da same with Alabama,
so cool down and I have lived in Ottawa myself and by da way, I'm Canadian born so am not just talking 4 talking sake
overall, take it easy as we aint fighting

Hotstepper, please can i have your email address ? send me a message on nusakharefreddy@yahoo.com
Thank you
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by inspiredm(m): 12:08am On Nov 19, 2009
leye1234:

@poster,

Why would he need to lie ? did you Skip the part where he Said he needed Quality life and not all about the Money ?
  cool cool
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by agathamari(f): 12:33pm On Nov 19, 2009
Hotstepper:

@agathamari , no need to be rude
my stand still remains, most US cities apart from da ones in da South have Canada weather cuz I have been to alot of dem, b/w, that they say da weather is gonna be this 2day, does not mean it is gonna be, I am currently in Toronto now so I can tell u how da weather is,
Last xmas, I was in Ohio, Chicago, Indiana and their weather was nuthing less dan that of Toronto. When it comes 2 alberta etc, its da same with Alabama,
so cool down and I have lived in Ottawa myself and by da way, I'm Canadian born so am not just talking 4 talking sake
overall, take it easy as we aint fighting
Ok stop and think about what your saying here.  Canada does not have a “weather” it is the 2nd largest country in the world and a tep range of 30C  and includes artic, sub artic and temperate climate regions.  The us is the 3/4th (depending on rederance guide) largest country and has a temp range of close to 65C and includes (excluding Hawaii) artic, sub artic, temperate, arid, sub tropical and tropical.  Anyone with a 3rd grade education know temperature is directly related to latitude.  Closer to the poles the colder it is and closer to the equator the warmer it is.  Every single person here has access to the internet and therefor can look for themselves at any weather service and see for themselves your full of shit.  You cannot be serious about comparing a providence in Canada where snowfall is normal 5 months out of the year to a state in the us that rarely gets more then frost 2 months out of the year?  Arguing Toronto who lies below the 49 parallel has weather the same as us cities in the same latitude means all of Canada and the us have the same weather is like someone saying cause el paso and nogates  have similar temp ranges at similar lat then the us and mexico have the same weather.  Since you think that the forcasts are soooo wrong below are current weather shots of the actual weather conditions.  Us maps are in fahrenheit while Canada is in celsius.   (colors indicate temp range)

Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by inspiredm(m): 11:08pm On Nov 19, 2009
Very Informative. cool cool
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by leye1234(m): 2:05am On Nov 20, 2009
Why would he need to lie ? did you Skip the part where he Said he needed Quality life and not all about the Money ?   

What makes you think that he can't get that in NIGERIA? All he has to do is move back to the VILLAGE.
VILLAGE= Real fresh air
              Less polution
              Honies running around topless
              Real Organic food  ETC
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by Etin(f): 7:18am On Nov 20, 2009
I would recommend you research the Province you would like to settle in Canada. Canada is very large and each Province is suited to different kinds of people. We relocated to Alberta in Canada last year from London UK. I can tell you the following the pace of life here is slower than England as a result there are lots of Business Opportunities. Things and services we have taken for granted in UK & Nigeria do not yet exsist in Alberta and I see each gap as a business opportunity. Many businesses offer what they can but there is still a huge gap.

1 million naira is about $6000.00CAD. I would say achieving and improving on your cash flow/profit is achieveable the key thing is to do your research. If you plan to relocate doing it before getting married is probably better as you may have to try out various locatios/ Province to get the perfect fit. Canada is very family focused and good for children so planning to have your children here is a good ideal

Good Luck
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by Kafin(m): 7:47am On Nov 20, 2009
Based on what Charlesisu have posted so far, I will say dont (at least not now)! This is because I believe that you will have some challenges in North America. There is a level of self-reliance that is needed to thrive in North America; I have not seen this in your posts. (please I dont know you, I am only going by your posts).

First off, I cant think of the category that your "immigration lawyer" intend to use for your filing that will make you get your "Residence permit" in 2 years. I can smell some terrible mistakes that people makes and thereafter spend years struggling to recover from the effects, if at all the person recovers. If someone have to help you "package" the application, then there will be some gaps when you arrive and have to start doing everything by yourself. If you are migrating, it should be done at a level that will not destabilize your senses.

The following totally kills me:
I have envisaged that the first 2 years might be rough but i have enough funds to last me for 5 years, and I believe I would have found my feet by that time, I plan on sending stuffs sellable down to Nigeria to keep my cash flow but lots of people have advised me to stay.

Talking about cashflow, I am definitely interested in having an idea of what is fetching you =N=1M/month (seek and you shall find - so they said) I wonder why no one bother asking, perhaps they believe that you wont tell. Just a hint will be fine for me.

How much can one make in NA is another factor, but this has been answered by tunnytox
The choice is yours, what you'll probably gain going to Canada will be a canadian passport, I really don't see you making up to 1m naira per month in Canada in the short run, but if you have enough capital and have brilliant business orientation you could start to make more than that in the long run, so if you believe you can do this, i'll advise you to go for it while keeping tab on your business in Nigeria.

I will just add that long run can be as short as it takes you to settle down- get your accommodation and open your business; provided you have a good business orientation. The income does not have to be in cash, by the time your company pays the better part of your mortgage, pays for your car and other transport expenses, and a company paid staff takes care of your kids, you will not need to earn a big salary.

About the weather, yes Canada is really cold. If you are outside when the temperature drops to -5C, you will start to feel the weight of your ears. It is even much lower than that in most areas during winter, but I will say that the weather will be as cold or warm as you want it to be.
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by blandish: 3:01pm On Nov 20, 2009
MY BRODA, DEM SAY WHO NO GO NO KNOW.

why do you think most people who traveled out have not returned to show off their wealth permanently?,

see, whether you are a professional or not, you will not make 1 million a month, ok assuming you make 1 milla, when they collect tax and national insurance, rent, gas, electricity, council tax, broadband, mobile phone, landline, tv licence, , oh did i miss car insurance, petrol, home insurance, pet insurance, and the almighty mortgage, you will be left with 120k, believe me there is no escaping this list of bills oooo,

All in the name of answering who dey jand!!!!!

ok, wait till you have your kids, you cannot tell your kids to shutup when they make noise, or tell them to kneel down because your aproko neighbour will call ekelebe, the list of the disadvantages are endless,

the only advantage in my opinion is the fact that you enter aeroplane!!!!,

STAY HOME AND MAKE THE MOST OF WHAT YOU HAVE GOT, YOU PROBABLY SAW A FRIEND WHO CAN FROM ABROAD TO SPEND CASH, NA LIE OOOO IT IS ALL FALLACY!!!!!!, he probably cleans oyibo yansh for a living. cool

If you want to go jand, just go and visit and see for yourself, DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT SELL YOUR BUSINESS.

you complain of the things that worry you in naija, that is what makes you a survivor, you will only appreciate naija and the freedom you enjoy, when you go abroad and live in a cage , you cannot cough because you are not sure who is listening!!!

Hmmmm a word is enough for the wise,

flashing dueces, wishing you good luck!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by onipanu(m): 4:20pm On Nov 20, 2009
@ kafin, I am with u my guy. @charlesisu, abeg, if there is anyway you can give me a hint of what is fetching you this 1 milla in naira I will be eternally grateful, I don't even want to know the entire business. just a hint will do grin
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by mevisbleek: 7:00pm On Nov 21, 2009
@charlesisu, bros pls stay in naija since u make 1m/month. Please stay in naija and enjoy ur money, wen u get married u can send ur children here for studies then fron their they wld apply for the PR stuff, pls stay in naija, me i dey canada, i be student, so i am telling u wats up. But canada can be sweet for bachelors if u know what i mean. Not withstanding stay in naija.
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by mevisbleek: 7:15pm On Nov 21, 2009
@chelisiu, what i will tell u is that relocating is not a bad idea. i know lots of naija boys that are balling tit in canada, if u have the degree nothing do u, canada is sweet if u have the degree, u do white collar job in the morning and at night u hussle in the grocery stores, u will make mad cash. I have friends that we finished university together in 2007, they have got their Mba and now they are earning 50k/year, these guys are just 23years old, guy if u have the degree relocate u have no problem. But it would be rough at the begining. I beg just stay in naija cold too much for here
Re: Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please by Busybody2(f): 7:43pm On Nov 21, 2009
^^^ Here we go with people and their misconception undecided How comes no one ever knows anyone that does not earn 50k or more, be it in Germany, UK, US, Canada, etc lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

@ OP

Better do your research well, the times when Highly Skilled Graduates were in high demand is a foregone conclusion, nowadays all they require is Plumbers, Builders, Electricians, Nurses, Plasterers, Carpenters, Mechanics, etc

I have gone through your previous posts and have kinda sussed out that you are involved in the car trade, so my advise to you would be to study your fellow NL car dealers in diaspora well well, and how they are faring in this economic climate lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

You are a car dealer, so maybe you know a thing or two about cars, in which case I'd advice you to apply as a car mechanic in Canada, your application would be fast-tracked and you would get your permanent residency in no time tongue I jealous you small sha, only wish they'd consider me for day release from Yaba and allow me go on a Mechanic training course too, so that I can become a Canadian citizen too and give my pikins a better life too embarassed cry God dey sha cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

France Bans Nigerian students, others From Bringing Family, Delays Benefits / United Nigeria Airlines Gives Free Tickets To Mark Two Years / FG Begins Rehabilitation Work At Kaduna Airport Despite Senate’s Opposition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.