Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,496 members, 7,826,870 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:00 PM

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. - Travel (106) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (684891 Views)

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) ... (220) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Clefayomide: 1:20pm On Aug 07, 2017
FrankNetter:
Some days back, I drove a GMC for the first time.

I had to take my client to a doctor's appointment and we opted to use his car instead, cool ride, automatic everything, but I still prefer my Mum's highlander grin

There was some festival going on in Chicago at the moment, so there's lots of traffic.

nice thread franknetter, you just made mention of a client, would like to know what kind of job you do apart from the restaurant job.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Bossman(m): 2:07pm On Aug 07, 2017
Yes, the city proper (South and West sides) does have a lot of blacks. Chicago is one of the cities a lot of blacks from the south moved to during the civil rights days. A lot of prominent blacks also got their start in Chicago. The movie 'Chiraq' is not neccessarily a good depiction of Chicago. Most of the shooting is concentrated on the run down areas of the West and South side.

In my opinion, Chicago is one of the best metropolitan (BIG) cities in the US to live in. Just check out Wiki for more info. No need to rehash anything here.

orbis:
It seems they have a lot of blacks in Chicago. Whats the info about ghe socalled Chiraq.....is it downdown Chicago or the shooting is statewide

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Bossman(m): 2:10pm On Aug 07, 2017
Yep. That's the lollapalooza music festival at Grant park - https://www.lollapalooza.com/

FrankNetter:

There was some festival going on in Chicago at the moment, so there's lots of traffic.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Bossman(m): 2:33pm On Aug 07, 2017
Frank - I work in the building on the far right (next to the very tall bldg. - Aon center) in your last picture showing downtown buildings. you took that particular picture on Michigan avenue, right before Randolph. Keep up the good work!

16 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by CanadianNurse: 8:19pm On Aug 07, 2017
FrankNetter:
I had to take pictures with extra caution so as not to look awkward grin
see meat of $2 =700 NAIRA..... 700 NAIRA SUYA FOR naija no good do 4 people sef

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by orbis(m): 9:39pm On Aug 07, 2017
Bossman:
Yes, the city proper (South and West sides) does have a lot of blacks. Chicago is one of the cities a lot of blacks from the south moved to during the civil rights days. A lot of prominent blacks also got their start in Chicago. The movie 'Chiraq' is not neccessarily a good depiction of Chicago. Most of the shooting is concentrated on the run down areas of the West and South side.

In my opinion, Chicago is one of the best metropolitan (BIG) cities in the US to live in. Just check out Wiki for more info. No need to rehash anything here.

I got a lot of friends who left Chicago but they never have any good thing to say about it. Its strange but from experience areas with lots of blacks have a high crime rate and lots of drug use
Maybe the good parts of the city have less blacks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Bossman(m): 3:09pm On Aug 08, 2017
That's very rare. A lot of folks visit here from other big cities and they rave about the architecture and cleanliness of the city. It's considered the cleanest big city in the USA (It's the 3rd largest city btw). In general, areas that are mostly black/poor tend to have higher crime rate. Downtown proper itself is moistly white...too expensive for most blacks to live there. However, when we mention Chicago that always includes downtown, North side, South side, and West side and a few surrounding suburbs. All those together are overwhelmingly white. Chicago is probably the #2 or #3 center for business and finance in the US. I think you really need to google the city.

orbis:

I got a lot of friends who left Chicago but they never have any good thing to say about it. Its strange but from experience areas with lots of blacks have a high crime rate and lots of drug use
Maybe the good parts of the city have less blacks.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by orbis(m): 4:31pm On Aug 08, 2017
Bossman:
That's very rare. A lot of folks visit here from other big cities and they rave about the architecture and cleanliness of the city. It's considered the cleanest big city in the USA (It's the 3rd largest city btw). In general, areas that are mostly black/poor tend to have higher crime rate. Downtown proper itself is moistly white...too expensive for most blacks to live there. However, when we mention Chicago that always includes downtown, North side, South side, and West side and a few surrounding suburbs. All those together are overwhelmingly white. Chicago is probably the #2 or #3 center for business and finance in the US. I think you really need to google the city.

Yeah i have googled about it and had thought about moving there at some point in time. However you know how they keep only the good news online and you never get to know thr real poo till an ear on ground lets you know whatsup. So do you know if they pay as good as what we have on the East coast a d Cali for instance?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by ttmacoy: 5:56pm On Aug 08, 2017
When it comes to chicago it's actually the opposite as the gang related south side violence makes more news than the amazing things the city has to offer. I have friends who have visited and love it by the time they leave but based on news they had negative expectations before they came.

Not saying there are no problem areas they are but as a law abiding person you really don't have any business in those areas and that applies to any major city including Lagos.

orbis:

Yeah i have googled about it and had thought about moving there at some point in time. However you know how they keep only the good news online and you never get to know thr real poo till an ear on ground lets you know whatsup. So do you know if they pay as good as what we have on the East coast a d Cali for instance?

3 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 6:12am On Aug 09, 2017
@ guiddoti I just pm U
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by olumig(m): 6:51am On Aug 09, 2017
FrankNetter:
Circadian rhythm

Considering the fact that I changed timezones, my brain (and body) is still trying to adjust to the time change. I find myself feeling sleepy when its night time in Nigeria. For the past two nights, each time i go to bed, i would just wake up abruptly around like 2:00am or so (which coincides with morning in Nigeria). I also feel hungry at odd times too,

my siblings have complained about the same thing though.

====================================

Most people whom i have contacted on social media and informed that I've left the country are being all friendly and nice all of a sudden, some of them are not very happy that I didnt inform them earlier though. Im yet to understand their displeasure, If i had told you, would you have given me money to pay for my flight ticket?

like I said earlier, Nigerians are hypocrites

You are one too as long as you are a Nigerian.

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by CanadianNurse: 7:35am On Aug 09, 2017
olumig:
bro that statement is contextual! Sheybi English NA our official language... Na wa o

8 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 1:12pm On Aug 09, 2017
CanadianNurse:
bro that statement is contextual! Sheybi English NA our official language... Na wa o
Buhaha..it's hard for folks here.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by CanadianNurse: 3:42pm On Aug 09, 2017
elfmann:

NA real wa o

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Bossman(m): 3:47pm On Aug 09, 2017
As for pay, it really depends. However, the cost of living is lower in Chicago than say Los Angeles or NY, so the pay will be lower as well. However, remember that this is the 3rd largest city in the US right after LA and NY. And a major metropolitan city, surpassed only by NY. In general though, the pay is commensurate with the cost of living.

orbis:

So do you know if they pay as good as what we have on the East coast a d Cali for instance?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by olumig(m): 6:16pm On Aug 09, 2017
CanadianNurse:
My remarks is in the same vein also

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by olumig(m): 6:17pm On Aug 09, 2017
elfmann:

it's hard everywhere
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 6:59pm On Aug 09, 2017
olumig:
it's hard everywhere
Yeah.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by CanadianNurse: 7:53pm On Aug 09, 2017
olumig:
My remarks is in the same vein also
noted!!

Have you by any chance used the lagos international airport recently? How is the service? Do they still act like hustling touts? (I mean the customs and immigration etc)

Do they still do manual check in by opening your bags?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Fish123(m): 11:43pm On Aug 09, 2017
The airport is a bit upgrade now,when their couples of months back. they now use machine to scan baggages
CanadianNurse:
noted!!

Have you by any chance used the lagos international airport recently? How is the service? Do they still act like hustling touts? (I mean the customs and immigration etc)

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by 1Rebel: 11:56pm On Aug 09, 2017
olumig:

This one is seeking attention

3 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by orbis(m): 2:03am On Aug 10, 2017
Fish123:
The airport is a bit upgrade now,when their couples of months back. they now use machine to scan baggages

Last time i was there, thsy still opened my bag and also used machine. See the way they begged me to drop my naira notes with them like say govt no de pay them. I smile each time i remember applying to join immigration or customs. Maybe i for be one of those airport touts....but Baba God knows better plans for moi

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by pretty16(f): 5:51pm On Aug 10, 2017
chokey419:
Got my interview coming up on Tuesday. Can't wait.

Hi at chokey419. First of all, congrats on the success of your IV interview. Pls kindly visit this thread let's discuss more. Got some questions to ask U. Do appreciate ur speedy response. Don't wanna derail this thread. Thanks

https://www.nairaland.com/3979737/nvc-processing-stage-u-family
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Originalsly: 10:06pm On Aug 10, 2017
orbis:

I smile each time i remember applying to join immigration or customs. Maybe i for be one of those airport touts.
Lol...you keeping it real!
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Fish123(m): 11:07pm On Aug 10, 2017
oh really, i didn't know they still check manually thou
orbis:

Last time i was there, thsy still opened my bag and also used machine. See the way they begged me to drop my naira notes with them like say govt no de pay them. I smile each time i remember applying to join immigration or customs. Maybe i for be one of those airport touts....but Baba God knows better plans for moi

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by SirWahl1: 12:36am On Aug 11, 2017
Bossman:
Frank - I work in the building on the far right (next to the very tall bldg. - Aon center) in your last picture showing downtown buildings. you took that particular picture on Michigan avenue, right before Randolph. Keep up the good work!

I work just by the cook county building downtown chicago. Hope we could hook up one of these days. I do love a cup of coffee with you

6 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Philian112(m): 5:57pm On Aug 13, 2017
Hmm wow! Wow! Wow! Frank Weldon sir for all ur time and energy u spent in taking us al 2 yankee through your eyes , I must say im thrilled and Filled with excitement bro!.. I know im leaving this country very Soon and I'll have the Opportunity to Write my own experience here . Thanks again bro , I feel U!

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by moststylish(m): 11:23pm On Aug 13, 2017
Frank , Frank ,where are you bro
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 9:52am On Aug 14, 2017
moststylish:
Frank , Frank ,where are you bro
Goolu.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by olumig(m): 7:42pm On Aug 14, 2017
CanadianNurse:
noted!!

As recent as July11th, it was a breeze in, smiling and courteous officers. Machine was used.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by orbis(m): 6:22pm On Aug 16, 2017
Hey @CanadianNurse....are you an RN or LpN

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) ... (220) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Canada / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.