Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,607 members, 7,827,291 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:09 AM

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. - Travel (160) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (684943 Views)

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (157) (158) (159) (160) (161) (162) (163) ... (220) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jul 30, 2018
Homguy:
really?! This is the first timee I am hearing this. Maybe he finished from an unrecognized pharmacy school in Nigeria .

He might also be a Pharmacy technician.

He told me he was a pharmacist, so I can only go off what he told me. It made sense to me but maybe you are right.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Beautyaddy: 7:05pm On Jul 30, 2018
Homguy:
really?! This is the first timee I am hearing this. Maybe he finished from an unrecognized pharmacy school in Nigeria .

He might also be a Pharmacy technician.

How many years is the Pharmacy program in Nigeria?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Homguy(m): 2:26pm On Jul 31, 2018
Beautyaddy:

How many years is the Pharmacy program in Nigeria?
5 years plus 1 year internshiip
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by djlaqua91(m): 5:19pm On Jul 31, 2018
kroger:

If you have a good reference that knows the job you are good to go.. You got to know your onion before you get to the job or else you will be fired.. My current job I had a 5 years experience on my resume they expected more from me which I didn't have but thank God for my mentor who I always called whenever I got stuck on d job. But now I am well grounded. .

Heading towards Atlanta In a few months. Sent you a pm
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by kroger: 6:09pm On Jul 31, 2018
djlaqua91:

Heading towards Atlanta In a few months. Sent you a pm

Ok sir, will reply u asap
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by paroh137(m): 9:38pm On Jul 31, 2018
kroger:

You can reach me on juniorsecond1@Gmail.com .. Even though you got no IT knowledge we can train you on a particular targeted aspect and become a master on it.. We are currently working on starting an online training for those not in ATL first week of September..

Boss I'll shoot you an email too. Hope you don't mind.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by paroh137(m): 9:43pm On Jul 31, 2018
Since Sunday I've been hooked on this thread like a drug addict. Thank you very much franknetter for initiating this. The support I'm seeing here for strangers is overwhelming and encouraging. One day one day we go join una for that side, experience life too.

8 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Babyvet: 11:15pm On Jul 31, 2018
Backfornow:

Im not in the IT industry, Im in healthcare. Im the opposite of you, I hate computers. I only talked to my uncle to confirm some things that were said here. That being said, the skills you mentioned, will only help you. Continue to build upon them. As someone else mentioned, IT and Health care are the major industries of growth here.
Yes, US and Canada are very comparable. But as far as I know, the US is more strict on medical licenses.

Actually I have been hearing the opposite, that Canada is more strict especially with getting placement for medical doctors in Canada is extremely difficult. I feel like the US has far more far more opportunities than Canada. I think the best part of Canada is their immigration system , that my opinion. This also feedback that I have gotten from people who left the US due to stringent immigration rules and went to Canada.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 11:18pm On Jul 31, 2018
Babyvet:

Actually I have been hearing the opposite, that Canada is more strict and getting placement for medical doctors in Canada is extremely difficult. I feel like the US has far more far more opportunities than Canada. I think the best part of Canada is their immigration system , that my opinion. This also feedback I have gotten from people who left the US due to stringent immigration rules and went to Canada.

I have heard that immigration is easier in Canada. However, I do believe that they will tighten up at some point.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Babyvet: 11:57pm On Jul 31, 2018
Backfornow:

I have heard that immigration is easier in Canada. However, I do believe that they will tighten up at some point.

They have been saying that it will tighten up for a while but they haven't. Like I said, Canada has some good points to it, like their Immigration but when it comes to Job opportunities, the US surpasses them. The one thing I detest about this country is their immigration system. If you don't have any ties to the US its very hard to migrate here unlike Canada. So there are pros and cons for both countries, it just depends on what your goals and aspirations are.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 12:20am On Aug 01, 2018
Babyvet:

They have been saying that it will tighten up for a while but they haven't. Like I said, Canada has some good points to it, like their Immigration but when it comes to Job opportunities, the US surpasses them. The one thing I detest about this country is their immigration system. If you don't have any ties to the US its very hard to migrate here unlike Canada. So there are pros and cons for both countries, it just depends on what your goals and aspirations are.

True

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 12:22am On Aug 01, 2018
kroger:

If you have a good reference that knows the job you are good to go.. You got to know your onion before you get to the job or else you will be fired.. My current job I had a 5 years experience on my resume they expected more from me which I didn't have but thank God for my mentor who I always called whenever I got stuck on d job. But now I am well grounded. .

To each his own..
Me myself, l think it is a bad idea. I wouldnt advise people to things like this when other countries already think Nigerians are scammers and liars.

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 12:24am On Aug 01, 2018
stonemasonn:
Guy, Please I need tips to the backdoor ooo, I don dey near forty.

What are you trying to accomplish, without getting personal? Maybe we can collectively help.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by kroger: 2:03am On Aug 01, 2018
Backfornow:

To each his own..
Me myself, l think it is a bad idea. I wouldnt advise people to things like this when other countries already think Nigerians are scammers and liars.

The Indians are the masters of this tactics, A guy comes straight from a village in India to america and gets a slot by his fellow Indian brothers and he learns ON THE JOB.. They have formed a formidable force in the IT sector.. So long you do your research and learn your job description there is nothing to worry about.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Originalsly: 5:31pm On Aug 01, 2018
kroger:

The Indians are the masters of this tactics, A guy comes straight from a village in India to america and gets a slot by his fellow Indian brothers and he learns ON THE JOB.. They have formed a formidable force in the IT sector.. So long you do your research and learn your job description there is nothing to worry about.

Bro...don't mislead people...why not mention such happens within their own Indian companies?.... and do let us know how well they pay.......and work conditions.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by kroger: 6:51pm On Aug 01, 2018
Originalsly:

Bro...don't mislead people...why not mention such happens within their own Indian companies?.... and do let us know how well they pay.......and work conditions.

Mislead who I am trying to comprehend what u talking about.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Originalsly: 8:00pm On Aug 01, 2018
kroger:

Mislead who I am trying to comprehend what u talking about.

My bad!...you did mention gets a slot from his own Indian brothers.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Dremca(m): 8:02pm On Aug 01, 2018
Fake news trending here, readers beware.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by rinzaugustine: 8:42pm On Aug 01, 2018
emmawharton1:
A quick way to create a good looking resume is by using an online resume builder. www.hiration.com

Hiration provides a great online resume maker. This tool lets each user create a resume in each of their 20+ modern designs. Apart from that, this tool provides pre filled targeted content for more than 50 jobs, which makes the job of a user so easy! Each user has to just select the relevant job profile, make edits and voila, her resume is ready to be downloaded in a crisp PDF file!

Good tip

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 10:02pm On Aug 01, 2018
Dremca:
Fake news trending here, readers beware.

Hmm,
Maybe you should say it louder so the people in the back can hear you.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by kroger: 12:24am On Aug 02, 2018
Originalsly:

My bad!...you did mention gets a slot from his own Indian brothers.

smiley
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by salford1: 1:10am On Aug 02, 2018
Homguy:
Alright, I am a pharmacist that will be moving out of the country soon to Canada likely, and I intend to break into the IT industry. i feel it might be more lucrative than pharmacy practice immediately after moving, more, i have always loved the computers. working presently with Python, C+, and and eventually JAVA, i also intend to start taking certifications as soon as i can. any idea about opportunities in the USA for a programmer/software developer for a person with these skill sets?, I am assuming opportunities in the US would be comparable to Canada.

Backfornow:

Im not in the IT industry, Im in healthcare. Im the opposite of you, I hate computers. I only talked to my uncle to confirm some things that were said here. That being said, the skills you mentioned, will only help you. Continue to build upon them. As someone else mentioned, IT and Health care are the major industries of growth here.
Yes, US and Canada are very comparable. But as far as I know, the US is more strict on medical licenses.
Two completely different countries. The economy of California alone is bigger than that of Canada. The US has a much larger economy; hence, opportunities are much more. It is also easier breaking into healthcare in the US than in Canada. Alot of Canadians also move south for better pay and cheaper living.

5 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 1:39am On Aug 02, 2018
salford1:

Two completely different countries. The economy of California alone is bigger than that of Canada. The US has a much larger economy; hence, opportunities are much more. It is also easier breaking into healthcare in the US than in Canada. Alot of Canadians also move south for better pay and cheaper living.

Good points.I can admit that I was wrong on a few points. I will just say this ,because there are so many different avenues in the medical industry, everyone should research the specific path that is applicable to them. When I say research I mean a reputable source which is the goverening agencies. I know that the nursing credentialing process is different than pharmacy, such as they are both different than doctors credentialing. All I was saying is that someone in the U S who wants to be a pharmacist today needs to have pharm d which is 8 yrs of education vs a bachelor's.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by investorD: 3:18am On Aug 02, 2018
Backfornow:

Good points.I can admit that I was wrong on a few points. I will just say this ,because there are so many different avenues in the medical industry, everyone should research the specific path that is applicable to them. When I say research I mean a reputable source which is the goverening agencies. I know that the nursing credentialing process is different than pharmacy, such as they are both different than doctors credentialing. All I was saying is that someone in the U S who wants to be a pharmacist today needs to have pharm d which is 8 yrs of education vs a bachelor's.

From Nigeria or US?
pharmD is 6 years in Nigeria, university of Benin to be precise.

3 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 3:21am On Aug 02, 2018
investorD:

From Nigeria or US?
pharmD is 6 years in Nigeria, university of Benin to be precise.

US pharm d is at least 8 years.
So is a bachelors in Nigeria not 4 yrs for pharmacy?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by salford1: 4:50am On Aug 02, 2018
Backfornow:

Canada has started Pharm D too, but you can still practice with your BPharm license, same as the US. My wife is a licensed Pharmacist in Canada and she has colleagues that her Pharmacists in the US too, all Nigeria trained with BPharm not Pharm D.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 5:02am On Aug 02, 2018
salford1:

Canada has started pharm D too, but you can still practice with your Bpharm license, same as the US. My wife is a licensed pharmacist in Canada and she has colleagues that her pharmacists in the US too, all Nigeria trained with BPharm not Pharm D.

Good to know. Thx for clearing this up.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by salford1: 5:13am On Aug 02, 2018
Backfornow:

Good to know. Thx for clearing this up.
You are welcome sir.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Homguy(m): 6:27am On Aug 02, 2018
salford1:

whoa! Is that how small Canada's economy is ? Its way easier entering canada legitimately than the US hence my reason for relocating there. Maybe after settling sufficiently one may consider the Us. But with the 'rate' of gun violence in the US its becoming a scary place for me,personally.
Thanks for the heads-up tho.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Homguy(m): 6:30am On Aug 02, 2018
salford1:

Canada has started Pharm D too, but you can still practice with your BPharm license, same as the US. My wife is a licensed Pharmacist in Canada and she has colleagues that her Pharmacists in the US too, all Nigeria trained with BPharm not Pharm D.

Not all bro. Graduates of UniBen are awarded PharmD. They are the only school running PharmD currently in Nigeria. Their pharmacy programme is also 6 years as opposed to 5 years for all other pharmacy schools in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by claremont(m): 8:53am On Aug 02, 2018
Homguy:
Not all bro. Graduates of UniBen are awarded PharmD. They are the only school running PharmD currently in Nigeria. Their pharmacy programme is also 6 years as opposed to 5 years for all other pharmacy schools in Nigeria.

I think the point is that regardless of whatever pharmacy qualification you leave Nigeria with, you will still need to do a bridging programme and qualification exams if you intend to practice in any developed country. This takes time, and the time it takes vary depending on the country you migrate to. It also depends on the individual and other external factors beyond your control. It could be between 2 to 10 years to get certified on average.

6 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Homguy(m): 9:49am On Aug 02, 2018
claremont:

I think the point is that regardless of whatever pharmacy qualification you leave Nigeria with, you will still need to do a bridging programme and qualification exams if you intend to practice in any developed country. This takes time, and the time it takes vary depending on the country you migrate to. It also depends on the individual and other external factors beyond your control. It could be between 2 to 10 years to get certified on average.
Sure, I understand this.

(1) (2) (3) ... (157) (158) (159) (160) (161) (162) (163) ... (220) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Canada / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.