Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,157 members, 7,818,508 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:35 PM

Supreme Court Strips Governors Of Power To Sack Local Government Officials - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Supreme Court Strips Governors Of Power To Sack Local Government Officials (22501 Views)

Orji Kalu Hosts 8 Ambassadors, Top Government Officials, Others At His Home / Buhari Hosts The Governors Of Yobe, Sokoto And Jigawa States, At The State House / Governors Of Bayelsa, Abia, Delta Akwa Ibom, States Arrive Owerri (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Supreme Court Strips Governors Of Power To Sack Local Government Officials by castrokins(m): 11:00am On Dec 10, 2016
Good Riddance. Next Is Financial Autonomy.
Re: Supreme Court Strips Governors Of Power To Sack Local Government Officials by Nobody: 11:20am On Dec 10, 2016
Does this means those sacked by other state governors or state house will regain their mandate?
Re: Supreme Court Strips Governors Of Power To Sack Local Government Officials by Blue3k(m): 11:27am On Dec 10, 2016
tuniski:

Is that the reason why there is immunity clause in the USA's constitution too, since we copied them?

I'm not sure what your talking about. From what I remember we have something called the privileges and immuinities clause. This entitles citezens in one state to have same rights as people from another state.

This is starkly different from Nigeria where everything based on state of origin. A person in United States can become citezens of multiple states by simple residing in state x amount of time. Then you'll have sane rights to hold office and vote in the elections.

The only activities the clause doesn't cover is commercial in United States. States can discriminate against our of state licenses, charge higher for college for out of state students. The state can charge more for out of state hunters and fishers for license.

Source:

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Privileges+and+Immunities

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Strips Governors Of Power To Sack Local Government Officials by tuniski: 11:38am On Dec 10, 2016
Blue3k:

I'm not sure what your talking about. From what I remember we have something called the privileges and immuinities clause. This entitles citezens in one state to have same rights as people from another state.

This is starkly different from Nigeria where everything based on state of origin. A person in United States can become citezens of multiple states by simple residing in state x amount of time. Then you'll have sane rights to hold office and vote in the elections.

The only activities the clause doesn't cover is commercial in United States. States can discriminate against our of state licenses, charge higher for college for out of state students. The state can charge more for out of state hunters and fishers for license.

Source:

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Privileges+and+Immunities
Immunity clause here refers to the cover executives that is president, VP, gov and deputy gov have from prosecution while in office.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Strips Governors Of Power To Sack Local Government Officials by Nobody: 11:41am On Dec 10, 2016
#truefederalismwewant

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Strips Governors Of Power To Sack Local Government Officials by cyberguy72(m): 11:47am On Dec 10, 2016
doctokwus:
Has anyone noticed that since the start of the cleansing of the SC,judgements now emanating from it now looks like that done by men that are worthy of the apex court of any land.I expect more groundbreaking judgements as more cases are decided.Its no longer judgements of the highest bidder.

Rather the judiciary is on revenge mission against the government of the day
Re: Supreme Court Strips Governors Of Power To Sack Local Government Officials by ExInferis(m): 11:58am On Dec 10, 2016
baybeeboi:
Atiku2019

shocked shocked shocked

I'm with you!

Heck, Atiku NOW!!

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Strips Governors Of Power To Sack Local Government Officials by Blue3k(m): 12:00pm On Dec 10, 2016
tuniski:

Immunity clause here refers to the cover executives that is president, VP, gov and deputy gov have from prosecution while in office.

It would fall under sovereign immuity or presidential immuity. It protects against civil lawsuits for sitting presidents carrying out duties of office. The law doesn't non presidential acts. Criminal acts like bribery and treason supposed to have people impeached. Sadly nigeria not serious country. That's why we're running collecting Abacha loot.

I don't see where it covers crimal lawsuits either.

Sources:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/1997/05/28/opinion/the-limits-of-presidential-immunity.html

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/U.S+President

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Strips Governors Of Power To Sack Local Government Officials by bashydemy(m): 12:02pm On Dec 10, 2016
Good decision i love this..
Re: Supreme Court Strips Governors Of Power To Sack Local Government Officials by Jerryojozy(m): 12:02pm On Dec 10, 2016
Nice decision. In government text book we have 3 tiers of government but in reality we 2. Good judgement from the supreme Court

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Strips Governors Of Power To Sack Local Government Officials by ogunsbanjul(m): 12:12pm On Dec 10, 2016
Congratulations to those democratically elected local govt chairmen in Rivers state sacked by governor. Change begins with Ekiti and must continue
Re: Supreme Court Strips Governors Of Power To Sack Local Government Officials by doctokwus: 12:12pm On Dec 10, 2016
cyberguy72:
Rather the judiciary is on revenge mission against the government of the day
Uhn.Thats another angle.
Re: Supreme Court Strips Governors Of Power To Sack Local Government Officials by sleepyeyez(m): 12:17pm On Dec 10, 2016
Dope Development. Some won't understand how great n far reachin dis decision wil b b til later. Nice one judi,judi. I been don lose hope for wer una dey
Re: Supreme Court Strips Governors Of Power To Sack Local Government Officials by precious1967(m): 12:28pm On Dec 10, 2016
season one
Re: Supreme Court Strips Governors Of Power To Sack Local Government Officials by tuniski: 12:34pm On Dec 10, 2016
Blue3k:

It would fall under sovereign immuity or presidential immuity. It protects against civil lawsuits for sitting presidents carrying out duties of office. The law doesn't non presidential acts. Criminal acts like bribery and treason supposed to have people impeached. Sadly nigeria not serious country. That's why we're running collecting Abacha loot.

I don't see where it covers crimal lawsuits either.

Sources:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/1997/05/28/opinion/the-limits-of-presidential-immunity.html

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/U.S+President
I haven't said criminal
Immunity nau!

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Strips Governors Of Power To Sack Local Government Officials by Blue3k(m): 12:35pm On Dec 10, 2016
tuniski:

I haven't said criminal
Immunity nau!

I answered question and gave links at end. First 3 sentances actually. I just mentioned criminal in passing.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Strips Governors Of Power To Sack Local Government Officials by PRYCE01(m): 1:18pm On Dec 10, 2016
modath:

This judgement just dey do me yori yori.. tongue

An applause & champagne swigging moments... very very brilliant decision... This is 50% of the battle , the remaining 50% is seperating states & lgs accounts.... By the time this is done, some governors will not only resign of their own volition, some whose main focus is purely "chop chop" will not even bother...

This will also strengthen LG administration in two ways, it will attract better than area warlords/local touts & best of all, LGs & councillors are in the same community.

Make we dey look the excuses for bad portions of inner roads /streets then....
Re: Supreme Court Strips Governors Of Power To Sack Local Government Officials by omowolewa: 1:21pm On Dec 10, 2016
nwaanambra1:

no! kudos to the government that is so determined to clean up the dirty system.

Kudos to PMB cool

Wetin you wan make I say now, 'Kudos to PMB'? Bobo, we need a good system in Nigeria, not a strong person.

Kudos to the PMB's Government, that settles it kwa.
Re: Supreme Court Strips Governors Of Power To Sack Local Government Officials by nawebco(m): 4:21pm On Dec 10, 2016
LG WEB CONCEPT is offering free hosting of websites for 1 year.

The site mat be new domain or to be transferred.This is to let you see our first class hosting facility and up-time of up to 99%.

The hosting site will only be accepted for free if it is transferred or hosted with us before the end of December 2016.

you have up to 500MB by 1GIG free to use. However, if we register the domain, you then have up to 2GIG by 10GIG free space.

For this free hosting details: call 08187256312 or mail to info@naija4web.com or visit our site http://naija4web.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=172 for more details
Re: Supreme Court Strips Governors Of Power To Sack Local Government Officials by DerideGull(m): 4:25pm On Dec 10, 2016
This is the first time I have ever read any judicious pronouncement from Nigerian courts that has any constitutional brief.
Re: Supreme Court Strips Governors Of Power To Sack Local Government Officials by Hakeem3(m): 6:23pm On Dec 10, 2016
doctokwus:
Has anyone noticed that since the start of the cleansing of the SC,judgements now emanating from it now looks like that done by men that are worthy of the apex court of any land.I expect more groundbreaking judgements as more cases are decided.Its no longer judgements of the highest bidder.

all THANKS to BUHARI's fight against corruption.. cool
Re: Supreme Court Strips Governors Of Power To Sack Local Government Officials by Princewell2012(m): 6:35pm On Dec 10, 2016
baybeeboi:
Nice one, i kept wondering how the Governors are vested with auch powers.

Imagine a situation where people cue to vote and elect a chairman only for a Governor to juat remove him from office, why vote then?

Good. It seems like the judiciary have began to take their positions ?
Re: Supreme Court Strips Governors Of Power To Sack Local Government Officials by ABJ4Real(m): 7:00pm On Dec 10, 2016
Ground breaking judgement capable of causing political upheaval. Late in coming, but better than never.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Strips Governors Of Power To Sack Local Government Officials by modath(f): 9:34pm On Dec 10, 2016
Blue3k:

I answered question and gave links at end. First 3 sentances actually. I just mentioned criminal in passing.

Thanks for the effort...I don't bother to respond because one response is most likely never enough, it somehow gradually dissolve into brain numbing back & forth..

tuniski:

I haven't said criminal
Immunity nau!

You didn't understand the context... so beta to waka pass than start unnecessary arguments that won't lead anywhere...
Re: Supreme Court Strips Governors Of Power To Sack Local Government Officials by emajoe: 9:38pm On Dec 10, 2016
franchizy:
Wike should quickly reinstate the LGA Chairmen he dissolved.

I know the matter is still in court and with this ruling i see the chairmen returning back to office.
Amaechi dissolved the previous one on the eve of his departure from office and quickly installed APC chairmen.
Gov. Wike had to go through the court and sack those APC. It is only those present that this info may favour.
Don't forget this has to be made/enacted as a LAW before it becomes an enforcement.
Ask your nearest LAWYER to PUT IT more TO YOU.
Re: Supreme Court Strips Governors Of Power To Sack Local Government Officials by emajoe: 9:41pm On Dec 10, 2016
franchizy:
Wike should quickly reinstate the LGA Chairmen he dissolved.

I know the matter is still in court and with this ruling i see the chairmen returning back to office.
Amaechi dissolved the previous one on the eve of his departure from office and quickly installed APC chairmen.
Gov. Wike had to go through the court and sack those APC. It is only those present that this info may favour.
Don't forget this has to be made/enacted as a LAW before it becomes an enforcement.
Ask your nearest LAWYER to PUT IT more TO YOU.
Re: Supreme Court Strips Governors Of Power To Sack Local Government Officials by Chikpat(m): 9:45pm On Dec 10, 2016
Good! The thing with Buhari's govt z dat we hear everythng ; gud and bad. This z gud, commendable. True Nigerians will luv this. Its part of d Local Government Autonomy and Liberation struggles. This z a victory for d LG if u see what am seeing
Re: Supreme Court Strips Governors Of Power To Sack Local Government Officials by Blue3k(m): 11:12pm On Dec 10, 2016
modath:

Thanks for the effort...I don't bother to respond because one response is most likely never enough, it somehow gradually dissolve into brain numbing back & forth..

Lol you're right. I sometimes wonder if post are actually read.
Re: Supreme Court Strips Governors Of Power To Sack Local Government Officials by Cromagnon: 12:13am On Dec 11, 2016
ourema:
So long as LG and States have a joint financial account the one plays the piper will dictate its tune.
The National Assembly should as a matter of national important to first of all repeal the law joining LG Account with states. Without this being done LGA will always be under the mercy of the various states governors
now lg chairmen can fight for the. Allocation without fear of sack. It's small small, we're getting there
Re: Supreme Court Strips Governors Of Power To Sack Local Government Officials by Cromagnon: 12:19am On Dec 11, 2016
modath:

The military wrote the 1999 constitution, most of them had plans of exchanging khaki for agbada, that's why we have idiotic things like "immunity clause"!! Oloshi dem.
Abeg talk anoda tin. All constitution has immunity. Patapata charge him to court after 8 years if you truly mean it
Re: Supreme Court Strips Governors Of Power To Sack Local Government Officials by ourema(f): 7:35am On Dec 11, 2016
Cromagnon:
now lg chairmen can fight for the. Allocation without fear of sack. It's small small, we're getting there
We pray for it

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other / Okada Ban: Lagos Stakeholders Settle For Overall Enforcement In All LGAs / Wike, Udom, Makinde Voted 2021 Governors Of The Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.