Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,150 members, 7,821,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:51 PM

IS JESUS GOD? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / IS JESUS GOD? (645 Views)

Is Jesus God? – Logical Questions That Need Answers / Is Jesus God? / Is Jesus God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

IS JESUS GOD? by Nobody: 12:56pm On Nov 12, 2009
It baffles me at times when i see some Christians proclaiming that Jesus is God. Let's see how true is this even in the Bible.

1. Mathew 4:10- Jesus said: Thou shall worship only one God.
2. Mark 10:17-18- Jesus said: only God is good, He is not.
3. Mark 12:29-33- Jesus said: our God is one.
4. John 20:17- Jesus said "My God and your God, My father and your Father"
5. 1 Timothy 6:26- God is immortal (everlasting) but Jesus died- matt. 27:50

Jesus also did the following things:

Jesus told a lie- John 7:8-9
Jesus fear death- John 11:53-54
Jesus died-Matt -27:50
Jesus wept-John -11:35
Jesus slept- Mark 4:37-38

CAN GOD IN HIS ALMIGHTINESS DO ANY OF THESE?
Re: IS JESUS GOD? by Nezan(m): 1:24pm On Nov 12, 2009
@ OP;
It baffles me at times when i see some Christians proclaiming that Jesus is God.

I wouldn’t have posted on this thread, but seen you are a newbie, I will patronise you. Are you a Christian? Certainly if you were a Christian who reads the Bible, you will accept His Deity.

1. Mathew 4:10- Jesus said: Thou shall worship only one God.
2. Mark 10:17-18- Jesus said: only God is good, He is not.
3. Mark 12:29-33- Jesus said: our God is one.
4. John 20:17- Jesus said "My God and your God, My father and your Father"
5. 1 Timothy 6:26- God is immortal (everlasting) but Jesus died- matt. 27:50

Jesus has a dual nature, He is both God and man, otherwise He wouldn’t have been a fit mediator between the Father and man. The verses you quoted above all referred to the His human nature. I will now ask you, what are the attributes of God? You will surely answer that God is eternal, omniprescent, omniscience, omnipotent, e.t.c. If Jesus has all these attributes, then, is He not God? Look at what the Bible said in regards to Jesus’ deity:

Eternity

The everlasting Father (Isaiah 9:6).
From everlasting (Micah 5:2).
In the beginning, He always was (John 1:1, 2, 14, 15).
Jesus had glory with God before the world was created (John 17:5).

Omnipresence

Where two or three are, He is there (Matthew 18:20).
He is with us always (Matthew 28:20).
He is in every believer (John 14:20-23).
He fills all (Ephesians 1:23; 4:20).

Omniscience

He knows people’s thoughts (Mark 2:8; Luke 6:8; 11:17).
He knew the manner of His death (Matthew 16:21; John 12:33).
He knew the Father (Matthew 11:27; Only God can know Himself—1 Corinthians 2:11, 16).
He knew who would betray Him (John 6:64, 70-71).
He knew the future (John 2:19-22; John 18:4; John 13:19; Matthew 24:35).
He saw Nathaniel under the fig tree (John 1:49).
He knew the history of the Samaritan woman (John 4:29).
The disciples’ testimony (John 16:30; 17:30).
He knew all men (John 2:24, 25).

While Christ is God, we must remember that in the incarnation He had surrendered the independent use of His attributes (Philippians 2:6-8; John 5:30). As a true man, He was a servant to the Father, as an example to us (John 13:4, 5). Therefore, while on earth, there were some things the Father did not allow Him to know and in His humanity only He was not omniscient. Thus, He didn’t know the time of His return (Mark 13:32); He went to see if there was fruit on a fig tree (Mark 11:13) and He marveled at both unbelief (Mark 6:6) and belief (Matthew 8:10).

Omnipotence and Sovereignty

He is the Almighty (Revelation 1:cool.
He does whatever the Father does (John 5:19).
He upholds all things (Colossians 1:17; Hebrews 1:3).
All authority, including over all mankind, is given to Him (Matthew 28:18; John 17:2, 3).
He is the head over all rule and authority (Colossians 2:10).
He has power to subject all things unto Himself (Philippians 3:21).
He will reign until He has put all enemies under His feet (1 Corinthians 15:25).
He exerts control over His own life and death (John 10:18).
He is the ruler of the kings of the earth (Revelation 1:5).
He has power over nature (Luke. 8:25).
He is Lord of all (Revelations 19:16; 1 Peter 3:22, Colossians 1:18; Acts 10:36).

Immutability

He is always and forever the same (Hebrews 13:8 cf., 1:12, 8, 10).
His words will never pass away (Matthew 24:35).

Holy

He is holy (Revelation 3:7)
He is the holy offspring that will be called the Son of God (Luke 1:35).
He knew no sin (2 Corinthians 5:21).
He is without sin (Hebrews 4:15).
He is holy, innocent, undefiled, and separated from sinners (Hebrews 7:26).
He is unblemished and spotless (1 Peter 1:19).
He committed no sin (John 8:46; 1 John 3:5; 1 Peter 2:22).

Truth

He is full of grace and truth (John 1:14).
The truth is in Jesus (Ephesians 4:21).
He is the truth (John 14:6).
He is faithful and true (Revelation 19:11).

If the major attributes of deity are ascribed to Christ, the only logical conclusion is that Christ is God.

And you said Jesus told a lie . . . where in the Bible? Because the verse you quoted did not indicate Jesus told a lie.
Re: IS JESUS GOD? by Nezan(m): 1:42pm On Nov 12, 2009
And again, what did Jesus claim for Himself:

I and the Father are One. (John 10:30)

He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father. (John 5:23)

If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also. (John 8:19)

He who beholds Me, beholds the One who sent Me. (John 12:45)

Whatever the Father does, these things the Son also does in like manner. (John 5:19)

No one knows the Father except the Son. (Matthew 11:27)

You believe in God, believe also in Me. (John 14:1)

He who has seen Me, has seen the Father. (John 14:9)

He who hates me, hates my Father. (John 15:23)

He who receives Me, receives the One who sent Me. (Matthew 10:40)

All that belongs to the Father is mine. (John 16:15)

My Father is working until now and I am working. (John 5:17)
Re: IS JESUS GOD? by Nezan(m): 1:42pm On Nov 12, 2009
And again, the scriptures plainly declares Christ’s deity:

• John 1:1, 14, "The word was God…. The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us."

• John 1:18, "The only begotten God."

• John 20:28, Thomas said to him [Jesus] "My Lord and my God."

• Titus 2:13, "Our Great God and Saviour Jesus Christ."

• Hebrews 1:8, But about the Son he says, "Your throne O God, will last forever and ever."

• 2 Peter 1:1, "Our God and Saviour Jesus Christ."

• 1 John 5:20, "Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life."

• Colossians 2:9, "In Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form."

• Isaiah 9:6, "For to us a child is born, and He will be called Mighty God."

• Isaiah 7:14; Matthew 1:23, "Immanuel"—"God with us."

• Hebrews 1:1-3, "The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of His being…."

• Acts 20:28, The church was purchased with the blood of God.

• Romans 9:5, "Christ, who is God over all, forever praised."

• 2 Thessalonians 1:12, "Our God and Lord Jesus Christ."

• Philippians 2:6, "being in very nature God." (The Greek could be literally translated "continuing to subsist in the form of God."wink
Re: IS JESUS GOD? by Nobody: 1:48pm On Nov 12, 2009
IS JESUS A MAMI-WATER
I think u shd wake up from slumber guy, and dont get deceived by naughty analysis. What of where Jesus prayed 2 God in d Bible? Matt. 26-39. Don't be fooooled. Haba!
Re: IS JESUS GOD? by Nezan(m): 1:50pm On Nov 12, 2009
The following Scriptures, given the character of Jesus Christ, are only logically explained on the basis of His deity:

For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. (John 6:38)

And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began. (John 17:5)

"I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!" (John 8:58)

Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me." (Matthew 28:18)

I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. (John 16:33)

Jesus said… "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies." (John 11:25)

I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life. (John 5:24; see John 10:27, 28; 11:25)

I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. (John 15:5)

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6)

When he looks at me, he sees the one who sent me. (John 12:45; see John 14:7-11; 17:5)

All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you. (John 16:15)

While I am in the world, I am the light of the world, (John 9:5)

There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day. (John 12:48)

Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on him. (John 3:36)

[The Father has entrusted all judgments to the Son] that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father, who sent him. (John 5:23)

When a man believes in me, he does not believe in me only, but in the one who sent me. (John 12:44)

Can we imagine anybody saying all these? even the most exalted angel has never claim what Christ said. The magnitude of these claims are such that if they are not true, Jesus cannot be considered a sane or a good man. He would have to be considered as the founder of the greatest system of idolatry the world has ever seen. Loraine Boettner asserts in his Studies in Theology (1980, p. 144):

Certainly on the basis of His own teaching Jesus claimed Deity for Himself. No unprejudiced reader can reach any other conclusion. Such has been the impression of the great mass of those who have read the New Testament. This has led Dr. A. H. Strong to observe that "if He is not God, He is a deceiver or is self-deceived, and in either case, Christ, if not God, is not good." And Dr. E. Y. Mullins has pointed out that if we deny His Deity then "we must conclude that, with all His moral beauty and excellence, Jesus was a pitiable failure as a teacher if He did not succeed in guarding His message against corruptions which have led to His own exaltation as God, and to the existence through eighteen centuries of a system of idolatry of which He is the center."
Re: IS JESUS GOD? by Nobody: 1:54pm On Nov 12, 2009

Who is fooling who? Has Jesus changed from the only begotten son 2 Begotten God as claimed in Jhon3:16?
What an obvious contradiction!!!
Re: IS JESUS GOD? by Nezan(m): 1:56pm On Nov 12, 2009
Law prince:

IS JESUS A MAMI-WATER
I think u shd wake up from slumber guy, and dont get deceived by naughty analysis. What of where Jesus prayed 2 God in d Bible? Matt. 26-39. Don't be fooooled. Haba!

You see how your delusion is showing up? You wake up and sampled a few verses in the Bible laid them as a basis of denying Jesus'deity, when the full weight of the scripture was thrown at you, you threw a week jab and started showing you stupidity.

N. B. : I am not a guy, I am a responsibly married man with children, dont think NL is for people of shallow minds who just wake up and spew nonsense posts.
Re: IS JESUS GOD? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Nov 12, 2009
Nezan:

You see how your delusion is showing up? You wake up and sampled a few verses in the Bible laid them as a basis of denying Jesus'deity, when the full weight of the scripture was thrown at you, you threw a week jab and started showing you stupidity.

N. B. : I am not a guy, I am a responsibly married man with children, dont think NL is for people of shallow minds who just wake up and spew nonsense posts.

Dear married Mr Nezan,
Can u pls explain this to me. Mark 10:17-18 -"Jesus said: only God is good, He is not"
I think this is another BIG FALLACY in the Bible.

N.B: Point of correction, There is nothing like responsibly married man, It is responsible married man. ok?
Re: IS JESUS GOD? by Nezan(m): 2:04pm On Nov 12, 2009
Law prince:

Who is fooling who? Has Jesus changed from the only begotten son 2 Begotten God as claimed in Jhon3:16?
What an obvious contradiction!!!

You again see your weak and confused post? You were using the Bible to deny Jesus' deity, when verses are thrown at you, you become overwhelm and change your denial of Jesus' deity to claiming contradiction . . . . you thought  Christians just wake up and claimed Jesus deity? Funny kid.
Re: IS JESUS GOD? by Nezan(m): 2:08pm On Nov 12, 2009
Can u pls explain this to me. Mark 10:17-18 -"Jesus said: only God is good, He is not"
I thin this is another BIG FALLACY in the Bible.

Is this thread about Jesus deity or fallacies in the Bible?

Until you come up with an intelligent analysis, I will not honour your posting of snippets of biblical verses with replies. Show some intelligence man, you are too duh!
Re: IS JESUS GOD? by Nobody: 2:14pm On Nov 12, 2009
Nezan:

Until you come up with an intelligent analysis, I will not honour your posting of snippets of biblical verses with replies. Show some intelligence man, you are too duh!

U're obviously short of words. i can see.

N.B: There is nothin like "show some intelligence man", it is "show some intelligent men"
pls, dont bring Biblical fallacies into Naira Land.
Re: IS JESUS GOD? by Analytical(m): 2:19pm On Nov 12, 2009
Is this not the same Law Prince that opened the Fallacious Christian Mathematics thread?  You opened a thread, clawing some few verses you have no knowledge of and when you were properly schooled in what you didn't understand, you jumped ship and started another thread, claiming another 'contradiction' or 'fallacy'!  Now someone is responding to your queries and you are changing topic.

Must you open a thread?  If you are after knowledge, then read what is being explained to you.  Otherwise, stop playing hide-and-seek.  Only kids do that!
Re: IS JESUS GOD? by grace5: 2:29pm On Nov 12, 2009
YES JESUS IS GOD,CREATED EVERYTHING.

HE LOVES YOU :

I am the Lord Almighty, the great I AM. I am the faithful One, true to
every promise I have given My servants who follow after Me in wholeness
and truth.
Re: IS JESUS GOD? by Nezan(m): 2:36pm On Nov 12, 2009
Law prince:

U're obviously short of words. i can see.

N.B: There is nothin like "show some intelligence man", it is "show some intelligent men"
pls, dont bring Biblical fallacies into Naira Land.

I guess you are still an undergraduate that is while you dont understand english, your post only show why our educational institutions  are churning out half-baked graduates.

'show some intelligence, man' = You should show some level of intelligence (in the singular)
'show some intelligent men' = You should show men who are intelligent (in the plural)

So much for our graduates shocked shocked shocked
Re: IS JESUS GOD? by babypheb: 2:44pm On Nov 12, 2009
Christ Jesus is God,but Jesus Christ is human, God is made up of three being i.e God the Father,the Son and there Holy Spirit,(which we know as three in one i.e trinity). So when Christ Jesus(Jointly God),decided to come to the earth,he became Flesh and blood and that is where Jesus Christ came in.
Read the bible well and you would see,when Jesus refered to that is father and him are one.And he was able to die cause he was flesh and had blood,but death could not hold him cause he was God.
There is a different between Jesus Christ(physical) and Christ Jesus(spirit),so please let not get the bible missed up.
Re: IS JESUS GOD? by AKO1(m): 4:15pm On Nov 12, 2009

(1)

Life And Testimony / Our strength depends on our faith / Questions About The Rapture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.