Stats: 3,154,352 members, 7,822,666 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:46 PM

Is Jesus God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Jesus God? (19512 Views)

Archangel Michael Is Jesus Christ / Is Jesus God? – Logical Questions That Need Answers / Is Jesus God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Jesus God? by babs787(m): 2:42pm On Dec 15, 2006
hello Nairalanders.

a friend posted the below quotes saying that JESUS IS GOD.to me it is a blaphemous statement to have been uttered.

i know those at Nairalanders are wise people and will be able to instil some senses into the poster's.

this is his proof that JESUS IS GOD

Yes JESUS IS GOD AND LORD

2. a. Mt 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

b. Mt 2:15 And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son.

c. Mt 4:6 And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.

d. Mt 4:7 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.
e. Mt 4:10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

f. Mk 12:29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:

g. Lu 4:12 And Jesus answering said unto him, It is said, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

h. 1Co 8:6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

i. 1Co 12:3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

j. Php 2:11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
k. 1Ti 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the commandment of God our Saviour, and Lord Jesus Christ, which is our hope;

PLEASE I NEED EVERYBODY'S CONTRIBUTION BEFORE I MAKE MY OWN COMMENT ON THE TOPIC ON WHETHER JESUS IS GOD OR NOT

HAPPY READING
Re: Is Jesus God? by naija4life(f): 3:03pm On Dec 15, 2006
hmmmm, hmmm, heh! anyways, lets waut n see
Re: Is Jesus God? by mrpataki(m): 3:13pm On Dec 15, 2006
Wait and see what, that all that is not true?

I will say it anyway even at the point of death, that JESUS IS LORD AND GOD OF THE UNIVERSE

I remember one of my favourite song while growing up those years which i will share here:
Go tell it on the mountain,
Over the hills and everywhere,
Go tell it on nairaland that JESUS CHRIST IS LORD!!!!!!
Re: Is Jesus God? by JOSSYTEM(f): 3:40pm On Dec 15, 2006
Thank you Mrpataki

@Babs787 haven't you heard this before God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy spirit? He is three in one.
Re: Is Jesus God? by culasi(m): 4:19pm On Dec 15, 2006
It should not be a question to debate or discuss about. It is clear as water. JESUS is GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Is Jesus God? by babs787(m): 4:37pm On Dec 15, 2006
do all nairalanders agree that JESUS IS GOD?. i meran all christians including jehovah witness, deeper life, catholic, anglican etc.

i want response pls before i continue,

mrpataki, more power to your elbow as your decide to lead many people astry having beren led astray already.

JOSSYTEM

did u hear you say, he is three in one, meaning jesus is the father, the son and also the holy spirit. meaning that 1+1+1 = 3.

aqm still waiting for comments.

very funny and blasphemous
Re: Is Jesus God? by mrpataki(m): 5:06pm On Dec 15, 2006
look here babs787,
If you are this dumb and dull, it is the greatest disaster that i have ever met in Nairaland, did i tell you am leading a pack of people here as your king of pedophiles as done to you?

Even your form of english writing tells me how low in education you managed to attain.

Again, i will say anywhere in this Nairaland (At least one perv'd fellow who needs immediate attention to his brain has decided to label me with that too.) infact, i will use it as my signature here that: JESUS IS LORD AND GOD, bring out whatever your dull skulls can think of and lets go on from there.
Rather than you ranting like a rat that has not eaten for days.
Re: Is Jesus God? by culasi(m): 5:07pm On Dec 15, 2006
babs787:

do all Nairaland users agree that JESUS IS GOD?. i meran all christians including jehovah witness, deeper life, catholic, anglican etc.

i want response please before i continue,

mrpataki, more power to your elbow as your decide to lead many people astry having beren led astray already.

JOSSYTEM

did u hear you say, he is three in one, meaning jesus is the father, the son and also the holy spirit. meaning that 1+1+1 = 3.

aqm still waiting for comments.

very funny and blasphemous

This is my take on this issue. I know most christians do believe that Jesus is GOD but i dont know about Jehova's witness and The sevent day Adventist.
So your answer is yes for all these denominations: deeper life, catholic, anglican.!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Is Jesus God? by mrpataki(m): 5:21pm On Dec 15, 2006
@ Culasi,
be ready to know that he is not willing to know that fact or even acknowledge it.
So there is no point emphasizing that fact to him.
Re: Is Jesus God? by Jaybaba(m): 5:29pm On Dec 15, 2006
Dear Nairalanders,
No matter what we think or how we reason, the truth remains the same:
1 Timothy 3:16
And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.
There are so many other scriptures that point and agree on trinity, This one though speaks about God being Jesus himself.
But we must not confuse trinity to mean Three Gods in One like we were taught to believe as children. We now know today that it is One God in three manifestations, as God the Father and Creator of the Universe. As the Son of God who is the saviour and redeemer of the world. He also manifest today (the latter days as the Holy Spirit of God).

Take this Gospel and you will be blessed by it in the name of Jesus.
Re: Is Jesus God? by mrpataki(m): 5:40pm On Dec 15, 2006
God bless you Jaybaba, culasi, Jossy Tem,
hope you would come back to see what that confused being will bring out to disprove this fact.
Re: Is Jesus God? by Reverend(m): 7:23pm On Dec 15, 2006
There is only one God tongue that is what we are told , But then Jesus is also a God!

I think anybody can be a God if they try hard enough cheesy

Elvis was the King wink
Re: Is Jesus God? by exu(m): 8:32pm On Dec 15, 2006
God shines my shoes.

God makes my breakfast.

God cleans my toilet bowl, immediately after use.

What does that say about me?
Re: Is Jesus God? by Reverend(m): 8:41pm On Dec 15, 2006
Exu

You are a true God! grin
Re: Is Jesus God? by culasi(m): 8:45pm On Dec 15, 2006
exu:

God shines my shoes.

God makes my breakfast.

God cleans my toilet bowl, immediately after use.

What does that say about me?

How dear you! Thou shall not use the name of the Lord thy GOD in Vain.

EXU i think you are very sick.
Re: Is Jesus God? by TayoD(m): 9:07pm On Dec 15, 2006
@Exu,

You failed to mention the most important of it all: God died for you.

And do you know what that makes you? A beloved friend of God. John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
Re: Is Jesus God? by Reverend(m): 9:09pm On Dec 15, 2006
Exu!

I did not know that you were living in Vain. What County is that in?
Re: Is Jesus God? by Ndipe(m): 10:12pm On Dec 15, 2006
We have God the Father, God the Son (Jesus Christ) and God the Holy Spirit. Jesus Christ is God, as the Holy Bible says.

Read Philippians 2:6

http://bible.cc/philippians/2-6.htm
Re: Is Jesus God? by TayoD(m): 10:37pm On Dec 15, 2006
@Ndipe and co,

The point is not that these mockers are unaware that the Bible declares Jesus to be the very God. The point is that they choose not to believe it and consider it to be blasphemous.

However, if only these mockers know that the Most High is the Most Lowly in heart; if only they realise that the High and Lofty One is the most Contrite and Humble of all, then they will not be far away form believing that He has shown us what humility is by taking up the abiliments of flesh and becoming a 'son of man'.
Re: Is Jesus God? by mycutiepie(f): 3:18am On Dec 16, 2006
TayoD:

@Exu,

You failed to mention the most important of it all: God died for you.

And do you know what that makes you? A beloved friend of God. John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

God didn't die for us, it was Jesus that died.
Re: Is Jesus God? by mycutiepie(f): 3:42am On Dec 16, 2006
Jesus is not God shocked
Re: Is Jesus God? by Drusilla(f): 3:44am On Dec 16, 2006
Mrpataki,

Even your form of english writing tells me how low in education you managed to attain.

That is just wrong. You shouldn't be judging souls in the natural. There are a lot of educated folks who believe even worse things. The gospel is preached to the poor, they ain't no more educated today than they was in Jesus days. Let's not have false pretenses about ourselves i.e. Pride for worldly wisdom that God considers foolishness. As the bible says.
Re: Is Jesus God? by Drusilla(f): 3:47am On Dec 16, 2006
@Topic

Jesus is God. The old testament says: I will save you and I give my Glory to no one.

Jesus saved me, Jesus has to be God.
Re: Is Jesus God? by mrpataki(m): 9:21am On Dec 16, 2006
@ drusiila,
Thanks for acknowledging the Lordship of Jesus in your life.

Now making a suggestive statement as quoted by me:
is vey well different from making a factual statement.

What i stated there was a suggestive statement to incite the author of this thread to comeout with whatever points he has mustered up within him.
Drusilla:

Mrpataki,

That is just wrong. You shouldn't be judging souls in the natural. There are a lot of educated folks who believe even worse things. The gospel is preached to the poor, they ain't no more educated today than they was in Jesus days. Let's not have false pretenses about ourselves i.e. Pride for worldly wisdom that God considers foolishness. As the bible says.
Agreed, but the greatest calamity is that there are even a lot more of uneducated folks here who believe in even much more worse things. HE KNOWS NOT, AND KNOWS NOT THAT HE KNOWS NOT IS =? A FOOL!
Hang on the more to this thread and you will understand what i am saying.

@ TayoD,
keep the faith burning!!!!
Re: Is Jesus God? by Analytical(m): 11:13am On Dec 16, 2006
All,

Sure there is no controversy about this one.  Jesus is the very God, the mighty God.  A lot of things in the scriptures don't make sense nor follow logic!  So, if you are looking for logic to prove this one, you miss it.  You talk of logic and sense when the topic is science or philosophy, not God!!!  The reason?

Reason No. 1: It is a mystery!  

1 Timothy 3:16

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Reason No. 2:  It sounds foolish!

1 Corinthians 1:

18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.

20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:

23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.

25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:

27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;

28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:

29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.

30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

The is the reason you talk of belief and faith when the topic is about spiritual things.  It is beyond the senses.  I will cite some references that show Jesus is God manifested in the form of man, but it's left to you to believe what you read.

I will be back.
Re: Is Jesus God? by exu(m): 2:44pm On Dec 16, 2006
It is beyond the senses

If it's 'beyond the senses' then by definition it's beyond all human understanding or imagination.

Essentially it's pointless.

At best it's self-serving.

p.s.
Some of you guys need to lay of that pipe.
Re: Is Jesus God? by Topsido(m): 4:05pm On Dec 16, 2006
He is the son of God.
Re: Is Jesus God? by Analytical(m): 4:29pm On Dec 16, 2006
Not exactly my dear exu. Yes, beyond all human understanding and imagination, but not pointless! The things that are beyond understanding do govern the tangible things. The fact that you don't seem to understand it doesn't render it altogether pointless. God is certainly beyond natural understanding and human comprehension. That is why He is supernatural!

Get my drift?
Re: Is Jesus God? by mrpataki(m): 4:38pm On Dec 16, 2006
[size=16pt]NEVER MOCK GOD![/size]

Make a personal reflection about this. Very interesting, read until the end,

It is written in the Bible (Galatians 6:7): "Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

Here are some men and women who mocked God:

JOHN LENNON:
Some years before during his interview with an American Magazine, he said: "Christianity will end, it will disappear. I do not have to argue about that. I am certain. Jesus was OK, but his subjects were too simple, today we are more famous than Him" (1966). Lennon, after saying that the Beatles were more famous than Jesus Christ, was shot six times.

TANCREDO NEVES (President of Brazil ): During the Presidential campaign, he said if he got 500,000 votes from his party, not even God would remove him from Presidency. Sure he got the votes, but he got sick a day before being made President, then he died.

CAZUZA (Bi-sexual Brazilian composer, singer and poet): During a show in Cane Cão ( Rio de Janeiro ), whilst smoking his cigarette, he puffed out some smoke into the air and said,”God, that's for you." He died at the age of 32 of AIDS in a horrible manner.

THE MAN WHO BUILT TITANIC:
After the construction of Titanic, a reporter asked him how safe the Titanic would be. With an ironic tone he said: "Not even God can sink it"
The result: I think you all know what happened to the Titanic.

MARILYN MONROE:
She was visited by Billy Graham during a presentation of a show. He said the Spirit of God had sent him to preach to her. After hearing what the Preacher had to say, she said,"I don't need your Jesus". A week later, she was found dead in her apartment.

BON SCOTT:
The ex-vocalist of the AC/DC. On one of his 1979 songs he sang: "Don't stop me, I'm going down all the way, down the highway to hell. "On the 19th of February 1980 , Bon Scott was found dead, he had been choked by his own vomit.

CAMPINAS/SP IN 2005
In Campinas , Brazil a group of friends, drunk, went to pick up a friend. The mother accompanied her to the car and was so worried about the drunkenness of her friends and she said to the daughter – holding her hand, who was already seated in the car: "MY DAUGHTER, GO WITH GOD AND MAY HE PROTECT YOU." She responded: “ONLY IF HE (GOD) TRAVELS IN THE BOOT, CAUSE INSIDE HERE IT'S ALREADY FULL“. Hours later, news came by that they had been involved in a fatal accident, everyone had died, and the car could not be recognized what type of car it had been, but surprisingly, the boot was intact. The police said there was no way the boot could have remained intact. To their surprise, inside the boot was a crate of eggs, none were broken, Boot means trunk.

Many more important people have forgotten that there is no other name that was given so much authority as the name o f Jesus. Many have died but only Jesus died and rose again, and he is still alive.

[size=14pt]JESUS!!![/size]
P.S: If it was a joke, you could have sent it to everyone. I have done my part, Jesus said "If you are embarrassed about me, I will also be embarrassed about you before my father. “What benefit does it have, if a man gains the whole world but loses his soul? What can man give in exchange for his soul? (Matthew 16:26

Enjoy your week as you ride on Eagle's wing to victory. Greetings and love to you!
Re: Is Jesus God? by Reverend(m): 5:23pm On Dec 16, 2006
[size=18pt]MOCK GOD IF YOU FEEL LIKE IT![/size]

Nothing will happen to you at all  cheesy

Make a personal reflection about this. Very interesting, read until the end,

It is written in the book of fairy stories (The Bible) (Harry Potter 6:7): "Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

Here are some men and women who mocked God and had absolutely no problems at all. Most of them went on to be some of the most influential people of our time!

Albert Einstein

(March 14, 1879 – April 18, 1955)

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism."

Arthur C Clarke

(December 16, 1917 - )

"It may be that our role on this planet is not to worship God, but to create him."

"Religion is a byproduct of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity?"

James Madison,  American president and political theorist

(1751-1836)

"During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What has been its fruits? More or less, in all places, pride and indolence in the clergy; ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, Famous Atheist & Quotessuperstition, bigotry, and persecution."
"In no instance have . . . the churches been guardians of the liberties of the people."
"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise."

"What influence in fact have Christian ecclesiastical establishments had on civil society? In many instances they have been upholding the thrones of political tyranny. In no instance have they been seen as the guardians of the liberties of the people. Rulers who wished to subvert the public liberty have found in the clergy convenient auxiliaries. A just government, instituted to secure and perpetuate liberty, does not need the clergy."

Samuel Clemens "Mark Twain"

(November 30, 1835 – April 21, 1910)

"Faith is believing something you know ain’t true."

"If Christ were here now there is one thing he would not be -- a Christian."

"It (the Bible) is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies."

"A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows."

"Our Bible reveals to us the character of our god with minute and remorseless exactness,  It is perhaps the most damnatory biography that exists in print anywhere. It makes Nero an angel of light … by contrast."

"I cannot see how a man of any large degree of humorous perception can ever be religious -- unless he purposely shut the eyes of his mind & keep them shut by force."

"If there is a God, he is a malign thug."

Sigmund Freud

(May 6, 1856 – September 23, 1939)

"Neither in my private life nor in my writings, have I ever made a secret of being an out-and-out unbeliever. "

"Religion is comparable to a childhood neurosis."

"The whole thing is so patently infantile, so foreign to reality, that to anyone with a friendly attitude to humanity it is painful to think that the great majority of mortals will never be able to rise above this view of life."

George Bernard Shaw

(born Dublin, 26 July 1856 – died 2 November 1950)

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

"At present there is not a single credible established religion in the world."

Billy Joel

(May 9, 1949, in Bronx, New York - )

"I wasn't raised Catholic, but I used to go to Mass with my friends, and I viewed the whole business as a lot of very enthralling hocus-pocus. There's a guy hanging upon the wall in the church, nailed to a cross and dripping blood, and everybody's blaming themselves for that man's torment, but I said to myself, 'Forget it. I had no hand in that evil. I have no original sin. There’s no blood of any sacred martyr on my hands. I pass on all of this."

"I believe that all important matters have to be settled here, not in the clouds somewhere after we kick off."

Charles Darwin

(12 February 1809 – 19 April 1882)

From the age of forty he was, to use his own words, a complete this-believer in Christianity. He professed himself an Agnostic, regarding the problem of the universe as beyond our solution, "For myself," he wrote, "I do not believe in any revelation. As for a future life, every man must judge for himself between conflicting vague probabilities."
"The mystery of the beginning of all things is insoluble by us, and I for one must be content to remain an agnostic."

"It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science."

Margaret Sanger  -   American birth control activist, founder of Planned Parenthood

(1883-1966)

"No Gods, No Masters."

Thomas Edison

(February 11, 1847 – October 18, 1931)

"Religion is all bunk."

"I cannot believe in the immortality of the soul,  No, all this talk of an existence for us, as individuals, beyond the grave is wrong. It is born of our tenacity of life – our desire to go on living … our dread of coming to an end."
Re: Is Jesus God? by mycutiepie(f): 6:21pm On Dec 16, 2006
Jesus is not God, and if you insist that Jesus is God, who was he calling upon when he was on the crossabout to die? saying if that time could pass ( bi agogo iku yi ba le ye lori mi , but ife tiyin ni o [b]ma se). can't remember where it is in the bible.
Re: Is Jesus God? by mrpataki(m): 8:00pm On Dec 16, 2006
JUST TO MENTION A FEW!

SIGMUND FREUD
(May 6, 1856 – September 23, 1939)

"Neither in my private life nor in my writings, have I ever made a secret of being an out-and-out unbeliever. "

"Religion is comparable to a childhood neurosis."

"The whole thing is so patently infantile, so foreign to reality, that to anyone with a friendly attitude to humanity it is painful to think that the great majority of mortals will never be able to rise above this view of life."
Freud began smoking at age 24, and smoked cigars for most of his life. When his colleague Wilhelm Fliess, a nose and throat specialist, suggested that he quit in order to clear up some nasal catarrhs, Freud was unwilling to do so.  Even after having his jaw removed due to malignancy, he continued to smoke until his death on September 23, 1939. After contracting cancer of the mouth in 1923 at the age of 67, he underwent over 30 operations to treat the disease, and for several years wore a painful prosthesis to seal off his mouth from his nasal cavity!. In the end, Freud could no longer tolerate the pain associated with his cancer. He requested that his personal physician visit him at his London home for the purpose of helping him end his own life. Freud's death was by a physician-assisted morphine overdose.

Note we have seen cases of people been healed of cancer by Jesus.

BILLY JOEL
(May 9, 1949, in Bronx, New York - )

"I wasn't raised Catholic, but I used to go to Mass with my friends, and I viewed the whole business as a lot of very enthralling hocus-pocus. There's a guy hanging upon the wall in the church, nailed to a cross and dripping blood, and everybody's blaming themselves for that man's torment, but I said to myself, 'Forget it. I had no hand in that evil. I have no original sin. There’s no blood of any sacred martyr on my hands. I pass on all of this."

"I believe that all important matters have to be settled here, not in the clouds somewhere after we kick off."
Joel married his business manager Elizabeth Weber on May 20, 1971. The marriage ended in divorce on July 20, 1983.

Joel went on to marry supermodel Christie Brinkley on March 23, 1985. Their marriage produced one child, daughter Alexa Ray Joel, born January 1, 1986. Alexa was given the middle name of Ray after Ray Charles, one of Joel's musical idols. This marriage ended with divorce on August 25, 1994, although the couple remains quite friendly.

In 2004, Joel married 23 year-old Katie Lee. Lee is a graduate of Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. At the time of the wedding, Joel was 54.

Alcohol abuse

In 2002 he entered Silver Hill Hospital, a substance abuse and psychiatric center in New Canaan, Connecticut. In March 2005 Joel checked into a Betty Ford rehabilitation center[10], where he spent 30 days

CHARLES DARWIN
(12 February 1809 – 19 April 1882)

From the age of forty he was, to use his own words, a complete this-believer in Christianity. He professed himself an Agnostic, regarding the problem of the universe as beyond our solution, "For myself," he wrote, "I do not believe in any revelation. As for a future life, every man must judge for himself between conflicting vague probabilities."
"The mystery of the beginning of all things is insoluble by us, and I for one must be content to remain an agnostic."

"It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science."
For the rest of his life he was repeatedly incapacitated with episodes of stomach pains, vomiting, severe boils, palpitations, trembling and other symptoms, particularly during times of stress, such as when attending meetings or dealing with controversy over his theory.

The cause of Darwin's illness was unknown during his lifetime and attempts at treatment had little success. Recent attempts at diagnosis have suggested Chagas disease caught from insect bites in South America, Ménière's disease or various psychological illnesses as possible causes, without any conclusive results.

His belief continued to dwindle over the time, and with the death of his daughter Annie in 1851, Darwin finally lost all faith in Christianity. He continued to give support to the local church and help with parish work, but on Sundays would go for a walk while his family attended
church. In later life, Darwin thought it better to look at pain and suffering as the result of general laws rather than direct intervention by God. When asked about his religious views, he wrote that he had never been an atheist in the sense of denying the existence of a God, and that generally "an Agnostic would be the more correct description of my state of mind."

After Darwin's death, rumours that he had converted to Christianity ensued, most prominently the "Lady Hope Story", published in 1915 which claimed he had converted on his sickbed.

So whats the drift?
A LIFE WITHOUT CHRIST IS A LIFE FULL OF CRISIS! wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Kenneth Copeland Daily Devotional / Transgender People Can Be Baptized Catholic, Serve As Godparents, Vatican Says / Woman Reports Noisy Church To LASEPA. Forces Them To Change Venue Of Vigil

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100