Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,236 members, 7,811,656 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:46 PM

BREAKING: Prof Wole Soyinka Destroys ‘green Card’ As Vowed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BREAKING: Prof Wole Soyinka Destroys ‘green Card’ As Vowed (1118 Views)

BREAKING!! Prof. Pat Utomi Blasts Buhari / Ex Corper That Converted To Islam As Vowed If BUHARI Wins Renounces Islam / Will Wole Soyinka Tear His Green Card As Vowed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

BREAKING: Prof Wole Soyinka Destroys ‘green Card’ As Vowed by Nobody: 4:49pm On Dec 01, 2016
Nigeria’s Nobel laureate Professor Wole Soyinka has confirmed the destruction of
his US residency green card.
The award-winning author said on Thursday, December 1 that he has fulfilled his
earlier pledge to destroy his residency permit and abandon the United States if
Donald Trump won the presidential election.
Professor Wole Soyinka has abandoned US because of Donald Trump and
“I have already done it, I have disengaged (from the United States). I have done what I
said I would do.

“I had a horror of what is to come with Trump… I threw away the (green) card, and I have
relocated, and I’m back to where I have always been, ” BBC quoted Soyinka as saying at
an education conference at the University of Johannesburg, South Africa.
The prolific playwright, novelist and poet won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1986
and has been a regular teacher at US universities including Harvard, Cornell and Yale.
At the same time he said he would not discourage others from applying for a green
card.
“It’s useful in many ways. I wouldn’t for one single moment discourage any Nigerians
or anybody from acquiring a green card… but I have had enough of it,” he said.
A Facebook user recently posted a picture showing someone that appears
to be Prof Wole Soyinka stowing his bags in the overhead carriage of a
plane on his return to Nigeria just after the US election.
Soyinka, one of Africa’s most famous writers and rights activists, was jailed in 1967
for 22 months during Nigeria’s civil war.
He was reported to have recently completed a term as scholar-in-residence at New
York University’s Institute of African American Affairs.
A lawyer had also warned of the implications of such an action by Soyinka, saying
that he could go to jail for destroying such an important document.
Abuja based lawyer Kayode Ajulo cautioned Prof. Wole Soyinka against carrying out
his threat to destroy his American green card in protest of Donald Trump’s victory at
the US presidential election.

Re: BREAKING: Prof Wole Soyinka Destroys ‘green Card’ As Vowed by nairalandaddict: 4:52pm On Dec 01, 2016
Re: BREAKING: Prof Wole Soyinka Destroys ‘green Card’ As Vowed by sholws(m): 5:02pm On Dec 01, 2016
I smell scam cheesy angry grin
Re: BREAKING: Prof Wole Soyinka Destroys ‘green Card’ As Vowed by Mynd44: 5:25pm On Dec 01, 2016

(1)

You’re Frustrated, Need Help, Waziri Replies Ribadu / Senate Makes U-turn On SGF, Magu / All Is Now Set For The Anambra Youth Fiesta/talent Hunt Today @ Ifeanyi Ubah Sta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.