Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,434 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:34 AM

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. - Travel (189) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (682369 Views)

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (186) (187) (188) (189) (190) (191) (192) ... (220) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Dremca(m): 8:26pm On Sep 09, 2018
Just imagine, becoming a manager with just o'level certificate whereas in Nigeria that can't be possible if one doesn't have an MBA. This shows that experience and integrity matters more than one's certificate in the US.
FrankNetter:
I recently went to one Burger King (at Matteson) to get some food and I ran into an old time manager who I worked with a few times. When I used to work at Burger King (at Chicago heights), she wasn’t traditionally working there too but she got transferred there a few times when we were short on managers. So they would call her to work a particular shift for that day.

When I walked into the store she was excited to see me, I was shocked and surprised. This lady is older than I am, so I was wondering what the ruckus was about. She then asked me if I’ve got some time to spare that she needs to talk to me. I only came to get a chocolate milkshake but I told her I got a few minutes. Long story short, she told me she was being transferred to “my store” (at Chicago heights) to work permanently as the general manager and that she would like me to come work for her as a shift manager grin.

I was excited at first but I didn’t give her an answer. I told her we would speak on the phone. She gave me her number.

After a few days, I called her and after the regular formalities, I asked her what the pay rate would be, she said $11.50/hour when I start, then $12/hour after 30 days. I tried to bargain with her to increase it, citing my reliability and work ethic. She refused to succumb. I then told her to give a few more days to think about it. But I never called her back.

I don’t think it’s a good deal cos when I used to work there,the managers at suffer a lot. If someone doesn’t show up to work, you have to help out fill in the space, if food or money gets missing, na you dem go hold, if a customer wants to be rude, na you dem go insult.

The major thing that made me reject the offer was the pay. I could waltz into any nursing home or hospital to work as a CNA (I’m still a Certified nursing assistant, remember?) and start getting paid $13/hour for much less work but to pay someone $11.50/hour for the workload at Burger King is unfair. Maybe that’s the reason they are short on managers

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by dustydee: 6:54am On Sep 10, 2018
1Rebel:

Bro, I’m sure Op is making his comparison between public universities in Nigeria and America, nowhere in his posts did he state that he’s comparing private to private, which even if he did, there would be no comparison anyway cos private schools in USA would beat Nigerian private schools hands down.

And yeah, Nigeria would keep moving backwards as far as we keep voting these Neanderthal goats to be our leaders.

For these upcoming elections, it’s either between Moghalu or Sowore (or someone new entirely)

Fvck Atiku, fvck Buhari, fvck kwankwaso

The fact that you mentioned Sowore proves your point that "Nigeria would keep moving backward . . ." It just clearly shows that we are not ready to vote for competent and capable hands. Mentioning Sowore and Moghalu in the same sentence , as you have done, is sad.

8 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by olasmiles: 1:20pm On Sep 10, 2018
ebimarian:

Hello boss,pls check your inbox, I have a question for u,pls check..tks

Hello.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by adrenaline02: 8:58pm On Sep 10, 2018
FrankNetter:
So the courses I’m taking are Psychology, Philosophy, English and Biology. The biology is divided into class and lab.

Last week, when we went to the lab for some experiments. We were handed thermometers to do some random readings. Having been schooled all my life in naija, I’m used to seeing mercury thermometers. But these thermometers we were given had kerosene in it.

I quietly walked to the instructor and she confirmed it was indeed kerosene, then I asked why they were using kerosene instead of mercury. She told me recent scientific studies have shown that mercury has an adverse effect on neurological (brain) functions in kids and teenagers, so they switched to using kerosene cos it pretty much has the same properties as mercury and has no adverse effects.

Guess which country still uses mercury thermometers? When will Nigeria catch up with the rest of the world?

Nice info! bro...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by hahahahahaha(m): 2:58pm On Sep 14, 2018
Vyntra:
Hmm,I wish the OP best of luck in his educational endeavours.I will like to add that there are good universities in Nigeria too that is atleast close to international standards but they are mostly private universities,let's be honest good education is expensive,that's when the government comes in with funds to improve the infrastructure and the sector as all in a way we can refer to as subsidising but it's not their concern,all they care about is their pocket greediness for power,the educational sector in Nigeria,the public ones to be precise will not improve and will be in a pool of stagnacy as long as the old and corrupted leaders are being recycled.

Didn't you hear the OP? He said over there, the lecturers want you to pass their course. I don't even understand that statement, that's how messed up my experience is.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Bossman(m): 4:01pm On Sep 14, 2018
I believe what he is saying is that (at least based on my experience of schooling here) the professors provide as much help and resources as possible. They also make themselves available for questions and clarification if needed. OTOH, in Nigeria the professors are the exact opposite...they make life difficult for you as much as possible.

hahahahahaha:

Didn't you hear the OP? He said over there, the lecturers want you to pass their course. I don't even understand that statement, that's how messed up my experience is.

6 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by olojede2222(m): 5:31pm On Sep 14, 2018
olasmile pls I need your contact regarding elbfirm .Thanks
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by olojede2222(m): 5:33pm On Sep 14, 2018
olasmiles:

Hello, please check your inbox, I have a question to ask you and some info to get from you.... Would sincerely appreciate your reply. Thank you
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by olojede2222(m): 5:35pm On Sep 14, 2018
olasmiles:

Hello, please check your inbox, I have a question to ask you and some info to get from you.... Would sincerely appreciate your reply. Thank you
ebimarian pls I need your contact regarding elbfirm. 08165326126.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by kroger: 11:35pm On Sep 14, 2018
Dremca:
Just imagine, becoming a manager with just o'level certificate whereas in Nigeria that can't be possible if one doesn't have an MBA. This shows that experience and integrity matters more than one's certificate in the US.

Since i started working in america no one has actually asked me to present my certificate, what really count is your experience on the job.. As long as you can defend what you put on your resume the job is yours..

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Dremca(m): 11:58pm On Sep 14, 2018
Whereas in Nigeria, if you're not a graduate, you're a nobody. Young people bribe, sleep around and do all sorts in the university all in the name of sorting just to get certificate only to graduate to be unemployed because they pass through school but school didn't pass through them.
kroger:

Since i started working in america no one has actually asked me to present my certificate, what really count is your experience on the job.. As long as you can defend what you put on your resume the job is yours..

13 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lillaowow(m): 12:35am On Sep 15, 2018
kroger:

Wait, OMG you just blew my mind....

Since I've been working here and attending interviews , I have never been asked about all my certificates.

No one has seen them. They just go by what I write on my resume.

Where are these certificate sef, make I go look for Dem. Maybe my last GF don burn dem sef I no even know. grin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Originalsly: 4:27pm On Sep 15, 2018
kroger:

Soo true in most cases!...the first thing they want to know is your job history!..... then they call your previous jobs to enquire about you...not about your certification...but mainly punctuality... ability to work with others.... follow instructions and if you are a good worker. That's more important than your certificatesss.

8 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 1:24am On Sep 17, 2018
Come and continue Op
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Burger01(m): 3:01pm On Sep 17, 2018
kroger:

Exactly, except where you need to show professional certification membership cards.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by ebimarian: 2:54pm On Sep 18, 2018
olojede2222:
ebimarian pls I need your contact regarding elbfirm. 08165326126.
+234 806 759 4864-lily..pls call this person ...I really don't have info abt them any more
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by ebimarian: 2:56pm On Sep 18, 2018
olasmiles:

+234 806 759 4864-lily..pls call this person ...I really don't have info abt them any more
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by SaintHilary(m): 5:55pm On Sep 18, 2018
Chai!!..started reading this diary just 2-3pm yesterday to comot cum b like Instagram...na like dis I like "Jan" reach
@Frank you're d real MVP
@Nigeria I simply hv nothing to say after reading dis
@America #WeComin cool.
#Vision2020

Mk i sleep abeg..my eyes don full with both tears n sleep

10 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by BossDanniee(m): 6:30pm On Sep 18, 2018
Wow! Baba Frank thanks for the inspiration. Finally, learnt so much on this thread. We should all work our way 2wards success. I'm really having that 'American dream' God deyyy!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by stonemasonn: 10:24pm On Sep 18, 2018
kroger:

its because there is a high demand for skilled labor.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 1:48am On Sep 20, 2018
There is no basis for comparison mehn!
Naija will get there too one day.
Another life.
New Opportunity!
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by olamilarks(m): 3:14am On Sep 20, 2018
Dremca:
This is not entirely true sir, KFC in Nigeria has the same structure as burger king, you can grow as far as a Restaurant General manager with SSCE in KFC Nigeria. Their shift managers (the ones in blue shirts) are mostly SSCE holders that have grown through the ranks from team member. I worked in a KFC Nigeria store so I know this.

5 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Ugosample(m): 3:18am On Sep 20, 2018
Bossman:
I believe what he is saying is that (at least based on my experience of schooling here) the professors provide as much help and resources as possible. They also make themselves available for questions and clarification if needed. OTOH, in Nigeria the professors are the exact opposite...they make life difficult for you as much as possible.

exactly undecided
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Ugosample(m): 3:19am On Sep 20, 2018
TheGreenLand:
First day in nursing class. It was awesome and interesting. There is no basis for comparison mehn! Naija will get there too one day. Another life. New Opportunity!
get there when,
With the kind of people there? ??
maybe in 50 years grin
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Ugosample(m): 3:20am On Sep 20, 2018
subcbouy:
The problem with most Nigerians is, university should be free. Most Nigerian universities are too lazy to source for funds outside the shore. When government is not supplying funds, schools should help themselves. Good quality in teaching style and research advancement are two pseudo syndromes facing our schools, apart government failure to funding these institutions, because without these two, funds may become difficult in getting from foreign bodies. Good point from you.

apart from that

how many lecturers know what they are doing In line with current trends in Nigeria?

bunch of useless old men

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by subcbouy: 7:05am On Sep 20, 2018
olamilarks:
This is not entirely true sir, KFC in Nigeria has the same structure as burger king, you can grow as far as a Restaurant General manager with SSCE in KFC Nigeria. Their shift managers (the ones in blue shirts) are mostly SSCE holders that have grown through the ranks from team member. I worked in a KFC Nigeria store so I know this.
I guess, they are paid well.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by subcbouy: 7:10am On Sep 20, 2018
Ugosample:

apart from that

how many lecturers know what they are doing In line with current trends in Nigeria?

bunch of useless old men
Some private institutions are quietly doing great, while some of them are just biz kiosk, doing not great.

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by subcbouy: 7:31am On Sep 20, 2018
TheGreenLand:
First day in nursing class.
It was awesome and interesting.
There is no basis for comparison mehn!
Naija will get there too one day.
Another life.
New Opportunity!
I pray too.
Restructuring of minds will do great a job to us getting there. People's mind are corrupt even before service to humanity.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Tobimillar1(m): 8:35am On Sep 20, 2018
FrankNetter:
For yankee here, there are few open air markets. You know in naija if you want to buy household items, building materials like wood, nails, toilets, paint you drive down to the market & sadly most times, all the items you need would not be in the same market. So you have to juggle different markets. Well, for yankee here, they have specific stores for stuff like that. The two most popular are called “home-depot” and “menards”.

I recently went to one of them to get heavy-duty gloves for my work, so I took a few photos.

You are in the suburbs ?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by cyberhike(m): 11:56pm On Sep 20, 2018
subcbouy:

Paid fire!!!
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by subcbouy: 12:33pm On Sep 21, 2018
cyberhike:

Paid fire!!!
Easy fire! lol
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by olamilarks(m): 7:35am On Sep 22, 2018
subcbouy:
Well, KFC Nigeria is owned by Indians and they are really good slave masters. Shift manager - 37k, Team member - 27k.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (186) (187) (188) (189) (190) (191) (192) ... (220) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Canada / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.