Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,175 members, 7,811,430 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:25 AM

5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats (10426 Views)

Man Who Bought 'Refurbished' Phone From Jumia Cries Out / 7 Best Ways To Speed Up And Improve The Performance Of Any Android Smartphone / 5 Helpful Tips To Protect Any Smartphone From Water Damage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats by Sodia(m): 12:03am On Dec 03, 2016
Android phones of today are vulnerable to various security loopholes, hacks and damage. The reasons why there is always software updates or OTA upgrade from a smartphone phone manufacturer most at times is as a result of a bridge in security, expired firmware of the phone which can cause huge security bridges and make phones to malfunction.

5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats

The phone manufacturer makes sure the firmware is always up to date, this is especially conversant with popular, most used phones that can easily get pirated by some tech hackers and geeks.

The simple truth is that not all of this smartphone or android phone can be upgraded most stops in a particular version of upgrade while some can continue being updated when there is a new upgrade data from the phones manufacturer. Now if we may ask, what happens to those android phones that cannot take any more upgrades and are already vulnerable to attacks by some application providers. Or phones that have security issues where the phones software is pirated.

Most times the best and easy thing we android users do when our smartphones start misbehaving in such manner is to restore factory default. But the thing is when we restore factory default, our phone is back to normal and after sometime, those things start coming back and the android phone begins to misbehave once more.

Well when this issue of vulnerability attacks continue coming back the best step to take is to flash the android phone with a new ROM or its original ROM, so that a newer version of the phone would be seen, and so all old stuffs disturbing the phone would go away.

The normal saying goes that prevention is better than cure, of course this will be true and be of reckoning when foe example you cannot get the custom ROM of that particular android phone giving you problem, which you might result in selling the phone or throwing it somewhere to get another. My point is that you can prevent this attacks and security vulnerability from even coming across your android phone, thats where prevention comes in.

This vulnerabilities are usually common with Android 4.0+ to 4.4 android phones where so applications have been worked for.

In this article, i have decided to share with you a few tips to prevent such android vulnerabilities from your android phone. So i will be giving you 5 helpful tips to secure your android phone. With this tips i am sure it would be of help to your smartphone security from any vulnerabilities.

Just to drop this, due to the amount of personal information stored on these phones, hackers have now shifted their interest from desktop attacks to mobile phone attacks. While the well-known vulnerabilities such as ransomware, phishing, malware and spam are still the same, smartphone users have to deal with a host of new threats like theft and unnecessary app permissions.

Now, how do you keep your smartphone safe from such vulnerabilities and threats.
5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats

1. Secure Your Lock Screen

Yes, one of the tips that usually helps is securing your phones lock screen. This might seem like common sense, yet the majority of smartphone users do not even have a PIN on their lock screen. Some very confident people will never lose their phone or that if they do, they can remotely wipe it. Though it is good to have a positive mindset, sometimes things happen that are out of your control. Something as simple as a PIN or other lock screen methods is a very effective way to deter criminals from hacking into your device should it be lost or stolen.
2. Sideloading Apps

Its very important to avoid sideloaded apps, what are sideloaded apps - they are apps installed in APK format onto an Android device which is usually downloaded from websites other than Google Play, usually through a computer. The more reason we always prefer to go for android phones over other brands like apple is because of the open market. You can find apps outside of the Google Play store and install them on your phone. While this might sound convenient, especially if the app isn’t available on the store, it makes your phone that much more vulnerable.

This is the main way many hackers gain access to a victim’s smartphone. They offer a pirated version of an app and then infect it with malware. Once downloaded, Android doesn’t check the app for any viruses or other concerning features. Even if you have security apps installed, many do not scan every app installed. Those that come at a particular cost should be avoided.

The steps to take when planning to install an app outside the Google Play Store is to download the apps from trusted sources such as the application manufacturer website.
3. Use VPN - Virtual Private Network

VPNs aren’t just for desktops anymore. You can also take advantage of the service for your mobile device. In fact, it’s more important to use it for your smartphone as you will connect to more insecure networks than on your desktop or laptop. Consider how often you have connected to public WiFi. It is a great portal for hackers to gain access to your information, as public networks are not very secure. Using a VPN can encrypt your data to keep you anonymous from potential cybercriminals making your information difficult (if not impossible) to read if they intercept it.
4. Encrypt Your Phone

If you want to keep your information safe, the best thing to do is physically encrypt the data on your phone. This protects all of the data on your phone until you put in your decryption password. You don’t even need an app to do this either. Simply navigate to your security settings and turn on encryption. Before you decide to take this step keep in mind the following:
Full device encryption will slow down your performance. While not noticeable on higher-end phones, it could pose a problem for those using budget phones. You cannot undo encryption. If you want to turn it off, you will have to restore your phone to its factory settings.
5. Manage App Permissions

Whenever you download an app from Google Play, a pop-up window appears to show you what the app wants access to. Many people do not pay attention to these permissions. Taking that into consideration, it’s an important step to verify that the app does not require more access to your phone than necessary.

Generally, most apps have a good reason to access certain facilities. A messaging app might want access to your camera and contacts so you can take pictures and send to your friends and family. A game might require your location to compete against other people in the area. With that said, if you can’t find a reason an app needs to access these facilities, then it’s a good idea not to install it. Ask yourself, does a currency converter need access to my contacts?

Android Marshmallow also gives you further control over app permissions. You can control what they can and cannot access even after you install it.

Of course, the best way to keep your Android smartphone secure is to take the necessary personal precautions such as not downloading suspicious apps.

Hopefully this article would help you protect your android phone from now on.

#Frontpage Pls #Mods

Source:- http://www.safaxnet.com/2016/12/5-helpful-tips-to-secure-any-android.html

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats by SFSNIPER(m): 12:19am On Dec 03, 2016
But once stolen by those ikeja boys, it becomes new.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats by Nobody: 6:48am On Dec 03, 2016
grin grin
Re: 5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats by nely(m): 6:50am On Dec 03, 2016
Re: 5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats by Moreoffaith(m): 6:52am On Dec 03, 2016
Cool.
Re: 5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats by seuncyber(m): 6:52am On Dec 03, 2016
This is like 50 trillion time am reading this fufu on nairaland

Same thing all the time

We don hear

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: 5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats by habex005(m): 6:53am On Dec 03, 2016
noted
Re: 5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats by Okpueze1(m): 6:59am On Dec 03, 2016
I bought a new phone, *UMi Super*, at time I receive a mesaage, _Wireless Update available_ etc. Please should I do the wireless update, the file is much, 240mb or?

1 Like

Re: 5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats by Cunninlinguist: 7:00am On Dec 03, 2016
Nice info op. You try
Re: 5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats by Sayelabola(m): 7:01am On Dec 03, 2016
Recently, my Android has been draining faster, any help?
Re: 5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats by pwettylydia94(f): 7:01am On Dec 03, 2016
Thanks, its a useful information.

1 Like

Re: 5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats by Sayelabola(m): 7:03am On Dec 03, 2016
Okpueze1:
I bought a new phone, *UMi Super*, at time I receive a mesaage, _Wireless Update available_ etc. Please should I do the wireless update, the file is much, 240mb or?

With enough MB left, you could download it if you wish.

1 Like

Re: 5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats by thirty(m): 7:07am On Dec 03, 2016
For sale
New Samsung J 1
Purchase date November 23, 2016
Price N45,000
Contact 08025546052
Re: 5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats by Nobody: 7:10am On Dec 03, 2016
lols, very funny
Re: 5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats by Henrypraise: 7:13am On Dec 03, 2016
tanks @ sodia for the tips, pls I do get sum annoying ads pop up on my screen, I av deleted d only apk file I av n it still pops up especially on my lock screen, pls how do I solve des problem?

notable among des pop up is jumia, jiji, n many others.

pls help..
Re: 5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats by Okpueze1(m): 7:14am On Dec 03, 2016
Sayelabola:

With enough MB left, you could download it if you wish.
So the update is coming from the Phone manufacturers and is advisable to do?
Re: 5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats by Nobody: 7:15am On Dec 03, 2016
My infinix hot s is giving me update A week after purchase
Re: 5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats by Goldenheart(m): 7:32am On Dec 03, 2016
My Sweet Gionee M5 Mini Got Drowned Yesterday.. sad any engineer in the house?
Re: 5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats by ItzHoludex(m): 7:35am On Dec 03, 2016
hizzokay
Re: 5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats by WizBLANCE(m): 7:37am On Dec 03, 2016
If i knew this much few months ago, i would have not be missing my tekno P9. I wake up every morning to see it lying on the table lifeless.
@op thanx for the info.

1 Like

Re: 5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats by nasfem22(m): 7:43am On Dec 03, 2016
Sayelabola:
use a good explorer to delete your batterystats.bin then download battery calibrator apk to always re-callibrate your battery

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats by innocent1(m): 7:49am On Dec 03, 2016
Thanks for the info
Re: 5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats by Nobody: 7:51am On Dec 03, 2016
Best thing na to buy any of BlackBerry Android devices. Dem secure pass anything and Ikeja boys no fit take am do anything if dem steal am.
You no fit root the phones sef.
Re: 5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats by Pylony(m): 7:53am On Dec 03, 2016
Sayelabola:
It could be as a result of too many installed apps allow to run active on your phone. Go to settings > click on [Battery] and see apps busy sucking juice on your phone.

Uninsual apps not needed, that are just laying fallow on your phone that will relief the phone of battery vampire apps. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats by Nobody: 8:01am On Dec 03, 2016
nice post.....

Re: 5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats by Pylony(m): 8:04am On Dec 03, 2016
Goldenheart:
My Sweet Gionee M5 Mini Got Drowned Yesterday.. sad any engineer in the house?
grin The first aid to be carried on a drown phone are these; first remove the battery, never try re-switch ON the phone as the liquid most have gone inside the phone already and violating this will be to put the phone at risk of getting short circuit which will lead to further damage or a dead phone. Also remove your m-card and sim-cards which could trap droplets of water or what ever liquid it is.

Then take the phone to a professional who will help dry the phone for you.
Re: 5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats by Pylony(m): 8:08am On Dec 03, 2016
mackmanuel:
My infinix hot s is giving me update A week after purchase
Then try the update link, it could be your stock rom has a little problem and the phone is seeking for update from the internet.
Re: 5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats by Pylony(m): 8:12am On Dec 03, 2016
Henrypraise:
tanks @ sodia for the tips, pls I do get sum annoying ads pop up on my screen, I av deleted d only apk file I av n it still pops up especially on my lock screen, pls how do I solve des problem?

notable among des pop up is jumia, jiji, n many others.

pls help..
Since the ads are on your lock screen and not on a browser you're using, it is very possible you've installed an app with a permission allowing adverts to pop at will. You'll have to located this app and uninstall it.
Re: 5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats by Goldenheart(m): 8:47am On Dec 03, 2016
Pylony:
grin The first aid to be carried on a drown phone are these; first remove the battery, never try re-switch ON the phone as the liquid most have gone inside the phone already and violating this will be to put the phone at risk of getting short circuit which will lead to further damage or a dead phone. Also remove your m-card and sim-cards which could trap droplets of water or what ever liquid it is.

Then take the phone to a professional who will help dry the phone for you.
Thank You. I M Doing That Today
Re: 5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats by Sodia(m): 8:49am On Dec 03, 2016
Okpueze1:
Its not compulsory you wait for wifi network to do the update, u can use your normal mobile network if u hav upto 240mb, better still subscribe to any of the night plans to do the update... Like mtn night plan, 500mb.

1 Like

Re: 5 Helpful Tips To Secure Any Android Phone From Threats by Sodia(m): 8:55am On Dec 03, 2016
Sayelabola:

Well from my own point of view, it could be a few things..

1. Maybe charging issues like u changed ur charge, and d new 1 isnt charging d phone battery well, this cud make ur battery drain faster.

2. To many installed apps, too and many apps running simultaneously.. Some apps of today do drain battery faster than normal, one of the is Facebook apk, you can uninstall it and install d lite version.... Check your phone Battery Usage to see the apps that consume more power and compare, u can notice some tins there.. Uninstall d 1 u feel might really be draining u phone.

3. Lastly, i think d battery might b damaged already, mayb it needs replacement sha, u knw some batteries might not be good..

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Just Unlocked My Glo Usb Modem / List Of Blackberry That Can Tether Wireless To An Android / Unlinking NIN From Recycled Phone Number

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.