Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,035 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:07 AM

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. - Travel (183) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (684448 Views)

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (180) (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) (186) ... (220) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nig4Greatness: 5:23pm On Aug 17, 2018
fighal:
You don't get it man .. This ain't the first time this thread is left unattended to, and each time he comes back to update this thread the followers cheers and gives him some accolades.
Frank has other priorities, same as those following this thread. The fuss ain't about updating the thread or not, it's about FOCUS..
You don't discuss movies in an abandoned sports thread because you want to keep it alive.. Think about it..
You are making it seem like people's lives depends on the thread, NO. A lot of persons here has other things more important than the thread...
THIS THREAD IS SEEN AS A MIRROR, WHICH WHEN VIEWED COULD SHOW YANKEE FROM THE PERSPECTIVES OF A COMMON NIGERIAN... Understand this....
Take The Russia thread for example, how often those the OP post? but checkout the engagement when He does...
One or 2 questions are allowed, but hijacking the thread?? Thats a no..
Please come off this thing,there's nothing like a mirror or a village eyes here,
The OP is an American who exist as an American and that's the perspective he's posting from.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nig4Greatness: 5:25pm On Aug 17, 2018
roniex2:
FrankNetter is not coming online anymore. He might be so busy with some other things.
This thread will be dead soon if we ban other people from posting.
My own idea is that America-based Nigerians should come online and tell us how they got there, show us pictures and gist us on their day to day activities.
They shouldn't come here and argue about what we that are not there yet won't be able to put mouth. Trust me it's not so nice.
Cc babyvet Nig4greatness
Those with questions get answers..
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 5:25pm On Aug 17, 2018
Nig4Greatness:
Please come off this thing,there's nothing like a mirror or a village eyes here,
The OP is an American who exist as an American and that's the perspective he's posting from.

Okay
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 5:28pm On Aug 17, 2018
Nig4Greatness:

Op is a naija boy who got his papers, he is living in america. he is not American, we are reading about his life in america.

7 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nig4Greatness: 5:44pm On Aug 17, 2018
TMaddox:

Op is a naija boy who got his papers, he is living in america. he is not American, we are reading about his life in america.

He is a ninja boy as you said so are others you are attacking.they all live their lifes in America

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by SirVintageCock: 6:39am On Aug 18, 2018
Nig4Greatness:

He is a ninja boy as you said so are others you are attacking.they all live their lifes in America
He is not a "ninja" boy. A full blooded naija boy who left this hellhole and promise an update on what he saw. He delivers with the likes of others....even born and bred Americans contributed without being condescending like what we are seeing here
Nig4Greatness:

American kwa? grin where did you start reading?

6 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 9:27pm On Aug 18, 2018
FrankNetter:
My placement test scores were more than enough for me to get into the Nursing program. So i booked an appointment with a course advisor and drove down to the school to speak with one. I registered for 4 classes with a total of 13 credit hours.
Pre-registering for the classes was a good idea for me because towards the beginning of the term, the classes tend to get filled up and once the maximum has reached, you would not be accepted for that class (even if you be Dangote pikin).
A deadline date for payment of tuition (or part of it) was given to me. As the date approached, you have to pay or you would be dropped from those classes and have to scramble for the next available ones or you'd be frozen out.

These are the classes I registered for, along with the tuition fees.

As you can see in the photos, the “residency status” shows: in district. That’s the reason the fees are much lower. For an international student, the fees would not be the same

So, as I stated earlier, the reason I put my resignation at my CNA job was that I heard UPS (united parcel services) has a cool program where they cover your tuition fees in exchange for you working for them, the program is called "earn & learn". I filled out the application, online, the hiring process was identical to the one I went through at Amazon. I got the job.

The UPS facility I work at is called CACH which stands for Chicago Area Consolidation Hub. Its HUGE, for comparison, it's much bigger than MMA1 & MMA2 put together. Any UPS package that comes to Illinois or any state around, must come here first. The packages arrive in trailers, we unload, sort and load them according to their various destinations. In a day, we process more than 3million packages. If you have some data to spare, check out this short video on vimeo https://vimeo.com/194397590

The job is hard. Harder than anything I've done in my life.

At my first week at the job, we underwent training. I got hired on a Monday along with 15 other persons (12 guys and 3 ladies). Prior to that, we were adviced to come to work with work boots with high backs and non-slip soles. I quickly looked for a second-hand timberland boots on ebay and got a pair for around $20. My first day on the job, we were ushered into a classroom of sorts and "welcomed" to the UPS family by some persons high up in management. Our trainers were two ladies, one black and one hispanic. The first two days consisted of us watching videos of the do's and dont's of the facility. How to stack boxes in the trailer, how to avoid hurting yourself when working etc etc.

The third day, we were split into groups: Loaders, Unloaders and Small sorts. *Loaders load the trailers, unloaders unload trailers and small sorts handle the small packages which could be crushed by the bigger packges if not handled correctly. I was picked to be a loader by a process which I don't know.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Dremca(m): 9:40pm On Aug 18, 2018
What happens after you complete the duration of your job that's equivalent to your school fees, if you continue working after the, will you now be receiving salary or how is it done.
FrankNetter:

So, as I stated earlier, the reason I put my resignation at my CNA job was that I heard UPS (united parcel services) has a cool program where they cover your tuition fees in exchange for you working for them, the program is called "earn & learn". I filled out the application, online, the hiring process was identical to the one I went through at Amazon. I got the job.

The UPS facility I work at is called CACH which stands for Chicago Area Consolidation Hub. Its HUGE, for comparison, it's much bigger than MMA1 & MMA2 put together. In a day, we process more than 3million packages. If you have some data to spare, check out this short video on vimeo https://vimeo.com/194397590

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 9:42pm On Aug 18, 2018
Dremca:
What happens after you complete the duration of your job that's equivalent to your school fees, if you continue working after the, will you now be receiving salary or how is it done.

Every UPS employee has a $25,000 free tuition grant. Once you get employed, you tap from it and go to school to any level that can cover the $25,000. The tuition money doesn’t affect your normal wages.

The CRCP program I’m under is a different ball game, they give you $400 every month and extra “bonuses” when you get good grades.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 9:45pm On Aug 18, 2018
On the third day, we each got assigned to one trainer per person. This was a "hands-on" training. The lady who was my trainer was a petite white lady whom I shall call Karen for the duration of this update. She said she had been with UPS for more than 15 years (I raised my eyebrows when she said that, 'cos I couldn't see any reason why someone would pick a job this hard.

Karen is/was a nice lady and I couldn't have asked for a better trainer, for someone else who had an answer to my numerous questions about this place which I found myself. By nature, I'm a curious person and she seemed to understand that and almost always had an answer to my questions, for the ones she didn't have an answer to, she pointed me in the right direction, she seemed like a bottomless pit of knowledge.

So on the third day at work, I was led to my workspace by Karen, to a place they call the "outbound" cos that's where the trailers are loaded with the packages heading to various destinations. Over the next week, I was taught how to build a "wall" with the packages, to stack them up high to the ceiling leaving no gaps in between, I was taught how to properly handle packages "the UPS way", to put the bigger, heavier packages at the bottom of the wall and the smaller, lighter packages up top, I was taught a lot.
For each day we come in, we would be assigned a trailer or two (depending on how fast the packages are coming).

**chill I'm making an illustration on how it works

Take a look at this photo

**bear with me, phones are not allowed into the facility

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by adrenaline02: 9:58pm On Aug 18, 2018
Franknetter how are doing? quite some time... best wishes bro!

5 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 10:27pm On Aug 18, 2018
The area I work is equipped with "docking areas" where the trailers latch unto. They are numbered bay 1, bay 2, bay 3 etc.. Each bay has a laser scanner and a little rectangular metal object.

Each package has a shipping label which shows the destination, address, weight and shipping details of the buyer and seller. When the package is unloaded, they are put on the central conveyor belt which brings the packages to the outbound area. Each package is scanned by the laser scanner which then hits it into the corresponding trailer. So for an item going to Kentucky, after it is scanned, the rectangular metal object hits it into the trailer programmed for kentucky, then you grab it and "load" it. The job is incredibly fast-paced and tiresome. UPS ships packages of a shapes and sizes, so once it comes into your trailer, you quickly look at the shipping label to ascertain it's the right destination, then you load it into the "wall".

Some packages are super heavy (70 pounds and above) some are light. No matter how heavy, you don’t discriminate, load it and complain later.
Like I said, the job is hard for me and I’ve lost 15 pounds already but on the plus side, I’m building some muscles.

From the first day I started, I begun asking questions about the “earn and learn” program which was the reason I got the job in the first place. I was told what to go online, to a website and fill out some forms after which I’d be given a voucher to present at my school which would cover my tuition. Mind you, I had already paid half of my tuition (around $1,500) cos I didn’t want to miss out and have to wait for the spring semester (January 2019).

I found out that UPS has a tuition payment program on its own, but there’s a sweeter deal: a program called CRCP (Chicago region college program). If you sign up with them, you would get your tuition paid in full and extra $400 every month.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Holocene(m): 10:45pm On Aug 18, 2018
FrankNetter:
The area I work is equipped with "docking areas" where the trailers latch unto. They are numbered bay 1, bay 2, bay 3 etc.. Each bay has a laser scanner and a little rectangular metal object.

Each package has a shipping label which shows the destination, address, weight and shipping details of the buyer and seller. When the package is unloaded, they are put on the central conveyor belt which brings the packages to the outbound area. Each package is scanned by the laser scanner which then hits it into the corresponding trailer. So for an item going to Kentucky, after it is scanned, the rectangular metal object hits it into the trailer programmed for kentucky, then you grab it and "load" it. The job is incredibly fast-paced and tiresome. UPS ships packages of a shapes and sizes, so once it comes into your trailer, you quickly look at the shipping label to ascertain it's the right destination, then you load it into the "wall".

Some packages are super heavy (70 pounds and above) some are light. No matter how heavy, you don’t discriminate, load it and complain later.
Like I said, the job is hard for me and I’ve lost 15 pounds already but on the plus side, I’m building some muscles.

From the first day I started, I begun asking questions about the “earn and learn” program which was the reason I got the job in the first place. I was told what to go online, to a website and fill out some forms after which I’d be given a voucher to present at my school which would cover my tuition. Mind you, I had already paid half of my tuition (around $1,500) cos I didn’t want to miss out and have to wait for the spring semester (January 2019).

I found out that UPS has a tuition payment program on its own, but there’s a sweeter deal: a program called CRCP (Chicago region college program). If you sign up with them, you would get your tuition paid in full and extra $400 every month.

Why ain't you tapping the advantage of using a student loan to pay your fees. You might be qualified for a Pell Grant since you don't have a degree already. Look into it and see if it helps.
Nursing school ain't as easy as it seems especially with care plans and clinicals grin grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 11:17pm On Aug 18, 2018
Holocene:

Why ain't you tapping the advantage of using a student loan to pay your fees. You might be qualified for a Pell Grant since you don't have a degree already. Look into it and see if it helps.
Nursing school ain't as easy as it seems especially with care plans and clinicals grin grin grin grin

Enlighten me, why should I take student loans for this program?

11 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Laird(m): 11:33pm On Aug 18, 2018
http://fortune.com/2018/08/15/highest-paying-jobs-in-the-us/?utm_source=quora&utm_medium=referral

Source; Fortune Magazine USA

JOBS
These Are the 25 Highest-Paying Jobs in the U.S. Right Now

Physician: $195,842
Pharmacy manager: $146,412
Pharmacist: $127,120
Enterprise architect: $115,944
Corporate counsel: $115,580
Software development manager: $108,879
Physician assistant: $108,761
Software engineering manager: $107,479
Nurse practitioner: $106,962
Software architect: $105,329
Engineering manager: $105,260
Applications development manager: $104,048
Plant manager: $103,892
IT program manager: $102,969
Solutions architect: $102,160
Financial planning and analysis manager: $102,155
Data architect: $101,900
Strategy manager: $101,754
Systems architect: $100,984
Scrum master: $98,239
Consulting manager: $97,154
Attorney: $96,678
Cloud engineer: $96,449
Tax manager: $96,175
Data scientist: $96,116
“Technology and health care are the two industries that are making the greatest impact on the economy,” said Sarah Stoddard, a community expert at Glassdoor. “There’s a high demand but short supply for those roles, driving up salaries.”

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Laird(m): 11:34pm On Aug 18, 2018
For Legal USA american Green card holders and citizens with valid USA American qualifications

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Holocene(m): 12:01am On Aug 19, 2018
FrankNetter:

When you apply on FAFSA, which is like the government assisted program for educational loans, you may get up to 5k grant which does not need to be paid back after graduation.

https://www2.ed.gov/programs/fpg/eligibility.html

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Holocene(m): 12:03am On Aug 19, 2018
FrankNetter:

What's your total fees for the Fall Section?

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 6:58am On Aug 19, 2018
Babyvet:

But where is the op though? If not for the irrevalant posts , this thread would be dead.

Where's that person that said the thread would be dead?? Lol.

Busy body people.

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 7:11am On Aug 19, 2018
FrankNetter:

The job is hard. Harder than anything I've done in my life.

I quickly looked for a second-hand timberland boots on ebay and got a pair for around $20.

This is the reason why alot of people choose to follow this thread.

Not because of the "my friend earns $124k plus side hustle crew"

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Hueyreckless0007: 7:14am On Aug 19, 2018
CoolDipper:

Not because of the my friend earns $124k plus side hustle crew"
Deep

6 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by SirVintageCock: 11:36am On Aug 19, 2018
CoolDipper:

Not because of the my friend earns $124k plus side hustle crew"
You hit it deep. Dude is real with real stories of everyday life that is highly relatable. If he start yarning $124k stuff at this early stage then guys will port to b!owjob's thread.

7 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by twittycutey(f): 12:50pm On Aug 19, 2018
Hello,Frank netters. Been following your thread for a while now. You are such a good writer and your experiences are on point.
I finished with a bachelors degree in human anatomy 4.09 and I would like to study nursing in the US. My question is can I directly do masters in nursing or do I have to do prenursing or bachelor in nursing again as an international student
Would really appreciate if u can guide me. And am sorry if I am derailing thread . Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Holocene(m): 3:56pm On Aug 19, 2018
twittycutey:
Hello,Frank netters. Been following your thread for a while now. You are such a good writer and your experiences are on point.
I finished with a bachelors degree in human anatomy 4.09 and I would like to study nursing in the US. My question is can I directly do masters in nursing or do I have to do prenursing or bachelor in nursing again as an international student
Would really appreciate if u can guide me. And am sorry if I am derailing thread . Thanks.
From experience, you could use your credits to start afresh for a BSN. They may consider your courses in Antony and physiology if it was from a standard univeristy
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Homguy(m): 5:14pm On Aug 19, 2018
SirVintageCock:
He is not a "ninja" boy. A full blooded naija boy who left this hellhole and promise an update on what he saw. He delivers with the likes of others....even born and bred Americans contributed without being condescending like what we are seeing here American kwa? grin where did you start reading?
This here is the real ish! I have noticed a chunk of posters based over there sounding really condescending. Even the Op has been friendly and informative without denigrating anyone.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Homguy(m): 5:27pm On Aug 19, 2018
Nig4Greatness:

This is an example of cultural problem we have in our country,the only way things are acceptable to us is when done our way.

Hey guys. Following our successful visa interview, I want to inform the nairaland family that I and my siblings have finally touched down in chicago. We would be calling this place home for now.

Im so happy to have fled nigeria grin grin

Tips on how to survive the cold? Where to shop? etc would be welcome.
[i][/i]..

the boded above is the introduction line from the op when he opened the thread,he has talked about things like...

...his personal and that of his family life.
...His many admirers he left behind back home.
...the erratic behaviors of his co workers.
...his work experiences/relationships with his clients.
...many highways and traffic rules.
...how many girls he's involved with.
...his present job versus his future job(s).
...his educational goals and career choice.
...vehicles and cost of maintenance.
...His choice of foods,hobbies and many more.

Now,tell me how those things mentioned above related to you living in Nigeria?.what kind of important info that would affect your life do you expect to get from these stuffs?.
I think you and your likes are the one derailing this thread with your selfish expectations and vetting all posts here is disrespectful to say the least because its obvious the thread was not created for you and your likes,you are just to observe and not to claim one stupid entitlement you don't merit.There are other threads that may appeal to your expectations especially the one below,you may follow the thread cos it seems the op was actually talking to folks like you in Nigeria.
https://www.nairaland.com/4462513/life-abroad-worth-stress-hype
You dont make posts like this and expect not to get backlashs! This is one of those types of posts that has been absent before.
Its divisive at best!

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 10:08pm On Aug 19, 2018
Holocene:

What's your total fees for the Fall Section?

Around $3000. On a normal, if I hustle, I can pay my tuition from my pocket. I don’t see any reason to take loans for my education at this level, if I apply and get financial aid (full tuition coverage) that would be wonderful, but for now, I’m not taking any loans to pay back with interest later.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Dremca(m): 10:13pm On Aug 19, 2018
@Franknetter, please help me answer this
Dremca:
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 10:34pm On Aug 19, 2018
Like I said, I applied for the UPS program to help pay my tuition. After like two hours, it was approved. I was sent a link via email where I printed out a “voucher” which I took to the school. Gbam! Tuition paid for the semester.

The major downside to this job is that it’s physically demanding to the fullest and we’re getting paid a meager $10.35/hr. To get people to come to work, they give out a $125 bonus if you show up for the 5 days of the week: (we work Monday-Fridays weekends and holidays off).

Another challenge I faced was that this job is 35-40 minutes away from my house and along my daily commute/route, I need to pay 3 tolls going to work, 3 tolls heading back home everyday, 5 days a week. Including buying gas, I was burning my meager earnings real fast and it was giving me headache.

I asked around and discovered UPS has a partnership with Pace ( a bus company), they ply a route close to my house and they offer free transportation to my work place once you show them your UPS ID card. That’s what I use to go to work everyday now, so I take the free bus to and from work, this solved a huge problem for me. On my daily commute, I normally listen to music and read a novel.

My weekly paychecks are back to my Burger King days (around $200/week). But I’ll live..

** this is what the voucher looks like

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 10:39pm On Aug 19, 2018
Dremca:
@Franknetter, please help me answer this

Scroll up bro. I’ve answered your question
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 10:46pm On Aug 19, 2018
How's everybody doing?
smiley

10 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Lhimeet(m): 12:16am On Aug 20, 2018
A lot of argument and hullabaloo on this thread angry

(1) (2) (3) ... (180) (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) (186) ... (220) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Canada / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.