Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,229 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:08 AM

What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? - Music/Radio (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? (17247 Views)

Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) / What Are Your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2011? / What Are Your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2010? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? by Sauron1: 9:03pm On Dec 22, 2009
javalove:

Well, CONTRADICTION, modenine wud spit a verse and contradict it the the bext, YET still makes sense. .

[B]call me the NICEST with the WICKED lyrics - -  u cant be nice and wicked at the same time, so nicest contradicts wicked

listen UP as i throw DOWN at my release

i'll bring the crowd to LIFE, by KILLING them with the flow

i swon not to take an oath to always keep it REAL/ but most times i'm dropping FICTION to prove skill/
example, the mode rap WELL but I'm ILL

hip hop is BAD OFF i see nothing GOOD ON, diss me and FALL OFF before u get PUT ON

WALK with me as i RUN things/ LOCK IT DOWN with the FREESTYLE that i spit/

i'm rushing, all those who oppose/ the ones keeping FLAT FOOTED rappers on their toes/

the black knight could wish you good night so have a bad day/

your resume got the unclothed truth COVERED UP/ i'm RAW but i keep my private part RUBBERED UP
[/b]

All these lines are ebonics.
How can this be Mode-9's best work FFS? I tire for Mode-9 fans o.
M.I.'s SAFE is better than this. . . . . .The way M.I. used the chorus/lines of other Naija artistes to build up his bars seamlessly is a better concept.

that line is. . .[B] lyrical BEEFS rise like YEAST on a LOAF[/b]. . .Contradiction is his best (to me) and i havent heared any other nigerian rapper spit that tight and intelligent. . .concept, delivery, lyrics. .all on point

Yeast don't RISE. . . . . The dough does.
This is one of the reasons why Mode-9 can be moronic with his lines.
Re: What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? by javalove(m): 9:12pm On Dec 22, 2009
~Sauron~:

All these lines are ebonics.
How can this be Mode-9's best work FFS? I tire for Mode-9 fans o.
M.I.'s SAFE is better than this. . . . . .The way M.I. used the chorus/lines of other Naija artistes to build up his bars seamlessly is a better concept.

Yeast don't RISE. . . . . The dough does
This is one of the reasons why Mode-9 can be moronic with his lines.

i agree wiv u. . .is yeast an ingredient in bread making?
Re: What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? by Sauron1: 9:14pm On Dec 22, 2009
javalove:

i agree wiv u. . .is yeast an ingredient in bread making?

Yeast is an ingredient.
U add YEAST to the dough and the dough RISES. grin
Yeast itself does not rise but it's a catalyst. wink
Re: What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? by javalove(m): 9:15pm On Dec 22, 2009
does the YEAST rise wiv the DOUGH or not?
Re: What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? by Sauron1: 9:16pm On Dec 22, 2009
javalove:

does the YEAST rise wiv the DOUGH or not?

It does not. grin
Re: What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? by rapjunkie(m): 9:20pm On Dec 22, 2009
Mode just needs better beats.

I prefer SWTD because the beat is awesome. Its afrocentric but hardore hip hop at the same time. . . . .  and the MI and Iceprince delivery was on point.

Lots of modes tracks sound dated because of the beats he uses.

Mode is the better lyricist BUT MI has  the better all round package.
Re: What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? by Sauron1: 9:25pm On Dec 22, 2009
rapjunkie:

Mode just needs better beats.

I prefer SWTD because the beat is awesome. Its afrocentric but hardore hip hop at the same time. . . . .  and the MI and Iceprince delivery was on point.

Lots of modes tracks sound dated because of the beats he uses.

There's nothing wrong with his beats.
He is just keeping it real with the roots of the original hip-hop flavour.
Mode-9 doesn't want to be considered as a bubble-gum rapper. . . . .

Mode is the better lyricist BUT MI has  the better all round package.

It's close. . . . .very close.
Re: What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? by rapjunkie(m): 9:36pm On Dec 22, 2009
the beats are boring. . . . . he can keep it to the roots of the original hip hop flavour ( whatever that means) BUT he aint gonna sell many records.
Re: What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? by Sauron1: 9:50pm On Dec 22, 2009
rapjunkie:

the beats are boring. . . . . he can keep it to the roots of the original hip hop flavour ( whatever that means) BUT he aint gonna sell many records.

That is the difference between Ras Kass and Soulja Boy.
It is also be the difference between Canibus and 50 cent.

Mode9 is doing it for the fans(i guess) not necessarily for commercial purposes.
If he wants to sell, all he has to do is feature Sasha or Pasuma in his music and it's bingo.

Some rappers want to keep it REAL cos going poppy will make em lose some sorta credibility.
I understand there should be a balance but that depends on the artiste.
Re: What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? by mamagee3(f): 10:03pm On Dec 22, 2009
Who knows the song that was played in the Nigerian Movie Margaret Thatcher? undecided
Re: What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? by Sauron1: 10:09pm On Dec 22, 2009
mama-gee:

Who knows the song that was played in the Nigerian Movie Margaret Thatcher? undecided

Margaret Thatcher?
Mama-gee, are you high?

What has that gotta do with hip-hop?
Re: What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? by Rhymstein(m): 10:21pm On Dec 22, 2009
@sauron
I jst had to gather guys in my skul,they listened 2 elbow room,talkin 2 u n swtd.it went modey way.lyk 6 non fans.man elbow room i feel its mode's best.also 360poetry.i love his social commentaries were tyte,i think fellow nigerians was d best.
Mi verses cant step to elbow room verse1

My train of thought,run u ova lyk u was on my track
Meanin am servin u on and off d court wit wot i spat
N i dare u,not to put d beaf back in d meat rack
U r weak black roastin lyk u r raw
U is an alby,imposter bt he is nt sure
Wel am on point lyk am sittin on d scoreboard
Swingin war swords,slashn up,all u whack guys
Rap wise,i wear u out lyk runnin up a hill
Fatigue is nt d issue,u get tired(tyred)by 4 wheels
I have no,elastic limit,i wont yield
I got d game sealed,controllin it
My foot is on d peddle
Beefin show promoters who always try to meddle,
Like floatin particles in pure water we wont settle
The lead will pierce flesh,
I executed the mind hit
Rewind it
Heads do that,wheneva i spit
Without their fingers in ma toilet,they feelin my shit

Bring it on,give me swtd verse1 to 3 or anyone,here metaphors,wordplay succeeded each line

And i jst heard his down wit blaise,terry n kraft,his rhyme scheme there was on anoda level,not mafiaso flow so loco,riggin,overfloggin,d internet bloggn,sauron no dey heaq mi corny rhymes

Contradiction was tyt
Mi has nt impressed me in anyway lyrically,wit all those lazy rhymin,it puts me off.period.n y does iceprince n mi rap alyk,rhyme pattern,flow,rhyme scheme et al,i knew how mi rapped b4.
Re: What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? by eldee(m): 11:18pm On Dec 22, 2009
Well, CONTRADICTION, modenine wud spit a verse and contradict it the the bext, YET still makes sense. .

[B]call me the NICEST with the WICKED lyrics - -  u cant be nice and wicked at the same time, so nicest contradicts wicked - This is just another ordinary line, come the bleep on!!! This is as genereic as 'no dey look my fine-boy, I wicked oooh'

listen UP as i throw DOWN at my release - Anyone could do sumn with listen up.

i'll bring the crowd to LIFE, by KILLING them with the flow - This is quite creative.

i swon not to take an oath to always keep it REAL/ but most times i'm dropping FICTION to prove skill - This is quite generic, I hear this everyday on Def Poetry.
example, the mode rap WELL but I'm ILL - 'Well' is not even the opposite of 'ill', 'healthy' is

hip hop is BAD OFF i see nothing GOOD ON, diss me and FALL OFF before u get PUT ON - 'Bad off'?? Java, Modenine will cry if he listens to this today. The fall off/put on part is just forced

WALK with me as i RUN things/ LOCK IT DOWN with the FREESTYLE that i spit/ - Walk/Run?? That's a paradox?? Lock it down/Freestyle?? That's as generic as the word goes.

i'm rushing, all those who oppose/ the ones keeping FLAT FOOTED rappers on their toes/ - An okay line

the black knight could wish you GOOD NIGHT so have a BAD DAY/ - This is extremely lame, 'black knight wish you good night??' 

your resume got the unclothed truth COVERED UP/ i'm RAW but i keep my private part RUBBERED UP - The first half is ill, but the I'm raw/rubbered up part?? Is this N-dubz in disguise??

[/b]

Javalove . . . na big time bleep up to dey call this best in Africa.
Just imagine Nas listening to this as Africa's representer?? Are you serious?? undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? by Sauron1: 11:24pm On Dec 22, 2009
Rhymstein:

Bring it on,give me swtd verse1 to 3 or anyone,here metaphors,wordplay succeeded each line
And i jst heard his down wit blaise,terry n kraft,his rhyme scheme there was on anoda level,not mafiaso flow so loco,riggin,overfloggin,d internet bloggn,sauron no dey heaq mi corny rhymes

Mode-9 does come up with brilliant stuffs but sometimes you just wanna slap him.
Based on his efforts alone, he deserves to be the king in Naija hip-hop but his HIT & MISS punchlines cannot be ignored.

Contradiction was tyt
Mi has nt impressed me in anyway lyrically,wit all those lazy rhymin,it puts me off.period.n y does iceprince n mi rap alyk,rhyme pattern,flow,rhyme scheme et al,i knew how mi rapped b4.

M.I. has impressed me more than Mode-9.
He has a better package and his vocals are clear and concise. He keeps it simple.
Delivery, metaphors and multis are always on point. . . .not FORCED like Modo!!!
Re: What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? by MeGaStReEt: 11:28pm On Dec 22, 2009
Terry Tha rapman ---- Sample
Getto Deram   ===== Da Grin
MC Loph           --------Osondi Owendi [classic]
Tha Suspect   --------- I No Send U
Illbliss feat. T.G-------- Aye Po gan
JJC ft all ========= We Are Africana
J. Martins--------------- Oyoyo
Timaya ------------------Plantain boy
Sasga -------------------Put it Down
Bracket==---------------Ada Owerri.
Re: What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? by Sauron1: 11:29pm On Dec 22, 2009
MeGaStReEt:

MC Loph           --------Osondi Owendi [classic]

U must be very intelligent. . . . .

I hope Rapjunkie is reading this.
Osondi is the number 1 song in 2009.
Re: What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? by eldee(m): 11:37pm On Dec 22, 2009
~Sauron~:

M.I. has impressed me more than Mode-9.
He has a better package and his vocals are clear and concise. He keeps it simple.
Delivery, metaphors and multis are always on point. . . .not FORCED like Modo!!!

That's the difference . . .
M.I's delivery?? check out 123 Hiphop. He spits like he owns the mic.
Like we owe him sumn . . . he's comfortable.

His metaphors/punchlines are not try ten five go enter like Carrick's passes.

His beats?? Jags is a Kanye . . . his beats are sumn else.
And there's a way M.I romances the beats like no other Naija rapper, see the way he mastered Anoti and then SWTD
M.I is a breath of fresh air.
Re: What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? by Sauron1: 11:41pm On Dec 22, 2009
eldee:

His metaphors/punchlines are not try ten five go enter like Carrick's passes.

This is the difference.

Although, you cannot deny Modenine's efforts in churning punchlines every now and then but he gets it wrong several times.
50 punchlines attempted, only 25 of em are on point.

For M.I., 10 punchlines attempted, ALL the 10 are on point.
Mode-9 fans will point to us that 25 is more than 10 but what is the % success?
Re: What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? by eldee(m): 11:58pm On Dec 22, 2009
~Sauron~:

This is the difference.

Although, you cannot deny Modenine's efforts in churning punchlines every now and then but he gets it wrong several times.
50 punchlines attempted, only 25 of em are on point.

For M.I., 10 punchlines attempted, ALL the 10 are on point.
Mode-9 fans will point to us that 25 is more than 10 but what is the % success?

But you have to understand that Modenine's voice is not one that can hold your attention without punchlines.
M.I could play with words/multies for about a minute without even dropping a punchline. . . no one else does that.

Just check out how M.I just plays with words in 123 Hiphop

Microphone testing, Is there any question??
I'm the most interesting, the best thing since best things
Cardiac arresting your chest 'n'
Lyrically molesting the rest and the rest are not resting
Listen
I'm the rapper ladies are requesting
I'm the dude these other dudes suggesting that their other dudes listen to . . .
- 123 Hiphop

So while this doesn't score you points on the Rap Battles thread, it hold you attention.
That's what true emcees do. Use words to grab your attention.

It shows his raw confidence . . . like 'I'm not trying to impress no one'
Re: What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? by MeGaStReEt: 12:27am On Dec 23, 2009
the way you guys talk about Mode 9 on Nairaland is sumtin else. honestly this is the only place i hear of Mode 9, i have not heard any of his songs for the past one and a half years now, dont get me wrong i love nigeria music, words cannot xplain how much i love to listen to 9ja music, but i barely hear mode 9 song on radio, i cant remember if i ever set my eyes on any of his albums. But accordin to what i read here on nairaland, it seems all mode 9 songs are diss tracks directed at ruggedman. I am sorry if this is going to hurt anyone, but i dont think Mode 9 is a successful rap artiste considerin long he's been on Nigeria Music Industry
Re: What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? by skfa1: 12:29am On Dec 23, 2009
Da green, ghetto dream
Re: What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? by Sauron1: 12:30am On Dec 23, 2009
MeGaStReEt:

the way you guys talk about Mode 9 on Nairaland is sumtin else. honestly this is the only place i hear of Mode 9, i have not heard any of his songs for the past one and a half years now, dont get me wrong i love nigeria music, words cannot xplain how much i love to listen to 9ja music, but i barely hear mode 9 song on radio, i cant remember if i ever set my eyes on any of his albums. But accordin to what i read here on nairaland, it seems all mode 9 songs are diss tracks directed at ruggedman. I am sorry if this is going to hurt anyone, but i dont think Mode 9 is not a successful rap artiste considerin long he's been on Nigeria Music Industry

He is an underground rapper.
Just like your regular Killah Priest, Ras Kass and Immortal Technique.
Modenine is definitely talented.
Re: What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? by paddylo1(m): 12:35am On Dec 23, 2009
@Rapjunkie

good job guys. . .ill list mine in no particular order

1.teeto,tha suspect- oshamo
2.Dagrin-pon pon pon
3.MC loph ft flavour-osondi owendi
4.Illbliss and terry g-aiye po gon
5.MI and djinee
6.terry tha rapman n pheroseouz-sample
7.Dagrin-ghetto dream
8.Mi-somebody wants to die
9.Modenine-badman
10.Knighthouse saucekid,teeto-the finest

see u guys make sure u add MCLOPH and flavour. . .all my friends here in philly love that song both black,white and africans
that song na classic,dont u guys know that ppl respect more original naija jams
with yoruba,igbo,hausa or broken english lyrics than pure english?

sometimes with these naija rap acts they feel they are copying americans too much but when them hear stuff like dagrin,mc loph or illbliss they respect

compile that sh*it quick i go buy am sef to rock for this side. . . .one love
Re: What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? by hax: 12:39am On Dec 23, 2009
punchlines don't make a rapper. punchlines = filler. or Fabolous would be the G.O.A.T. right after Big L.

tell a nice story, paint a picture, show emotion, flow on the beat, don't force your rhymes, and you have a winner.

not 'more ice than a mountain/ flow like a fountain/'

that is why 'Talk about it' and 'crowd mentality' will always make more sense than 'safe'.

'If you don't have a mind of your own
Don't be disappointed, this is fine, be a clone
Listen to me rhyme, I'm done trying to be mine all alone
And to make things connect like a spine to a bone
I've changed my mind, I'd rather be the same as
All these fake-ass entertainers
Make bad music just to rock in arenas
Use words like (no bad language on radio)
Cuz I tried hard to make a difference
Make the kind of music youth could use as reference
Everybody else say 'Let's dance'
Who am I to tell 'em otherwise? That's a job for reverends
So I'm ready now to join the movement
Together press for negative improvement
Everybody unite, to forever end the search for light'
Re: What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? by mamagee3(f): 12:40am On Dec 23, 2009
~Sauron~:

Margaret Thatcher?
Mama-gee, are you high?

What has that gotta do with hip-hop?

It's the title of the movie that I heard the music being played.
What else do you want me to say
? undecided
Re: What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? by MeGaStReEt: 12:46am On Dec 23, 2009
@Sauron

why is that they dont air his songs like others?
Re: What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? by Sauron1: 12:53am On Dec 23, 2009
MeGaStReEt:

@Sauron

why is that they dont air his songs like others?

Too HARD for airplay.
U know. . . . .his lyrics are too HARDCORE.

mama-gee:

It's the title of the movie that I heard the music being played.
What else do you want me to say
? undecided

Mama-gee, nor vex!!!
Are you from Nigeria?
Re: What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? by lalaboi(m): 1:06am On Dec 23, 2009
Guyz, . .

Please create a thread or post on several mode9 threads if you wanto continue this discussion!. , . .

No more of the offtopic!. . .**always happens when am away for the whole day**, , angry

STICK TO THE TOPIC PLEASE!
Re: What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? by gidson12(m): 8:32am On Dec 23, 2009
na wa oo, soo many hip-hop/ rap analyst undecided lipsrsealed
Re: What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? by lalaboi(m): 10:15am On Dec 23, 2009
Tosin and Rhymstein!

Dont force it! Stick to the topic there would be no history of that discussion on this thread again!. .
Re: What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? by DisGuy: 4:14pm On Dec 23, 2009
Is it ready?

abeg make una upload make i go sell am for my side grin

will raise money for xmas charity cheesy
Re: What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? by tosinaded(m): 4:18pm On Dec 23, 2009
Dis Guy:

Is it ready?

abeg make una upload make i go sell am for my side grin

will raise money for xmas charity cheesy

shocked shocked shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nysc Anthem Song - Youth Obey The Clarion Call (audio Download/ Lyrics) / Who is The Best Music Video Director In Nigeria? / Efe – Based On Logistics (official Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.