Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,975 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:51 AM

God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? (18122 Views)

Debunking The Lies Of The Jehovah's Witnesses That Jesus Didn't Resurrect Bodily / Jesus Didn't Die: He Wasn't Even Crucified On The Cross / DSTV Censors "God" and "Jesus" On All Their Stations? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by chrmn1: 9:10pm On Dec 08, 2016
foladara777:

U are comparing divorce with slavery?? And are u implying that God couldn't make a law against slavery because the people liked it?? Because that idea is against the notion that God is omnipotent.
And why did Jesus, the cooler version of his father fail to forbid slavery the same way he forbade divorce?? Or he considered divorce worse than slavery?
You see you wouldn't know anything about God's original intent as regards divorce if the Jews did not task Him on the issue. He detailed to them how they must live together (slaves and masters) if there was a mutual agreement in that respect. If you read through that passage you'd see that there was a portion where it was stated that if the master wishes to allow the slave to be free and the slave preferred to remain a slave, then the master would bore the ear of the servant. If you tell a slave to go free and he insists that he'lllike to continue in the slavery then maybe the terms were not so harsh on the slave. God's omnipotence will not override human free will else we'd become robots.
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Nobody: 9:15pm On Dec 08, 2016
author=Seun post=51755113
]4evergod, do you support the enslavement of Christian women by ISIS if the Christian women are "well-treated" like the slaves of bible jews?

Are we in that era now? God respects desires and decisions. When a man willingly submits himself to slavery due to a need the best God or anyone can do is to protect which is why scriptures and instructions like these were given

[b]"If a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod and he dies at his hand, he shall be punished." (Exodus 21:20)

"If a man strikes the eye of his male or female slave, and destroys it, he shall let him go free on account of his eye. "And if he knocks out a tooth of his male or female slave, he shall let him go free on account of his tooth." (Exodus 21:26-27)

"He who strikes a man so that he dies shall surely be put to death." (Exodus 21:12)

"Six days you are to do your work, but on the seventh day you shall cease from labor so that your ox and your donkey may rest, and the son of your female slave, as well as your stranger, may refresh themselves. (Exodus 23:12)

"You shall not hand over to his master a slave who has escaped from his master to you. (Deuteronomy 23:15)

'If a countryman of yours becomes so poor with regard to you that he sells himself to you, you shall not subject him to a slave's service. 'He shall be with you as a hired man, as if he were a sojourner; he shall serve with you until the year of jubilee. 'He shall then go out from you, he and his sons with him, and shall go back to his family, that he may return to the property of his forefathers. 'For they are My servants whom I brought out from the land of Egypt; they are not to be sold in a slave sale. 'You shall not rule over him with severity, but are to revere your God. (Leviticus 25:39-43)

"If you buy a Hebrew slave, he shall serve for six years; but on the seventh he shall go out as a free man without payment." (Exodus 21:2)

He who pampers his slave from childhood Will in the end find him to be a son. (Proverbs 29:21)[/b]

Do you support the enslavement of Nigerians who can't pay their debts because of the economic recession, or their kids, so they won't starve?

Again that era has passed refer above. Besides the new testament advocates for freedom.

@jcross19, thank you for being honest about this and taking the right moral stand; you have my respect.[/quote]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Seun(m): 9:21pm On Dec 08, 2016
chrmn1:
You see you wouldn't know anything about God's original intent as regards divorce if the Jews did not task Him on the issue.
Gosh! Are you suggesting the Almighty God has poor communication skills? That he couldn't explain his intentions properly? How dare you. smiley

God's omnipotence will not override human free will else we'd become robots.
God's failure to condemn slavery overrode the free will of millions of people worldwide, especially Africans like us, who were forced into slavery.

If you tell a slave to go free and he insists that he'll like to continue in the slavery then maybe the terms were not so harsh on the slave.
Under what terms would you agree to become my property, to be used and bred as I please, and sold or passed on to my kids later?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by foladara777(m): 9:24pm On Dec 08, 2016
chrmn1:
You see you wouldn't know anything about God's original intent as regards divorce if the Jews did not task Him on the issue. He detailed to them how they must live together (slaves and masters) if there was a mutual agreement in that respect. If you read through that passage you'd see that there was a portion where it was stated that if the master wishes to allow the slave to be free and the slave preferred to remain a slave, then the master would bore the ear of the servant. If you tell a slave to go free and he insists that he'lllike to continue in the slavery then maybe the terms were not so harsh on the slave. God's omnipotence will not override human free will else we'd become robots.
What are u saying?? How many slaves will insist to continue as slaves?? Even maids are still being abused in the 21st century... And stop using the phrase mutual agreement in a discussion about slavery... Slaves were merchandize... God said Israelites can buy slaves from foreigners...
And that part about god not overriding freewill?? That doesn't stop God from forbidding slavery, at least he had the time to forbid shellfish

3 Likes

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Nobody: 9:28pm On Dec 08, 2016
jcross19:
sir !!!!! Evil is evil even from the beginning , it has no different name than evil. The act of slavery is evil even from the bible . If the bible writers did not condemn it , it meant something is wrong with the bible and the bible remain imperfect. I am a christian too but I stand and I condemn the act of slavery from the bible . Slaves were created by who? Who made them? Huh so those slaves don't have choice to live on their own Wow!!!!! That's pathetic from the writers of bible. To tell you that we human were the one that made this rules and regulations in the bible and God ordained it for us. Thank God for thomson something like that, that fought the fight and liberate men from slavery I respect him more than many people in the bible. See I am pastor but am not blind one.

If you say slavery is wrong in those days when they believed the best way to escape hardship was to attach themselves to the well to do would you have abolished it especially since the slaves under their law were not seen as slaves per se but as helpers and as people being helped and they had protective laws which gave them rights. Real slaves have no rights but these slaves had rights.

God knowing that the issue of slavery would be a thing of the past i am sure did not prioritize the issue especially since there were protective laws over such "slaves".

However if you wish to change a system would you do so via external laws which could be circumvented or via the laws written in the tablets of our hearts so we would love our neighbour as ourselves?

If we all became ambassadors of love via the Holy spirit who sheds the love of God abroad in our heart is that not a much better approach? Is that not what Christ came to do?

Is slavery of greater importance especially since it was transient or is the salvation of souls and redemption of mankind of more importance?

Onesimus was a slave who found Christ. Did his slavery deter his walk with Christ? Its just like what Jesus said in Luke 10: 42 when addressing Martha

41“Martha, Martha, the Lord replied, “you are worried and upset about many things. 42But only one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, and it will not be taken away from her

As long as the slaves had protection and still had their needs met which made them agree to serve in the first place all was well as that was not an emergency situation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by MrPresident1: 9:30pm On Dec 08, 2016
Whenever God hands over rulership of the world to any race/people, he automatically makes all the other races subject to this elevated race, in other words, the elevated race rules over all other races.

The race that is presently in charge of the world is lord over all of us at the moment but they will not be in charge forever. Power will change hands to black people when Jesus Christ returns in only a few days, perhaps even tomorrow sef grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by foladara777(m): 9:35pm On Dec 08, 2016
4everGod:

Are we in that era now? God respects desires and decisions. When a man willingly submits himself to slavery due to a need the best God or anyone can do is to protect which is why scriptures and instructions like these were given

[b]"If a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod and he dies at his hand, he shall be punished." (Exodus 21:20)

"If a man strikes the eye of his male or female slave, and destroys it, he shall let him go free on account of his eye. "And if he knocks out a tooth of his male or female slave, he shall let him go free on account of his tooth." (Exodus 21:26-27)

"He who strikes a man so that he dies shall surely be put to death." (Exodus 21:12)

"Six days you are to do your work, but on the seventh day you shall cease from labor so that your ox and your donkey may rest, and the son of your female slave, as well as your stranger, may refresh themselves. (Exodus 23:12)

"You shall not hand over to his master a slave who has escaped from his master to you. (Deuteronomy 23:15)

'If a countryman of yours becomes so poor with regard to you that he sells himself to you, you shall not subject him to a slave's service. 'He shall be with you as a hired man, as if he were a sojourner; he shall serve with you until the year of jubilee. 'He shall then go out from you, he and his sons with him, and shall go back to his family, that he may return to the property of his forefathers. 'For they are My servants whom I brought out from the land of Egypt; they are not to be sold in a slave sale. 'You shall not rule over him with severity, but are to revere your God. (Leviticus 25:39-43)

"If you buy a Hebrew slave, he shall serve for six years; but on the seventh he shall go out as a free man without payment." (Exodus 21:2)

He who pampers his slave from childhood Will in the end find him to be a son. (Proverbs 29:21)[/b]

Again that era has passed refer above. Besides the new testament advocates for freedom.

@jcross19, thank you for being honest about this and taking the right moral stand; you have my respect.
When a man willingly submits himself to slavery?? God said slaves can be purchased from foreigners, how is that willful submission??
So if a man destroys the eyes of his slave, the only punishment is they have to let the slave go. How is that fair??
And only Hebrew slaves are entitled to bring released after 7years??
The whole idea is inhumane, u shouldn't try to defend it. You are better than that

1 Like

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by foladara777(m): 9:36pm On Dec 08, 2016
MrPresident1:
Whenever God hands over rulership of the world to any race/people, he automatically makes all the other races subject to this elevated race, in other words, the elevated race rules over all other races.

The race that is presently in charge of the world is lord over all of us at the moment but they will not be in charge forever. Power will change hands to black people when Jesus Christ returns in only a few days, perhaps even tomorrow sef grin

SMH
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Nobody: 9:39pm On Dec 08, 2016
foladara777:

When a man willingly submits himself to slavery?? God said slaves can be purchased from foreigners, how is that willful submission??
So if a man destroys the eyes of his slave, the only punishment is they have to let the slave go. How is that fair??
And only Hebrew slaves are entitled to bring released after 7years??
The whole idea is inhumane, u shouldn't try to defend it. You are better than that

You read the Bible as a story book and that is why you have so much conflict. I asked you this yesterday.

You are an atheist! Why does the content of the Bible upset you so? If it were to be a Harry porter book or a book about zeus would it upset you this much? If in Harry potter books he killed 1million people would it upset you? I believe it wouldnt and you know why? Its because Harry Potter isnt real! But deep down inside of you , you know God exists which is why you are so incensed by the things you read about which you claim He did even when he did not do them.

Can you honestly be upset over the bad stories or acts of Chike Obi or the drummer boy?
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by foladara777(m): 9:40pm On Dec 08, 2016
4everGod:

If you say slavery is wrong in those days when they believed the best way to escape hardship was to attach themselves to the well to do would you have abolished it especially since the slaves under their law were not seen as slaves per se but as helpers and as people being helped and they had protective laws which gave them rights. Real slaves have no rights but these slaves had rights.

God knowing that the issue of slavery would be a thing of the past i am sure did not prioritize the issue especially since there were protective laws over such "slaves".

However if you wish to change a system would you do so via external laws which could be circumvented or via the laws written in the tablets of our hearts so we would love our neighbour as ourselves?

If we all became ambassadors of love via the Holy spirit who sheds the love of God abroad in our heart is that not a much better approach? Is that not what Christ came to do?

Is slavery of greater importance especially since it was transient or is the salvation of souls and redemption of mankind of more importance?

Onesimus was a slave who found Christ. Did his slavery deter his walk with Christ? Its just like what Jesus said in Luke 10: 42 when addressing Martha

41“Martha, Martha, the Lord replied, “you are worried and upset about many things. 42But only one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, and it will not be taken away from her

As long as the slaves had protection and still had their needs met which made them agree to serve in the first place all was well as that was not an emergency situation.
Well, here's the thing. The slaves didn't have protection. If they died from the beating they received after two days of the beating, there was no justice for them.
And you asked which is more important between slavery and salvation?? Well, let me ask you, which is more important, eating shellfish or slavery??

4 Likes

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by chrmn1: 9:41pm On Dec 08, 2016
realmindz:

@bolded, I can't believe someone will type this.

Do u have any idea what slavery is at all?

KingEbukasBlog what do u 've to say about this., this guy just insulted common sense

You should be ashamed of yourself

Friend, I never lived in that time and neither did you. If you tell a slave, 'go home. You're free' and he says 'no' what do you call that. Well it's a mutual agreement in my book

Deuteronomy 15:16 But suppose a male slave says to you, “I don’t want to leave you,” because he loves you and your family and is happy with you
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Dec 08, 2016
foladara777:

Well, here's the thing. The slaves didn't have protection. If they died from the beating they received after two days of the beating, there was no justice for them.
And you asked which is more important between slavery and salvation?? Well, let me ask you, which is more important, eating shellfish or slavery??

So a death sentence isnt a deterrent?

You are an atheist! Why does the content of the Bible upset you so? If it were to be a Harry porter book or a book about zeus would it upset you this much? If in Harry potter books he killed 1million people would it upset you? I believe it wouldnt and you know why? Its because Harry Potter isnt real! But deep down inside of you , you know God exists which is why you are so incensed by the things you read about which you claim He did even when he did not do them.

Can you honestly be upset over the bad stories or acts of Chike Obi or the drummer boy?

Can you answer my question?
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by foladara777(m): 9:44pm On Dec 08, 2016
4everGod:

You read the Bible as a story book and that is why you have so much conflict. I asked you this yesterday.

The people around me don't live their lives in line with harry potter or the drummer boy. They don't try to defend the terrible acts committed in this book... But Christians who are the people that surround me use the bible as guide book for their lives, if God condemned slavery in the bible, maybe our forefathers wouldn't have been bundled to Europe to work on plantations, setting Africa some centuries back... So, u see, it might be fiction but it's harmful...
Did I answer your question?? I think I did

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Nobody: 9:47pm On Dec 08, 2016
chrmn1:

Friend, I never lived in that time and neither did you. If you tell a slave, 'go home. You're free' and he says 'no' what do you call that. Well it's a mutual agreement in my book

Deuteronomy 15:16 But suppose a male slave says to you, “I don’t want to leave you,” because he loves you and your family and is happy with you

They are using the 21st century to look at slavery of then and thats being irrational and dishonest. If they would look at the history of slavery in Biblical times i am sure this thread would have been so unnecessary .

Obvious scriptures like the one you posted which clearly shows the reason why "slaves" were accepted are being dishonestly overlooked by them.

I have seen people in this 21st century who ask "city" people to take their daughters to Lagos and let her work for them as long as they will send her to school and the city people would accept. I am sure they would say that is not how Biblical servitude was.

1 Like

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by foladara777(m): 9:48pm On Dec 08, 2016
chrmn1:

Why are u ignoring the other slaves that were purchased from foreigners the same way people buy rice?? Stop avoiding the real issues, this is a public forum

1 Like

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Seun(m): 9:51pm On Dec 08, 2016
I feel sad for the apologists who are desperately trying to defend the indefensible. Being forced to defend an evil practice must be awful.

4everGod:
You are an atheist! Why does the content of the Bible upset you so? If it were to be a Harry Potter book or a book about zeus would it upset you this much? If in Harry potter books he killed 1 million people would it upset you?
If Harry Potter fans started killing people in real life because Harry Potter did it, we would all be upset. People used the bible to justify slavery.

4EverGod, you said that you don't support slavery by ISIS or Nigerians because the era in which slavery is morally acceptable has passed. When did this era pass? There is no condemnation of slavery in the New Testament either, so why shouldn't you enslave your debtors' kids, etc?

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by chrmn1: 9:51pm On Dec 08, 2016
jcross19:
sir !!!!! Evil is evil even from the beginning , it has no different name than evil. The act of slavery is evil even from the bible . If the bible writers did not condemn it , it meant something is wrong with the bible and the bible remain imperfect. I am a christian too but I stand and I condemn the act of slavery from the bible . Slaves were created by who? Who made them? Huh so those slaves don't have choice to live on their own Wow!!!!! That's pathetic from the writers of bible. To tell you that we human were the one that made this rules and regulations in the bible and God ordained it for us. Thank God for thomson something like that, that fought the fight and liberate men from slavery I respect him more than many people in the bible. See I am pastor but am not blind one.
Twale baba how markeet? Well, in those times, people went into slavery primarily because they wanted to escape the pangs of famine. Was it an ideal situation? No! Does the Bible say it was a good thing? No! Just as with a case like divorce, God tried to give them a sort of regulation for them to live amicably in that imperfect situation. It's even stated in the new testament that the old covenant was not faultless. Would you ever know whether the Bible condemned divorce or not in the old covenant if Jesup wasn't tasked about the subject in the NT. It was when He was queried that He revealed that God permitted the practice because they stubbornly refused to heed any instruction against it. So my dear pastor, you really don't have the full picture.
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by MrPresident1: 9:51pm On Dec 08, 2016
foladara777:

SMH

The veil covering the eyes of you simpletons will soon be removed. You people know nothing, absolutely nothing.
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by foladara777(m): 9:53pm On Dec 08, 2016
4everGod:

They are using the 21st century to look at slavery of then and thats being irrational and dishonest. If they would look at the history of slavery in Biblical times i am sure this thread would have been so unnecessary .

Obvious scriptures like the one you posted which clearly shows the reason why "slaves" were accepted are being dishonestly overlooked by them.

I have seen people in this 21st century who ask "city" people to take their daughters to Lagos and let her work for them as long as they will send her to school and the city people would accept. I am sure they would say that is not how Biblical servitude was.
Really, when those daughters are taken to Lagos, do the parents of the girls say something like: "U can beat out daughter but if she dies within two days of being beaten, we will report to the police. However, if she dies after two days of being beaten, you are free to go, all is well."
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Dec 08, 2016
foladara777:

The people around me don't live their lives in line with harry potter or the drummer boy. They don't try to defend the terrible acts committed in this book... But Christians who are the people that surround me use the bible as guide book for their lives, if God condemned slavery in the bible, maybe our forefathers wouldn't have been bundled to Europe to work on plantations, setting Africa some centuries back... So, u see, it might be fiction but it's harmful...
Did I answer your question?? I think I did

The family you were born into was your father bundled to work in a plantation? Do you think it was all slaves who were manhandled and abused?

How many Christians are practicing slavery today? If you say God did not condemn it why then are we still not carrying it out? Why then are we preaching love and tolerance and in fact among the fruits of the spirit is Temperance, Love, patience, Peace, Kindness.

Why would we then be doing the absolute opposite today if the same spirit of slavery is at work in us?

Do you know that even traditional africa had internal slavery even before the white men came? Then it was the same issue of help me and i help you. A man may have 10 children and be unable to cater for them and would walk up to a wealthy farmer of trader and beg to have him take one or 2 of his children so he can have the means of taking care of the rest.

Do you think slavery began with the white man? The selfishness in man has always championed slavery even without provocation or being told. Go and read about the ancient Benin kingdom and other kingdoms of africa to find out if we did not have internal slavery outside Christianity and the Bible back then.
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Nobody: 9:55pm On Dec 08, 2016
Seun:
I feel sad for the apologists who are desperately trying to defend the indefensible. Being forced to defend an evil practice must be awful.

If Harry Potter fans started killing people in real life because Harry Potter did it, we would all be upset. People used the bible to justify slavery.

4EverGod, you said that you don't support slavery by ISIS or Nigerians because the era in which slavery is morally acceptable has passed. When did this era pass? There is no condemnation of slavery in the New Testament either, so why shouldn't you enslave your debtors' kids, etc?

so despite all i have posted here you still fail to see beyond your nose? Well i guess that your nose must be an extremely huge impediment. Feel free to see what you wish.
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by jcross19: 9:56pm On Dec 08, 2016
4everGod:

@jcross19, thank you for being honest about this and taking the right moral stand; you have my respect.
where do you see freedom in the new testament? Please tell me!!!!!. Please don't defend what's not good because is bible .

3 Likes

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Nobody: 9:58pm On Dec 08, 2016
foladara777:

Really, when those daughters are taken to Lagos, do the parents of the girls say something like: "U can beat out daughter but if she dies within two days of being beaten, we will report to the police. However, if she dies after two days of being beaten, you are free to go, all is well."

Where did the Bible authorize beating anyone? God knows the heart of man is desperately wicked so they would always react and lash out at anything or anyone so the best thing to do was give the slaves protection until when the laws become written in our hearts which were love the Lord your God with all your heart....... and LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOUR AS YOURSELF. If you love your neighbour as yourself would you want to enslave yourself?
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by foladara777(m): 9:59pm On Dec 08, 2016
chrmn1:
Twale baba how markeet? Well, in those times, people went into slavery primarily because they wanted to escape the pangs of famine. Was it an ideal situation? No! Does the Bible say it was a good thing? No! Just as with a case like divorce, God tried to give them a sort of regulation for them to live amicably in that imperfect situation. It's even stated in the new testament that the old covenant was not faultless. Would you ever know whether the Bible condemned divorce or not in the old covenant if Jesup wasn't tasked about the subject in the NT. It was when He was queried that He revealed that God permitted the practice because they stubbornly refused to heed any instruction against it. So my dear pastor, you really don't have the full picture.
Stop lying?? People didn't go into slavery mainly because of famine... There were a lot of wars at that time and the people captured were sold as slaves. So when God says Israelites could purchase slaves from foreigners, those slaves were victims of those wars
And the new covenant didn't forbid slavery either... Two chances to forbid slavery and the bible failed on both counts

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by jcross19: 9:59pm On Dec 08, 2016
4everGod:

do you know how slaves were treated during that time? Please google is your friend after you find out the truth then you will know that those people were cruel.

1 Like

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Nobody: 10:01pm On Dec 08, 2016
jcross19:
where do you see freedom in the new testament? Please tell me!!!!!. Please don't defend what's not good because is bible .

(Philemon 1:10-21)

10. I appeal to you for my child Onesimus, whom I have begotten in my imprisonment,
11. who formerly was useless to you, but now is useful both to you and to me.
12. I have sent him back to you in person, that is, sending my very heart,
13. whom I wished to keep with me, so that on your behalf he might minister to me in my imprisonment for the gospel;
14. but without your consent I did not want to do anything, so that your goodness would not be, in effect, by compulsion but of your own free will.
15. For perhaps he was for this reason separated from you for a while, that you would have him back forever,
16. no longer as a slave, but more than a slave, a beloved brother, especially to me, but how much more to you, both in the flesh and in the Lord.
17. If then you regard me a partner, accept him as you would me.
18. But if he has wronged you in any way or owes you anything, charge that to my account;
19. I, Paul, am writing this with my own hand, I will repay it (not to mention to you that you owe to me even your own self as well).
20. Yes, brother, let me benefit from you in the Lord; refresh my heart in Christ.
21. Having confidence in your obedience, I write to you, since I know that you will do even more than what I say
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by chrmn1: 10:04pm On Dec 08, 2016
Seun:

Gosh! Are you suggesting the Almighty God has poor communication skills? That he couldn't explain his intentions properly? How dare you. smiley

God's failure to condemn slavery overrode the free will of millions of people worldwide, especially Africans like us, who were forced into slavery.

Under what terms would you agree to become my property, to be used and bred as I please, and sold or passed on to my kids later?

1. By revealing that God never sanctioned divorce, He showed a principle that God would work with man even in imperfect contexts. And this principle is applicable to the subject at hand.

2. See the scripture below: Leviticus 25:39-42 I “If your brother with you becomes so poor that he sells himself to you, you are not to make him serve like a bond slave. Instead, he is to serve with you like a hired servant or a traveler who lives with you, until the year of jubilee. Then he and his children with him may leave to return to his family and his ancestor’s inheritance. Since they’re my servants whom I’ve brought out of the land of Egypt, they are not to be sold as slaves.

3. I never lived in that time and neither did you. If you tell a slave, 'go home. You're free' and he says 'no' what do you call that. Well it's a mutual agreement in my book

1 Like

Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by foladara777(m): 10:04pm On Dec 08, 2016
4everGod:

Where did the Bible authorize beating anyone? God knows the heart of man is desperately wicked so they would always react and lash out at anything or anyone so the best thing to do was give the slaves protection until when the laws become written in our hearts which were love the Lord your God with all your heart....... and LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOUR AS YOURSELF. If you love your neighbour as yourself would you want to enslave yourself?
Here is the verse God authorized being in the bible:
When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)
It doesn't matter how many times it says Love your neighbor, it's just another one of the many contradictions in the bible
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by foladara777(m): 10:06pm On Dec 08, 2016
4everGod:

(Philemon 1:10-21)

10. I appeal to you for my child Onesimus, whom I have begotten in my imprisonment,
11. who formerly was useless to you, but now is useful both to you and to me.
12. I have sent him back to you in person, that is, sending my very heart,
13. whom I wished to keep with me, so that on your behalf he might minister to me in my imprisonment for the gospel;
14. but without your consent I did not want to do anything, so that your goodness would not be, in effect, by compulsion but of your own free will.
15. For perhaps he was for this reason separated from you for a while, that you would have him back forever,
16. no longer as a slave, but more than a slave, a beloved brother, especially to me, but how much more to you, both in the flesh and in the Lord.
17. If then you regard me a partner, accept him as you would me.
18. But if he has wronged you in any way or owes you anything, charge that to my account;
19. I, Paul, am writing this with my own hand, I will repay it (not to mention to you that you owe to me even your own self as well).
20. Yes, brother, let me benefit from you in the Lord; refresh my heart in Christ.
21. Having confidence in your obedience, I write to you, since I know that you will do even more than what I say
How does paul sending a slave back to his master equate to freedom??
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Dec 08, 2016
foladara777:

Here is the verse God authorized being in the bible:
When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)
It doesn't matter how many times it says Love your neighbor, it's just another one of the many contradictions in the bible

Stop being Mischievous pls

So if in Nigeria the Law says when a man kills another man he should jailed for life does that mean the Nigerian law sanctions murder or manslaughter?

You love deceipt.
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by chrmn1: 10:08pm On Dec 08, 2016
foladara777:

What are u saying?? How many slaves will insist to continue as slaves?? Even maids are still being abused in the 21st century... And stop using the phrase mutual agreement in a discussion about slavery... Slaves were merchandize... God said Israelites can buy slaves from foreigners...
And that part about god not overriding freewill?? That doesn't stop God from forbidding slavery, at least he had the time to forbid shellfish
That term 'buy' suggest there was some sort of agreement. People usually offered themselves to be slaves to escape the pangs of famine.
Re: God And Jesus Didn't Forbid Slavery In The Bible. But Why? by Nobody: 10:08pm On Dec 08, 2016
foladara777:

How does paul sending a slave back to his master equate to freedom??

If you cannot understand the part i highlighted in red then that means you are either deliberately ignoring truth or you are indeed blind to truth.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

RCCG To Commission 12milion Capacity Auditorium. At The 63 Annual Convention / Are "Saggings" & Wearing "Torn Jeans" Sins? / Faith & David Oyedepo Celebrate 36th Wedding Anniversary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.