Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,138 members, 7,818,427 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:19 PM

What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career (7359 Views)

Two Important Skills You Need To Learn To Be Successful In Your Career / Boost Your Career With I.T Training + Certification / Be Mindful Of The Words You Use (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by lonelydora: 8:40am On Dec 03, 2016
oriflamebaby1:
Success to be is how many lives has changed through you.As a network marketer, seeing people grow in my team from zero earnings to six figures is success! Duplicating yourself and building leaders in your network is success! To me it's just more about the growth and success of the people you sponsor, that's evident of your success.

#Goaldigger
#Bosslady
#Oriflamebaby1

MMM?
Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by Nobody: 9:27am On Dec 03, 2016
aaronson:
How many people you bless is how you measure success.
Ruq:
By the number of those who can say they were blessed through you.
ABUZINZU:
How many people you bless is how you measure success

Make una dey decieve una selves dey go.
Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by Nedufreeman(m): 9:40am On Dec 03, 2016
oriflamebaby1:
Success to be is how many lives has changed through you.As a network marketer, seeing people grow in my team from zero earnings to six figures is success! Duplicating yourself and building leaders in your network is success! To me it's just more about the growth and success of the people you sponsor, that's evident of your success.

#Goaldigger
#Bosslady
#Oriflamebaby1
Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by Zedoo(m): 9:45am On Dec 03, 2016
Providing for EVERYBODY i know...FINANCIALLY and having a very close relationship with family.... Period....
Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by Laredojohn(m): 9:57am On Dec 03, 2016
Success in my career is measured not really by how much I make from it but how I have impacted those who come cross me during the course of duty, I feel happy when clients are fulfilled when they are attended to, I can go any length within the scope of duty to make them happy, also if any project or program I was part of its think tank is implemented and stands as a Government's white paper document...
Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by Tajbol4splend(m): 11:04am On Dec 03, 2016
How happy I am
Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by brojoshua: 12:24pm On Dec 03, 2016
Bear with me if I do not pass the test. I will use the bitter-leaf stick in my yard
Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by Nobody: 2:43pm On Dec 03, 2016
It can only be felt not explained.
Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by Nobody: 2:54pm On Dec 03, 2016
When I'm on the cover of Forbes magazine.. Smilin.. Next to oparah and the queen.
Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by panicacid: 5:25pm On Dec 03, 2016
OK mango stick, about 12 yards.
Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by MagnaB: 11:19pm On Dec 03, 2016
Hidentity:
Friend, I think that this question is more of an individual thing than general. In my circle of friends, our measure of career success even varies, but there are common grounds. Let us examine some:

1: Expertise and professionalism

What can I rate myself in my field? Am I just some regular guy in this field or some expert? What makes me that expert? E.g if you are a lawyer, in how many areas of law can I deal well? If I focus on just an area, how good am I? And can the firm release me for a client on a transaction and be rest assured all Is will be dotted and Ts crossed?

2: Financial reward/Salary

I have read a lot of posts where people are advised not to 'chase' money at the start of their career because it will come. I do laugh. What does chasing mean? If you follow that to the letter, you may not be successful career wise. Chase money, but do it within the ambience of the law. Ensure you get paid for your service. A terrible pay will most likely affect career growth. No matter how good you are, no matter how hard working you are, the reward for your efforts must be proportionate or near proportionate to help with the mental and material growth which will put you in a great mindset to give your career what it takes to grow. So, your pay can tell how far you've gone vis-a-vis career too.

3: Caucus standard

No matter where you work or your pay, there is always a meeting point for you and those at your level in the same profession or even other professions sometimes. How do you do in those meeting points? If you're on the line, it is a sign your career is going well. Mind you, know the difference between things they achieved which are unconnected to career e.g if they all have cars and you don't, it might be more of a question of choice than growth.

4: Achievements

Make a list and be fair to yourself. Start from your day one. Don't go including how you're good at making jokes at work. That's no career achievement. Look at things like: The transactions you're Involved in, and the feedback from the clients. Look at your great suggestions that helped the firm out of a tight corner, look at how you do with urgent works etc. If you're some regular employee whom the office won't bother to question his attempt to resign, you need to work more on your career. You're either not building the right career or building the right career in a wrong way.

5: Professional Popularity

This is not easy to achieve on a big scale as a beginner. But there are ways you can look at this from your immediate working environment. What does your employer and colleagues have to say about you vis-a-vis your work? How deft are you at thinking outside the box? Have you been perceived as the future of your profession or even addressed by the names of some big shots in your field? I don't mean people who call you Fawehinmi because you always argue, I mean people who call you that because of your productive inputs.

6: Experience

List the professional experience you've had. Almost always, these are not ones that can be found in everybody. People always look at some icing on your cake. A client who is aware that an area has seasoned lawyers in the field of election matters will be super impressed when you're that lawyer who is deft at election matters and also maritime law.

7: Personal Conviction

What do you think of yourself and your career?
This is important because no matter how good, sound, popular, intelligent and deft you are, there is that inner man that identifies the truth for you, even when the whole world doesn't know it.

God bless you. You wrote well. All evidences points at u as a lawyer. Great job, learnt somethings already from you.

1 Like

Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by oriflamebaby1(f): 9:43pm On Dec 04, 2016
lonelydora:

MMM?

If you can relate this to MMM then I wonder your level of intelligence!
Re: What Yardstick Would You Use To Measure Success In Your Career by lonelydora: 9:54am On Dec 05, 2016
oriflamebaby1:

If you can relate this to MMM then I wonder your level of intelligence!

You sef!!! U no catch the joke?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Where Can I Work As A Motion Graphics Professional / NLC, NUT Accuse El-rufai Of Plotting To Sack 21,000 Teachers, Others / Ekundayo Adeyemi- Nigeria's First Professor Of Architecture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.