Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,710 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:31 PM

Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God (8793 Views)

Coronavirus: Winners Chapel Reacts To Criticism Of Service Held On Sunday 22nd / The Triune Nature Of GOD / Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by randomperson: 10:23pm On Dec 09, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Prove it
The concept of Trinity is one of the many reasons Christianity is seen as falsehood.
Firstly, it's not even an original concept. Indian, Egyptian, Greek and Roman mythologies also reveal the concept of Trinity.
Then, no place in the bible is it mentioned that the father, son and spirit are the same person and are all God
Then the actual words of Jesus Christ make the concept of Trinity ridiculous at the very least.
For example:
“I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.” John 5:30

Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I. John 14:28

Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done. Luke 22:42
If Jesus is God, that means he has two wills?? And he was praying to himself to allow his(Jesus) will but on ultimate subjection to his (God) will

But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father. Mark 13:32
The above verse completely rubbishes the idea of Trinity. Or are u saying God know and didn't know the time of his coming at the same time?
Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:51pm On Dec 09, 2016
randomperson:

The concept of Trinity is one of the many reasons Christianity is seen as falsehood.
Firstly, it's not even an original concept. Indian, Egyptian, Greek and Roman mythologies also reveal the concept of Trinity.
Then, no place in the bible is it mentioned that the father, son and spirit are the same person and are all God

Do not confuse triadic gods , Tritheism with Christian's Trinity . The difference is that in Trinity Yahweh , Yeshua and Ruach Hakodesh are made of the same substance and essence , existing as one eternally .

randomperson:
Then the actual words of Jesus Christ make the concept of Trinity ridiculous at the very least.
For example:
“I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.” John 5:30

Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I. John 14:28

Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done. Luke 22:42
If Jesus is God, that means he has two wills?? And he was praying to himself to allow his(Jesus) will but on ultimate subjection to his (God) will

But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father. Mark 13:32
The above verse completely rubbishes the idea of Trinity. Or are u saying God know and didn't know the time of his coming at the same time?

You are really new here and you keep rehashing old arguments . You apparently don't understand the Truine Nature of God . This is not proof that the trinity does not exist , this is a just a gallimaufry of misconstrued bible verses . If I should start explaining each verse it would go into interminable arguments which are otiose to your life as an atheist .

2 Likes

Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by randomperson: 11:01pm On Dec 09, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Do not confuse triadic gods , Tritheism with Christian's Trinity . The difference is that in Trinity Yahweh , Yeshua and Ruach Hakodesh are made of the same substance and essence , existing as one eternally .

You are really new here and you keep rehashing old arguments . You apparently don't understand the Truine Nature of God . This is not proof that the trinity does not exist , this is a just a gallimaufry of misconstrued bible verses . If I should start explaining each verse it would go into interminable arguments which is otiose to your life as an atheist .
Misconstrued?? When Jesus clearly states that he doesn't know when he is coming back but only his father knows... Tell me is it possible to know and not know something at the same time??
Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by randomperson: 11:22pm On Dec 09, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Can any atheist bring forth any worthy argument . Any

So let's go back to the OP

Why do you think Xenophanes criticized anthropomorphism ? Do you think he would have maintained his criticism of anthropomorphism if he understood the concept of a Triune God ?
Wait! U believe anthropomorphism?? That means God has a d.I.c.k right??
Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:22pm On Dec 09, 2016
randomperson:

Misconstrued?? When Jesus clearly states that he doesn't know when he is coming back but only his father knows... Tell me is it possible to know and not know something at the same time??

Because of his human nature . That's why he also prayed to God , gave thanks to God , etc . So his human nature precluded omniscience and weakened his prescience .

1 Like

Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by randomperson: 11:30pm On Dec 09, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Because of his human nature . That's why he also prayed to God , gave thanks to God , etc . So his human nature precluded omniscience and weakened his prescience .
So there are two Gods?? My argument here is not even that Jesus is not God, we can trash that out later but that they are not the same person... If Jesus is also his father... Then how come he knows what he doesn't know.. I know it sounds crazy. That's Trinity for u. Lemme get this straight first... Do u believe God and Jesus are one??
Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:31pm On Dec 09, 2016
randomperson:

Wait! U believe anthropomorphism?? That means God has a d.I.c.k right??

Christ as God incarnate and theophanies .
Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:33pm On Dec 09, 2016
randomperson:

So there are two Gods?? My argument here is not even that Jesus is not God, we can trash that out later but that they are not the same person... If Jesus is also his father... Then how come he knows what he doesn't know.. I know it sounds crazy. That's Trinity for u. Lemme get this straight first... Do u believe God and Jesus are one??

This diagram should help . Though I was told to stop using it for obvious reasons but it is now expedient to put it up again .

1 Like

Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by randomperson: 11:34pm On Dec 09, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Christ as God incarnate and theophanies .
So God doesn't actually have human form?? He only reveals himself to humans in human form? Am I getting this right??
Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by randomperson: 11:36pm On Dec 09, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

This diagram should help . Though I was told to stop using it for obvious reasons but it is now expedient to put it up again .
So there are three different people and each of them is God?? There are three Gods then?
Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:36pm On Dec 09, 2016
randomperson:

So God doesn't actually have human form?? He only reveals himself to humans in human form? Am I getting this right??

Exactly smiley

Actually it has been revealed that God has at least 9 dimensions

1 Like

Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:37pm On Dec 09, 2016
randomperson:

So there are three different people and each of them is God?? There are three Gods then?

One God = Three Persons

Eg
RandomPerson existing as three persons in a different dimension
Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by randomperson: 11:41pm On Dec 09, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Exactly smiley

Actually it has been revealed that God has at least 9 dimensions
9 dimensions.. Wow. I thought God said let's create man in our own IMAGE
Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by randomperson: 11:43pm On Dec 09, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

One God = Three Persons

Eg
RandomPerson existing as three persons in a different dimension
So each person forms one-third of God?? So God is not a person but a concept like government... Executive, legislature, judiciary??
Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:51pm On Dec 09, 2016
randomperson:

9 dimensions.. Wow. I thought God said let's create man in our own IMAGE

In the past I thought it was physical likeness but I discovered I was wrong as I read widely . In
Philippians 2:7
7 but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.
Christ took the likeness of men in order to save us .

It has to do with mental , social , moral likeness . We are intelligent , we know good or evil and we can interact socially . God is omniscient , God knows good and evil and God has a social nature in the sense that he interacts with men and intervenes in the affairs of men . And before he created men the trinity communed among themselves and they had the angels at some point .
Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:54pm On Dec 09, 2016
randomperson:

So each person forms one-third of God?? So God is not a person but a concept like government... Executive, legislature, judiciary??

These videos should help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQkFlzFJ3kA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvj87QCF0lg

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by randomperson: 12:10am On Dec 10, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

In the past I thought it was physical likeness but I discovered I was wrong as I read widely . In
Philippians 2:7
7 but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.
Christ took the likeness of men in order to save us .

It has to do with mental , social , moral likeness . We are intelligent , we know good or evil and we can interact socially . God is omniscient , God knows good and evil and God has a social nature in the sense that he interacts with men and intervenes in the affairs of men . And before he created men the trinity communed among themselves and they had the angels at some point .

The mental, social and moral likeness don't exclude physical appearance. In fact in Genesis, it says "Let's make man in our IMAGE. After our own LIKENESS." That's two different concepts. Image is talking about physical appearance, that's the dictionary meaning. Likeness has to do with social, mental and stuff.
So when that verse says Christ took the likeness of men. It was talking about the vulnerabilities of humans not mere physical appearance
Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:14am On Dec 10, 2016
randomperson:

The mental, social and moral likeness don't exclude physical appearance. In fact in Genesis, it says "Let's make man in our IMAGE. After our own LIKENESS." That's two different concepts. Image is talking about physical appearance, that's the dictionary meaning. Likeness has to do with social, mental and stuff.
So when that verse says Christ took the likeness of men. It was talking about the vulnerabilities of humans not mere physical appearance

The image of God also referred to the immaterial part of man which is the spirit of man and of course we don't know how that looks like . Forget the movies grin. Remember that God is a spirit - immaterial . Sorry I didn't include that before
Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:20am On Dec 10, 2016
randomperson:

cool
Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by randomperson: 8:14am On Dec 10, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

The image of God also referred to the immaterial part of man which is the spirit of man and of course we don't know how that looks like . Forget the movies grin. Remember that God is a spirit - immaterial . Sorry I didn't include that before
This explanation is well thought out. I have to admit it but it seems forced. Like in a bid to make the concept of Trinity more acceptable and less ridiculous, these people developed an explanation to exclude the contradictions that are attendant with the other explanations... If it this is true and that simple, it should and would have been explained by the bible. But the bible reference we have actually don't support this explanations...
Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:08am On Dec 10, 2016
randomperson:

This explanation is well thought out. I have to admit it but it seems forced. Like in a bid to make the concept of Trinity more acceptable and less ridiculous, these people developed an explanation to exclude the contradictions that are attendant with the other explanations... If it this is true and that simple, it should and would have been explained by the bible. But the bible reference we have actually don't support this explanations...

There are a thousand and one bible verses that show them playing distinct roles
Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:02pm On Dec 11, 2016
More contributions please
Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by randomperson: 3:01pm On Dec 11, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

There are a thousand and one bible verses that show them playing distinct roles
So when Moses saw god, be saw three people?
Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:04pm On Dec 11, 2016
randomperson:

So when Moses saw god, be saw three people?

undecided

1 Like

Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by KingEbukasBlog(m): 4:49pm On Dec 14, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

You should note that : Judaism and Islam reject an anthropomorphic deity, believing that God is beyond human comprehension . Judaism holds that anthropomorphic characteristics of God in the Hebrew Bible such as the "Hand of God" are to be taken only as figures of speech. This was done to make God more comprehensible to the human reader. As God is inscrutable , beyond human understanding, and of course there are different ways of describing him. He is said to be both personal and impersonal, he has a relationship with his creation but is beyond all relationships . That's why I strongly believe that God always reveals Himself to man in ways we can comprehend .

Dalaman
Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by KingEbukaNaija: 11:03am On Dec 15, 2016
Please , more contributions .
Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:02pm On Dec 24, 2016
More contributions please
Re: Xenophanes' Criticism Of Anthropomorphism Vs The Triune Nature of God by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:36pm On Feb 26, 2017
More contributions

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Christianity Teaches! God Hate Religion. / Man Slams Religious People Who Criticize Women Who Do Plastic Surgery / Kinds Of Spiritual Garments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.