Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,096 members, 7,811,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:43 PM

Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! (39090 Views)

More Trouble In Buhari Camp: Buhari’s Men Subdue Amaechi, Initiates Probe / Dino Melaye To SARS: "I Will Kill Myself And Put You People In Trouble" / Governor Wike Views Port-Harcourt City From A Helicopter (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by wiseguy(m): 2:13pm On Dec 08, 2016
This is coming from Indorama Eleme Fertilizer plant which started work few month ago. It used to be mild. Only noticed by those living near the petrochemical complex but now it's getting worse and spreading far. Indians are known to have the worst safety and environmental record in the world. My neighbors son works there so I have an insider info. The Govt should do something b4 the Indians will kill all of us.

4 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by BusinessAnalyst: 2:14pm On Dec 08, 2016
This should not be attributed to climate change but just an imprint of environmental pollution. Climate change can only be noted after a decade (10 years) of occurrence. Nevertheless, this is very dangerous to health. It darkens the lung and liver and ultimately lead to cancer. Many tonnes of it inhaled over time causes serious health issues.

Where does it come from? It's not a rock science; it's from pollution of the environment through burning of fossil fuel (hydrocarbon) which can ultimately be from the activities of pipeline vandalism, illegal oil refinery, fertilizer/battery production or uncensored activities of the oil companies.

Let it be known today that, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction and for every choice, there is a consequence. Say no to pipeline vandalism and illegal oil bunkering. Every agitation should be pursued legally not endangering the life of many generations.
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by oracle009(m): 2:17pm On Dec 08, 2016
Why are some people so daft? Salient environmental issues were raised and some started tribalising it.

My Professional Opinion as an Ecologist:
1. From the pictures I have seen and the eye witnesses, there is a need for environmental evaluations. We need to test the:
a. Air (for heavy metals, carbon and other green house gases)
b. The available water bodies (Same as above)
c. Soil samples (Top soil)
e. Plant samples (diff plants and crops)
f. Human hair, scrape of the skin, and other necessary ones to test for pollution.

The above tests will give us a vivid picture of what pollutants we are dealing with. Thus, we will be able to trace the source point by profiling the magnitude of pollution. It will also afford us to know the extent of pollution and the remedies to be applied.

MY HYPOTHESIS:
1. The only profile we have is the physical profile of colour, taste, texture, solubility etc. Matching these with chemistry of comound, it is hypothesised that:
a. This is from Combustion of Carbon (incomplete) or a carbon dumping site
b. Oil pipe vandalism is not the DIRECT culprit
c. Bio- chemical remediation is the way out... (natural rejuvenation, silver nitrate tears etc)
d. Harmattan dry wind only exposed this age long pollution. It is not new
e. We can control the pollution and give PH city a better atmosphere.

Thanks

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by IamISRAEL(m): 2:18pm On Dec 08, 2016
ok
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by Abiagirl777(f): 2:18pm On Dec 08, 2016
TheTrueSeeker:

First in Rumuodara, along Okporo Rd and then I moved to Woji

Aww,the mistake you made cos my family moved out from woji this Yr sept after we became uncomfortable. While I was preggy,I always perceived this uncomfortable pungent smell especially at dawn ,which my husby confirmed was from refinery coupled with the black soot ish.
Though its the same here but its less compared to the Woji one.we miss Woji light though.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by alaskido(m): 2:20pm On Dec 08, 2016
This has been going on for years. I first noticed it in 2011. It comes from NOTORE the fertilizer company in ONNE and our Petrochemical company by ELEME and close to AKPAJO. Ameachi and Wike will not address this issue instead they are at each others throat. 2 brothers fighting over power that absolutely belongs to GOD.

2 Likes

Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by MrCyril(m): 2:33pm On Dec 08, 2016
toprealman:
20 different locations at leat will be needed for the next line of action. Pls quote me with your location.
Rumuodara
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by Emmenyk(m): 2:43pm On Dec 08, 2016
megainvest:
Thank you very much OP. I have noticed this myself for quite some time now. If you are in Port Harcourt and still think this is a joke, try this:

Use a piece of tissue paper or your handkerchief to wipe the insides of your nostrils gently. You will likely find these particles on it.

Lets make this thread go viral. We need answers!

confirmed, Odili Road
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by Exciton(m): 2:48pm On Dec 08, 2016
As expected from a nation without good education and research institutes, everyone is just guessing and talking crap.

Basic mass spectrometry and spectrophotometric techniques will tell you what it is as well as the average particle size. But, of course, we've got no equipment. Hopefully, it won't be heavy metals PM 2.5.

I don't even think there's any agency in Naija that measures air quality levels across our cities. We just dey breathe in and breath out grin grin

Anyways, since we lack the knowledge and skill, keep praying for your ever reliant magical god to help the nation (like he always does. Lol) and enjoy your polluted environment with shitty AQI.

It's the kids I pity.

3 Likes

Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by eeedhowhuHaybel(m): 2:50pm On Dec 08, 2016
This is very true and i am very worried about this recent development. First i noticed that the nets on my windows are with large volume of this black thing wen i was cleaning the other day. that drew my attention to my mosquito net inside the bedroom; it has literately changed color to black and i didnt notice. Same for my Towel. its sad that i am presently at work i would have shared pictures. I initially thought that it was soothe from the thick smoke coming from the activities at a nearby slaughter not until i noticed the same thing wen i went to church on sunday. Every piece of furniture, plastic chairs and even musical instruments were all covered in this same black substance. The other day I observed that my little boy who was having running nose had dis very black type of catarrh. The authorities should please do something fast before we all die silently.

2 Likes

Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by NoToPile: 2:54pm On Dec 08, 2016
Reading these comments make me shiver.

1 Like

Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by erocorp01: 2:55pm On Dec 08, 2016
yarimo:
hahahahahahhahahahahaha please don't kill me with laugh abeg grin. A fool always no his fellow FOOl

I kw ur type...I made d mistake of letting u drag me down to ur level as a fool whc u are..because u would beat me with experience. U dnt even understand d gravity of a spoken word. Ervytin is funi even wen one insults ur mother. U would still grin
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by TheTrueSeeker: 3:00pm On Dec 08, 2016
Abiagirl777:

Aww,the mistake you made cos my family moved out from woji this Yr sept after we became uncomfortable. While I was preggy,I always perceived this uncomfortable pungent smell especially at dawn ,which my husby confirmed was from refinery coupled with the black soot ish.
Though its the same here but its less compared to the Woji one.we miss Woji light though.

What part of town did you move to then? My wife is also pregnant and she always complains in the morning of blocked nostrils. She registered at the Obio Cottage Hospital own by Shell so I wanted her to be close to that axis. Secondly as you rightly noted, the light situation in Woji seem to be better than Rumuodara
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by MONITZ: 3:03pm On Dec 08, 2016
yarimo:
kikakihuhuha you just make me to be laughing in your local village language

E pain u Desist from making comments with no meanings because it says a lot about u.. Heed this advice OK.So how re u??....I hope u re gonna take this piece?It will do u some good... Tk care and ve a nice day..
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by Doncute(m): 3:15pm On Dec 08, 2016
yarimo:
Silly kid keep on asking stupid question,don't go out and confirm what is happening. Keep on sitting in your dirty toilet and to be posting idiotic comments grin

Wld u shut d hell up. Who told u nairaland can't help. Do u think there are no bio chemists here dah stay in portharcourt and have also noticed d stuff. Do u think research has not already been carried out. U wld not use ur God given brain to think. Aniways back to d topic, am not in Poetharcourt buh its good u brought it up here so dah serious thought wld be given to this environmental menace. Nice work.
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by Olabestonic001(m): 3:24pm On Dec 08, 2016
DerideGull:

Most Nigerians are daftly moronic. Is there any proof that the "black stuff" is linked to Avenger's blowing up the pipelines? The alleged "black stuff" could have come from burnt tires or other sources.

No sir!
While serving in Gokana some 3 yrs ago, our rain water was always the same thing; black like charcoal. The truth is, govt really neglected PHC and the Avengers actually brought the doomsday closer to the city more. However, what we need now is to collectively rally round PHC and drop the Afonja, Igbos toga. Its time to save Port Harcourt City!

2 Likes

Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by 0kp0nku: 3:24pm On Dec 08, 2016
I noticed it on my ceiling fan. I cleaned it and within a week, it was filled with thick black soothe again. It usually takes about 3 months for my ceiling fan to accumulate such amount of soothe in the past.

1 Like

Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by zmtoz: 3:25pm On Dec 08, 2016
i think it is been cause by poo- fire...those that are into local refinery of stolen crude oil.
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by emiarire(f): 3:31pm On Dec 08, 2016
This is a very serious issue and i think a pic or two will help in further propagating the info esp 4 those dat r nt in PH. Also dis should be forwarded to other social media outlets n channels tv also.
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by Nobody: 3:33pm On Dec 08, 2016
MrCyril:
TROUBLE IN PORTHARCOURT CITY!!

Please, all PHC resident:
Have you all noticed
that thick black soothes are all over Portharcourt - even inside the homes- the sole of your feet is very black and we inhale quantities everyday.

Early in the morning your cars are all covered with the same thick soothes.

Nobody seem to be saying anything about it.

Please, my people, what is going on? Could it be that a company is messing up the environment so massively and threatening our survival and we don't seem to know and care?

I am worried.

Let's push this until it gets to the appropriate quarters for answers and solutions

You're absolutely right.It's getting close to a week now since I noticed it.Something is obviously wrong.I think we should report to niger info on 92.3 Fm so they could forward it to the appropriate quarters.I really commend you for been observant.

1 Like

Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by deliveryboy: 3:34pm On Dec 08, 2016
MrCyril:

Have you all noticed
that thick black soothes are all over Portharcourt - even inside the homes- the sole of your feet is very black and we inhale quantities everyday.

Please, my people, what is going on? Could it be that a company is messing up the environment so massively and threatening our survival and we don't seem to know and care?

I am worried.

Let's push this until it gets to the appropriate quarters for answers and solutions

I noticed there is always black sooth on walls from the time I moved to Port Harcourt. I believe it is becoming more serious.

1 Like

Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by engrobidigbo: 3:36pm On Dec 08, 2016
Abiagirl777:

The awful smell you got daily is from Eleme Petrochemicals and not refinery
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by jumobi1(m): 3:37pm On Dec 08, 2016
This is an emergency!!! PH nairalanders need to report to the right agencies. My people are slowly dying.
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by engrobidigbo: 3:37pm On Dec 08, 2016
MrCyril:

Have you all noticed

I am worried.

This is surely as a result of the new Indorama fertilizer company and Notore fertilizer company
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by pilot77(m): 3:52pm On Dec 08, 2016
It's a combination of a lot of stuff but majorly illegal refineries in the outskirts of phc and then the fertilizer companies coupled with the Port Harcourt Refinery .
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by nanizle(m): 3:56pm On Dec 08, 2016
This sounds like serious air pollution going on in PH and environs. Those affected should buy and use nose-masks ooo. Dont take chances!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by Abiagirl777(f): 4:15pm On Dec 08, 2016
engrobidigbo:

The awful smell you got daily is from Eleme Petrochemicals and not refinery

Yes pls,ibwanted to type indorama but was in a hurry.though the gas flaring fro the refinery isn't left out too.
@thetrueseeker,exactly my experience too .
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by yarimo(m): 4:24pm On Dec 08, 2016
Keep on typing trash thinking you are making sense, let me pretend that I don't no you are FOOLING yourself.
Doncute:

Wld u shut d hell up. Who told u nairaland can't help. Do u think there are no bio chemists here dah stay in portharcourt and have also noticed d stuff. Do u think research has not already been carried out. U wld not use ur God given brain to think. Aniways back to d topic, am not in Poetharcourt buh its good u brought it up here so dah serious thought wld be given to this environmental menace. Nice work.
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by yarimo(m): 4:25pm On Dec 08, 2016
MONITZ:

E pain u Desist from making comments with no meanings because it says a lot about u.. Heed this advice OK.So how re u??....I hope u re gonna take this piece?It will do u some good... Tk care and ve a nice day..
let me pretend as if I don't no that you are a BIG fOOl
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by yarimo(m): 4:28pm On Dec 08, 2016
erocorp01:

I kw ur type...I made d mistake of letting u drag me down to ur level as a fool whc u are..because u would beat me with experience. U dnt even understand d gravity of a spoken word. Ervytin is funi even wen one insults ur mother. U would still grin
that is why I said you are a kid, in politics you don't get angry we are used to what you type . Well since you mentioned my mother your FATHER is a silly mad man grin
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by MONITZ: 4:31pm On Dec 08, 2016
yarimo:
let me pretend as if I don't no that you are a BIG fOOl

It's kk now,I don't mean any quarrel,I just threw those banters without actually meaning them,i am so so sorry if they got u on the wrong side kk.
Re: Thick Black Particles: Trouble In Port-Harcourt City!! by yarimo(m): 4:32pm On Dec 08, 2016
MONITZ:

It's kk now,I don't mean any quarrel,I just threw those banter without actually meaning them,i am so so sorry if they caught u on the wrong side kk.
I am also sorry BRO. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Court Nullifies APC Primaries In Rivers State / A Nigerian Senator Earns More In Salary Than Barack Obama And David Cameron / Buhari And A Friend Before Joining Army (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.