Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,927 members, 7,810,563 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:11 AM

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. - Travel (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (682524 Views)

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (220) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Bossman(m): 2:27pm On Jan 11, 2017
Usually, you'll see that those that are complaining about the country are those that are having a hard time doing well in the system, for one reason or another. Be it lack of education or not hard working, not legal, etc. If you are legal, have the proper education, and can work hard, you will do well.

20 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 2:49pm On Jan 11, 2017
maternal:
PlayaOne is one of those people who came abroad and didn't plan his life. After years of being a "playa" while his mates were grinding and built a good middle class lifestyle with assets, he has finally opened his eyes on the opportunities he had and eventually wasted. Now ashamed and embarrassed he needs to make excuses for his successful or lack of it abroad. So now he's running around discouraging people from coming abroad, and blaming racism and everybody for his lack of success abroad. Notice he hasn't taken any responsibility as well? Is someone putting a gun to his head and making him stay in America ? I'm 31 and in Canada, all my mates who came here all own houses and drive nice cars within 6 years after arriving. My cousin who just came here 4 months ago as a skilled worker just landed a entry level job at a major bank taking home 2600 Canadian dollars per month after taxes. You do the conversion. That's a entry level position. And he has his own apartment and about to get a car, not to mention he has the luxury of living in a country that provides everyday amenities (running water, constant neppa,etc). How many 31 year old can accomplish this in naija in 4 months unless there papsi was one big politician stealing money ? The funny part is, my uncle (his dad) was originally against him migrating here. Now he thanked God he did. He use to be one of those naija patriots (like playa), even he can say youths in naija have a future with a straight face anymore.

Playaone is a fool. Original onye ara. Don't mind him. Come abroad and you will not regret it, I promise you! Your destiny is literally in your own hands here, no bullsh!t. You work hard you'll be successful period!
i dey think am tooo........... grin grin grin grin grin

12 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jan 11, 2017
TWoods:

You hit the nail on the head. If you work hard and plan well... you will succeed in America. That is what is missing in naija. I had my own home and car by the time i was 28 (and i only came here at 23) - how many Nigerians back home can say that? If you spend your time buying jordans while your mates were studying... please blame yourself for your own failures.
God bless you ............ wink

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lakesidepapa(m): 6:12pm On Jan 11, 2017
Bossman:

As long as you have the skills and are hard working, there is always an opportunity.

Thank Bossman!
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Originalsly: 6:38pm On Jan 11, 2017
lakesidepapa:

Well said! Education this, education that. I had my first degree and i don't wish to further anymore for second degree but I got a skill of fork-lifting and little experience, Is the system okay for people that have vocational skill?
Hmmm.... bro... most of the time you see a skilled worker... he's earning more than an above average (supervisor level) White Collar worker and people know that. Certain jobs you may look down on are widely known to be fairly well paying jobs. .... Painters, Sanitation workers,(city garbage workers),Police, Firemen, trailer drivers, crane operators, mechanics, technicians period, Postal Workers.... not too much academic qualifications required except for Police.... these are all jobs that if you complete secondary school you can step right into. But.... you need to be legal and all require that you take tests...yes... even Sanitation.. that's a tough test.the physical part. So don't ever feel that it is only degrees that can bring you great success. It's a different ball game. In fact... you have a skill then you are more likely to find a job faster.

14 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lionlee216(m): 6:59pm On Jan 11, 2017
Originalsly:
Hmmm.... bro... most of the time you see a skilled worker... he's earning more than an above average (supervisor level) White Collar worker and if you complete secondary school you can step right into.

You don enter?

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Originalsly: 7:05pm On Jan 11, 2017
lionlee216:

You don enter?
What u think?!...see relevance to comment?!

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by guiddoti: 7:09pm On Jan 11, 2017
signature2012:

You won't understand where am driving at,and I don't really like dragging issue when it involve better life in Naija and Yankee.
Is as much their is recession in naija,some people are not feeling it at all,same way in US,so many black or African immigrants are leaving a better life than the white you are see or call racist.
Those who are not feeling it should be politicians, I guess, in Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lakesidepapa(m): 7:14pm On Jan 11, 2017
Originalsly:
Hmmm.... bro... most of the time you see a skilled worker... he's earning more than an above average (supervisor level) White Collar worker and people know that. Certain jobs you may look down on are widely known to be fairly well paying jobs. .... Painters, Sanitation workers,(city garbage workers),Police, Firemen, trailer drivers, crane operators, mechanics, technicians period, Postal Workers.... not too much academic qualifications required except for Police.... these are all jobs that if you complete secondary school you can step right into. But.... you need to be legal and all require that you take tests...yes... even Sanitation.. that's a tough test.the physical part. So don't ever feel that it is only degrees that can bring you great success. It's a different ball game. In fact... you have a skill then you are more likely to find a job faster.

This is what am talking about and i love it! Reason for not furthering my education is because my course is not part of STEM and for this, my Msc can only be sell-able in Naija and my body&soul is out of this coun3. So i got a vocational skill and experience already, I think this will be a good ride for me out there.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Originalsly: 7:14pm On Jan 11, 2017
NYC...Upper Manhattan.

8 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lakesidepapa(m): 7:18pm On Jan 11, 2017
lionlee216:

You don enter?
He's very Right!
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by guiddoti: 7:23pm On Jan 11, 2017
Originalsly:
In Nigeria context, those are hard labour jobs, not what it's like overseas. For example, a bricklayer earns less than 5 pounds for 8 hours, and you expect the same man to fully establish his family.

8 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lakesidepapa(m): 7:23pm On Jan 11, 2017
Originalsly:
NYC...Upper Manhattan.
You texting while driving?

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Originalsly: 7:37pm On Jan 11, 2017
lakesidepapa:

You texting while driving?
Like I said... support is soo important. Texting while being driven!...have lots of support... for food, shelter and to be driven around!

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by maternal: 8:26pm On Jan 11, 2017
lakesidepapa:

This is what am talking about and i love it! Reason for not furthering my education is because my course is not part of STEM and for this, my Msc can only be sell-able in Naija and my body&soul is out of this coun3. So i got a vocational skill and experience already, I think this will be a good ride for me out there.

Over here unless you have a degree as a doctor, Pharmacists, etc or some professional degree, you're wasting your time. Skilled workers make a lot of money here. Once you get certified and obtain a red seal, you'll be laughing. School nowadays are a scam, just a business.

24 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lakesidepapa(m): 8:29pm On Jan 11, 2017
Originalsly:
Like I said... support is soon important. Texting while being driven!...have lots of support... for food, shelter and to be driven around!

Wow
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lakesidepapa(m): 8:33pm On Jan 11, 2017
maternal:

Over here unless you have a degree as a doctor, Pharmacists, etc or some professional degree, you're wasting your time. Skilled workers make a lot of money here. Once you get certified and obtain a red seal, you'll be laughing. School nowadays are a scam, just a business.

So someone can not just jump/land into the job of his/her vocational skill without being certified and obtain the red seal? I'm talking about the skill someone acquired bck from home.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lionlee216(m): 9:07pm On Jan 11, 2017
Originalsly:

Welcome sir..
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by maternal: 10:10pm On Jan 11, 2017
lakesidepapa:

So someone can not just jump/land into the job of his/her vocational skill without being certified and obtain the red seal? I'm talking about the skill someone acquired bck from home.

No. Maybe if you got it from the UK/US and you do a equivalent, and convert it into Canadian qualifications (I'm in Canada). Those two countries shouldn't have a problem. But from Nigeria, no or it'd be very hard. Even if you do get it converted, when employers see that Nigerian qualification they'd rather hire someone with Canadian qualification any way. You just can't trust qualifications from Nigeria. You have many illiterates with degrees from naija. Levels get levels. But if here, spend 3-4 years to get a relevant qualification and you'll be ok.

18 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lionlee216(m): 10:46pm On Jan 11, 2017
Originalsly:
NYC...Upper Manhattan.

Boss Boss! Nice one bro

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lionlee216(m): 10:48pm On Jan 11, 2017
Originalsly:
Like I said... support is soon important. Texting while being driven!...have lots of support... for food, shelter and to be driven around!

Can we share the support together? grin grin

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jan 11, 2017
bayocanny:

Bro, do you know or been to Coleman University in San Diego?
I know the place but I haven't been to the school
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by bayocanny: 11:56pm On Jan 11, 2017
CFCman:
I know the place but I haven't been to the school
A friend of mine is a graduate of that school.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by bayocanny: 12:09am On Jan 12, 2017
Thunder go fire Nigerian Politicians...see the way everything make sense for obodo oyinbo, whoever come on this thread and start saying trash about "e o easy in yankee" whalai I go curse the persin. FrankNetter, Signature2012 and other person wey dey amelika continue posting pcitures I dey gbadun you guys. Wherever I am na yankee I dey see for vision, in my dream...yankee, when eating...yankee, walking on the street...na so so yankee I dey always visualize, even inside the lecture room...na yankee I no dey concentrate in class any longer. Even if lecturer ask me question, na definition of yankee I dey give, lol mehn I don tire...
Abeg, yankee na country, other countries are local government...I go soon run away

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by jackson44(m): 12:26am On Jan 12, 2017
signature2012:
You just said everything I have in mind.Many years ago,some of my relatives will come back from obodo oyinbo,dey will tell me America no easy o,too much tax,too much work,too much stress,bla bla bla.For my korokoro eyes,they will buy houses,import cars of different types,containers coming in to naija every 3 months,and they keep saying America no easy.
One day,I told myself,let me also go and experience the "e no easy life" without letting them know am coming...
Am enjoying the "e no easy life better than my bank work of almost 10 years.....I sight u ooh

If you are talking about Racism in America,what about Nepotism and Favouritism In Naija.#Think..

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by maternal: 1:16am On Jan 12, 2017
bayocanny:
Thunder go fire Nigerian Politicians...see the way everything make sense for obodo oyinbo, whoever come on this thread and start saying trash about "e o easy in yankee" whalai I go curse the persin. FrankNetter, Signature2012 and other person wey dey amelika continue posting pcitures I dey gbadun you guys. Wherever I am na yankee I dey see for vision, in my dream...yankee, when eating...yankee, walking on the street...na so so yankee I dey always visualize, even inside the lecture room...na yankee I no dey concentrate in class any longer. Even if lecturer ask me question, na definition of yankee I dey give, lol mehn I don tire...
Abeg, yankee na country, other countries are local government...I go soon run away

LOL I haven't laugh like this in years. Na def of Yankee I go give. My cousin is the same way but I'll be sponsoring him out of there soon.

12 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Femcesc07(m): 3:50am On Jan 12, 2017
Well said bro
So how can he get to do those work legally
Originalsly:
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Originalsly: 3:56am On Jan 12, 2017
Femcesc07:
Well said bro
So how can he get to do those work legally
Green Card .... meet job requirements .. pass test... and interviews.

6 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Femcesc07(m): 4:00am On Jan 12, 2017
So did you apply as a student or skill worker while processing your yankee visa bro
Originalsly:
Green Card .... meet job requirements .. pass test... and interviews.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by TWoods(m): 4:23am On Jan 12, 2017
bayocanny:

Not true. There's Canada, Germany, Austrai, Denmark, Norway, Netherlands, Switzerland... all really nice countries - some with even better benefits than you'd get in the US. The biggest advantage to being in the US for me is the privilege of being able to go to other countries without much of a hassle. the idea that i'd have to queue at a consulate begging some young fellow for a visa to visit his country for 2 days makes me feel sorry for being born on this side of the planet.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 5:31am On Jan 12, 2017
Bossman:
Usually, you'll see that those that are complaining about the country are those that are having a hard time doing well in the system, for one reason or another. Be it lack of education or not hard working, not legal, etc. If you are legal, have the proper education, and can work hard, you will do well.
and usually the its the 1s who want 2 flee ta another country who lack the will or care or are 2 lazy 2 put in effort to make their country as good as the 1 they ran 2

u and those who liked yer post and hold yer mindset of relocation are only thinking of yer Own comfort undecided
so the state of affairs in a country is no matter .
U want a ready made country to live in undecided
and u have the audacity to speak on the laziness and lack of effort of lower tear America's

:oU and the people who liked yer post are just like em!!!!!
Not putting in effort to improve yer country or 2 lazy undecided undecided

Nigerian can be good,she is already developing .
instead of fantasizing about moving abroad 2 America while bashing the lower classes of her citizens for their personal concerns .

concerns u have yerself in yer country

why don't u vote better and put in effort 2 make yer country more livable undecided

Cc pidgin2

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by TWoods(m): 5:38am On Jan 12, 2017
DeepFriedPuff:
and usually the its the 1s who want 2 flee ta another country who lack the will or care 2 put in effort to make there country as good as the 1 they ran 2

u and those who liked her post and hold yet mindset if relocation are only thinking of yer Own comfort undecided so the state of affairs in a country is no matter

Live in America if u want but Nigerian can be ,better even .
lord knows America has her flaws and challenges for her citizens of any class below rich. undecided u conceited individual

Well you tell us, who's comfort should we be thinking of? Yours?

6 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (220) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Canada / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.