Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,558 members, 7,812,801 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:31 PM

God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? (18120 Views)

Debunking The Lies Of The Jehovah's Witnesses That Jesus Didn't Resurrect Bodily / Jesus Didn't Die: He Wasn't Even Crucified On The Cross / DSTV Censors "God" and "Jesus" On All Their Stations? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by PDBonline: 11:54am On Dec 10, 2016
randomperson:

It is wrong now and it was wrong at that time... God should have known that then and should have told the humans... Why did men have to arrive at that conclusion themselves? What is God's duty if me can't tell if us what's wrong as at when due
Is marriage right or wrong? Is having government right or wrong? Is killing right or wrong? Is sex right or wrong?

IF YOU READ MY PREVIOUS RESPONSES AND THINK ABOUT THESE QUESTIONS, YOU WILL UNDERSTAND THAT GOD HASN'T LEFT US ALONE TO MAKE THE CONCLUSIONS. HE 1. OFFERS GUIDANCE, 2. GIVES COMMANDS AND GRATEFULLY 3. ALSO ALLOWS US TO USE THE BRAIN HE GAVE US- ALL THREE!
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by hopefulLandlord: 11:55am On Dec 10, 2016
akintom:

This another historical proof of the origin of God. The God of the Abrahamic religions, is simply of the fabric and fashion of olodumare (God or almighty ) of the Yoruba traditional religion.

It's pitiable, that the tribal, vengeful, horrific, mean, genocidal, misogynistic and chauvinistic god of the Jews, is what is been romanced by most Nigerians.

Approval of slavery, is the worst bubble bursting, of this imaginary monster appellated as god.

Nice one

its shows that the Abrahamic doG of the buybull is not as smart as even the mildly dumb human

he punished the Egyptians by sending plagues, hardening Pharaoh's heart so that he can send more plagues till he killed all firstborn sons, all these to free Israelites from slavery

that same doG then quickly gave Israelites instructions on how to make and keep their slaves forever and ever even passing their wives and children as automatic slaves

yet our deluded Christian apologists say he didn't support slavery?

I like seeing them wriggle and wriggle to no avail, its fun grin
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by PDBonline: 12:18pm On Dec 10, 2016
randomperson:

Why do u keep avoiding the main issue... In the ten commandments we have "Thou shall not commit adultery". Why don't we have a verse like that against slavery... Stop dodging!!
The last time I checked you didn't start this thread and I told you that you don't bring God to your level, you move up to or at least try to move up to His level of thinking.

Why do you think slavery is so fundamental that it should be included into the commandments. Have you tried keeping the first commandment? Even the "Do not commit adultery," you mentioned, have you acknowledged that that was very important?
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by randomperson: 12:20pm On Dec 10, 2016
PDBonline:

Is marriage right or wrong? Is having government right or wrong? Is killing right or wrong? Is sex right or wrong?

IF YOU READ MY PREVIOUS RESPONSES AND THINK ABOUT THESE QUESTIONS, YOU WILL UNDERSTAND THAT GOD HASN'T LEFT US ALONE TO MAKE THE CONCLUSIONS. HE 1. OFFERS GUIDANCE, 2. GIVES COMMANDS AND GRATEFULLY 3. ALSO ALLOWS US TO USE THE BRAIN HE GAVE US- ALL THREE!
Still dodging... I thought u Christians claim god is source of morality... So why didn't he tell us slavery was wrong?? He told us homosexuality was wrong, didn't he?? If u don't have an answer to this question, just say so and stop wasting my time
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by randomperson: 12:23pm On Dec 10, 2016
PDBonline:

The last time I checked you didn't start this thread and I told you that you don't bring God to your level, you move up to or at least try to move up to His level of thinking.

Why do you think slavery is so fundamental that it should be included into the commandments. Have you tried keeping the first commandment? Even the "Do not commit adultery," you mentioned, have you acknowledged that that was very important?
I started this thread with my other account...
And "why do I think slavery is so fundamental??" Really nigger?? U don't think slavery was important. So not eating shellfish, adultery are more fundamental than slavery... Is this a joke??
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by PDBonline: 12:30pm On Dec 10, 2016
randomperson:

Still dodging... I thought u Christians claim god is source of morality... So why didn't he tell us slavery was wrong?? He told us homosexuality was wrong, didn't he?? If u don't have an answer to this question, just say so and stop wasting my time

You quoted me. I asked you if marriage was right or wrong, if having government was right or wrong or if killing was right or wrong.

If you had done some thinking before quoting me again, you would have discovered that you were asking the wrong question.
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by PDBonline: 12:35pm On Dec 10, 2016
Randomperson let me just help you. Everything is not either right or wrong, black or white.
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by randomperson: 12:40pm On Dec 10, 2016
PDBonline:

You quoted me. I asked you if marriage was right or wrong, if having government was right or wrong or if killing was right or wrong.

If you had done some thinking before quoting me again, you would have discovered that you were asking the wrong question.
I ignored those questions because they were of no issue to the topic... Anyways, marriage is right, government is right, killing can be right if justifiable... For example, self defense...
Why are u comparing these things to slavery... So u feel God didn't forbid slavery because slavery is not wrong??
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by randomperson: 12:41pm On Dec 10, 2016
PDBonline:
Randomperson let me just help you. Everything is not either right or wrong, black or white.
Yh, not everything. But slavery is wrong. Very wrong. Do u think otherwise? U think slavery is neither right or wrong?
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by MrPresident1: 12:43pm On Dec 10, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Them no know say you be big daddy cool

The big bad punishing daddy grin grin cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by PDBonline: 12:54pm On Dec 10, 2016
randomperson:

I ignored those questions because they were of no issue to the topic... Anyways, marriage is right, government is right, killing can be right if justifiable... For example, self defense...
Why are u comparing these things to slavery... So u feel God didn't forbid slavery because slavery is not wrong??
I have answered you already and plenty times.
If you say marriage is right, meaning it is wrong to be single? If you say government is right? Does it mean that lack of it is wrong? You only got the answer to killing. There are relationships and actions that may develop and be accepted by people because of necessity or a perception of it. You judge each case differently. That's different from morality. If you are not satisfied, please, go charge God to your court.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by akintom(m): 1:10pm On Dec 10, 2016
4everGod:

i suggest you go through the thread "intelligently". God did not approve of slavery! End of story

I didn't know you're now a reading guide!
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by randomperson: 1:11pm On Dec 10, 2016
PDBonline:

If you say marriage is right, meaning it is wrong to be single? If you say government is right? Does it mean that lack of it is wrong? You only got the answer to killing. There are relationships and actions that may develop and be accepted by people because of necessity or a perception of it. You judge each case differently. That's different from morality. If you are not satisfied, please, go charge God to your court.
God... That's some confuse logic... So nothing is wrong or right??... U no try at all...
And there's no need to charge god to court, he's imaginary
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Nobody: 1:13pm On Dec 10, 2016
akintom:

I didn't know you're now a reading guide!

Some people obviously need one!
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Dec 10, 2016
PDBonline:

You are wasting your time with that guy. Truth is not his desire but using your words to distort the truth is what his agenda is. Show him the truth for the next 20yrs and he will always say you are wrong. My advice, do not bother anymore!
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by PDBonline: 1:24pm On Dec 10, 2016
randomperson:

God... That's some confuse logic... So nothing is wrong or right??... U no try at all...
And there's no need to charge god to court, he's imaginary
I understand that there people whose way of thinking is "if it not white, it must be black".
Interesting that you feel killing may not be right or wrong. Killing? But I get your point and I'm not confused.
Slavery is not the best of human relationship but it is permissible under some circumstances. However, where it already exists, if the slave find the opportunity to gain freedom, they should do so.

Is putting other humans in prison not worse than slavery? The Bible doesn't condemn that too because it is neither right nor wrong. The right or wrong comes with the circumstances.
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by randomperson: 1:25pm On Dec 10, 2016
4everGod:

You are wasting your time with that guy. Truth is not his desire but using your words to distort the truth is what his agenda is. Show him the truth for the next 20yrs and he will always say you are wrong. My advice, do not bother anymore!
grin ... Truth?? They slavery is actually not wrong. Is that the truth... Funny that his own version of the truth is different from yours
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by PDBonline: 1:32pm On Dec 10, 2016
4everGod:

Sometimes you need to be patient with people who see things differently from you or are even outrightly foolish (not interested in gaining understanding, just waiting to express their own opinion).
I know others are reading to gain knowledge.
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by EyeHateGod: 1:38pm On Dec 10, 2016
PDBonline:

Sometimes you need to be patient with people who see things differently from you or are even outrightly foolish (not interested in gaining understanding, just waiting to express their own opinion).
From my understanding non of you have been able to provide reasonable answer.. The question was simple why didn't yahweh or jesus forbid slavery?
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by randomperson: 1:48pm On Dec 10, 2016
PDBonline:

Yh... Others are reading and they will read where u implied that slavery is not wrong. What they won't read however is your answer to the question why god forbade eating shellfish but not slavery.... Because u failed to answer...
Oh, lest I forget, they would also read where u said if marriage is right, then being single is wrong
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by hopefulLandlord: 1:54pm On Dec 10, 2016
PDBonline:

I understand that there people whose way of thinking is "if it not white, it must be black".
Interesting that you feel killing may not be right or wrong. Killing? But I get your point and I'm not confused.
Slavery is not the best of human relationship but it is permissible under some circumstances. However, where it already exists, if the slave find the opportunity to gain freedom, they should do so.

Is putting other humans in prison not worse than slavery? The Bible doesn't condemn that too because it is neither right nor wrong. The right or wrong comes with the circumstances.

this shows morality is subjective and not objective

this shows the bible does not dictate 100% your morals but society plays a part too
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by PDBonline: 2:13pm On Dec 10, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

this shows the bible does not dictate 100% your morals but society plays a part too
It's going to be impossible for you to understand morality if you don't understand that God exists.
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by PDBonline: 2:21pm On Dec 10, 2016
EyeHateGod:

From my understanding non of you have been able to provide reasonable answer.. The question was simple why didn't yahweh or jesus forbid slavery?

Because He didn't have to.

Why didn't Yahweh forbid imprisonment?

1 Like

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by chrmn1: 2:25pm On Dec 10, 2016
randomperson:

Why are you doing this?? You are making my points for me. So the process of God orientating Abraham was gradual?? God never told him at any point to stop slavery. God called Abraham at 75 and he died at 175. That's a whole hundred years to tell him but God didn't say anything... And plss, Abraham always had slaves. He even received more slaves from Abimelech...
Now, according to you. God would normally give an instruction but it's left for people to obey or disobey. Well why didn't he give an instruction prohibiting slavery?? People got stoned for adultery. Why couldn't God command that people who bought slaves should be stoned too?
And while am kinda sorry I called u a liar, we can't conclude that Paul actually included slave owners since many of the translations don't have that word. In fact, its more likely he meant kidnappers. So the closest thing the bible came to condemning slavery is not even certainly a criticism of slavery

randomperson:

Why are you doing this?? You are making my points for me. So the process of God orientating Abraham was gradual?? God never told him at any point to stop slavery. God called Abraham at 75 and he died at 175. That's a whole hundred years to tell him but God didn't say anything... And plss, Abraham always had slaves. He even received more slaves from Abimelech...
Now, according to you. God would normally give an instruction but it's left for people to obey or disobey. Well why didn't he give an instruction prohibiting slavery?? People got stoned for adultery. Why couldn't God command that people who bought slaves should be stoned too?
And while am kinda sorry I called u a liar, we can't conclude that Paul actually included slave owners since many of the translations don't have that word. In fact, its more likely he meant kidnappers. So the closest thing the bible came to condemning slavery is not even certainly a criticism of slavery
That it was not expressly stated in the Bible where God told Abraham to stop slavery is not enough proof that God never dealt with him in that area just like there was no place where God expressly stated that he should no longer indulge in Idol worship. God said to Abraham, 'walk before Me and be thou perfect' and that instruction clearly shows that there were areas in Abraham's life were he had not yielded to God's perfect will. Okay you say God should prohibit slavery. I showed you a passage the other day of a scenario where a slave would prefer to remain one than be free. So should God override the will of that slave? Additionally I pointed to you that slaves were usually prisoners of war and it wouldn't make sense to conquer a rival nation and allow them regroup and launch a revenge attack. Why would God make a regulation against this?
Now those guys that were handed to Abraham by abimelech, what was the proper/sensible thing Abraham ought to have done? Refuse to have them so they would continue to lavish in a system where there was no iota of the fear of God so that they would continue to be slaves anyway? Now Abraham acquired people to work for him and even though you could tag them 'slaves', the way they were treated was much much dignifying than a common slave. Genesis 14:14 reads as follows: "And when Abram heard that his brother was taken captive, he armed his trained servants, born in his own house, three hundred and eighteen, and pursued them unto Dan." They were what you will call slaves but they were 'trained'. Military might in those days was quite similar to education in this day and age. It says 'his trained servants'. It was one of those so-called slaves in his house he asked to go assist hi find a wife for his son and put him in charge of all he had. "And Abraham said unto his eldest servant of his house, that ruled over all that he had, Put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh" (Genesis 24:2). It was one of those so-called slaves he was going to hand over all his substance to if God did not heed his prayer for a son (not another relative of his). Genesis 15:1-3 "Some time later, the Lord spoke to Abram in a vision and said to him, “Do not be afraid, Abram, for I will protect you, and your reward will be great. But Abram replied, “O Sovereign Lord, what good are all your blessings when I don’t even have a son? Since you’ve given me no children, Eliezer of Damascus, a servant in my household, will inherit all my wealth. You have given me no descendants of my own, so one of my servants will be my heir.”"
Now the same way God would not forbid the Israelites from enslaving the nation's around them because of inherent dangers associated with not doing so, He would not mind a situation where foreigners are bought over, implying depletion of the foreign armies that would definitely stand in the way of His people and enslave them if the slightest opportunity presented itself, whilst improving the standard of the lives of the so called slaves.

Now that word in 1 Timothy 1:10 is 'andrapodistais' and it was derived from the root word 'andrapodon' which means 'a slave' so I'm convinced that 'enslaver' is the more appropriate word compared to 'kidnapper'

1 Like

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by EyeHateGod: 2:31pm On Dec 10, 2016
PDBonline:

Why didn't Yahweh forbid imprisonment?
There is a Difference between imprisonment and slavery and am sure you know that so please don't bring that bullshit in here...
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by akintom(m): 2:46pm On Dec 10, 2016
4everGod:

Some people obviously need one!
Certainly not a deluded and blind one.
Your God didn't approve slavery, yet he gave rules about slavery.
Of course, it's only a god created by primitive Jews that can be this twisted.
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by PDBonline: 2:47pm On Dec 10, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

Morality is objective but issues of perception and conscience are recognized to be subjective in the Bible. There are issues people feel strongly about that are neither right nor wrong but because of someone's background, he or she attaches morality into it. The Bible says they are disputable matter and no one has the right to judge someone else's conscience.

That's different from saying there are no rights or wrongs.
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Nobody: 2:48pm On Dec 10, 2016
akintom:

So says a twisted atheistic mind!
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by akintom(m): 2:56pm On Dec 10, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

Nice one

its shows that the Abrahamic doG of the buybull is not as smart as even the mildly dumb human

he punished the Egyptians by sending plagues, hardening Pharaoh's heart so that he can send more plagues till he killed all firstborn sons, all these to free Israelites from slavery

that same doG then quickly gave Israelites instructions on how to make and keep their slaves forever and ever even passing their wives and children as automatic slaves

yet our deluded Christian apologists say he didn't support slavery?

I like seeing them wriggle and wriggle to no avail, its fun grin

These folks are beyond comprehension in grand delusion.

One of them, who masquerades here as logical entity, said incest is permissible, as long as it's the Jewish doG that approves it.

Certain folks that derives pleasure, in baseless suffering of humanity (slavery), and thirst of seeing folks, roasted in their imaginary hell, are nothing but psychopaths and sociopath.
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by EyeHateGod: 2:56pm On Dec 10, 2016
4everGod:

So says a twisted atheistic mind!
This doesn't change the fact that Yahweh gave steps on how slaves should be handled... The good Question would be does that sound like a "GOD" to you though am still wondering whose mind is actually Twisted...
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by PDBonline: 3:01pm On Dec 10, 2016
akintom:

Rules were given about kings and divorce to the Jews too yet the Bible reveals that these were not what God wanted for them. In fact Jesus clearly said, it was because of their stubbornness the they were permitted to divorce (except in marital unfaithfulness) but that wasn't God's will. God didn't create robots without will power.
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by dankol: 3:02pm On Dec 10, 2016
jcross19:
sir !!!!! Evil is evil even from the beginning , it has no different name than evil. The act of slavery is evil even from the bible . If the bible writers did not condemn it , it meant something is wrong with the bible and the bible remain imperfect. I am a christian too but I stand and I condemn the act of slavery from the bible . Slaves were created by who? Who made them? Huh so those slaves don't have choice to live on their own Wow!!!!! That's pathetic from the writers of bible. To tell you that we human were the one that made this rules and regulations in the bible and God ordained it for us. Thank God for thomson something like that, that fought the fight and liberate men from slavery I respect him more than many people in the bible. See I am pastor but am not blind one.

seriously.. i salute your courage to speakout. i am really impressed cos, you have clearly proved that some persons can still actually do some logical reasoning ans still choose to be a christian and that i sure respect. Pastor Logic.. Thumbs up sir

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ondo Police Statement On Kidnapped Children That Were Rescued From A Church / RCCG To Commission 12milion Capacity Auditorium. At The 63 Annual Convention / Are "Saggings" & Wearing "Torn Jeans" Sins?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.