Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,864 members, 7,817,557 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:20 PM

Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage (36791 Views)

Houses Burnt In Naka, Benue By Men In Military Camouflage (Photos) / The Section 419 Of Nigeria Criminal Code Law. Police Should Stop Intimidation / Fayose Is Challenging Buhari’s Authority By Wearing Military Camouflage- APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by jmoore(m): 1:26pm On Dec 09, 2016
Chai!!! Zombies with no brain defending their master. grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by koboko69: 1:27pm On Dec 09, 2016
Princedapace:

Bros....I only commented becus u quoted the law and not sense..

Law does not make sense at times..

And president and governors are allowed to wear military outfit to important ocassion and what is important occasion is not mentioned by the law..

Fayose won in the law court big time.. smiley

Commonsense is actually used in Law sometimes!

1 Like

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by TheRealestGuy(m): 1:28pm On Dec 09, 2016
koboko69:

Condemn Buhari for what?
Comprehension ability obviously impaired.

Ignored...

2 Likes

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by koboko69: 1:30pm On Dec 09, 2016
fabuloz1:

Sequel to the aforementioned, Fayose is right in wearing a military camo. Even if he like wearing it to play football, he's on point. I don't know why the person way far above me is hell-bent in comprehending a simple law. As far as he's a public office holder. He knows the law and that was why he wore it. But APC clowns that doesn't know anyhing concerning Nigerian affairs be wanting to cause a rift between him and the president. Even Buhari knows better hence the silence.

Lol. Buhari have been silence about Fayose from day 1. If Fayose doea not have common sense, it doesn't mean his followers should lack one
Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by koboko69: 1:33pm On Dec 09, 2016
paragon40:
the section is express nothing like special occasion... Can u tell me what can be more important than presentation of 'budget' a Governor is the CSO of his state..dazzol lastly we Morality is not law...don't fgt..

Lol. But your common sense will suddenly kick in, and morality will suddenly become law when the case is about Buhari wearing a military camouflage to present a budget. So much from shameless hypocrites!
Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by koboko69: 1:34pm On Dec 09, 2016
Kenako:
From what I just read, the camouflage policy only applies to clothes. I intend to bring these cars in... Hope I won't be harassed!

Lol. U like trouble fah?
Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by zicoraads: 1:35pm On Dec 09, 2016
koboko69:

Lol. U clowns. cheesy. Nothing is wrong is wearing a military camouflage in a civil dispensation to present a budget? grin grin cheesy
What is difficult for you to understand in this? The law does not stipulate where the President or Governor can wear it to. It says they can wear it. So even if any of them likes, they should wear it to the moon or another galaxy, they will still be within their rights to do so.

4 Likes

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by fabuloz1(m): 1:37pm On Dec 09, 2016
koboko69:

Lol. Buhari have been silence about Fayose from day 1. If Fayose doea not have common sense, it doesn't mean his followers should lack one
Guy,i think your problem with Fayose is that he wore the camo to present budget to the state house of assembly. I want you to peruse and read that section once more and tell me where the law specify where and how to wear such camo. Even military didn't complain but civilians going berserk about the issue undecided

4 Likes

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by paragon40(m): 1:37pm On Dec 09, 2016
koboko69:

Lol. But your common sense will suddenly kick in, and morality will suddenly become law when the case is about Buhari wearing a military camouflage to present a budget. So much from shameless hypocrites!
better use ur time for something better bro...camouflage no epp me...na budget dey change life...when is he going to present his own budget keeps jumping date wink

1 Like

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by Nobody: 1:46pm On Dec 09, 2016
Fayoshe

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by koboko69: 1:46pm On Dec 09, 2016
fabuloz1:

Guy,i think your problem with Fayose is that he wore the camo to present budget to the state house of assembly. I want you to peruse and read that section once more and tell me where the law specify where and how to wear such camo. Even military didn't complain but civilians going berserk about the issue undecided

Lol. You are the civilian here grin

1 Like

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by Jesusloveyou: 1:46pm On Dec 09, 2016
adioolayi:
Go arrest Fayose na.. or what are you waiting for
I blame the army for not giving fayose thorough beating of his life for disobeying their law

1 Like

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by Nobody: 1:59pm On Dec 09, 2016
and where is the law that protects citizens from those degenerates

I didnt see where the punishment is death or beating

2 Likes

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by fabuloz1(m): 2:09pm On Dec 09, 2016
koboko69:

Lol. You are the civilian here grin
Yeah!! I'm a proud civilian just cause i don't like anything force. But still on the matter, The law stipulates office holders to wear such camo. He's the chief security officer of the state cool

3 Likes

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by Larrykaysail(m): 2:14pm On Dec 09, 2016
koboko69:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWzGnkHubHM

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4048938_cymera20160801194102_jpeg96eba107328d571b11efa2a8dab5b926

In view of the constant harassment of civilians on military camouflage by men of the armed forces, it is imperative to educate the public that wearing of such is actually against the law and a criminal act.

Section 110 of Nigeria Criminal Code Act states

110. [b]Any person who- Unlawfully wearing the uniform of forces, etc

(1) not being a person serving in any of the armed forces of Nigeria, wears the uniform or any part of the uniform of such forces, or any the armed dress having the appearance or bearing any of the regimental or other distinctive marks of such uniforms; or

(2) not being a person holding any office or authority under the Government of Nigeria or of any part thereof, wears any uniform or distinctive badge or mark or carries any token calculated to convey the impression that such person holds any office or authority under the government;

is guilty of an offence and is liable to imprisonment for one month, or to a fine of ten naira, unless he proves that he had the permission of the President or of the Governor of a State or wear such uniform or dress, badge or mark or to carry such token:

Provided that this section shall not apply to the wearing of any uniform or dress in the course of a stage play or in any bona fide public entertainment
[/b]

111. Any person who sells or gives any uniform, or part of a or any dress, badge or mark, as in the last preceding section mentioned, to any person who is not authorised to wear the same, is guilty of an offence and is liable to the penalties prescribed in the said section.

The Camouflage uniform is part of the military uniform. The Red bolded implies that even if the military camouflage is not exactly the same, as long as it has the pattern and resemblance of the Camouflage u have comitted a criminal act.

The Green bolded is an exception provided by the law, how ever Section 251 brings a limit to that exception

SECTION 251:

251. Any person who, not being a person serving in any of the armed or police forces of Nigeria, wears the uniform of any of these forces, or any dress having the appearance or bearing any of the regimental or other distinctive marks of any such uniform, in such manner or in such circumstances as to be likely to bring contempt on that uniform, or employs any other person so to wear such uniform or dress, is guilty of a simple offence, and is liable to imprisonment for three months or to a fine of forty naira.

REPLICATION OF SECTION 110(1) IN LAGOS STATE LAW (2011)

The above law is replicated in Section 79 and 80 of the Lagos crimal law code but a [b]Jail term of 2 years is [/b]stipulated against the 1-3months of the Federal law.

It is also imperative to tell the sectionalists and others who are quick to call Nigeira a Zoo that many other countries also have laws banning camouflage clothings by civilians. The law is in effect in India, Philippines etc.
. Story story I rock camouflage without fear,

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by infinitty(m): 2:16pm On Dec 09, 2016
Omoakinsuyi:
So when will thugnor Ayo Fayose be arrested?

not being a person holding any office or authority under the Government of Nigeria or of any part thereof, wears any uniform or distinctive badge or mark or carries any token calculated to convey the impression that such person holds any office or authority under the government;
Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by infinitty(m): 2:20pm On Dec 09, 2016
Omoakinsuyi:
So when will thugnor Ayo Fayose be arrested?

not being a person holding any office or authority under the Government of Nigeria or of any part thereof, wears any uniform or distinctive badge or mark or carries any token calculated to convey the impression that such person holds any office or authority under the government;

unless he proves that he had the permission of the President or of the Governor of a State or wear such uniform or dress, badge or mark or to carry such token:
Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by tiwiex(m): 2:22pm On Dec 09, 2016
HQuadreal:
Ten Naira Fine #lol.

It reveals something. All our senators and lawmakers o dey work. I thought reviewing these was part of their work. Do u know penalty for building an oil pipeline without land clearance is 100 naija per kilo. Maybe they amended dat 1. Anyway, Fayose owes gives 10 naija.
Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by omonnakoda: 2:24pm On Dec 09, 2016
It is important to define the terms. A piece of clothing may appear similar to military uniform but still not match the "definition" .Also important is "Mens Rea" which in this case would mean an intent to mislead or deceive unlawfully. The intent cannot be ignored.
We all see what the Minister of sports wears. Is that "Military" uniform?

1 Like

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by PAQ(m): 2:27pm On Dec 09, 2016
I hope there is an existing law like this in the Penal code, cos the Criminal code is only applicable in the southern part of Nigeria while the Penal code is for the North.
Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by jnoz23(m): 2:44pm On Dec 09, 2016
koboko69:
The President is the commander in Chief of Armed forces hence at liberty to wear on the military uniform to specific functions.

Wearing of military camouflage to present budget to the state Assembly in a democratic dispensation is provoking the law and pushing the immunity clause too far.

Should Buhari do the same, the social media and country would have been on fire telling us we are back in military era. But the hypocritical wailing dundees will never see anything wrong as long as its one of their adopted criminals that is perpetuating the act. It is well with Nigeria

For those who are quick to make comparisons with USA and some developed countries. No law banning such there, but their are laws banming such in Nigeria and some other countries.

If u are not ok with that, u can move to those countries and dress as u like

well said
Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by adedehinbo(m): 2:46pm On Dec 09, 2016
Umartins1:

You are an unrepentant zombie. Go back to the law; section 110, subsection 2 and educate yourself. That is if your zombeeism can allow your dollop-head to read and comprehend simple English sentence.
u still dey wail abi oya go wear army camouflage make u come meet jesus thunder for your face
Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by yak(m): 2:50pm On Dec 09, 2016
ghost1718:
I will wear it and hold 10 naira up to 50pic to settle police and army,

EXACTLY. Nigeria and obsolete laws eh
on a related note, I saw something that says "...stage play"
Fayose went for a stage play in the state Assembly

1 Like

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by HQuadreal: 3:10pm On Dec 09, 2016
tiwiex:

It reveals something. All our senators and lawmakers o dey work. I thought reviewing these was part of their work. Do u know penalty for building an oil pipeline without land clearance is 100 naija per kilo. Maybe they amended dat 1. Anyway, Fayose owes gives 10 naija.
It funny ooo.
All is well is sha #9ja I hail ooo.
Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by benjibabs(m): 3:14pm On Dec 09, 2016
WOW!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked @ video from around 2:40 - 2:42. Did the guy survive the episode as I saw the soldier at the extreme left of the screen raising his gun immediately the soldier the guy was holding on to broke lose.

The law says a month in prison or N10 fine. And what exactly will killing the civilian they are supposed to be protecting do for them? I'm sure those soldiers have no freaking idea that civilians could even wear camo with permission. Gosh!
Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by basadenet: 3:19pm On Dec 09, 2016
I am sure you guys are referring to Gov. FAYOSE for wearing military camouflage. by law he has the right judging by the below section.

(2) not being a person holding any office or authority under the Government of Nigeria or of any part thereof, wears any uniform or distinctive badge or mark or carries any token calculated to convey the impression that such person holds any office or authority under the government;

is guilty of an offence and is liable to imprisonment for one month, or to a fine of ten naira, unless he proves that he had the permission of the President or of the Governor of a State or wear such uniform or dress, badge or mark or to carry such token:

Provided that this section shall not apply to the wearing of any uniform or dress in the course of a stage play or in any bona fide public entertainment
Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by Nobody: 3:25pm On Dec 09, 2016
The penalty is one month in jail or a N10 fine, adjusted for inflation. The penalty presupposes the offender will pass through the criminal justice system at some point. So, the soldiers malign our criminal justice system by taking law into their hands.

Point is, if a soldier beats up a fellow in camouflage, the camouflage wearer and the soldier are both breaking our laws.
Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by Kakamorufu(m): 3:42pm On Dec 09, 2016
we can't do without Mercedes. rocking my camo

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by Nobody: 4:11pm On Dec 09, 2016
Larrykaysail:
. Story story I rock camouflage without fear,
You are probably in the US, where it is legal to do so.

1 Like

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by Adeolu4(m): 4:20pm On Dec 09, 2016
Section 110 sec 2 says if he her she does not occupy seat of authority. Fayose occupies a seat of authority so I think he is qualified to wear d army cloth

1 Like

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by benjibabs(m): 4:34pm On Dec 09, 2016
Phlegmwash:
The penalty is one month in jail or a N10 fine, adjusted for inflation. The penalty presupposes the offender will pass through the criminal justice system at some point. So, the soldiers malign our criminal justice system by taking law into their hands.

Point is, if a soldier beats up a fellow in camouflage, the camouflage wearer and the soldier are both breaking our laws.

@ bold part is understatement of what the soldiers were planning to do to the poor fellow in that video. Look at the video from 2:40 up; one of them was raising up his gun and that was why the guy was holding on to the other soldier. Hopefully, he survived the ordeal. cry
Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by advocatebaba(m): 4:37pm On Dec 09, 2016
Noblechykk:

You really need to see a doctor asap
BRO TAKE IT EASY ON DIS IGNORANT MALU.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerians In UK Protest Against President Buhari's Re-Election Bid / Benson Abounu Leads Night Surveillance At Entry Points Into Benue State / Stay-At-Home: Vehicle Conveying Tomatoes, Set Ablaze In Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.