Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,840 members, 7,810,237 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:23 AM

Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase - Phones (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase (27964 Views)

FG approves Tax Reduction For Telecom Firms / FG Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase / NCC Suspends Data Price Increase (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by TITOBIGZ(m): 9:13am On Dec 07, 2016
3rdavefarms:
Increase it all and make this government more harder ... Those that voted for change will not have change again in Jesus name

E wo lepe. gringrin
Re: Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by nasiodamus(m): 9:18am On Dec 07, 2016
I don't undastand dis government,soon data will be come a luxury for elites,why can't dey provide reduced tax or tax holidays for dese startups..if dey push for increase have dey thought of other startup enterprises who rely heavily on internet usage (cyber cafe and co).foreign countries internet cost are almost free,how do dey encourage deir startups dere?...you can't just sit in an office and use ur 80's economics.nah to put CAP on prices. Fuel peg price,dollar peg price,rice peg price,bride price peg, wetin.soon even d air we breathe will have a peg price.

1 Like

Re: Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by 4peace(m): 9:18am On Dec 07, 2016
d33types:

I'm sorry, you don't understand at all. MTN and co didn't say they're not making profits despite the electricity burden.
The issue is trying to indirectly favour the new and seemingly incompetent entrants.

chigoizie7:
This is what happens when u collect bribe and grant license to incompetent investors.
Investors that has absolutely nothing to offer other than to milk the already suffering economy dry.
They have succeeded in coarcing NCC and the useless minister into making the people they were created to protect to suffer.
MTN,AIRtEL,GLO and Etisalat are big companies that knows the importance of customers and competition, they are ever ready take challenges. Why bring in "baby company" that can't spell it's name to come and compete/play with elders? Then u want to bring down the reasoning capacity of the elders so that the kid can be accommodated, what u simply did was bring down everybody down to the child's reasoning, it is not good, because instead of making us progressive, it makes room for retrogression .
Allow them to be mature and strong enough to paly with the elder or u push them to children section(other countries) where they will meet their age mates.

Must of you dont even know the small or new entry they are talking about talkless understand the principle behind the new rate.

FYI
They are Smile,Ntel,Spectranet,Swift and other 4G internet provider.

Here is the catch,they enjoyed their base until major telecom provider join 4G train.
So will i subscribe to smile and others when my 2,500 for 10Gb on glo which i can use on 4G network is there for me.(Lailai)

If govt want to do the right,increasing data rate across the board is not the option(Whoever suggested that should be shot grin with immediate effect) rather they should set data price for 4G data across the board.Airtel try 2g data only subscription and it worked.So why not do same with 4G instead disturbing my peace.

We can all see the reason AIRTEl support the petition someone created thru change.org last month because they yet to have 4G network.

IMO
Sorry for my bad English lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by MrEverest(m): 9:19am On Dec 07, 2016
timbros:
This man keep referring to the days of NITEL. How many operators were in existence then?

I still don't get it. So NCC is more interested in the protection of the so called smaller operators than the over 170 million consumers nationwide?

This is absolutely disgusting.
Disgusting is an understatement bro. The masses are treated like garbage, it is audible to the deaf and visible to the blind that NCC is doing a hatchet job, indeed, its a script written by Lai Mohamed, directed by Buhari and acted by NCC for the ulterior motive of making data inaccessible to majority of Nigerians so they wont have the platform to question the government of the day on their apparent abysmal performance! This is a desperate attempt to forcefully silence us or atleast reduce the bedlam that is becoming too vociferous for their comfort. They're are trying to pre-empt a likely mass revolt by the first quarter of next year when things would have become terrible for the masses!

1 Like

Re: Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by john650(m): 9:23am On Dec 07, 2016
timbros:
This man keep referring to the days of NITEL. How many operators were in existence then?

I still don't get it. So NCC is more interested in the protection of the so called smaller operators than the over 170 million consumers nationwide?

NCC is working for the small operators, who are probably the same crooked politicians that have brought this country to its knees.

If the small operators cannot compete, they should exit the industry. We don't need Small operators who we have to support through price increases. There is no floor price on any goods we buy in the market. Why should we have to pay a floor price for telecommunication.

NCC, another crooked government agency with misplaced priorities.

1 Like

Re: Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by Xano(m): 9:34am On Dec 07, 2016
interesting
if you two read well, you would understand what I wrote. Read through before you reply(quote), its not impulse quote.

d33types:

I'm sorry, you don't understand at all. MTN and co didn't say they're not making profits despite the electricity burden.
The issue is trying to indirectly favour the new and seemingly incompetent entrants.

idupaul:

I doubt if you read the article
Re: Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by Wiseandtrue(f): 9:34am On Dec 07, 2016
candy:
Is it our fault that the government has failed to provide favorable operating conditions for telecos? If the operators, despite the harsh operating conditions are willing to sell below 0.90k, why will NCC discourage them from doing so?

Are the consumers themselves not already overburdened with tax, lack of stable electricity, delayed/unpaid salaries? Who now protects us, if NCC protects the smaller operators by allowing a benchmark price of 0.90k, even when the likes of Airtel are willing to go as low as 0.46k?

Are the new/smaller operators they seek to protect not aware of these harsh economic realities before choosing to invest here? I think they should instead look for heavy investors to help them compete with the big guns in the industry.

I still don't see NCC's point. Let the market dictate the price!
That Dambatta abi na wetin him call himself if he pulls through with what he is demanding he would soon join his ancestors because we are tired of all these their oppression.
Show me one business that does not have a competition
Even in the market shocked

If it is not favourable to them they will not lower the price and if any other operator cannot cope then what are they looking for in telecommunications

If NCC function is to speak for smaller operators then who is to speak for the masses

Yeye people initially they said it will affect the quality, Nigerians said they will cope now they are fighting for smaller operators

Dambatta or whatever your name is NIGERIANS are waiting for you oooo

1 Like

Re: Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by chymer(m): 9:50am On Dec 07, 2016
recapitalization and merger are still words we use in business. why can't the small operators merge with each other, to compete with the big operators. this our govt keep robbing its citizens to pay foreign companies in the name of providing a level playing ground abi? when mtn decides to ship billions of dollar out of Nigeria to their head office, then, you still see the same people talking nonsense. they kept talking about epileptic power supply as if is our fault, the citizens.
am I getting different kind of power supply while they the telcos get another?
I pay my utility bills, even when I got it or not. why will that be a reason my govt to deep its hands into my pocket, steal my money, and dump it on their laps of the telcos in the name of a level playing field.
it beats me!
Re: Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by MrEverest(m): 9:52am On Dec 07, 2016
freemanbubble:
are we progressing or retrogressing in this country?
imagine the stupid excuse. it is obvious that Ncc have been compromised. if they feel for Telcos's who will feel the pain of the masses.
the last time I checked we don't have regular electricity at home. there is no increment in salaries despite the fact that price of goods are on the increase. no security. who will compensate the masses.
am beginning to feel that this administration is confused.
If despite many anti people policies this present government have implemented, you are just "beginning" to feel it, then I'm not surprised. These evil rulers knows that no matter the level of wickedness they force down our throats, that there will still be hordes of zombies singing their praises even as they match us to golgotha! They will probably stop treating us harshly, the moment they discover that there is nobody supporting them!!
Re: Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by Nobody: 9:58am On Dec 07, 2016
who are the small operatives that the ncc is trying to favour at the expense of the masses.
Re: Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by latissimusDorsi: 10:03am On Dec 07, 2016
Hellooooo!!!
Someone should please tell him that the small telecom companies should make their network good and data service good and cheap too, then let them watch how Nigerians will patronise them. This people should mind themselves with this their issue of price hike o angry
Re: Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by logicab: 10:13am On Dec 07, 2016
d33types:

I'm sure you heard that Danjuma is the Chairman of MTEL. Aha.
Re: Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by musicwriter(m): 10:16am On Dec 07, 2016
Xano:
To an extent, I understand the Minister's explanation. The issue of electricity is the main challenge for Telecom Companies. Daily usage of Diesel generators are quite expensive, erodes on their profit, affect staff welfare to some extent, delays their infrastructure upgrade,etc.

But Honorable Minister knows the issue of Electricity is the Government's responsibility.

They should promote Nigeria.

Make Nigeria attractive to investors.

Stop incitement and lies which they've been doing. You don't, use mouth to, among others incite, aggravate, spread lies, then, use the mouth to try and promote a country; your audience know the truth.

Government should involve seasoned professionals, give them liberty to help; not via nepotism or tribal or religious means.

If they(Government) choose not to be better, decide to increase price of mobile data, in addition to other increase of basic amenities, security issue would be their top priority.

There's nothing meaningful in the minister's explanation. Fortunately, I watched the senate hearing live yesterday on channels TV and what I saw clearly was a man trying so hard to defend a huge bribe he must have collected from the telcos. Everything he said was irrational, even the electricity excuse. The fact that price was falling even with the bad electricity situation means the telcos can deal with it and still make profit. So, they've proved they can.

In Japan and in many South East Asian countries there's persistent earthquakes that destroy power and telecom installations. How many MTN installation has been destroyed by earthquake?

In Alaska, Russia, Mongolia and all the other climes their own problem is ice, igloos that literally block installations to a halt. How many times did ice bring down a GLO installation?

You have heard of tsunamis sweeping a whole city and everything on it's way in Asia. How many times did a tsunami sweep an etisalat installation?

Of course, corruption means the NCC would provide enebling environment for price increase, then technically deny it. Do you really want the NCC to admit the goal is to increase data price?

3 Likes

Re: Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by FLYFIRE(m): 10:22am On Dec 07, 2016
When we said on the onset that Buhari the I.DIOT will take Nigeria back MANY years some people thought we were just being nasty.
Re: Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by aphixiano(m): 10:36am On Dec 07, 2016
Can anyone just tell this useless man to recieve sense, cos all the reason he was saying as to why they have to increase it doesn't make sense in any way
Re: Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by nwamehn: 10:39am On Dec 07, 2016
timbros:

Na so, NCC people haven't yet told us what special business they have with these so-called smaller operators.
Monopoly my foot!!!
Re: Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by BirabilPaul(m): 10:46am On Dec 07, 2016
i will give them Nigeria Telecom Avengers. Bombing all the available satellite transmitters
Re: Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by mbjsuki(m): 10:48am On Dec 07, 2016
These excuses are not tenable but rather gratuitous and lame one.
At the rate this people are going,very soon, you'll ask that landlords should increase our house rate and also demand that we pay for other flimsy rates all to cover up their ineptitude and lack of vision to drive the economy.
It's left for us the masses to either accept this or kick against it. They can't keep insulting our intelligence. Enough is enough.
They can't possibly make things harder than this, for christ sake.
Re: Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by marv1: 10:55am On Dec 07, 2016
Why on earth will a lawyer be a minister for telecom. He denied it b4 now he is singing another tune. Wicked minister and his pay master. We must rise against this and say no to this nonsense.
Re: Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by marv1: 10:56am On Dec 07, 2016
Why on earth will a lawyer be a minister for telecom. He denied it b4 now he is singing another tune. Dullard and Wicked minister and his pay master.
Re: Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by charloski(m): 11:11am On Dec 07, 2016
The world is going Mobile and Digital everyday and IoT.... and our dullard Head of state is here trying to increase cost.

Re: Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by emeka7(m): 11:13am On Dec 07, 2016
i no blame you bz you get portfolio.
Re: Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by Jossyroyal1: 11:40am On Dec 07, 2016
timbros:

Are u sure they dont own interest in this smaller operators
Re: Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by achems: 11:51am On Dec 07, 2016
mek una lead us well, no let dis nation to fall inside wel MR BUHARI.confused government from top to the grassroot,thunder fire bad leaders.AMEN somebody.

Re: Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by ernieboy(m): 11:58am On Dec 07, 2016
How can the minister insinuate that we will go back to Nitel days when there are four dominant players in the market? whatever happened to letting market forces dictate price?
Re: Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by pchukwudi: 12:36pm On Dec 07, 2016
They are lying my dear. They have been lobbied (read bribed) to protect the interest of their sidekicks.

You don't checkmate monopoly by controling prices.

If those so called small companies do not have enough capital to operate profitably they should get the hell out of the industry. And if any monopoly eventually emerges, the government can THEN force it to split itself into multiple independent companies.

What this silly folks fail to realise is that for every lazy company they try to protect, there are 100 (if not 1000) self-employed and hardworking Nigerians whose businesses will be destroyed with this ill-fated and greed-driven data increase.

The small companies should consolidate their assets to compete, or they should get out. Lobbying for price control is a huge crime against the populace.

candy:
Is it our fault that the government has failed to provide favorable operating conditions for telecos? If the operators, despite the harsh operating conditions are willing to sell below 0.90k, why will NCC discourage them from doing so?

Are the consumers themselves not already overburdened with tax, lack of stable electricity, delayed/unpaid salaries? Who now protects us, if NCC protects the smaller operators by allowing a benchmark price of 0.90k, even when the likes of Airtel are willing to go as low as 0.46k?

Are the new/smaller operators they seek to protect not aware of these harsh economic realities before choosing to invest here? I think they should instead look for heavy investors to help them compete with the big guns in the industry.

Re: Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by Nobody: 1:10pm On Dec 07, 2016
Tell the small companies to do another business n leave telecom business alone na by force to get network ni?
Re: Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by flistyl(m): 1:47pm On Dec 07, 2016
Ahmed0336:
I am not understanding undecided

one of the idiotic politrician that is in need of urgent medical attention in the closest psychiatric hospital, said that the price of data should be increased in order to a create favorable ground/environment for foreign investor. The man is just too stupid

Re: Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by Irepib(m): 2:57pm On Dec 07, 2016
What are we enjoying in this crippled government very useless country
Re: Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by holluphemydavid(m): 3:22pm On Dec 07, 2016
dats part of the change dey promised us shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by Kaybaba5(m): 4:26pm On Dec 07, 2016
candy:

Re: Minister Advises Nigerians To Brace For Telecom Data Price Increase by notoriousbabe: 4:42pm On Dec 07, 2016
Awon eleribu gbogbo. Ka da fun yin lai

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Are Apple's iPhones More Expensive Than Most Other Smartphones? / Facebook To Delete Your Synced Photos By July 7th - See Why / Get Etisalat Data Plan.. 2gb For N2000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.