Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,210 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:46 AM

Akinwunmi Adesina: We Were Mocked For 'Cassava Bread’, Now Everyone Eats It - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akinwunmi Adesina: We Were Mocked For 'Cassava Bread’, Now Everyone Eats It (23328 Views)

"The Construction Of Flyover At Pen Cinema Agege Has Started" - Akinwunmi Ambode / Governor Aregbesola Asked People To Fast In Osun & Was Mocked / Adesina - We Never Respond To Fayose Because We See What He Does As Comic Relief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Akinwunmi Adesina: We Were Mocked For 'Cassava Bread’, Now Everyone Eats It by cjrane: 7:00am On Dec 07, 2016
Buhari's style would have been to issue order that all bread must come from cassava and launch operation chicken smile to arrest anyone not following his order.

In the end, nothing comes out of the sham except enriching soldiers who would be arresting and bailing poor people for eating or selling wheat bread.

4 Likes

Re: Akinwunmi Adesina: We Were Mocked For 'Cassava Bread’, Now Everyone Eats It by Yyeske(m): 7:04am On Dec 07, 2016
Cassava bread started under OBJ you liar

1 Like

Re: Akinwunmi Adesina: We Were Mocked For 'Cassava Bread’, Now Everyone Eats It by koboko69: 8:53am On Dec 07, 2016
PapaBrowne:

Yep. That's the beautiful point. You will never have to hear of it, but you've been eating it for over 3 years now.

My mum owns a large bakery, so I should know. All flour now comes with at least 10℅ cassava substitute.

If I told you there is Potato flour inside the Poundo yam you eat would you know?

So 10% cassava makes it cassava bread? Ok na
Re: Akinwunmi Adesina: We Were Mocked For 'Cassava Bread’, Now Everyone Eats It by Lilimax(f): 8:55am On Dec 07, 2016
All I know is that any pre-grounded food material out there in the market has
a form of filler inside although the levels differ.
Be it ground pepper, ogbono, crayfish, poundo yam, wheat, Semovita etc
You hardly get any with 100% purity except the one you grind yourself embarassed

1 Like

Re: Akinwunmi Adesina: We Were Mocked For 'Cassava Bread’, Now Everyone Eats It by Mayflowa(m): 8:56am On Dec 07, 2016
Keneking:
Cassava bread for pizza abi
Cassava bread for sandwich abi
Cassava bread for burger abi

Useless government

Actually, cassava flour could do all that or a huge part of it.
Re: Akinwunmi Adesina: We Were Mocked For 'Cassava Bread’, Now Everyone Eats It by dingbang(m): 8:58am On Dec 07, 2016
abeg I never see am for market
Re: Akinwunmi Adesina: We Were Mocked For 'Cassava Bread’, Now Everyone Eats It by Jephz(m): 9:06am On Dec 07, 2016
alcmene:
Akinwunmi Adesina, former minister of agriculture, says the Goodluck Jonathan administration was mocked for introducing cassava flour and bread, which he claims all Nigerians now eat.

Speaking at the African Economic Conference in Abuja on Monday, Adesina said Africa must work on feeding itself and the world via import substitution.

“When I was minister in Nigeria, we moved aggressively on import substitution with use of cassava flour for use as composite flours in bread making and confectionery industries,” he said.

“People laughed us to scorn: Nigerians, they said, would never eat bread made from cassava flour. Well, unknown to Nigerians, flour millers, small, medium and large, have now all shifted to partial substitution of wheat flour with cassava composite flours.

“Don’t look for ‘cassava bread’, all your bread is now cassava composite flour-based. The industry has shifted. The story is not just in Nigeria. As we speak, several countries have taken the homegrown policy in Nigeria to help reduce their wheat imports, including Liberia, Togo and Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).”

He said a “young graduate, Noel, from Bukavu in Democratic Republic of Congo, together with his colleagues, have moved into agribusiness. In just a little over one year, they manufacture cassava flour, well-packaged and standardised for bakers”.

“Today, Noel and his team 4 generate income of $4,000 per week, or $16,000 a month, or $196,000 per year. That means they are making over N78 million annually if converted into naira at the official interbank market rate. They are already multi-millionaires.

“He that has ears let him hear: The key to Africa’s prosperity is value addition in agriculture, in turning our products to money, in looking inwards. Africa must feed itself.”

Adesina said to take new agricultural technologies to scale, AfDB will soon be launching a new $800 million initiative – Technologies for African Agricultural Transformation (TAAT) – with the goal of reaching 40 million farmers over ten years.

He said the bank would invest $24 billion in agriculture and agribusiness over the next ten years.

https://www.thecable.ng/akinwunmi-adesina-we-were-mocked-for-it-but-everyone-now-eats-cassava-bread?utm_source=nnd&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=nnd
stupid cassava flour bread... I dey i hate it
Re: Akinwunmi Adesina: We Were Mocked For 'Cassava Bread’, Now Everyone Eats It by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 9:07am On Dec 07, 2016
Lilimax:
All I know is that any pre-grounded food material out there in the market has
a form of filler inside although the levels differ.
Be it ground pepper, ogbono, crayfish, poundo yam, wheat, Semovita etc
You hardly get any with 100% purity except the one you grind yourself embarassed

the reason is because these people are not literate.

if a biochemist or a microbiologist was the one preparing these food stuff you listed, there would have been a huge difference.
Re: Akinwunmi Adesina: We Were Mocked For 'Cassava Bread’, Now Everyone Eats It by Nobody: 9:13am On Dec 07, 2016
thesicilian:
Who is 'everyone'? Never even heard of cassava bread.
Really! Probably you weren't current
Re: Akinwunmi Adesina: We Were Mocked For 'Cassava Bread’, Now Everyone Eats It by Lilimax(f): 9:16am On Dec 07, 2016
VeeVeeMyLuv:

the reason is because these people are not literate.

if a biochemist or a microbiologist was the one preparing these food stuff you listed, there would have been a huge difference.
I beg to disagree cos being literate has nothing to do with this. It is even the literate ones that are the culprit in adulteration.
A situation where grounded 'gworo' Kolanut is added into pepper as a filler is disheartening embarassed
People are just out there to reap off on others just to make money at all cost shocked
Re: Akinwunmi Adesina: We Were Mocked For 'Cassava Bread’, Now Everyone Eats It by grownaira: 9:17am On Dec 07, 2016
Good if true
Re: Akinwunmi Adesina: We Were Mocked For 'Cassava Bread’, Now Everyone Eats It by thesicilian: 9:20am On Dec 07, 2016
asuustrike2009:

Really! Probably you weren't current
Lol. Don't mind me. I was just eating bread without knowing what I was actually eating. Especially those Agege bread self wey no dey get label.
Re: Akinwunmi Adesina: We Were Mocked For 'Cassava Bread’, Now Everyone Eats It by Sibrah: 9:21am On Dec 07, 2016
juman:
I think the idea of cassava bread was brought by obasanjo, but I dont remember if actually the bakers were using cassava also to make bread during his time.

Obasanjo was too unserious to achieve anything significant in his time just like buhari is also very unserious.
He promoted it during Jo's time but I can't remember him promoting it during his time.
Re: Akinwunmi Adesina: We Were Mocked For 'Cassava Bread’, Now Everyone Eats It by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 9:24am On Dec 07, 2016
Lilimax:

I beg to disagree cos being literate has nothing to do with this. It is even the literate ones that are the culprit in adulteration.
A situation where grounded 'gworo' Kolanut is added into pepper as a filler is disheartening embarassed
People are just out there to reap off on others just to make money at all cost shocked
oops! my bad.
i did not grasp what you were trying to say.

i quoted you out of context.

but on the flip side, the professionals i mentioned are trained quality controllers. they are the ones who are supposed to be running every aspect of the nations food industry instead of market women.

2 Likes

Re: Akinwunmi Adesina: We Were Mocked For 'Cassava Bread’, Now Everyone Eats It by thesicilian: 9:25am On Dec 07, 2016
cjrane:
Buhari's style would have been to issue order that all bread must come from cassava and launch operation chicken smile to arrest anyone not following his order.

In the end, nothing comes out of the sham except enriching soldiers who would be arresting and bailing poor people for eating or selling wheat bread.
Operation Chicken Smile ke? Hahahaha
Re: Akinwunmi Adesina: We Were Mocked For 'Cassava Bread’, Now Everyone Eats It by dee02(m): 9:27am On Dec 07, 2016
Topman Akinwunmi Adesina....... Did extremely well, a lotta idio..ts out there berated him purely because he was in GEJ's cabinet!
Yes GEJ was an inept and ineffectual buffoon but he had some good guys in his cabinet, who had a bloody clue!

1 Like

Re: Akinwunmi Adesina: We Were Mocked For 'Cassava Bread’, Now Everyone Eats It by CSTR13: 9:31am On Dec 07, 2016
Aigbofa:

Thanks to Obasanjo, it was OBJ initiative.
OBJ didn't do shitt. He just talked about it.
Afonja.

2 Likes

Re: Akinwunmi Adesina: We Were Mocked For 'Cassava Bread’, Now Everyone Eats It by CSTR13: 9:36am On Dec 07, 2016
When you compare this adesina with the current audu ogbeh, you don't need a prophet to tell you that Nigeria has undegone a massive downgrade in government.
It plays out in virtually every ministerial portfolio comparism.
The likes of Ngozi okonjo iweala, Aganga and adeshina blow their current replacement out of the water completely.
The only place i have seen an uncharatersistic upgrade in the buhari administration is Ibe kachukwu.
Ibe kachukwu is the most functional minister in the buhari cabinet.

1 Like

Re: Akinwunmi Adesina: We Were Mocked For 'Cassava Bread’, Now Everyone Eats It by Almand: 9:40am On Dec 07, 2016
tuniski:

And obj is party of apc's 16yrs of growth abi?
Obj conceived it but GEJ promoted it. APC laughed at the concept. I joined in the laughing too because it was at that time that north Korea kid was launching a rocket. I felt it was an under achievement but they tried. at least we have some thing to call our own. if Buhari had any sense at all, he will be looking for the good in GEJ's government.

3 Likes

Re: Akinwunmi Adesina: We Were Mocked For 'Cassava Bread’, Now Everyone Eats It by Guyman02: 9:52am On Dec 07, 2016
Almost every baker in Nigeria now adds Cassava to Wheat flour to maximize profit, but some supermarkets still sell purely Cassava bread.
Re: Akinwunmi Adesina: We Were Mocked For 'Cassava Bread’, Now Everyone Eats It by Nobody: 9:55am On Dec 07, 2016
Splashme:

See,Olodo, all the flour millers in the country today mix a certain percentage of Cassava
flour to their wheat flour before selling to the bakers. Any bread you eat in Nigeria today
contains part cassava and part wheat flour.

xxxxxx . . . Thanks to GEJ
can you prove this?
Re: Akinwunmi Adesina: We Were Mocked For 'Cassava Bread’, Now Everyone Eats It by Guyman02: 9:56am On Dec 07, 2016
thesicilian:

Ignoramus, you just go out there and buy bread and eat without knowing that virtually every bread baker in Nigeria uses mixture of Cassava and wheat. Gerrarahia!
Re: Akinwunmi Adesina: We Were Mocked For 'Cassava Bread’, Now Everyone Eats It by Nobody: 9:56am On Dec 07, 2016
obaaderemi:
Everybody is eating it.flour millers now mix cassava flour with wheat flour.everybody even shoprite bread.THe bread u ate 2day has cassava in it.
cab you prove it?

Plus why did bread become too expensive then? Are we importing cassava?
Re: Akinwunmi Adesina: We Were Mocked For 'Cassava Bread’, Now Everyone Eats It by EmeeNaka: 10:02am On Dec 07, 2016
juman:
I think the idea of cassava bread was brought by obasanjo, but I dont remember if actually the bakers were using cassava also to make bread during his time.

Obasanjo was too unserious to achieve anything significant in his time just like buhari is also very unserious.
Every achievement of Jonathan, zombies will mock but later will come back to give the credit to OBJ. It's so easy to hate zombies and Afonja.
Re: Akinwunmi Adesina: We Were Mocked For 'Cassava Bread’, Now Everyone Eats It by Genea(f): 10:08am On Dec 07, 2016
OAUTemitayo:
Where is the bread?
You is OK?? (Jennifer)
lolx
Re: Akinwunmi Adesina: We Were Mocked For 'Cassava Bread’, Now Everyone Eats It by omonnakoda: 10:10am On Dec 07, 2016
CSTR13:
When you compare this adesina with the current audu ogbeh, you don't need a prophet to tell you that Nigeria has undegone a massive downgrade in government.
It plays out in virtually every ministerial portfolio comparism.
The likes of Ngozi okonjo iweala, Aganga and adeshina blow their current replacement out of the water completely.
The only place i have seen an uncharatersistic upgrade in the buhari administration is Ibe kachukwu.
Ibe kachukwu is the most functional minister in the buhari cabinet.
The "likes of" what exactly are they like? The only thing they can be judged by is the results and as far as results go Ngozi Okonjo Iweala was a disaster on every front. In her first budget she superintended the New Year day oil price increase to Nigerians which was premised on fraudulent subsidy figures and claims. What did she achieve nothing.She took Nigeria into debt again barely 4 years after OBJ had paid it off and she superintended the unappropriated expenses of the GEJ government,borrowing to buy arms, sending money to South Africa in Oritsejafor's plane and she spent yes spent the Excess Crude Account money without appropriation and then shirked responsibility for that telling Nigerians it was the governors that made her to spend it. That story will only persuade the foolish.
First the FGN share or the account was 52% and the governors were entitled to ask for theirs. Where is the FGN's 52% . It should never have been spent for two reasons: One it was not appropriated since the budget was based on the benchmark price for oil and spending it needed a supplementary budget and two we should have been saving it anyway.

Under her watch we had the highest oil price and revenue in our history. No Nigerian finance minister has ever had more money than Ngozi Okonjo Iweala. What does she have to show for it in employment or infrastructure?
NOTHING!! The woman was a disaster under a president that was a calamity.

So spare us the hype ,she does not have the capacity for political office or to solve the problems we have. Her track record is as an employee of foreign financial institutions.The only thing she has demonstrated conclusively is that whatever skills she may have had in her previous role they did not transfer to the role of Finance Minister in Nigeria. She is good working as an employee implementing other peoples' ideas under clear leadership in an entity like the World Bank but useless as a Minister required to set the agenda and provide leadership and ideas
She failed just like Jonathan her Oga.
Re: Akinwunmi Adesina: We Were Mocked For 'Cassava Bread’, Now Everyone Eats It by blackprowler: 10:14am On Dec 07, 2016
Kolade9:
Then how come the price of bread went up?

Not just up but by double in 18 months. I have a weighing scale at home and I can measure down to 1g. I've stopped buying small bread because the cheating is too much. I now buy one called MyJoy (in Ibadan) which has recently gone from 250 to 270 but is best value per gram. I eat it for up to 5 days at times. Nigerian leaders have all failed. Nothing they ever do translates to a better life on ground

1 Like

Re: Akinwunmi Adesina: We Were Mocked For 'Cassava Bread’, Now Everyone Eats It by gmacnoms(m): 10:23am On Dec 07, 2016
thesicilian:
dat bread make sense well well o. It used to be sold in uniben around 2009/2010. U can't finished #50's because of d weight. I loved it den because of it being a Nigerian produce. Don't know why it was stopped though
Re: Akinwunmi Adesina: We Were Mocked For 'Cassava Bread’, Now Everyone Eats It by mfm04622: 10:33am On Dec 07, 2016
Splashme:

See,Olodo, all the flour millers in the country today mix a certain percentage of Cassava
flour to their wheat flour before selling to the bakers. Any bread you eat in Nigeria today
contains part cassava and part wheat flour.

xxxxxx . . . Thanks to GEJ

Thanks for OBJ who introduced it. Thank also to the weak Naira that made stubborn flour millers accept using cassava flour to reduce cost
Re: Akinwunmi Adesina: We Were Mocked For 'Cassava Bread’, Now Everyone Eats It by mfm04622: 10:37am On Dec 07, 2016
MetaHuman:
cab you prove it?

Plus why did bread become too expensive then? Are we importing cassava?

Am not sure, but I think the maximum percentage of Cassava flour can't be more than 10% before it becomes noticeable. So imported wheat flour is still the main component of flour we use in Nigeria. With weak Naira make everything we import expensive
Re: Akinwunmi Adesina: We Were Mocked For 'Cassava Bread’, Now Everyone Eats It by Martinola(m): 10:38am On Dec 07, 2016
wat is cassava bread? i can tell dis man probably av nt even tasted it b4...bullcrap

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Gani Mohammed Ajowa Walks Out Of Radio Debate With Leye Igbagbo / A Glimpse Into The 72-Page Manifesto Released By Peter Obi (Screenshots) / Photo: Handover Of Electoral Materials In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.