Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,754 members, 7,827,795 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:06 PM

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. - Travel (159) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (684966 Views)

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (156) (157) (158) (159) (160) (161) (162) ... (220) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by emmawharton1(f): 5:53am On Jul 29, 2018
A quick way to create a good looking resume is by using an online resume builder. www.hiration.com

Hiration provides a great online resume maker. This tool lets each user create a resume in each of their 20+ modern designs. Apart from that, this tool provides pre filled targeted content for more than 50 jobs, which makes the job of a user so easy! Each user has to just select the relevant job profile, make edits and voila, her resume is ready to be downloaded in a crisp PDF file!

Homguy:
what aspect of the IT industry are you in?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jul 29, 2018
Chapecoense:

Lol he only re-echoed your words.

Thx
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jul 29, 2018
Homguy:

I talked to my uncle about this and he said that cybersecurity is where the money is at especially at the government level. But the problem is the background clearance. If your background or family's background is amiss, it is a no go. Then on the medical side is Epic Hyperspace.

3 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by guiddoti: 6:44pm On Jul 29, 2018
EgunMogaji:

I'll refer you to the OP for more current advice. I left high school back when Olunloyo was still the Governor of Oyo state grin

I'm more versed on legal family immigrations (I'm currently at NVC for my Mother In Laws green card application).

Good luck on your travels. And never take no for an answer.
Tuale sir. This faceless forum no gree us salute first men. I loyal full ground.

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by guiddoti: 6:49pm On Jul 29, 2018
Holocene:
I dislike all these PM me for more info stuffs. If you know you have a pathway that's genuine and could help people, why dont you make it open.
Nursing isn't bad especially for new immigrants and it could afford you a decent life here. 30 bucks per hours as a RN is t bad for someone with a spouse who also works. You just got to know how you spend.
IT has been taken over by East Asians and it would be kinda difficult for someone with an African accent to get a pretty decent job.
I concur with your dislike too.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Homguy(m): 7:02pm On Jul 29, 2018
Backfornow:

I talked to my uncle about this and he said that cybersecurity is where the money is at especially at the government level. But the problem is the background clearance. If your background or family's background is amiss, it is a no go. Then on the medical side is Epic Hyperspace.
Alright, I am a pharmacist that will be moving out of the country soon to Canada likely, and I intend to break into the IT industry. i feel it might be more lucrative than pharmacy practice immediately after moving, more, i have always loved the computers. working presently with Python, C+, and and eventually JAVA, i also intend to start taking certifications as soon as i can. any idea about opportunities in the USA for a programmer/software developer for a person with these skill sets?, I am assuming opportunities in the US would be comparable to Canada.

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jul 29, 2018
guiddoti:
Tuale sir. This faceless forum no gree us salute first men. I loyal full ground.

You'll grow older than your ancestors and in good health.

I salute all the youths and I prostrate on top ground for elders ahead of me who dey for the area grin

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jul 29, 2018
Backfornow:

I might be able to answer a few general questions as I have various Epic certificates over the years.

I will say that going forward it's a money maker slice of the healthcare system. And it has actually been so for about a decade now.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jul 29, 2018
Chapecoense:

Lol he only re-echoed your words.

Thanks.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 11:22pm On Jul 29, 2018
Homguy:
Alright, I am a pharmacist that will be moving out of the country soon to Canada likely, and I intend to break into the IT industry. i feel it might be more lucrative than pharmacy practice immediately after moving, more, i have always loved the computers. working presently with Python, C+, and and eventually JAVA, i also intend to start taking certifications as soon as i can. any idea about opportunities in the USA for a programmer/software developer for a person with these skill sets?, I am assuming opportunities in the US would be comparable to Canada.

Im not in the IT industry, Im in healthcare. Im the opposite of you, I hate computers. I only talked to my uncle to confirm some things that were said here. That being said, the skills you mentioned, will only help you. Continue to build upon them. As someone else mentioned, IT and Health care are the major industries of growth here.
Yes, US and Canada are very comparable. But as far as I know, the US is more strict on medical licenses.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 11:25pm On Jul 29, 2018
EgunMogaji:

I might be able to answer a few general questions as I have various Epic certificates over the years.

I will say that going forward it's a money maker slice of the healthcare system. And it has actually been so for about a decade now.

I am sorta interested in Epic since I work with this system, but as far as I know your hospital of employment has to sponsor you. Is there a way around this. I heard that if you became a superuser you would be more likely to be sponsored.

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Homguy(m): 11:55pm On Jul 29, 2018
Backfornow:

Im not in the IT industry, Im in healthcare. Im the opposite of you, I hate computers. I only talked to my uncle to confirm some things that were said here. That being said, the skills you mentioned, will only help you. Continue to build upon them. As someone else mentioned, IT and Health care are the major industries of growth here.
Yes, US and Canada are very comparable. But as far as I know, the US is more strict on medical licenses.
Thanks man
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 1:11am On Jul 30, 2018
Backfornow:

I am sorta interested in Epic since I work with this system, but as far as I know your hospital of employment has to sponsor you. Is there a way around this. I heard that if you became a superuser you would be more likely to be sponsored.

No way around it except if you join Epic directly as their employee.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 1:32am On Jul 30, 2018
EgunMogaji:

No way around it except if you join Epic directly as their employee.
cry
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by kroger: 2:44am On Jul 30, 2018
Homguy:

I am into Oracle DBA, switching to security now..
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by kroger: 2:46am On Jul 30, 2018
stonemasonn:
$700k!, your friends must be reputable gurus in cyber security.

Very Reputable, just this night he got a three month contract job for $54k, aside his other full time jobs..
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by kroger: 2:51am On Jul 30, 2018
Backfornow:

I would love to know this your uncle wink
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Holocene(m): 3:37am On Jul 30, 2018
Homguy:
It would be easier for you to practice your pharmacy stuff in the US ....you just got to be licensed first. I heard it's way easier for a nurse or pharmacist to get accreditation than a foreign trained doctor in the US.

I would advise you to focus on healthcare as it pays equally good

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 3:53am On Jul 30, 2018
Holocene:

It would be easier for you to practice your pharmacy stuff in the US ....you just got to be licensed first. I heard it's way easier for a nurse or pharmacist to get accreditation than a foreign trained doctor in the US.

I would advise you to focus on healthcare as it pays equally good

Not pharmacy. Pharmacy is a different beast. I knew a pharmacist from Nigeria who was told he needed more education before he was even qualified to take the boards.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 3:54am On Jul 30, 2018
kroger:

I would love to know this your uncle wink

Hes in the DC/Virginia area.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Holocene(m): 6:27am On Jul 30, 2018
Backfornow:

Not pharmacy. Pharmacy is a different beast. I knew a pharmacist from Nigeria who was told he needed more education before he was even qualified to take the boards.
Dang, that sucks.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by stonemasonn: 7:58am On Jul 30, 2018
kroger:

Very Reputable, just this night he got a three month contract job for $54k, aside his other full time jobs..
What about scaling security/background checks for an immigrant with just few years living in America.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by adeniyi3971(m): 9:03am On Jul 30, 2018
kroger:

Replied!!
Sent you a pm
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Tunmesh: 1:08pm On Jul 30, 2018
kroger:

I have shared what i wanted to share.. Any interested persons can contact me privately and i give them the right info on how to go about it.. We can discuss other things pertaining to yankee..

Hello Sir, I am really following you, am new here, please don’t hesitate to help anybody who would want more of Enlightenment from you, like you rightly mentioned earlier that you met a man here on Nairaland who showed you the way, please show me the way also, I want to go into IT, don’t have any knowledge about IT but I want to go into it and start from somewhere. I’ll be glad if you can share me your contact email so that we can talk better, not in the States yet tho but soon. Have tried sending you a PM here but I don’t get it am new here. Please be your brothers keeper, we are meant to help and to raise each.....Thanking you in anticipation � �
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jul 30, 2018
Holocene:

Dang, that sucks.

Maybe I should explain better. The guy had a bachelor's in pharmacy from Nigeria. But in the states you need more than that to be a pharmacist. Plus he said that the drugs, classifications, dosages, usages are different than back in Nigeria. So he wouldnt just be able to jump in and take the test. So he just decided to do something else for now. I don't know what exactly, I lost contact with him.

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by kroger: 3:27pm On Jul 30, 2018
stonemasonn:
What about scaling security/background checks for an immigrant with just few years living in America.

Most report Dont include dates only criminal record. I once did a background check on a job of 5 years experience and I was barely two years.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by kroger: 3:32pm On Jul 30, 2018
Tunmesh:

Hello Sir, I am really following you, am new here, please don’t hesitate to help anybody who would want more of Enlightenment from you, like you rightly mentioned earlier that you met a man here on Nairaland who showed you the way, please show me the way also, I want to go into IT, don’t have any knowledge about IT but I want to go into it and start from somewhere. I’ll be glad if you can share me your contact email so that we can talk better, not in the States yet tho but soon. Have tried sending you a PM here but I don’t get it am new here. Please be your brothers keeper, we are meant to help and to raise each.....Thanking you in anticipation � �

You can reach me on juniorsecond1@Gmail.com .. Even though you got no IT knowledge we can train you on a particular targeted aspect and become a master on it.. We are currently working on starting an online training for those not in ATL first week of September..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 3:36pm On Jul 30, 2018
kroger:

Most report Dont include dates only criminal record. I once did a background check on a job of 5 years experience and I was barely two years.

Dont be misled. These people are not stupid. They know either at the background stage or on the job. They just chose to let it slide. Try that at a company that cares, you will be shown the door.

6 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by kroger: 3:56pm On Jul 30, 2018
Backfornow:

Dont be misled. These people are not stupid. They know either at the background stage or on the job. They just chose to let it slide. Try that at a company that cares, you will be shown the door.

If you have a good reference that knows the job you are good to go.. You got to know your onion before you get to the job or else you will be fired.. My current job I had a 5 years experience on my resume they expected more from me which I didn't have but thank God for my mentor who I always called whenever I got stuck on d job. But now I am well grounded. .

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Homguy(m): 4:04pm On Jul 30, 2018
Backfornow:

Not pharmacy. Pharmacy is a different beast. I knew a pharmacist from Nigeriah who was told he needed more education before he was even qualified to take the boards.
really?! This is the first timee I am hearing this. Maybe he finished from an unrecognized pharmacy school in Nigeria .

He might also be a Pharmacy technician.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Homguy(m): 4:09pm On Jul 30, 2018
Tunmesh:

start already bro!
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Yanumo(m): 4:22pm On Jul 30, 2018
The instructions at the back of the ds-160 confirmation page and appointment confirmation page what's the use in the embassy. I'm asking should I print them out or not. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (156) (157) (158) (159) (160) (161) (162) ... (220) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Canada / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.