Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,786 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:23 AM

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. - Travel (154) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (683846 Views)

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) ... (220) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Originalsly: 3:51pm On Jun 25, 2018
African Americans and Africans ... as I see it... those who go at each other or dislike each other are either ignorant or mislead/miseducated.
What does the average AA know about Africans or Africa period? Very little...and the little he knows most likely is what is fed to him by the media...major networks and via movies.
What does the average African know about AA period? Very little.... and the little he knows most likely is fed to hm by the media...major networks...movies and by word of mouth...people who repeat what they hear.
What does the media feed Americans?.... that Africans are poor...always hungry...primitive.
What does the media feed Africans?....that AA are lazy...depend on Welfare... are drug pushers and drug users... are robbers...killers...uneducated... AA women are baby mamas.....baby daddies are likely in prison...like sooo many other Blacks...no doubt...criminal in nature.
Both AA and Africans ..in general...swallow what the media feed them.without chewing...without question....it must be the truth...no doubt.
Then there is the superiority complex question....as raised above...why the complex?...that too many Africans feel superior to AA? It is just an extension of the class discrimination practises in Africa... so why wouldn't the AA be at the bottom of the barrel?...after all...they are Descendants of Slaves...and that is enough for us to feel superior.
Education system in America try its best to keep Black history...Africa out of the system....so Blacks are generally kept in the dark about their history ...not even the Slave Trade.
Education system in Africa .... the Point of No Return is the beginning of ignorance of what happened after to captured Africans...that history is left out of this sysyem.
Believe it or not.... Nollywood (2000-2006) had....had a major impact...positive... on how AA view Africans...served as a window to see first hand...African culture.
And here we are...still wondering why AA and Africans are ehmmm....at war.
Nairaland is a great platform for us to understand each other and bridge the gap...there is a whole lot we can learn right here.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by orbis(m): 9:10pm On Jun 25, 2018
Bsuedu:

How presumptuous of you. undecided

So I guess you came back with the B......username? grin grin
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 9:22pm On Jun 25, 2018
orbis:

So I guess you came back with the B......username? grin grin

Still presuming, I see. wink
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by orbis(m): 9:25pm On Jun 25, 2018
Bsuedu:

Still presuming, I see. wink

Lol....ok I ain't pushing it no more. I'll keep our lil secret cool
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 10:08pm On Jun 25, 2018
Originalsly:
African Americans and Africans ... as I see it... those who go at each other or dislike each other are either ignorant or mislead/miseducated.
What does the average AA know about Africans or Africa period? Very little...and the little he knows most likely is what is fed to him by the media...major networks and via movies.
What does the average African know about AA period? Very little.... and the little he knows most likely is fed to hm by the media...major networks...movies and by word of mouth...people who repeat what they hear.
What does the media feed Americans?.... that Africans are poor...always hungry...primitive.
What does the media feed Africans?....that AA are lazy...depend on Welfare... are drug pushers and drug users... are robbers...killers...uneducated... AA women are baby mamas.....baby daddies are likely in prison...like sooo many other Blacks...no doubt...criminal in nature.
Both AA and Africans ..in general...swallow what the media feed them.without chewing...without question....it must be the truth...no doubt.
Then there is the superiority complex question....as raised above...why the complex?...that too many Africans feel superior to AA? It is just an extension of the class discrimination practises in Africa... so why wouldn't the AA be at the bottom of the barrel?...after all...they are Descendants of Slaves...and that is enough for us to feel superior.
Education system in America try its best to keep Black history...Africa out of the system....so Blacks are generally kept in the dark about their history ...not even the Slave Trade.
Education system in Africa .... the Point of No Return is the point where ignorance of what happened after to captured Africans begin.
Believe it or not.... Nollywood (2000-2006) had....had a major impact...positive... on how AA view Africans...served as a window to see first hand...African culture.
Nairaland is a great platform for us to understand each other and bridge the gap...there is a whole lot we can learn right here.

Nicely said.

I have seen some of those Nollywood films on Netflix. Some of them are good. But Netflix doesnt update its inventory of Nollywood films.

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Khonvicted(m): 6:19am On Jun 26, 2018
Hello Guys, I really appreciate the existence of this thread and also thanks to FrankNetter and other members that have made this thread active. I’m an immigrant currently living in New York City, I got to the USA a month ago.. I tried applying to two colleges as a freshman and they both requested for my WASSCE to be evaluated. I checked WES but their requirement is too rigid since I’m not in Nigeria and the time span will be too long cos the college application deadline is September. I came across Globe language services inc. and SpanTran, please which is better btw these two? I’m open to all suggestions as this is urgent.

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lakesidepapa(m): 10:42am On Jun 26, 2018
Originalsly:
Education system in Africa .... the Point of No Return is the beginning of ignorance of what happened after to captured Africans...that history is left out of this sysyem.

Originalsly, Pls whats the different between B1/B2 visa and B1 and B2 visa? its very urgent Sir
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Originalsly: 3:25pm On Jun 26, 2018
lakesidepapa:

Originalsly, Pls whats the different between B1/B2 visa and B1 and B2 visa? its very urgent Sir

I really don't know. Go to visa threads...lots of experts there.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by orbis(m): 8:58pm On Jun 26, 2018
Khonvicted:
Hello Guys, I really appreciate the existence of this thread and also thanks to FrankNetter and other members that have made this thread active. I’m an immigrant currently living in New York City, I got to the USA a month ago.. I tried applying to two colleges as a freshman and they both requested for my WASSCE to be evaluated. I checked WES but their requirement is too rigid since I’m not in Nigeria and the time span will be too long cos the college application deadline is September. I came across Globe language services inc. and SpanTran, please which is better btw these two? I’m open to all suggestions as this is urgent.

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME

Apply to community college first make this season no pass you by. The big universities would always want to follow protocol since they got few slots available

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Khonvicted(m): 11:30pm On Jun 26, 2018
orbis:

Apply to community college first make this season no pass you by. The big universities would always want to follow protocol since they got few slots available

Yes bro, naso I do am o .. na just the high school evaluation Dey hold my admission.. Thanks for the smart advice!
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by abbeyboy2o15(m): 5:28am On Jun 27, 2018
Khonvicted:

Yes bro, naso I do am o .. na just the high school evaluation Dey hold my admission.. Thanks for the smart advice!
Some CC does not even ask for your waec result you do assessment test to determine your strength. And after that, they use the assessment test result to put you in the class, for me that was how it was done in my CC before I transferred to CSU. CC Do save you a lot of money. What state are you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Khonvicted(m): 7:02am On Jun 27, 2018
abbeyboy2o15:
Some CC does not even ask for your waec result you do assessment test to determine your strength. And after that, they use the assessment test result to put you in the class, for me that was how it was done in my CC before I transferred to CSU. CC Do save you a lot of money. What state are you.

It actually the best option.. CC is the perfect start for me. That placement test is another thing, I’m trying to get materials that can help me.
I live in Bay shore, New York
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by abbeyboy2o15(m): 7:31am On Jun 27, 2018
Khonvicted:

It actually the best option.. CC is the perfect start for me. That placement test is another thing, I’m trying to get materials that can help me.
I live in Bay shore, New York
ok my Cc save me a lot because financial aid won't be enough in 4 years university, that was how I started back then.The school should help with preparing for assessment test. Although our state is different am in Los Angeles California.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Predstan: 4:09pm On Jun 27, 2018
Its really a good thing to have created this thread. I need you to help me answer some of my questions in regard to studying in the State. I am a graduate of HND in Electrical and Electronics Engineering and I am willing to migrate to the US to study for Masters. My unofficial evaluation with WES is 3.6 and the official will be available soon (next week). I am also preparing for GRE and my test date is July 2nd. Now my question is this;
Firstly. Are you going to advice that I apply for masters in Electrical engineering considering the job prospect in the state or what other course is more profitable. I heard IT is one of them best but can I switch from Electrical? although I major in telecommunications.
Lastly, I can't afford the exorbitant tuition fee and my parent does not even have the statement of account to stand for at the US embassy. I need a fellowship amounting to tuition waiver to cater for my education. What's your take on my issue. I will be applying for Fall 19 session so all my decision would be between now and August so that I can apply early wait for a positive decision to come in.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Khonvicted(m): 5:54pm On Jun 27, 2018
abbeyboy2o15:
ok my Cc save me a lot because financial aid won't be enough in 4 years university, that was how I started back then.The school should help with preparing for assessment test. Although our state is different am in Los Angeles California.

Thanks for the enlightenment bro .. I really appreciate.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by abbeyboy2o15(m): 12:04am On Jun 28, 2018
Khonvicted:

Thanks for the enlightenment bro .. I really appreciate.
You are highly welcome.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 2:41am On Jun 28, 2018
Yhemzylee:

Thanks,I will definitely look into it...God bless you..

Did you ever look into it. A coworker and I did yesterday and this was my my reaction after seeing the fees compared to what I am paying now...

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 2:42am On Jun 28, 2018
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Holocene(m): 3:32am On Jun 28, 2018
The only difference between the African-Americans and the folks in Africa is just the accent. Kids of Nigerian parents born in the US eventually morph into the American system and would rather be called Americans than Nigerians. Only the names give them off sometimes. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 8:01am On Jun 28, 2018
Bsuedu:

Did you ever look into it. A coworker and I did yesterday and this was my my reaction after seeing the fees compared to what I am paying now...

Yes I did,quite outrageous anyway...looking on a better option.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jun 28, 2018
Yhemzylee:

Yes I did,quite outrageous anyway...looking on a better option.

Then we are looking at 2 different things cuz their fees are flat, based on a 6 month term in which you can add add as many courses you can. Whereas I am paying per 3 credit hour course per every 3 months. I thought it waa cheap actually.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 1:06am On Jul 03, 2018
Predstan:
Its really a good thing to have created this thread. I need you to help me answer some of my questions in regard to studying in the State. I am a graduate of HND in Electrical and Electronics Engineering and I am willing to migrate to the US to study for Masters. My unofficial evaluation with WES is 3.6 and the official will be available soon (next week). I am also preparing for GRE and my test date is July 2nd. Now my question is this;
Firstly. Are you going to advice that I apply for masters in Electrical engineering considering the job prospect in the state or what other course is more profitable. I heard IT is one of them best but can I switch from Electrical? although I major in telecommunications.
Lastly, I can't afford the exorbitant tuition fee and my parent does not even have the statement of account to stand for at the US embassy. I need a fellowship amounting to tuition waiver to cater for my education. What's your take on my issue. I will be applying for Fall 19 session so all my decision would be between now and August so that I can apply early wait for a positive decision to come in.

Please guys, help this fellow out

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 1:36am On Jul 03, 2018
Hello guys, happy new month.

Wetin Dey happen?

10 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jul 03, 2018
FrankNetter:

Wetin Dey happen?

We Dey fine and you,any update from the other side?

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Holocene(m): 6:12am On Jul 07, 2018
FrankNetter:

Wetin Dey happen?

Hey Frankie, your page needs new content. Gist us the latest gossip in Chiraq grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by winterstorm: 1:19pm On Jul 07, 2018
Predstan:

Go here
https://www.nairaland.com/4225931/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part/402
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by achilex: 6:40pm On Jul 07, 2018
Greetings to all the great members of this forum. I'll be as straight forward as possible. I graduated with a Bachelor's in 2017 and applied for my masters in environmental policy this year 2018, in Canada. I was awarded a full tuition waiver, living stipend and money for accommodation. But my study permit application was refused, for so many reasons a 22 year old cannot comprehend.

I have decided to let God take the glory and move on seeking similar opportunities in U.S.A for my masters in environment related field.

please I implore the benevolent contributors in this group to give me some ideas.

in conclusion, I need to know how to apply for a tuition waiver when applying for my master's program in USA. when I applied to Canada, I was asked to contact a faculty supervisor willing to supervise my research. The total applicable funding was quoted on the program website, but for the USA I learnt this process is for PhD applications.

should I just go ahead and search for programs with my course of interest, apply, and pray I get a similar opportunity? (the USA student visa process is easier I guess) or I still need to identity a faculty supervisor prior to my application? (I am going for thesis route)

Thank you. your warm contributions are highly anticipated.�
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by winterstorm: 8:18pm On Jul 07, 2018
achilex:
Greetings to all the great members of this forum. I'll be as straight forward as possible. I graduated with a Bachelor's in 2017 and applied for my masters in environmental policy this year 2018, in Canada. I was awarded a full tuition waiver, living stipend and money for accommodation. But my study permit application was refused, for so many reasons a 22 year old cannot comprehend.

I have decided to let God take the glory and move on seeking similar opportunities in U.S.A for my masters in environment related field.

please I implore the benevolent contributors in this group to give me some ideas.

in conclusion, I need to know how to apply for a tuition waiver when applying for my master's program in USA. when I applied to Canada, I was asked to contact a faculty supervisor willing to supervise my research. The total applicable funding was quoted on the program website, but for the USA I learnt this process is for PhD applications.

should I just go ahead and search for programs with my course of interest, apply, and pray I get a similar opportunity? (the USA student visa process is easier I guess) or I still need to identity a faculty supervisor prior to my application? (I am going for thesis route)

So sorry to hear about this...... Yes it's much easier.
Never give up, you can land full tuition waiver for US also but you need to write your GRE and apply on time.

Go here for more info on everything you need.
https://www.nairaland.com/4225931/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part/402
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Godson201333(m): 9:24pm On Jul 07, 2018
Originalsly:

You are very correct..However one must be ready to impact his knowledge to the other..

Africans are always proud and consider African Americans lazy simply because they never understood history and like you said, They got only little informations either from the media or from their parents.

African American think Africans are from the bush and they tend to think they have better life and automatically disassociate themselves from Africa....The thing is just life your life and make good friends, be open and share the little knowledge you know with other people.I have many whites friends today and they used to be racists,I had to teach them what they didnt know and clear the stereotype in their head....Now they eat eba...

17 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 1:36am On Jul 08, 2018
achilex:

Sorry about the setback bro. About your Phd visa inquiries, you should check out the USA student visa thread cos this is beyond my reach.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 1:37am On Jul 08, 2018
Update

You see, the place I work is a psychiatric facility (like I've said a million times) so na craze people full here. The place has 7 floors. Each floor has two general shower rooms, a dining area (with tv and dvd), a nursing station and some other rooms like the linen room (where they keep clothes), janitor closet (where they keep cleaning equipment) etc.
Floors 2, 3, and 4 tagged the "skilled floors"; 5, 6 and 7 are tagged the psych floors. The skilled floors require more work cos the residents on these floors pretty much cannot do anything for themselves, so you bath, clean, feed them. The psych floors are much more easier (for me) cos most times, all you have to do is supervise the floor and make sure they don't fight and kill each other, you pass linen, make sure the shower rooms are locked after use (a resident tried to drown herself sometime ago), check the rooms to make sure no one is smoking or doing funny stuff, pretty basic stuff.
The facility is also divided into different departments, Nursing (Nurses and Nursing assistants), cleaners (we call them housekeeping), cooks and food servers, security guards and the rest.

The nursing station is equipped with computers (for documenting the residents' day to day activities), a land-line telephone and a public address system which is connected to speakers on all floors (amongst other things). So if attention is needed on any of the floors, you speak into the public address system so as to alert all the floors.
The facility has different "codes" for different emergencies. Code blue for medical emergencies (cardiac arrest, choking etc), code yellow for staff attention on the floor when the residents are fighting, code red for fire outbreak and the rest. So instead of yelling "Mr James is having a heart attack!" into the public address system, you yell "code blue" so you would not cause panic amongst the residents. For the 6months + I've worked here, we've had countless code blues, code yellows but never a code red.

Picture one: food cart where the food trays are sent up in. The food trays come with the name, room number and type of diet each resident is supposed to eat. The diets for each resident differs, they range from puréed, regular, mechanical soft. You CANNOT give a resident that’s on puréed diet something else.

Picture two and three: soap and towels for the residents to take their showers

18 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by cashmyles: 1:53am On Jul 08, 2018
FrankNetter:
Update

typing...

Patiently waiting for the update..

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) ... (220) (Reply)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Giving Birth In Canada / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.