Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,823 members, 7,828,010 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:20 PM

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. - Travel (52) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (684988 Views)

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) ... (220) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by TWoods(m): 11:33pm On Mar 04, 2017
sholay2011:

You are very right. But note that this my church member is a 'correct' Nigerian oh, bred and buttered in Lagos. She just decided to take advantage of the 'system' in my opinion. angry

I mean, I was just ordering smoothie and snacks, left and right. I also noticed I ordered the most among all of us while we all played card games. I didn't know ignorance was worrying me. Thank God it didn't result into stories that touch.grin

Na long throat dey worry you. Someone invited you to party and you are ordering left and right... who did you think was going to pay?

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by 1Rebel: 2:36am On Mar 05, 2017
TWoods:

Na long throat dey worry you. Someone invited you to party and you are ordering left and right... who did you think was going to pay?

Our Lord and savior Jesus krist grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by sholay2011(m): 2:53am On Mar 05, 2017
TWoods:

You shouldn't have taken the 'ordering left and right' part of my post literally.

Hyperbole sometimes makes an occurrence sound more interesting.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by adegeye38(m): 3:09am On Mar 05, 2017
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by adegeye38(m): 3:13am On Mar 05, 2017
bayocanny:
Thunder go fire Nigerian Politicians...see the way everything make sense for obodo oyinbo, whoever come on this thread and start saying trash about "e o easy in yankee" whalai I go curse the persin. FrankNetter, Signature2012 and other person wey dey amelika continue posting pcitures I dey gbadun you guys. Wherever I am na yankee I dey see for vision, in my dream...yankee, when eating...yankee, walking on the street...na so so yankee I dey always visualize, even inside the lecture room...na yankee I no dey concentrate in class any longer. Even if lecturer ask me question, na definition of yankee I dey give, lol mehn I don tire...
Abeg, yankee na country, other countries are local government...I go soon run away

imsuboi:
Anybody trying to compare life in nigeria with life abroad needs to visit a psychiatrist as soon as possible. That being said, playa0ne (and all the frogs that liked your comment) are _retarded. undecided
To me the question of migration depend on a lot of things, and u are entitled to your own decision.

but what gets me annoyed is the bashing u guys keep throwing at ur motherland, when u all contributed to what it is 2day dere was a time wen electricity was constant, were jobs were available, where basic social amenities were on hand and the naira had more value dan the dollar, and gradually things started spiraling down hill.

something went wrong somewhere

America was nt always like that,

the mindset of the people had a lot to do with hw America became a world power now that u guys are nw rushing there.

what made America great was nt the leaders, but the people!!

And what made Nigeria from a promising vibrant country to the shambles it is today is the people

A monster that has eaten deep in the fabric of our bleeped up society, a monster that has eaten deep into every Individual, every sector, a monster that has become a part of our life,

a monster called CORRUPTION

Over 400 billion dollars stolen since independence and still counting, billions of dollars stolen every month, every sector, the federal government, the state government, the local government, the ministries, contractors, the private sector, the Judiciary, the law enforcement, Health sector, Churches, are all a bedrock of massive corruption.

Trillions spend on electricity with nothing to show for it a meager 3000 mw, while other countries are generating hundreds of thousands,The allocations state governments and local government recieves that should have been used on boosting the economy of each state and infrastructure have all been stolen, Lagos for example is a bedrock of the highest corruption i have ever seen It economy is one of the best in africa due to massive IGR, but the infrastructures are one of the worst, decayed and rotting d problem of corruption in nigeria is nt d leaders.

its d people, we are naturally selfish, self centered, greedy, destructive its in our blood we were born withit, we all contributed in destroying dis country, we love corruption, we encourage it, we justify it and we are currently enjoying the dividend our religiousness doesn't help either cus we wallow in religion hypocrisy, so morrally we are decayed, religion wise decayed, society decayed and d same society will keep on producing fools as leaders.

WITHOUT THE CHANGING OF THINKING, MINDSET, CULTURE, HABBIT OF THE PEOPLE, NOTHING WILL EVER WORK.

ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO BUILD STRONG INSTITUTIONS.

Change must come from within.....

Christianity that would have helped us has been abused and being turned into religion hypocrisy.

Now for those of you in diaspora before u come here and speak trash abt Nigeria, think, what did i do to bring abt a positive difference when i was here, in myown little way, was i right in my day to dealings, did i obey basic rules and order, what did i do to bring a positive change to my surroundings and my mother land.

Now for those in Nigeria, who are spewing trash hereand abusing those who are trying to tell i from experience that the grass is nt potentially greener on the other side,The thing is only a dumb, lazzy ass fool, who does ntthink will say there is no opportunities for you to be the best u can be hereNigeria with its unique environment and endowments all i see is potential upon potential, by looking at d pictures frank are posting alone, am already having ideas of more business opportunities alone.

Nigeria as developing country with a population of 180 million people is a gold mine of businesses opportunities for serious minded people, sectors like

TRANSPORTATION (Its an industry worth billions of dollars)

MANUFACTURING

FOOD

PROCESSINGSALES

ICT

ADVERTISING

ENTERTAINMENT

AGRICULTURE (The potential and opportunities in agriculture alone is mind boggling they are thousands, potential worth billions of dollars)

was reading abt how 3 million foolish, unproductive nigerians invested over 18 billion naira on a ponzi scheme, imagine if that money had gone into lets say agriculture alone.

there would have been tremendous effects

Myself as an example run a company founded by methat has investment in some of this sectors, and am comfortable and happy, i earn a 7 figure income monthly and i continue to invest more and expand and also lecture other also, i have people employed people under me and i try to be honest in all my dealingsnow i have done 4 things

1. In my own way have contributed to the country's economy

2. reduced unemployment

3. make my own contribution in taxes.

4. reduce corruption on my own path and in my own environment.

All these at the age of 19

now what have you done for your country?

Conclusion: If you want to leave, leave but dont come online spewing trash abt your motherland and displaying an high level of ignorance.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by adegeye38(m): 3:35am On Mar 05, 2017
FrankNetter:
I see one piglet attempting to throw shots at me, the thing is, Im too busy enjoying myself to even let your shallow reply bother me.

If you love your country that much, why don't you set your USA passport on flames, rescind the citizenship (that's if you're not even an illegal immigrant) and return to your beloved nigeria.

TWoods:

You hit the nail on the head. If you work hard and plan well... you will succeed in America. That is what is missing in naija. I had my own home and car by the time i was 28 (and i only came here at 23) - how many Nigerians back home can say that? If you spend your time buying jordans while your mates were studying... please blame yourself for your own failures.
To me the question of migration depend on a lot of things, and u are entitled to your own decision.
but what gets me annoyed is the bashing u guys keep throwing at ur motherland, when u all contributed to what it is 2day dere was a time wen electricity was constant, were jobs were available, where basic social amenities were on hand and the naira had more value dan the dollar, and gradually things started spiraling down hill.

America was nt always like that the mindset of the people had a lot to do with hw America became a world power now that u guys are nw rushing there.

And what made Nigeria from a promising vibrant country to the shambles it is today is the people?

A monster that has eaten deep in the fabric of our bleeped up society, a monster that has eaten deep into every Individual, every sector, a monster that has become a part of our life, a monster called CORRUPTION

Over 400 billion dollars stolen since independence and still counting, billions of dollars stolen every month, every sector, the federal government, the state government, the local government, the ministries, contractors, the private sector, the Judiciary, the law enforcement, Health sector, Churches, are all a bedrock of massive corruption.Trillions spend on electricity with nothing to show for it a meager 3000, while other countries are generating hundreds of thousandsThe allocations state governments and local government recieves that should have been used on boosting the economy of each state and infrastructure have all been stolen, Lagos for example is a bedrock of the highest corruption i have ever seen It economy is one of the best in africa due to massive IGR, but the infrastructures are one of the worst, decayed and rotting d problem of corruption in nigeria is nt d leaders.

its d people, we are naturally selfish, self centered, greedy, destructive its in our blood we were born with it, we all contributed in destroying dis country, we love corruption, we encourage it, we justify it and we are currently enjoying the dividend our religiousness doesn't help either cus we wallow in religion hypocrisy, so morrally we are decayed, religion wise decayed, society decayed and d same society will keep on producing fools as leaders.

WITHOUT THE CHANGING OF THINKING, MINDSET, CULTURE, HABBIT OF THE PEOPLE, NOTHING WILL EVER WORK.ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO BUILD STRONG INSTITUTIONS.

Christianity that would have helped us has been abused and being turned into religion hypocrisy.

Now for those of you in diaspora before u come here and speak trash abt Nigeria, think, what did i do to bring abt a positive difference when i was here, in my own little way, was i right in my day to dealings, did i obey basic rules and order, what did i do to bring a positive change to my surroundings and my mother land.

Now for those in Nigeria, who are spewing trash here and abusing those who are trying to tell i from experience that the grass is nt potentially greener on the other side,

The thing is only a dumb, lazzy ass fool, who does nt think will say there is no opportunities for you to be the best u can be here

Nigeria with its unique environment and endowments all i see is potential upon potential, by looking at d pictures frank are posting alone, am already having ideas of more business opportunities alone.

Nigeria as developing country with a population of 180 million people is a gold mine of businesses opportunities for serious minded people sectors like

MANUFACTURING

FOOD PROCESSING

SALES

ICT
ADVERTISING

ENTERTAINMENT

AGRICULTURE (The potential and opportunities in agriculture alone is mind boggling they are thousands, potential worth billions of dollars)

was reading abt how 3 million foolish, unproductive nigerians invested over 18 billion naira on a ponzi scheme, imagine if that money had gone into lets say agriculture alone.

Myself as an example run a company founded by me that has investment in some of this sectors, and am comfortable and happy, i earn a 7 figure income monthly and i continue to invest more and expand and also lecture other also, i have people employed people under me and i try to be honest in all my dealings

now i have done 4 things

2. reduced unemployment

Conclusion: If you want to leave, leave but dont come online spewing trash abt your motherland and displaying an high level of ignorance.

Enjoying your thread and blog by the way Frank, will be coming to Chicago later this year on business, we might link up and hangout.

9 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by ichommy(m): 5:39am On Mar 05, 2017
Teeboy22:

Boss mi
I see you

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by ichommy(m): 5:40am On Mar 05, 2017
ferhyntorlah:

Me sef dey wonder.

I better ignore the invite.

Before nko?

How are U Brother?
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by ichommy(m): 5:41am On Mar 05, 2017
CFCman:

That's the American way

Alright Brother.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by ferhyntorlah(f): 1:27pm On Mar 05, 2017
ichommy:

Before nko?
How are U Brother?
I'm fine. I'm female by the way. Enjoy your day.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by ichommy(m): 3:10pm On Mar 05, 2017
ferhyntorlah:

I'm fine. I'm female by the way.
Enjoy your day.

Oops, Apologies. wink
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by guiddoti: 10:17pm On Mar 06, 2017
CFCman:

That's the American way
Even in the UK.
I experience similar situation, we just finished group project presentation when our coordinator asked if we would like get- together so as to celebrate the rigorous of our project, which comprises 109 students (group A-L). My thoughts was, department wanted to sponsor the stuff because we have to register online, and the idea was, if they can get 70% of the students, the party will proceed but if below, they will cancel the party. We began campaigning within ourselves so as to make sure the party holds. However, I got to the venue, only to know that you got to pay for your drink. I laughed! you know naw, as an African man wey don see free drink, I don package myself to get 3/8 of my fees lol

5 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 10:21pm On Mar 06, 2017
guiddoti:
Even in the UK.
I experience similar situation, we just finished group project presentation when our coordinator asked if we would like get- together so as to celebrate the rigorous of our project, which comprises 109 students (group A-L). My thoughts was, department wanted to sponsor the stuff because we have to register online, and the idea was, if they can get 70% of the students, the party will proceed but if below, they will cancel the party. We began campaigning within ourselves so as to make sure the party holds. However, I got to the venue, only to know that you got to pay for your drink. I laughed! you know naw, as an African man wey don see free drink, I don package myself to get 3/8 of my fees lol
Haha
I guess it was an informal thing. If it was an official get-together, I don't think you'd have to pay anything.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by guiddoti: 10:26pm On Mar 06, 2017
CFCman:

Haha
I guess it was an informal thing. If it was an official get-together, I don't think you'd have to pay anything.

It was very funny to me that day.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 3:50pm On Mar 08, 2017
Hey guys, wetin dey happen?

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 4:33pm On Mar 08, 2017
FrankNetter:

Oga frank, how have you been?
really miss your updatecheesy

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by sholay2011(m): 4:49pm On Mar 08, 2017
FrankNetter:
Even me wey no dey naija sef don miss your updates. Oya, throw us something.

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 10:13pm On Mar 08, 2017
FrankNetter:
any current news for us
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 3:04pm On Mar 09, 2017
No be say i no get gist sha, na just say some issues dey bother me.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 3:05pm On Mar 09, 2017
I'm being coaxed and bribed into going back to nigeria to complete my med program. Sadness is too mild an adjective to describe how I feel right now.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 3:09pm On Mar 09, 2017
I seriously thought I was done with nigeria. With the backwardness, stagnation and hate, it appears life has other plans. cry

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 3:13pm On Mar 09, 2017
I have some sad (not bad) news.

My extended family (all settled here in the USA) think it would be better for me to complete my medical school program in nigeria. "You have your greencard, you can always come for holidays" they say. They don't know what I've seen, what I've encountered. This saga has dragged on for a while now, they have boxed me into a corner and bribed me into submission. As a young man, I hate dealing with uncertainty, how can I not know my expected date of graduation? Will I study medicine till I die? sad

In the long run, it would be a good deal though. No student loan to pay back, no messed up credit score to stop my dreams. But right now, my question is "why nigeria"? Of all the countries in the world, why nigeria?

It would take a while for me to get used to this.

14 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by ebimarian: 3:49pm On Mar 09, 2017
FrankNetter:
One of the ladies just dey observe me with one eye grin

Today go make sense die
U better nor go follow transgendered o...lollll.....ask for d girl baby picture o whether e don b man bfor....because some babes there were actually men bfor...

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 5:09pm On Mar 09, 2017
FrankNetter:

My extended family (all settled here in the USA) think it would be better for me to complete my medical school program in nigeria. "You have your greencard, you can always come for holidays" they say. They don't know what I've seen, what I've encountered. This saga has dragged on for a while now, they have boxed me into a corner and bribed me into submission. As a young man, I hate dealing with uncertainty, how can I not know my expected date of graduation? Will I study medicine till I die? sad

In the long run, it would be a good deal though. No student loan to pay back, no messed up credit score to stop my dreams. But right now, my question is "why nigeria"? Of all the countries in the world, why nigeria?

dude do u mean dis?

still not belivn......
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by drakeli: 5:54pm On Mar 09, 2017
FrankNetter:

In this era of Trump immigration uncertainty? Even those with green cards are taking a rush to reenter the the United States and people inside are refusing to go outside. If you were a US citizen, it would have been a more secure lifeline for you to leave and enter the US at will anyday anytime. Well...I think your folks want as well take advantage of how cheap it is to study medicine back home than in the US. But I bet you can't finish in Nigeria and be able to practise like that in America.

14 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by vamum: 6:07pm On Mar 09, 2017
FrankNetter:

Can you please find Nigerian trained doctors and get proper advise before you make a final decision. To the best of my understanding you would need to go back to school for a few more years when you get back just in a bid to get certified as a MD here in the US. why waste those years in Nigeria if the Nigerian credentials will most likely not be recognized. It may be better to transfer credits (whatever can be transferred) and complete your program here. You have a better chance of getting employment right after school with a certification from the US rather than Nigeria. Most professionals that I know still had to get some sort of certifications from here before they could get good paying jobs. Don't think of the school loans, honestly if you are disciplined and focused you will pay within 2 years of getting a job.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 6:14pm On Mar 09, 2017
FrankNetter:

please Franknetter dont go.......in dis our era, plzzzzzzzz

ur people wicked oooo

7 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Ademat7(m): 6:34pm On Mar 09, 2017
FrankNetter:

Wao! That's challenging; negotiate other options with them by the way check online for " you can negotiate anything by herb Cohen "
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 11:01pm On Mar 09, 2017
It's quite hard to argue with elderly people. You guys know how parents and uncles and aunties can be.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 11:20pm On Mar 09, 2017
FrankNetter:
It's quite hard to argue with elderly people. You guys know how parents and uncles and aunties can be.

its a planned work ..........argue ooooooo plzz cuz dis is a life tym decision

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by darfay: 9:43am On Mar 10, 2017
adegeye38:

America was nt always like that the mindset of the people had a lot to do with hw America became a world power now that u guys are nw rushing there.

And what made Nigeria from a promising vibrant country to the shambles it is today is the people?

A monster that has eaten deep in the fabric of our bleeped up society, a monster that has eaten deep into every Individual, every sector, a monster that has become a part of our life, a monster called CORRUPTION

Over 400 billion dollars stolen since independence and still counting, billions of dollars stolen every month, every sector, the federal government, the state government, the local government, the ministries, contractors, the private sector, the Judiciary, the law enforcement, Health sector, Churches, are all a bedrock of massive corruption.Trillions spend on electricity with nothing to show for it a meager 3000, while other countries are generating hundreds of thousandsThe allocations state governments and local government recieves that should have been used on boosting the economy of each state and infrastructure have all been stolen, Lagos for example is a bedrock of the highest corruption i have ever seen It economy is one of the best in africa due to massive IGR, but the infrastructures are one of the worst, decayed and rotting d problem of corruption in nigeria is nt d leaders.

its d people, we are naturally selfish, self centered, greedy, destructive its in our blood we were born with it, we all contributed in destroying dis country, we love corruption, we encourage it, we justify it and we are currently enjoying the dividend our religiousness doesn't help either cus we wallow in religion hypocrisy, so morrally we are decayed, religion wise decayed, society decayed and d same society will keep on producing fools as leaders.

WITHOUT THE CHANGING OF THINKING, MINDSET, CULTURE, HABBIT OF THE PEOPLE, NOTHING WILL EVER WORK.ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO BUILD STRONG INSTITUTIONS.

Now for those of you in diaspora before u come here and speak trash abt Nigeria, think, what did i do to bring abt a positive difference when i was here, in my own little way, was i right in my day to dealings, did i obey basic rules and order, what did i do to bring a positive change to my surroundings and my mother land.

Now for those in Nigeria, who are spewing trash here and abusing those who are trying to tell i from experience that the grass is nt potentially greener on the other side,

The thing is only a dumb, lazzy ass fool, who does nt think will say there is no opportunities for you to be the best u can be here

Nigeria with its unique environment and endowments all i see is potential upon potential, by looking at d pictures frank are posting alone, am already having ideas of more business opportunities alone.

Nigeria as developing country with a population of 180 million people is a gold mine of businesses opportunities for serious minded people sectors like

MANUFACTURING

FOOD PROCESSING

SALES

ICT
ADVERTISING

ENTERTAINMENT

Myself as an example run a company founded by me that has investment in some of this sectors, and am comfortable and happy, i earn a 7 figure income monthly and i continue to invest more and expand and also lecture other also, i have people employed people under me and i try to be honest in all my dealings

now i have done 4 things

2. reduced unemployment

Enjoying your thread and blog by the way Frank, will be coming to Chicago later this year on business, we might link up and hangout.

Wow wow well spoken but you must remember that not everybody has/will have the type of opportunity you did. I think the important thing is given back to the society(even if it gave us nothing) whether home or abroad we should contribute our quota no matter how little or big to the development of our society

2 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 11:34am On Mar 10, 2017
mhen. dunno why life is like this, at FRANKnetter pls and pls the issue of you coming back here should not be accepted, GUY better try your best convince your people, infact join HUnger strike join am angry angry angry sad

SAYNO.TO.COMING.BACK

e be like say your people from village don follow your go yankee grin cheesy cheesy

20 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) ... (220) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Canada / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.