Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,798 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:07 PM

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. - Travel (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (682401 Views)

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (220) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Senorita123(f): 1:17am On Jan 10, 2017
Playa0ne:

I was back home for christmas, I speak with you from Nigeria now. Things are really bad true and I do not dispute tha fact that you can easily get a lot of things here abroad that you lack back home. But I tell you, just like Maslows hierarchy of needs, you would want more than food, shelter and electricity and security with time. The tribal slurs and all what have you in Nigeria is mainly online..its not bad in every day life in Nigeria. Ofenmanu is not a derogatory term, it means people who cook with too much oil...its like saying Oyibo is derogatory...wait to you come abroad, you will be amazed by the number of racist and ignorant white people around. Some hide their scorn and disdain for you and give you a fake smile (they learn that smile in school) but others would call you names it would make you feel really bad. So sister its a give and take thing, its not all green grass anywhere. Most of the people posing for you abroad are trapped...the nice Facebook pictures are to deceive you that all is well, most of them do very low jobs that you cant imagine becauses it really difficult to migrate from Nigeria at a later age and out compete kids who grew up in the system, and beat them to really good jobs...a 16year old kid abroad is on the average smarter than a 30year old man in Nigeria. I know there is nothing that you will tell a person in Nigeria right now about the true lifestyle abroad that they would understand, I pray you get a Visa soon so that you can see for yourself. I am planing on relocating back to Niger, I am working on a plan. cheers!

Take note that Oyibo people also fight and act unruly, its just that you cannot join them because it can go into your records if you get arrested and this could affect your visa extension or your stay in the country. So if you see trouble you must stay clear even though nah your trouble them find unless you have permanent residency.
Lol... Thanks much, this is educative. I laughed hard at the 'they learn that smile in school' part.

12 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Playa0ne: 1:20am On Jan 10, 2017
signature2012:
@playa0ne,I don't want to talk,but let me just say this,is not easy or rosy in America at the initial stage,but with time,things will surely get better.The difference between naija and yankee is OPPOTUNITY!
I dont care about racism so as far it does not affect my paycheck.

Yeah thats what a man who has no food or shelter says at first...when you have enough food then the kind of clothes you wear starts to border you...so your needs keep growing...soon you want respect and wont tolerate been looked down on...its a gradual process...MASLOW said so.

20 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by signature2012(m): 1:26am On Jan 10, 2017
Playa0ne:

Yeah thats what a man who has no food or shelter says at first...when you have enough food then the kind of clothes you wear starts to border you...so your needs keep growing...soon you want respect and wont tolerate been looked down on...its a gradual process...MASLOW said so.
You won't understand where am driving at,and I don't really like dragging issue when it involve better life in Naija and Yankee.
Is as much their is recession in naija,some people are not feeling it at all,same way in US,so many black or African immigrants are leaving a better life than the white you are see or call racist.

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Playa0ne: 1:30am On Jan 10, 2017
Senorita123:

Lol... Thanks much, this is educative. I laughed hard at the 'they learn that smile in school' part.

Its a good idea to go learn or hustle for a while abroad (it re-orientates and frees your mind from all the bullshit that you learnt in Niger) education in the west will give you the mind of a God when compared to that of a Nigerian confined to this shores ...the country is really beautiful and you can save some average money, but you need to get a plan and leave as soon as possible or the system traps you.

16 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 1:36am On Jan 10, 2017
I see one piglet attempting to throw shots at me, the thing is, Im too busy enjoying myself to even let your shallow reply bother me.

If you love your country that much, why don't you set your USA passport on flames, rescind the citizenship (that's if you're not even an illegal immigrant) and return to your beloved nigeria.

67 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 1:46am On Jan 10, 2017
Whatever you post wont stop me from living my life in a perfectly, wonderfully sane and beautiful society. You might as well keep your opinions to yourself. Or... wait.. there's something better: Why don't you write it on a clean sheet of paper, fold it carefully, and shove it up your butthole. grin grin

52 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by 1Rebel: 2:17am On Jan 10, 2017
Playa0ne:

Its not all fun and happy or jolly as you all think,most of us live with regrets, if only things could be like this back home we often say, because by staying abroad you are making a huge trade-off. The choices are true happiness and belonging or living in a functional alien society. The OP just moved so he is still tripping, with time he would understand that there is more to life than a functional society. Life here is good but it cant be like home. Home is where your social network is, a place where you are accepted, where you dont look different, where you can make noise and even fight if you like, a place were you can compete without having to suffer abuses and deprivation because of your colour, you can NEVER understand what home is till you leave home.
NO PLACE LIKE HOME, this phrase must have been written by a man abroad, because ONLY PEOPLE LIVING ABROAD WOULD TRUELY UNDERSTAND THIS PHRASE!!!!

I think you should open a thread and gush about your love for nigeria. For all we know, you're one of these jobless kids on nl constituting nuisance with your free 10 MB. I bet you have never stepped foot in an airport grin grin

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by MISTAICEY02288(m): 2:36am On Jan 10, 2017
obinna5000:

I view some of them on your Instagram page

Oh really? So now you believe i aint lying abi wink
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by MISTAICEY02288(m): 2:47am On Jan 10, 2017
The houses in my area somewhere in Duluth Georgia

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by TWoods(m): 3:01am On Jan 10, 2017
Playa0ne:

Its a good idea to go learn or hustle for a while abroad (it re-orientates and frees your mind from all the bullshit that you learnt in Niger) education in the west will give you the mind of a God when compared to that of a Nigerian confined to this shores ...the country is really beautiful and you can save some average money, but you need to get a plan and leave as soon as possible or the system traps you.

What system? I've lived here 12 years and have not felt trapped by the system.

I often feel that the Nigerians who live here and yet rail against the "system" here are mostly those who either did not fully assimilate into the country, allow their inferiority complex to marginalize them or simply were not able to succeed in the system. My brother, cousins and i are making it quite well in corporate America and not a single one of us will contemplate spending one night in Nigeria if it can be helped. No system is perfect, but you cannot convince me that Nigeria holds any value to anyone who appreciates real living (as against merely existing).

Its easy to speak from your perch. You will always have an American passport to allow you to escape back to the "trap" you despise once things get bent out of shape for you in Nigeria. For what its worth, will you give up your US citizenship? If not, why not?

I was thinking about the tit for tat here as i drove home from work. I thought a lot about what home meant. Then it hit me - home is where i have peace, security, justice. Home is where i know i can drive at night, alone, on impulse, and have zero fear of armed robbers or area boys or bad roads. Home is going back to my abode, knowing i won't have to struggle to find kerosine to cook, that i won't need candles as my source of light, that i will turn on the tap and water will flow and that my biggest problem would be what to cook rather than if i will get to eat or not. Yes, there is racism here... but so what, its not like my black Nigerian brother did any better for me. The average 18-year old American kid can take a backpack, pick a ticket to anywhere in Europe and fly out... with nothing but a few dollars in their pocket. In Nigeria, successful middle class adults have to provide tax forms, letters from employer, return tickets home, bank account information, invitation letters, cram visa interview questions and answer + 7 day fasting and prayer, just to spend a few days in South Africa of all places. My brother... America isn't perfect, but i'm sure glad i live here not in Lagos.

212 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 3:24am On Jan 10, 2017
TWoods:

I often feel that the Nigerians who live here and yet rail against the "system" here are mostly those who either did not fully assimilate into the country, allow their inferiority complex to marginalize them or simply were not able to succeed in the system. My brother, cousins and i are making it quite well in corporate America and not a single one of us will contemplate spending one night in Nigeria if it can be helped. No system is perfect, but you cannot convince me that Nigeria holds any value to anyone who appreciates real living (as against merely existing).

Its easy to speak from your perch. You will always have an American passport to allow you to escape back to the "trap" you despise once things get bent out of shape for you in Nigeria. For what its worth, will you give up your US citizenship? If not, why not?

I was thinking about the tit for tat here as i drove home from work. I thought a lot about what home meant. Then it hit me - home is where i have peace, security, justice. Home is where i know i can drive at night, alone, on impulse, and have zero fear of armed robbers or area boys or bad roads. Home is going back to my abode, knowing i won't have to struggle to find kerosine to cook, that i won't need candles as my source of light, that i will turn on the tap and water will flow and that my biggest problem would be what to cook rather than if i will get to eat or not. Yes, there is racism here... but so what, its not like my black Nigerian brother did any better for me. The average 18-year old American kid can take a backpack, pick a ticket to anywhere in Europe and fly out... with nothing but a few dollars in their pocket. In Nigeria, successful middle class adults have to provide tax forms, letters from employer, return tickets home, bank account information, invitation letters, cram visa interview questions and answer + 7 day fasting and prayer, just to spend a few days in South Africa of all places. My brother... America isn't perfect, but i'm sure glad i live here not in Lagos.

Great reply bro. The dude feels everyone would be a failure like himself. undecided

55 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by bigfrancis21: 3:35am On Jan 10, 2017
Playa0ne:

The grass is not entirely greener anywhere, but then you can never understand till you relocate. Goodbye boy cool

I had to share this. Nigerians back home NEVER I mean NEVER understand that life abroad is very different from life in Nigeria. Nigeria is still very communal in behavior, here life is very individualistic. Life in america is good but comes at a price. Definitely, Nigerians only want to hear you speak good things about america as if it does not have its bad sides and speaking about it bad sides they think you don't want them to come here. Not at all. It is just letting them know that it's not just the fine things about America they see on TV. There is a bad side to it also, which Hollywood does a great job at hiding. Believe me I've written several posts about this before. Unfortunately, many do not understand until they get here. Those who never make it here will never understand.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 4:22am On Jan 10, 2017
Playa0ne:

I was back home for christmas, I speak with you from Nigeria now. Things are really bad true and I do not dispute tha fact that you can easily get a lot of things here abroad that you lack back home. But I tell you, just like Maslows hierarchy of needs, you would want more than food, shelter and electricity and security with time. The tribal slurs and all what have you in Nigeria is mainly online..its not bad in every day life in Nigeria. Ofenmanu is not a derogatory term, it means people who cook with too much oil...its like saying Oyibo is derogatory...wait to you come abroad, you will be amazed by the number of racist and ignorant white people around. Some hide their scorn and disdain for you and give you a fake smile (they learn that smile in school) but others would call you names it would make you feel really bad. So sister its a give and take thing, its not all green grass anywhere. Most of the people posing for you abroad are trapped, they are too ashamed to come home for fear that they be termed failure by friends and family...the nice Facebook pictures are to deceive you that all is well, most of them do very low jobs that you cant even imagine, because its really difficult to migrate from Nigeria at a later age and out compete kids who grew up in the system, and beat them to really good jobs...a 16year old kid abroad is on the average smarter than a 30year old man in Nigeria. I know there is nothing that you will tell a person in Nigeria right now about the true lifestyle abroad that they would understand, I pray you get a Visa soon so that you can see for yourself. I am planing on relocating back to Niger, I am working on a plan. cheers!

Take note that Oyibo people also fight and act unruly, its just that you cannot join them because it can go into your records if you get arrested and this could affect your visa extension or your stay in the country. So if you see trouble you must stay clear even though nah your trouble them find unless you have permanent residency.

Even with permanent residency, one can still be deported. It's only naturalization that can prevent one from being deported

8 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by signature2012(m): 4:59am On Jan 10, 2017
bigfrancis21:

I had to share this. Nigerians back home NEVER I mean NEVER understand that life abroad is very different from life in Nigeria. Nigeria is still very communal in behavior, here life is very individualistic. Life in america is good but comes at a price. Definitely, Nigerians only want to hear you speak good things about america as if it does not have its bad sides and speaking about it bad sides they think you don't want them to come here. Not at all. It is just letting them know that it's not just the fine things about America they see on TV. There is a bad side to it also, which Hollywood does a great job at hiding. Believe me I've written several posts about this before. Unfortunately, many do not understand until they get here. Those who never make it here will never understand.
There is bad side no doubt,but cant be compared to naija.
I wake up in the morning,I see light,go to work and come back,light still dey.......This alone give me joy.

Drive to the gas station,I see gas buy,either in the day,noon or night........Unlimited happiness.

I go work,get my pay check bi-weekly,no stories,am not been owed for months.....Umlimited joy.

I go school,I know when I will finish my program,nothing like sudden ASUU strike.....am blessed.

Nothin like fulani herdsmen.If any small gbege wan happen,I dial 911,dey go rush come,try that in naija.

I go hospital,am been treated like a king with respect by qualified doctors and nurses,go to Lagos state hospital to see wonders happening there.

America no easy,we still dey send some small money back home.I can convert my $200 to N100,000 via bitcoin and send to famz in naija.

Truly,America no easy at the initial stage,but with time,things will surely get better so as far you obey the laws of the land.Dont do drugs,scam,fight,steal etc.

83 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by imsuboi(m): 5:05am On Jan 10, 2017
Anybody trying to compare life in nigeria with life abroad needs to visit a psychiatrist as soon as possible. That being said, playa0ne (and all the frogs that liked your comment) are _retarded. undecided

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by skitkid2(m): 7:52am On Jan 10, 2017
America has its bad sides,
Nigeria has the worst side(we are stagnant or moving backwards)

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lindaayim(f): 8:30am On Jan 10, 2017
TWoods:

very intelligent post

24 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by olenime(m): 10:01am On Jan 10, 2017
A BRODA keeps complaining about US, yet he came home for Xmas and left before new year!

72 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by NONNYG: 11:24am On Jan 10, 2017
olenime:
A BRODA keeps complaining about US, yet he came home for Xmas and left before new year!
hahahaha, u dey mind amgrin

8 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Originalsly: 11:33am On Jan 10, 2017
NYC...Manhattan. View from FDR Drive... a highway restricted to passenger cars only on the bank of the East River. Bridge... Manhattan Bridge... links Manhattan to Brooklyn. "Orange" building.... a high rise under construction... just keeps going up and up... will resort later to note pace of construction!

18 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Getbizzzy: 11:37am On Jan 10, 2017
bigfrancis21:

All this one na story you dey talk Bros; I want to experience it first than reading it.

Let me witness the bad side of oyibo land.

I'd be fine to live with the bad strangers in far away oyibo land than live with socalled good Nigeria.

Bros come chop ur good Nigeria o!

22 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by kenkels: 11:43am On Jan 10, 2017
Playa0ne:

Its not all fun and happy or jolly as you all think,most of us live with regrets, if only things could be like this back home we often say, because by staying abroad you are making a huge trade-off. The choices are true happiness and belonging or living in a functional alien society. The OP just moved so he is still tripping, with time he would understand that there is more to life than a functional society. Life here is good but it cant be like home. Home is where your social network is, a place where you are accepted, where you dont look different, where you can make noise and even fight if you like, a place were you can compete without having to suffer abuses and deprivation because of your colour, you can NEVER understand what home is till you leave home.
NO PLACE LIKE HOME, this phrase must have been written by a man abroad, because ONLY PEOPLE LIVING ABROAD WOULD TRUELY UNDERSTAND THIS PHRASE!!!!
angry

18 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Teddywhiz1: 12:17pm On Jan 10, 2017
Playa0ne:

I was back home for christmas, I speak with you from Nigeria now. Things are really bad true and I do not dispute tha fact that you can easily get a lot of things here abroad that you lack back home. But I tell you, just like Maslows hierarchy of needs, you would want more than food, shelter and electricity and security with time. The tribal slurs and all what have you in Nigeria is mainly online..its not bad in every day life in Nigeria. Ofenmanu is not a derogatory term, it means people who cook with too much oil...its like saying Oyibo is derogatory...wait to you come abroad, you will be amazed by the number of racist and ignorant white people around. Some hide their scorn and disdain for you and give you a fake smile (they learn that smile in school) but others would call you names it would make you feel really bad. So sister its a give and take thing, its not all green grass anywhere. Most of the people posing for you abroad are trapped, they are too ashamed to come home for fear that they be termed failure by friends and family...the nice Facebook pictures are to deceive you that all is well, most of them do very low jobs that you cant even imagine, because its really difficult to migrate from Nigeria at a later age and out compete kids who grew up in the system, and beat them to really good jobs...a 16year old kid abroad is on the average smarter than a 30year old man in Nigeria. I know there is nothing that you will tell a person in Nigeria right now about the true lifestyle abroad that they would understand, I pray you get a Visa soon so that you can see for yourself. I am planing on relocating back to Niger, I am working on a plan. cheers!

Ok I perfectly understand you, I just want to ask you what is your point of stating all these because to me u are stating the obvious. Are you saying we shouldn't travel abroad for greener pastures? Because if your point is just highlighting the fact that USA has its bad side then I consider it that you are stating an obvious fact. Because u live or lived in USA does not make your personal experience a standing fact! so Go straight to your point please... Thank you

14 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by imsuboi(m): 12:50pm On Jan 10, 2017
MISTAICEY02288:
OP nice one, im really enjoying this. I got my Yankee visa too already. F1 visa (I did students visa to go for masters). The schl is resumin early January and im bookin my flight ticket soon. I would be in Atlanta, Georgia though grin grin

May this turn into a testimony thread IJN!

Getbizzzy:

Abulo, God bless ur hussle nwanne.

I tapped in ya blessings bro and shall update my own soon.

Chupado Ndi Yankee nwa.

bikerboy1:

Amen.

Oluwa, please pick up my call. I want to succeed with my brothers.

stevelaw:
One day,me self go write about US or Canada,i believe,i go work towards am.

nakwe:
I love this, I know I will create a topic like this some day.

Our testimonies are coming

20 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jan 10, 2017
signature2012:

grin grin

Cooking things.....
What are you cooking?
Your pot looks like the one for cooking ewedu. grin

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by ttmacoy: 4:26pm On Jan 10, 2017
Nice write-up.

I guess home will mean different things to different people and as long as we are all happy where we are there shouldn't be any need for arguing on nairaland.

The OP is happy where he is and posting about his new life there, If Playa0ne feels so inclined e can easily open a thread about his next trip to Nigeria.

Even if Nigeria becomes the best country in the world tomorrow, people will still move abroad. Americans, Britons, Canadians, Australians, Chinese, Singaporeans etc. all move and live all over the place so migration will always be a constant. People will move for various reasons, love, family, work, opportunities etc. No matter how good a country can be, there will be people there who don't like it and prefer to live in another country and that's fine. As long as you are doing what you want and are happy.

TWoods:

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jan 10, 2017
This beautiful has been polluted by needless arguments.
I was really enjoying the pictures. Let us try to steer clear
off these banter jare...

8 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 6:14pm On Jan 10, 2017
So, one of my good friends just received a lengthy ban. He sent me a screenshot. You guys should see for yourself.

8 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jan 10, 2017
Anyone watching the senate confirmation hearings?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 6:18pm On Jan 10, 2017
Isn't it just funny how much seun and his mods are trying to forcibly step on a peoples right to self determination? And someone would have the guts to come here and talk about tribalism not being an issue in nigeria, that its "mere banter", its only online.

I am disappointed, really.

26 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by nk(f): 6:31pm On Jan 10, 2017
Senorita123:

I quite agree with you bro but kindly permit me to list some points. Maybe u left your 'home' (Nigeria) a long time ago, things have changed here too, truly I don't suffer abuses and deprivation because of my color here but I suffer abuses and deprivation because I am ofe mmanu.. Chukwudi still refers to my people as Afonjas, Bola still called Emeka a flat head on nairaland, Ayo still called Malam Audu a gambari... Everywhere is full of tribal wars. What more abuse and deprivation is worse than a nation divided against herself? number two, I don't care if I look different anywhere, variety is the spice of life as long as I didn't drop my self esteem at 'home'. Lest I forget to remind you, Competition is no longer the order of the day here, connection is. Even if u come first in the competition, who do you know. CONNECT OR DIE!!!!! Those r d only two options remaining at home baba... A jobless graduate still threatened to commit suicide in d job/ vacancies section dis week... On a final note, I think I will prefer a place where fighting is prohibited cos I dread SCARS!!!!! grin

You are so on point dear. God bless you jare.

3 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by austino677(m): 7:33pm On Jan 10, 2017
FrankNetter:
Isn't it just funny how much seun and his mods are trying to forcibly step on a peoples right to self determination? And someone would have the guts to come here and talk about tribalism not being an issue in nigeria, that its "mere banter", its only online.

I am disappointed, really.
no mind them once they see biafra na ban.. . But if na afonjas and flat head post na likes u go see sad undecided well that won't stop the fun.. . Random pictures continues biko grin

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (220) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Canada / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.