Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,777 members, 7,820,716 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:08 PM

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. - Travel (184) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (684223 Views)

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) ... (220) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Lhimeet(m): 12:17am On Aug 20, 2018
FrankNetter:
How's everybody doing?
smiley
Fine as usual Bro..

I trust you're good as well
smiley
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 12:21am On Aug 20, 2018
There’s a reason I generally avoid this online bickering and throwing shade, it’s pointless. Earlier on, when I started this thread, some persons put a lot of effort into derailing the thread, it didn’t work then, it won’t work now. All these “I’m right, you’re wrong” posts no dey help anybody. Live and let live, abeg.

35 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 12:22am On Aug 20, 2018
Lhimeet:

Fine as usual Bro..

I trust you're good as well
smiley

Managing life cheesy
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Lhimeet(m): 12:29am On Aug 20, 2018
FrankNetter:

Managing life cheesy
If you're managing life over there shocked

Then I'm barely living here..
cry

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 12:35am On Aug 20, 2018
adrenaline02:
Franknetter how are doing? quite some time... best wishes bro!

Thanks bro. Wish you all the best too

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 12:38am On Aug 20, 2018
Yesterday, I took my younger bro out to one Chinese restaurant. After sitting down, we were handed the menu to order what we would like to eat, I was feeling in the mood to try something new, so I ordered something called Peppered beef.

Mind you, I had in mind that the peppered beef would be identical to the peppered beef we have in Nigeria, you know? Like meat that they fried with plenty pepper. grin

Only for the food to come and look what I got!

They used only green pepper to make some kind of sauce, and threw meat inside it. I took one spoon and almost threw up, it was awful! I asked to speak to the manager (who was a Chinese lady and her English wasn’t too good). She told me that’s what I ordered and there’s nothing they can do, so I had to take my L In Peace cry. I basically threw away $13.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Burger01(m): 1:06am On Aug 20, 2018
^^^

Lol. Chinese food na nonsense. I had some Chinese meals in New York, believe me, I threw everything away...tasted more like sugarcane. No food is spicy here. I cook my spicy food at home with real naija ata gungun or some red pepper you get from stores like 'Compare'. smiley

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 1:31am On Aug 20, 2018
Burger01:
^^^

Lol. Chinese food na nonsense. I had some Chinese meals in New York, believe me, I threw everything away...tasted more like sugarcane. No food is spicy here. I cook my spicy food at home with real naija ata gungun or some red pepper you get from stores like 'Compare'. smiley

Yeah bro, but that won’t deter me from trying out new foods though. Someone told me to try out one Pakistan food place in Chicago, I go check am out give una update

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Burger01(m): 3:43am On Aug 20, 2018
^^^

Be wary of what you eat out there. I don't like American culinary. I was served half cooked beef the other day, I shouted kileleyi? cheesy Come see blood on my dish. I told the guy, ogbeni, give me well cooked beef...I mean 'thoroughly cooked' beef. He said the beef would die. I was like egbami ke, the beef no go die before? grin

48 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by rinzaugustine: 3:47am On Aug 20, 2018
FrankNetter:

Yeah bro, but that won’t deter me from trying out new foods though. Someone told me to try out one Pakistan food place in Chicago, I go check am out give una update
Try a Thailand restaurant especially that their fish soup menu and come back here and thank me.Cheap too..less than $15

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by rinzaugustine: 4:12am On Aug 20, 2018
FrankNetter:
The area I work is equipped with "docking areas" where the trailers latch unto. They are numbered bay 1, bay 2, bay 3 etc.. Each bay has a laser scanner and a little rectangular metal object.

Each package has a shipping label which shows the destination, address, weight and shipping details of the buyer and seller. When the package is unloaded, they are put on the central conveyor belt which brings the packages to the outbound area. Each package is scanned by the laser scanner which then hits it into the corresponding trailer. So for an item going to Kentucky, after it is scanned, the rectangular metal object hits it into the trailer programmed for kentucky, then you grab it and "load" it. The job is incredibly fast-paced and tiresome. UPS ships packages of a shapes and sizes, so once it comes into your trailer, you quickly look at the shipping label to ascertain it's the right destination, then you load it into the "wall".

Some packages are super heavy (70 pounds and above) some are light. No matter how heavy, you don’t discriminate, load it and complain later.
Like I said, the job is hard for me and I’ve lost 15 pounds already but on the plus side, I’m building some muscles.

From the first day I started, I begun asking questions about the “earn and learn” program which was the reason I got the job in the first place. I was told what to go online, to a website and fill out some forms after which I’d be given a voucher to present at my school which would cover my tuition. Mind you, I had already paid half of my tuition (around $1,500) cos I didn’t want to miss out and have to wait for the spring semester (January 2019).

I found out that UPS has a tuition payment program on its own, but there’s a sweeter deal: a program called CRCP (Chicago region college program). If you sign up with them, you would get your tuition paid in full and extra $400 every month.
Be careful of the CRCP as trump has made an executive order forbidding green card holders from assessing any benefit meant for citizens.If you do they will not naturalize you when the time comes.Please research well on what I just stated before making your move

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 5:54am On Aug 20, 2018
rinzaugustine:
Be careful of the CRCP as trump has made an executive order forbidding green card holders from assessing any benefit meant for citizens.If you do they will not naturalize you when the time comes.Please research well on what I just stated before making your move

Can you post a link to your source?

Thanks

5 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 6:18am On Aug 20, 2018

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by paroh137(m): 8:39am On Aug 20, 2018
Backfornow:

Even so, please stop fighting.
I know that it isnt really about derailing, its that they just want to hear from Frank.
So..let them have it.

Please I have some questions. Are you married Do you need a baby asap Can you handle enjoyment that can kill

I only ask cos you seem like you have sense, like real, correct sense. Forget say I no too get money now but I dey make the right moves, and I go like know you better.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by paroh137(m): 8:40am On Aug 20, 2018
FrankNetter:

Thanks

Oga nawa o. You go just leave us for weeks at a time go dey gallivant. You no sabi say winter dey come No vex me o
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by revontuli(f): 2:40pm On Aug 20, 2018
gbope:
Wow!!!It's been quite a journey from reading this thread from the first to the last page. It would have been ingratitude for me not to comment on it. I can safely say that this is my most informative thread so far . I've not always considered abroad an option. But as from today, I have a new goal- To leave Nigeria at all cost( legally) . Following this 167pages has reinforced my desire so much that not even 100 million naira will make me change my mind . Its set In concrete. I have a desire to be a part of a working system. I have never experienced 3 days of uninterrupted of electricity in my 3 decades of life. Is that life? . I salute everyone that got this wonderful thread to where it is . Franknetter, Revontuli, Twoods ,Bossmann and others, I hail o. I must also admit I've learnt from Kroger in these last few pages and he's someone I would like to pick his brains. Nairaland will never die. 1:53am August 8th, Lagos Nigeria. Love you all.

Good to hear from you mate!

I have experienced electricity interruptions when I lived in California (energy crisis in early 2000's) and Texas (grid failures) but they didn't last more than 20-30 min. Water was never a problem, never any interruptions.

America is great if you are young and energetic, and if you are entrpreneurial. It's horrible if you have chronic illness, disabilities, introverted personality. Exorbitant healthcare costs are a problem if you don't have heth insurance, crappy health insurance and when you are in between jobs. It's definitely paradise if you want to start a business, the system favors businesses and business owners, not the salaried people.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Burger01(m): 4:07pm On Aug 20, 2018
^^^
Having a business in America is good. Six years of hard work, hard savings, hard determination, hard focus, landed me a business, healthcare IT staffing business. You can't imagine what I rake in per day. There are some sweet European countries good for business (Sweden, Norway, Germany...) , language barrier is a thorn in the flesh here.

Don't waste time in America, do what you gat to do while the sun shines, have plans, have focus. Many things can derail one's life here. Life is good here, plenty babes, plenty attractions, access to loans, cars, mortgages et al. Some peeps would work a $10/hr job for years with no determination or plans to go to school, online studies.... C'mon, do not get stuck on a life like that. Make plans and make the moves then you good.. smiley

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Dremca(m): 4:18pm On Aug 20, 2018
Hi, your insights will be much appreciated in this new US thread. https://www.nairaland.com/4678706/american-us-based-us-aspirant/7#4678706.249
revontuli:

Good to hear from you mate!

I have experienced electricity interruptions when I lived in California (energy crisis in early 2000's) and Texas (grid failures) but they didn't last more than 20-30 min. Water was never a problem, never any interruptions.

America is great if you are young and energetic, and if you are entrpreneurial. It's horrible if you have chronic illness, disabilities, introverted personality. Exorbitant healthcare costs are a problem if you don't have heth insurance, crappy health insurance and when you are in between jobs. It's definitely paradise if you want to start a business, the system favors businesses and business owners, not the salaried people.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by seyewest(m): 4:29pm On Aug 20, 2018
FrankNetter:
There’s a reason I generally avoid this online bickering and throwing shade, it’s pointless. Earlier on, when I started this thread, some persons put a lot of effort into derailing the thread, it didn’t work then, it won’t work now. All these “I’m right, you’re wrong” posts no dey help anybody. Live and let live, abeg.

When you're big you're big.... Maturity is what we need sometimes.

5 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 4:42pm On Aug 20, 2018
God bless y'all for your contributions... Frank na SUYA you dey call pepper beef? Them done format your tongue finish oooo...
Me done dey format my tongue for Naija already

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by kroger: 6:35pm On Aug 20, 2018
Burger01:
^^^
Having a business in America is good. Six years of hard work, hard savings, hard determination, hard focus, landed me a business, healthcare IT staffing business. You can't imagine what I rake in per day. There are some sweet European countries good for business (Sweden, Norway, Germany...) , language barrier is a thorn in the flesh here.

Don't waste time in America, do what you gat to do while the sun shines, have plans, have focus. Many things can derail one's life here. Life is good here, plenty babes, plenty attractions, access to loans, cars, mortgages et al. Some peeps would work a $10/hr job for years with no determination or plans to go to school, online studies.... C'mon, do not get stuck on a life like that. Make plans and make the moves then you good.. smiley

Good job bro, health care staffing is very common among Africans, i am thinking of starting a Used Tire shop pretty soon its also a spinning money business, am still doing a feasibility report. Where i change my tires the owner has about 20 of those shops all around Atl making good money..

You are right about the many distractions, i was once distracted a while ago and i had to slap myself back to reality grin.. Where do u reside?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by kroger: 6:37pm On Aug 20, 2018
FrankNetter:
Yesterday, I took my younger bro out to one Chinese restaurant. After sitting down, we were handed the menu to order what we would like to eat, I was feeling in the mood to try something new, so I ordered something called Peppered beef.

Mind you, I had in mind that the peppered beef would be identical to the peppered beef we have in Nigeria, you know? Like meat that they fried with plenty pepper. grin

Only for the food to come and look what I got!

They used only green pepper to make some kind of sauce, and threw meat inside it. I took one spoon and almost threw up, it was awful! I asked to speak to the manager (who was a Chinese lady and her English wasn’t too good). She told me that’s what I ordered and there’s nothing they can do, so I had to take my L In Peace cry. I basically threw away $13.

Trust me i don fall mugu once with their kind of Chinese food, u lucky u weren't served lizard cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Burger01(m): 6:48pm On Aug 20, 2018
kroger:

Good job bro, health care staffing is very common among Africans, i am thinking of starting a Used Tire shop pretty soon its also a spinning money business, am still doing a feasibility report. Where i change my tires the owner has about 20 of those shops all around Atl making good money..

You are right about the many distractions, i was once distracted a while ago and i had to slap myself back to reality grin.. Where do u reside?
Yeah, I was once like that, I had to bone distractions , sat for my certification exams, worked some years then started my business. I dey Massachusetts, the spirit of America cheesy

Btw, tire business is very good. Thumb up there for that plan, dont lose focus! smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Dremca(m): 6:52pm On Aug 20, 2018
Hope is not Amadioha grin
Burger01:
Yeah, I was once like that, I had to bone distractions , sat for my certification exams, worked some years then started my business. I dey Massachusetts, the spirit of America cheesy

Btw, tire business is very good. Thumb up there for that plan, dont lose focus! smiley

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Burger01(m): 6:53pm On Aug 20, 2018
^^^
What's Amadioha
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Ugosample(m): 8:54pm On Aug 20, 2018
Burger01:
^^^

You can't call food from another culture "nonsense"

It's rude distasteful and wrong

You are not accustomed to the food (like most black folks)

that does not mean the food is rubbish

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by twittycutey(f): 9:21pm On Aug 20, 2018
Holocene:

From experience, you could use your credits to start afresh for a BSN. They may consider your courses in Antony and physiology if it was from a standard univeristy
thanks a lot for your response. I really appreciate.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by tintedniggz(m): 10:27pm On Aug 20, 2018
Burger01:
^^^

Be wary of what you eat out there. I don't like American culinary. I was served half cooked beef the other day, I shouted kileleyi? cheesy Come see blood on my dish. I told the guy, ogbeni, give me well cooked beef...I mean 'thoroughly cooked' beef. He said the beef would die. I was like egbami ke, the beef no go die before? grin
I don laff tire for my chair cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by kroger: 10:42pm On Aug 20, 2018
Burger01:

That's good to know, in America you need to learn a skill or else one will keep jumping from one warehouse job to another..

I am currently teaching individuals on cyber security and assist them in getting their certification and get a meaningful job. I am in Atlanta the new NYC of America.. smiley

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by rinzaugustine: 11:18pm On Aug 20, 2018
FrankNetter:

Thanks
Unfortunately I don't know how to do copy paste but its an information that is available to everybody through google.Millions of new immigrants have already been disenfranchised from the 2020 elections by this government without their knowledge because instead of reading information that will benefit their lives in their new country they are on Instagram, Facebook etc wasting their time.This applies to mostly new immigrants in their 20s and below
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Burger01(m): 11:33pm On Aug 20, 2018
Ugosample:

You can't call food from another culture "nonsense"

It's rude distasteful and wrong

You are not accustomed to the food (like most black folks)

that does not mean the food is rubbish
Don't misunderstand me. Their food is good for them but not for me...likewise our food can't be good for them. 'Nonsense' in this context is just a personal expression smiley

3 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Burger01(m): 11:37pm On Aug 20, 2018
kroger:

That's good to know, in America you need to learn a skill or else one will keep jumping from one warehouse job to another..

I am currently teaching individuals on cyber security and assist them in getting their certification and get a meaningful job. I am in Atlanta the new NYC of America.. smiley
You are doing good buddy. Introduce your guys to any of AHIMA certifications. It enables entry level helthcare professional certification. Go through their website at ahima.org..

2 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) ... (220) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Canada / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.