Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,772 members, 7,809,980 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:08 PM

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. - Travel (153) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (682411 Views)

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (150) (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) ... (220) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 7:55pm On Jun 14, 2018
signature2012:

To the best of my knowledge,that has always been the meaning.

I grew up in the midst of yorubas,never heard anyone translate cat as "akata" even though both words sound partially similar.
Ok
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by stonemasonn: 3:41am On Jun 15, 2018
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Originalsly: 5:39am On Jun 15, 2018
FrankNetter:

Some weeks back, my younger sister back from school with this flyer, her friend told her about an agency that has a program to pay for tuition for students in exchange for working with UPS (the postal agency). I quickly registered for the program online and applied for a job at UPS. Fingers crossed smiley

Bro.... how much did you pay? USPS, UPS nor FedEx do not use the services of agencies. FedEx Ground ...stay clear of that one...that's a contractor employing any Tom, Dick or Harry tondeliver in Fedex Ground uniforms.If you need to work with them...go to the website under employmemt. They will post there when they need to hire and it is always no fee. Search the UPS website to cross check what's on the flyer. Scammers everywhere.
Regardless. .. UPS job is relentless!....like Amazon!...they drain you!
On present job and ehmm...fight experience..... don't ever believe your actions can be justified when it comes to dealing with mental patients..... even when they are wrong...they are right! Be mindful of patient abuse.
Whatever job you go to...there would be wahala...just a different version!...just learn to manage.
BTW...not sure if it's national...but UPS workers in NYC may soon go on strike if certain issues are not resolved.

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by seyewest(m): 9:14pm On Jun 15, 2018
Akata is a word formed by Yoruba or pidgin speaking Nigerian in describing African American (In U.S) because of their mannerism and attitude, it used to be a code word within the Yoruba speaking student in U.S in the 70's-80's. Akata can be akin to cat who walk gently and always grooming it self.

3 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by guiddoti: 9:17pm On Jun 15, 2018
seyewest:
Akata is a word formed by Yoruba or pidgin speaking Nigerian in describing African American (In U.S) because of their mannerism and attitude, it used to be a code word within the Yoruba speaking student in U.S in the 70's-80's. Akata can be akin to cat who walk gently and always grooming it self.
Invariably it's coined for racial disparity.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by seyewest(m): 9:30pm On Jun 15, 2018
guiddoti:
Invariably it's coined for racial disparity.

Not racial but description of people without culture (People who have no idea where they came from).

12 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by decode55(m): 10:09pm On Jun 18, 2018
seyewest:

Not racial but description of people without culture (People who have no idea where they come from).

This is the most accurate

16 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by orbis(m): 7:25am On Jun 24, 2018
So I guess the use of the word akata made the lady to quit the forum. Nairaland ain't for people with easily offended personality. It's a faceless forum and nobody should take whatever he sees here to heart and gripe about it.

I hope she returns cos she was helpful

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Ugosample(m): 8:10am On Jun 24, 2018
seyewest:

Not racial but description of people without culture (People who have no idea where they came from).

That's very verybad of us.

They don't know their origins (as if that even puts food on the table) and so what?

This rancour between AAs and Africans to me is just advanced foolishness

undecided

6 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by seyewest(m): 10:27am On Jun 24, 2018
Ugosample:

They don't know their origins (as if that even puts food on the table) and so what?

undecided

It's better than blacks calling Africans monkey or bush men.

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Ugosample(m): 10:30am On Jun 24, 2018
seyewest:

It's better than blacks calling Africans monkey or bush men.

I consider the vast majority of blacks as mentally disturbed
because if that is not the case, why so much racour between the black subgroups?
Can't we just take each other as one and move ahead?

A black African will be feeling superior to a black American, and vice versa, when you both are liable to racial profiling nonetheless

So who is fooling who?

6 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 11:29am On Jun 24, 2018
orbis:
So I guess the use of the word akata made the lady to quit the forum. Nairaland ain't for people with easily offended personality. It's a faceless forum and nobody should take whatever he sees here to heart and gripe about it.

I hope she returns cos she was helpful

How presumptuous of you. undecided
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 11:50am On Jun 24, 2018
Ugosample:

undecided

You made some good points in both of your posts.. I know my origin but what does that give me, bragging rights? In this state of current affairs globally, nobody has room to brag.

And yea the discord btwn AA and Africans is bad. I know an Nigerian man very well who had this superiorty complex. I never had to say a word, it only took a couple of months for him to see that every other race sees us as one except for us. And they treat us all accordingly.

3 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Predstan: 11:25pm On Jun 24, 2018
FrankNetter:

Yup, I get countless PMs on a daily basis and I try as much as I can to reply. Sadly, 90% of the pms I receive are about some _cock and bull story. Like do these people think I’m THAT naive? Come on guys, I be naija boy too.

Right now, I don’t reply PMs anymore. If it’s that urgent, post it here or send a message on my Instagram page. I would answer to the best of my limited knowledge

Bro please I need a PM with you.. What is your Instagram username. This is very urgent, I need to decide what to do because right now I am flux and vacillating between decisions that could affect my career
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by nycdude: 2:36am On Jun 25, 2018
revontuli:

Are you an agile coach?
I'm pretty burnt out with my Sysadmin/DevOps career and considering a change. What kind of training is needed to become a scrum master? Is it less stressful? Do you have to deal with people everyday?

Scrum Master is not stressful. You just have to be smart it's not technical. Start by getting certified.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by stonemasonn: 3:49am On Jun 25, 2018
Bsuedu:

You made some good points in both of your posts.. I know my origin but what does that give me, bragging rights? In this state of current affairs globally, nobody has room to brag.

And yea the discord btwn AA and Africans is bad. I know an Nigerian man very well who had this superiorty complex. I never had to say a word, it only took a couple of months for him to see that every other race sees us as one except for us. And they treat us all accordingly.
Is it really Superiority Complex? we're just proud that's all...is that why some of the guys are snobbish?...I like the way the babes look at me though tongue, gals don't look at me like that back in Naija...here they make me feel like a Slay Papa tongue

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 5:14am On Jun 25, 2018
stonemasonn:
Is it really Superiority Complex? we're just proud that's all...is that why some of the guys are snobbish?...I like the way the babes look at me though tongue, gals don't look at me like that back in Naija...here they make me feel like a Slay Papa tongue

Friend,I dont think we are talking about the same thing. I mean superiority complex as in feeling that one is superior to the other.
Im glad you are adjusting well.
Who is snobbish? Maybe you are mistaking snobbish for standoffish. Alot of AAs are open to interacting with our African family but the perception amongst most is that, (excuse me I am going to generalize here) Africans feel that African Americans are inferior to them. Im not the spokesperson but if you asked, im betting money that is the answer you will get. And some people are just plain stupid. Cant explain that any simpler than that.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 5:32am On Jun 25, 2018
Bsuedu:

Friend,I dont think we are talking about the same thing. I mean superiority complex as in feeling that one is superior to the other.
Who is snobbish? Maybe you are mistaking snobbish for standoffish. Alot of AAs are open to interacting with our African family but the perception amongst most is that, (excuse me I am going to generalize here) Africans feel that African Americans are inferior to them. Im not the spokesperson but if you asked, im betting money that is the answer you will get. And some people are just plain stupid. Cant explain that any simpler than that.

Modified,
1. We can test my theories if you like but I do expect my winnings in US dollars please and thank you, since you are in America.
2. I would like to see an uploaded pic for research purposes. I will then make my assessment. However, I will not report my assessment.
3. Im not flirting, just having fun with you.Being in America, you understand the love of disclosures. One must make all necessary disclosures.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by stonemasonn: 5:51am On Jun 25, 2018
Bsuedu:

I know what you mean, and I said we are just proud people that's all. And I think its a black thing....in Nigeria, the major tribes, Fulani/Hausa-Igbos-Yorubas are at each others throats for this superiority ish. In south Africa, the natives(blacks) seems to hate Nigerians and Somalis for this same ish. So its just perception, we're all the same people...we just don't have one love.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by stonemasonn: 5:58am On Jun 25, 2018
Bsuedu:

Modified,
1. We can test my theories if you like but I do expect my winnings in US dollars please and thank you, since you are in America.
OK, but ehm I hope its what my liver can carry because..you see all my dollars is used to service the recession back home grin.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lakesidepapa(m): 8:52am On Jun 25, 2018
nycdude:

Scrum Master is not stressful. You just have to be smart it's not technical. Start by getting certified.

Bro u haven't reply my mail concerning the training and getting certified with this scrum master, since it's learnable and can get certified here in Nigeria, can we use it work on US soil?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 11:33am On Jun 25, 2018
stonemasonn:
I know what you mean, and I said we are just proud people that's all. And I think its a black thing....in Nigeria, the major tribes, Fulani/Hausa-Igbos-Yorubas are at each others throats for this superiority ish. In south Africa, the natives(blacks) seems to hate Nigerians and Somalis for this same ish. So its just perception, we're all the same people...we just don't have one love.

Well, it would benefit the black race, if we could figure how to become one. None of us have the time to be comparing notes about who is better. We collectively have bigger issues to worry about like Kim hovering over the nuke button, hunger and, oppression. Mexican children practically in cages in the US. Other ethnic groups dont care cuz its Mexicans. But I say, Mexicans now, whos next?

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by peacengine(m): 12:59pm On Jun 25, 2018
Akata is used in pidgin english to refer to African American because they act like people with no ancestry or foundation. It's originally a Yoruba word but it has been infused into pidgin

Franko my man, it's not easy anywhere bro, focus on the money and grow from there.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jun 25, 2018
Didnt have to go far to make my point.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by BlackAdam55(m): 1:56pm On Jun 25, 2018
Bsuedu:

Who is snobbish? Maybe you are mistaking snobbish for standoffish. Alot of AAs are open to interacting with our African family but the perception amongst most is that, (excuse me I am going to generalize here) Africans feel that African American are inferior to them. Im not the spokesperson but if you asked, im betting money that is the answer you will get. And some people are just plain stupid. Cant explain that any simpler than that.
at the bold same way African Americans feel like they are superior to Africans.they feel like they are better than Africans just because they are living in the U.S. ,while we are in African. According to them we Africans are nothing but cave men who lives in bushes and tress,so u see undecided
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 2:17pm On Jun 25, 2018
BlackAdam55:
at the bold same way African Americans feel like they are superior to Africans.they feel like they are better than Africans just because they are living in the U.S. ,while we are in African. According to them we Africans are nothing but cave men who lives in bushes and tress,so u see undecided

Like I said some people are plain stupid. The gentleman asked why he felt there was snobbery against him and that was my reply. I also said that no side should be comparing notes. Hypothetically, if I was comparing notes which one is worse, calling a group of people denigerates, jackals, lost kitty cat, no ancestry vs living in trees?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jun 25, 2018
Bsuedu:

Like I said some people are plain stupid. The gentleman asked why he felt there was snobbery against him and that was my reply. I also said that no side should be comparing notes. Hypothetically, if I was comparing notes which one is worse, calling a group of people denigerates, jackals, lost kitty cat, no ancestry vs living in trees?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jun 25, 2018
BlackAdam55:

I am sorry if someone said those things to you.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by BlackAdam55(m): 2:25pm On Jun 25, 2018
Bsuedu:

I am sorry if someone said those things to you.
no homos, it's all good, am just telling u why we have difference
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jun 25, 2018
BlackAdam55:

I also want to add I have Nigerians say these kinds of insulting things to my face unprovoked on different occasions. And no they were not the same people
Couple that with the insulting thing s I have read on this very forum. Most by church going God loving people.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by BlackAdam55(m): 2:33pm On Jun 25, 2018
Bsuedu:

I also want to add I have Nigerians say these kinds of insulting things to my face unprovoked on different occasions. And no they were not the same people
Couple that with the insulting thing s I have read on this very forum. Most by church going God loving people.
that's bad very bad, why will they say such things angry do not take it to heart some of then are arrogant accept my apologies.
And as for Nairaland Neva take what u see here Serious.some people here just love to troll
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jun 25, 2018
BlackAdam55:
that's bad very bad, why will they say such things angry do not take it to heart some of then are arrogant accept my apologies.
And as for Nairaland Neva take what u see here Serious.some people here just love to troll

Well, on two of the occassions, I dont believe there were ill intentions. We were in conversation. I guess they felt they could be open with me about their true feelings but didnt realize how insulting and arrogant it came off. I can't speak for the intentions of the others as I dont know them personally.

(1) (2) (3) ... (150) (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) ... (220) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Canada / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.