Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:53 AM

Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage (36825 Views)

Houses Burnt In Naka, Benue By Men In Military Camouflage (Photos) / The Section 419 Of Nigeria Criminal Code Law. Police Should Stop Intimidation / Fayose Is Challenging Buhari’s Authority By Wearing Military Camouflage- APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by omonnakoda: 12:52pm On Dec 09, 2016
koboko69:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWzGnkHubHM

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4048938_cymera20160801194102_jpeg96eba107328d571b11efa2a8dab5b926

In view of the constant harassment of civilians on military camouflage by men of the armed forces, it is imperative to educate the public that wearing of such is actually against the law and a criminal act.

Section 110 of Nigeria Criminal Code Act states

110. [b]Any person who- Unlawfully wearing the uniform of forces, etc

(1) not being a person serving in any of the armed forces of Nigeria, wears the uniform or any part of the uniform of such forces, or any the armed dress having the appearance or bearing any of the regimental or other distinctive marks of such uniforms; or

(2) not being a person holding any office or authority under the Government of Nigeria or of any part thereof, wears any uniform or distinctive badge or mark or carries any token calculated to convey the impression that such person holds any office or authority under the government;

is guilty of an offence and is liable to imprisonment for one month, or to a fine of ten naira, unless he proves that he had the permission of the President or of the Governor of a State or wear such uniform or dress, badge or mark or to carry such token:

Provided that this section shall not apply to the wearing of any uniform or dress in the course of a stage play or in any bona fide public entertainment
[/b]

111. Any person who sells or gives any uniform, or part of a or any dress, badge or mark, as in the last preceding section mentioned, to any person who is not authorised to wear the same, is guilty of an offence and is liable to the penalties prescribed in the said section.

The Camouflage uniform is part of the military uniform. The Red bolded implies that even if the military camouflage is not exactly the same, as long as it has the pattern and resemblance of the Camouflage u have comitted a criminal act.

The Green bolded is an exception provided by the law, how ever Section 251 brings a limit to that exception

SECTION 251:

251. Any person who, not being a person serving in any of the armed or police forces of Nigeria, wears the uniform of any of these forces, or any dress having the appearance or bearing any of the regimental or other distinctive marks of any such uniform, in such manner or in such circumstances as to be likely to bring contempt on that uniform, or employs any other person so to wear such uniform or dress, is guilty of a simple offence, and is liable to imprisonment for three months or to a fine of forty naira.

REPLICATION OF SECTION 110(1) IN LAGOS STATE LAW (2011)

The above law is replicated in Section 79 and 80 of the Lagos crimal law code but a [b]Jail term of 2 years is [/b]stipulated against the 1-3months of the Federal law.

It is also imperative to tell the sectionalists and others who are quick to call Nigeira a Zoo that many other countries also have laws banning camouflage clothings by civilians. The law is in effect in India, Philippines etc.

The law does not ban the wearing of camouflage it is important to comprehend fully the meaning of the words and the definition of military uniform.
The military does not have a patent on "camouflage" and we cannot interpret this law without specific definition of the term " military uniform"

At any rate law enforcement is not the role of the military. Soldiers do not have ANY lawful authority to intervene and arrest people even when an offence like this is committed

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by Blurryface(m): 12:52pm On Dec 09, 2016
Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by TheAdvocate(m): 12:52pm On Dec 09, 2016
But weed smoking reggea musicians & othet musicians can wear it abi?

Go and arrest him so that we can rest pls
Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by koboko69: 12:53pm On Dec 09, 2016
paragon40:
does that violates any law?? No sir..

(2) not being a person holding any office or authority under the Government of Nigeria or of any part thereof, wears any uniform or distinctive badge or mark or carries any token calculated to convey the impression that such person holds any office or authority under the government;......

On special occasions just like the president does, not to present a budget to the assembly. I ask again, if Buhari should wear a como to the natio assembly to present a budget what will u clowns say?
Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by tempest01(m): 12:53pm On Dec 09, 2016
He needs the permission of the president or governor....

I think Fayose gave himself the permission...hahahahah grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by grownaira: 12:55pm On Dec 09, 2016
ok good
Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by Delonn(m): 12:55pm On Dec 09, 2016
koboko69:

Permission to wear to present a state budget to the state Assembly in a democratic dispensation? Should Buhari do this, are u gonna say the same thing? Be honest with your hypocritical sef.

Lalasticlala

Please what is Fayose offence in this? They are laws guiding us in this Country and we have authorities that punish law breakers. Let's stop this media trial.

7 Likes

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by stefanweeks: 12:55pm On Dec 09, 2016
koboko69:

Permission to wear to present a state budget to the state Assembly in a democratic dispensation? Should Buhari do this, are u gonna say the same thing? Be honest with your hypocritical sef.

Lalasticlala

keep quiet and learn

6 Likes

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by koboko69: 12:56pm On Dec 09, 2016
omonnakoda:

The law does not ban the wearing of camouflage it is important to comprehend fully the meaning of the words and the definition of military uniform.
The military does not have a patent on "camouflage" and we cannot interpret this law without specific definition of the term " military uniform"

At any rate law enforcement is not the role of the military. Soldiers do not have ANY lawful authority to intervene and arrest people even when an offence like this is committed

Lol. U are a very big clown. Please read again the criminal act and give me another meaning to it.
If u feel u are above the law, u can a camouflage and walk near a barracks, when accosted tell the military they don't have a patent for camouflage grin
Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by blackprowler: 12:57pm On Dec 09, 2016
koboko69:
The President is the commander in Chief of Armed forces hence at liberty to wear on the military uniform to specific functions.

Wearing of military camouflage to present budget to the state Assembly in a democratic dispensation is provoking the law and pushing the immunity clause too far.

Should Buhari do the same, the social media and country would have been on fire telling us we are back in military era. But the hypocritical wailing dundees will never see anything wrong as long as its one of their adopted criminals that is perpetuating the act. It is well with Nigeria

For those who are quick to make comparisons with USA and some developed countries. No law banning such there, but their are laws banming such in Nigeria and some other countries.

If u are not ok with that, u can move to those countries and dress as u like

1. Didn't you see where governors and president have the authority to wear the uniform? Or your confirmation bias has blinded you?

2. What do you understand by laws, the state and society as a whole? Today, obamacare is law. Wait till Jan 20th next year and see what will happen. Laws are made by men for society and are not immutable. This law is WRONG and must be changed. (note the 10 naira fine). They went ahead to talk about the regimental and other insignia which I also talked about yesterday. No one should batter and brutalise you because you wore and odd camouflage trouser here or a cap there. There's something called a SPIRIT of a law, not just the letter.

So, please go and relax. With respect to Fayose, YOU ARE WRONG. On the general point, people should not wear camouflages then, but should go ahead and work with their NASS representatives to REPEAL the law to the extent it impinges on their freedom to wear what they want within reason. But of course, all these don't matter because Nigeria is a jungle

11 Likes

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by koboko69: 12:58pm On Dec 09, 2016
stefanweeks:

keep quiet and learn

Hypocrites. Let Buhari try what Fayose did, we will see u clowns dancing unclad on every social media on how Buhari is a tyrant. Teach me i want to learn grin cheesy
Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by googlepikins: 12:59pm On Dec 09, 2016
koboko69:

unless he proves that he had the permission of the President or of the Governor of a State or wear such uniform or dress, badge or mark or to carry such token:

you illiterates are the one taking us back to 1912 era. I just quoted your write-up. Is fayose not a governor. You and buhari should go back to primary school

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by koboko69: 1:01pm On Dec 09, 2016
Princedapace:

Lolz.. I can't believe you put up this kind of argument even after quoting the law.. It shows u are not a law practioner.. My brother.. Fayose did not break the law if u and I are to GI by the law you just quoted..

Forget about what people will say if it was done by Buhari.. Support is a choice.. Just the way those who are against fayose condemned him for wearing the military uniform...is the same way those who are against buhari will condemn him if he wears it.. But the point is...he didn't break the law.. I can't believe u put up this argument. Naaaa u just fall ma hand bro.. U need to apologize to logical reasoning ...pls

U need to appologise to logical reasoning. What sense does it make dressing in military camouflages to present a budget to a state Assembly in a civilian dispensation. Let's call a spade a spade. What is wrong is wrong.
Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by koboko69: 1:04pm On Dec 09, 2016
googlepikins:
you illiterates are the one taking us back to 1912 era. I just quoted your write-up. Is fayose not a governor. You and buhari should go back to primary school

Lol. U clowns. cheesy. Nothing is wrong is wearing a military camouflage in a civil dispensation to present a budget? grin grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by Kevinlee21(m): 1:06pm On Dec 09, 2016
Did anybody watch the video? See the way the guy dey stammer when soldier dey ask am question, he said Ibadan like 7 times without soldiers aking him... As for me I don obey ohhh

1 Like

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by stagger: 1:06pm On Dec 09, 2016
The issue here is whether the punishment for such an offence is for soldiers to beat the person up, or to hand the person over to the police for prosecution.

5 Likes

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by fabuloz1(m): 1:07pm On Dec 09, 2016
koboko69:
The President is the commander in Chief of Armed forces hence at liberty to wear on the military uniform to specific functions.

Wearing of military camouflage to present budget to the state Assembly in a democratic dispensation is provoking the law and pushing the immunity clause too far.

Should Buhari do the same, the social media and country would have been on fire telling us we are back in military era. But the hypocritical wailing dundees will never see anything wrong as long as its one of their adopted criminals that is perpetuating the act. It is well with Nigeria

For those who are quick to make comparisons with USA and some developed countries. No law banning such there, but their are laws banming such in Nigeria and some other countries.

If u are not ok with that, u can move to those countries and dress as u like
Sequel to the aforementioned, Fayose is right in wearing a military camo. Even if he like wearing it to play football, he's on point. I don't know why the person way far above me is hell-bent in comprehending a simple law. As far as he's a public office holder. He knows the law and that was why he wore it. But APC clowns that doesn't know anyhing concerning Nigerian affairs be wanting to cause a rift between him and the president. Even Buhari knows better hence the silence.

8 Likes

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by paragon40(m): 1:07pm On Dec 09, 2016
koboko69:

On special occasions just like the president does, not to present a budget to the assembly. I ask again, if Buhari should wear a como to the natio assembly to present a budget what will u clowns say?
the section is express nothing like special occasion... Can u tell me what can be more important than presentation of 'budget' a Governor is the CSO of his state..dazzol lastly Morality is not law...don't fgt..

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by Noblechykk(m): 1:08pm On Dec 09, 2016
koboko69:

U need to appologise to logical reasoning. What sense does it make dressing in military camouflages to present a budget to a state Assembly in a civilian dispensation. Let's call a spade a spade. What is wrong is wrong.
You really need to see a doctor asap

6 Likes

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by Nobody: 1:09pm On Dec 09, 2016
I go prefer to pay fine than to enter recruits hand.
Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by Valkyr: 1:11pm On Dec 09, 2016
lipsrsealed
Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by omonnakoda: 1:11pm On Dec 09, 2016
koboko69:

Lol. U are a very big clown. Please read again the criminal act and give me another meaning to it.
If u feel u are above the law, u can a camouflage and walk near a barracks, when accosted tell the military they don't have a patent for camouflage grin
Clown ?? Because I express my view? Is your mother a clown?? Guy ,The internet does not mean you can address people anyhow

6 Likes

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by Heffalump(m): 1:12pm On Dec 09, 2016
Umartins1:

You are an unrepentant zombie. Go back to the law; section 110, subsection 2 and educate yourself. That is if your zombeeism can allow your dollop-head to read and comprehend simple English sentence.

Guy, but don't you think that Gov. Fayose wore the military uniform to a wrong place? Dressing in military camouflage to present the year's budget to the State Assembly is out of place. We all know he has immunity covered by law, but what was he trying to prove? This is best known to him alone.
If he had worn it to a miltary function or visited a military formation, then nobody will frown at that. This is akin to doing the right thing at the wrong time. undecided
Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by Princedapace(m): 1:14pm On Dec 09, 2016
koboko69:

Bros....I only commented becus u quoted the law and not sense..

Law does not make sense at times..

And president and governors are allowed to wear military outfit to important ocassion and what is important occasion is not mentioned by the law..

Fayose won in the law court big time.. smiley

4 Likes

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by TheRealestGuy(m): 1:16pm On Dec 09, 2016
koboko69:

So you can condemn Fayose but we can't condemn your tin god buhari?

undecided

4 Likes

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by EmekaBlue(m): 1:19pm On Dec 09, 2016
who camouflage epp

1 Like

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by Infoay: 1:21pm On Dec 09, 2016
The Nigeria Army! hmmmmmmm
Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by Kenako: 1:22pm On Dec 09, 2016
From what I just read, the camouflage policy only applies to clothes. I intend to bring these cars in... Hope I won't be harassed!

1 Like

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by Enyimbamercedes: 1:22pm On Dec 09, 2016
koboko69:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWzGnkHubHM

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4048938_cymera20160801194102_jpeg96eba107328d571b11efa2a8dab5b926

In view of the constant harassment of civilians on military camouflage by men of the armed forces, it is imperative to educate the public that wearing of such is actually against the law and a criminal act.

Section 110 of Nigeria Criminal Code Act states

110. [b]Any person who- Unlawfully wearing the uniform of forces, etc

(1) not being a person serving in any of the armed forces of Nigeria, wears the uniform or any part of the uniform of such forces, or any the armed dress having the appearance or bearing any of the regimental or other distinctive marks of such uniforms; or

(2) not being a person holding any office or authority under the Government of Nigeria or of any part thereof, wears any uniform or distinctive badge or mark or carries any token calculated to convey the impression that such person holds any office or authority under the government;

is guilty of an offence and is liable to imprisonment for one month, or to a fine of ten naira, unless he proves that he had the permission of the President or of the Governor of a State or wear such uniform or dress, badge or mark or to carry such token:

Provided that this section shall not apply to the wearing of any uniform or dress in the course of a stage play or in any bona fide public entertainment
[/b]

111. Any person who sells or gives any uniform, or part of a or any dress, badge or mark, as in the last preceding section mentioned, to any person who is not authorised to wear the same, is guilty of an offence and is liable to the penalties prescribed in the said section.

The Camouflage uniform is part of the military uniform. The Red bolded implies that even if the military camouflage is not exactly the same, as long as it has the pattern and resemblance of the Camouflage u have comitted a criminal act.

The Green bolded is an exception provided by the law, how ever Section 251 brings a limit to that exception

SECTION 251:

251. Any person who, not being a person serving in any of the armed or police forces of Nigeria, wears the uniform of any of these forces, or any dress having the appearance or bearing any of the regimental or other distinctive marks of any such uniform, in such manner or in such circumstances as to be likely to bring contempt on that uniform, or employs any other person so to wear such uniform or dress, is guilty of a simple offence, and is liable to imprisonment for three months or to a fine of forty naira.

REPLICATION OF SECTION 110(1) IN LAGOS STATE LAW (2011)

The above law is replicated in Section 79 and 80 of the Lagos crimal law code but a [b]Jail term of 2 years is [/b]stipulated against the 1-3months of the Federal law.

It is also imperative to tell the sectionalists and others who are quick to call Nigeira a Zoo that many other countries also have laws banning camouflage clothings by civilians. The law is in effect in India, Philippines etc.

If the governor of a state can give permission to wear camouflage then a governor wearing camouflage hasn't committed any offense. Fayose gave himself permission to wear the camouflage.

5 Likes

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by ngolokante(m): 1:24pm On Dec 09, 2016
bigFOOTcaveMAN:
Typical senseless Zombiephilic thread. Fvck the army uniform!

N40 per offeinse .... ok na.

N40 × 365days = N14,600.

Oya Buratai, come and take the chicken change

I take God beg you, if you are in Abuja, please wear any item of our camouflage and pass in front of Mogadishu Cantonment (Abacha Barracks) by 1400hrs (2 o'clock) tomorrow Sat 10 Dec 16 and lets see whether #14,600 will be enough to treat you...Since human "tryer" is your middle name and you like trying people

2 Likes

Re: Criminal Code Act Banning Civilians From Wearing Military Camouflage by koboko69: 1:26pm On Dec 09, 2016
TheRealestGuy:
So you can condemn Fayose but we can't condemn your tin god buhari?

undecided

Condemn Buhari for what?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

2023: Danjuma And Christian Elders Endorse Peter Obi / If You Could Exchange Your Governor For Another Governor, Who Would It Be? / Soldier And Policemen Fight In A Bank In Calabar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.