Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,824 members, 7,810,167 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:22 PM

Mom Snaps Photo Of Baby Eating Sand, 8 Years Later, His Fame Saves Dad! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Mom Snaps Photo Of Baby Eating Sand, 8 Years Later, His Fame Saves Dad! (4199 Views)

Young Girl Beats Dad In Kolo Challenge, Saves More Notes Than Him / Lawyer Who Was Abandoned By His Father At 5 Reveals What Happened 20 Years Later / 6-Month Premature Vs 4-Years Later: Lady Shares Photos Of Her Son (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mom Snaps Photo Of Baby Eating Sand, 8 Years Later, His Fame Saves Dad! by Iyomomoreloaded: 4:15pm On Dec 10, 2016
In the past couple of decades, the internet has grown and changed in so many surprising ways. For example, take memes, which are viral images with (usually funny) words.
A successful meme might get shared a million times across Facebook and Twitter. But one of the most famous memes of them all is called “Success Kid.” It features a little boy at the beach making a fist and pulling a determined face. The image is still posted constantly on the web.
If you spend much time on the internet, you probably recognize the “Success Kid” meme.
If you’re not that familiar, a meme is defined by Merriam-Webster as “an amusing or interesting picture, video, etc., that is spread widely through the internet.”
(And in case you’re wondering, it’s pronounced "meem"wink
The meme features a little tyke in a green and white shirt making a defiant fist with a look of determination on his face.
Something about this photo tickles people so much that they regularly share it, often adapted to tell the story of their success.
But the simple photo of little boy was never expected to take off into the viral stratosphere — it was just something his mom shared on Facebook.
After the Griner family went on a trip to the beach back in 2007, mom Laney caught then-11-month-old Sam trying to eat a fistful of sand. She snapped a picture of the hilarious moment and put it up for friends and family to see.
The meme took off, but people forgot all about the family originally behind the photo. That was fine with the Griners.
That changed in 2015, when Justin Griner, Sam’s dad, learned that he needed a kidney transplant.
The family knew that the surgery would be incredibly costly and thought that maybe Sam’s now-infamous face might bring some much-needed help.
Justin Griner got sick from an inherited disease back in 2006 and suffered from total kidney failure in 2009.
When his kidneys failed, he went on dialysis, a mechanical process that replaces kidney function for the body.
However, the dialysis wasn’t a long-term solution for the young dad, and in 2015, at age 39, he learned that he would need a brand-new kidney.
Sam stepped up to the plate, and the family leveraged his internet fame into a wildly successful GoFundMe.
Thousands of folks online had drawn amusement, happiness, and confidence from little Sam’s determined face.
That meme, small as it seems, became internet shorthand for the feeling of being very satisfied with an unexpected achievement.
And, as we all know, the internet can be a powerful force for good when it sets its mind to it.
The Griners built their GoFundMe page, hoping for $75,000 to help fund Justin’s treatment, and that, just maybe, a kind stranger might even be a donor match.
People delivered, and then some — the Griners ended up raising $100,000 in days.
Justin Griner was able to get his kidney surgery in August of 2015, and the whole family is doing better than ever.
As for Sam, he’s glad he had such a unique opportunity to raise money for his dad, but he’s not looking for any more viral fame.
He hopes that Success Kid will be his only meme, and currently wants to grow up to be an artist.

Source: Littlethings.com

6 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Mom Snaps Photo Of Baby Eating Sand, 8 Years Later, His Fame Saves Dad! by HQuadreal: 4:18pm On Dec 10, 2016
hmm hmm clear throat.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mom Snaps Photo Of Baby Eating Sand, 8 Years Later, His Fame Saves Dad! by Nobody: 4:23pm On Dec 10, 2016
Wow amazing

God is great

1 Like

Re: Mom Snaps Photo Of Baby Eating Sand, 8 Years Later, His Fame Saves Dad! by Chikelue2000(m): 4:26pm On Dec 10, 2016
Lala oya come snap me as I de play with sand

5 Likes

Re: Mom Snaps Photo Of Baby Eating Sand, 8 Years Later, His Fame Saves Dad! by HQuadreal: 4:50pm On Dec 10, 2016
HQuadreal:
hmm hmm clear throat.
Nice 1.
Re: Mom Snaps Photo Of Baby Eating Sand, 8 Years Later, His Fame Saves Dad! by espn(m): 5:09pm On Dec 10, 2016
Nice1..if na nude pics u fit do..e fit give u fame 1 day..na 1 just steal em oga money..now she don dey famous..
Re: Mom Snaps Photo Of Baby Eating Sand, 8 Years Later, His Fame Saves Dad! by Nobody: 8:13pm On Dec 10, 2016
Chikelue2000:
Lala oya come snap me as I de play with sand

snake instead
Re: Mom Snaps Photo Of Baby Eating Sand, 8 Years Later, His Fame Saves Dad! by austine4real(m): 10:10pm On Dec 10, 2016
wow

amazing
Re: Mom Snaps Photo Of Baby Eating Sand, 8 Years Later, His Fame Saves Dad! by Ishilove: 5:57am On Dec 11, 2016
This is so lovely...
Re: Mom Snaps Photo Of Baby Eating Sand, 8 Years Later, His Fame Saves Dad! by corisande: 10:33am On Dec 11, 2016
Awwww. This is so nice. I'm happy he was able to save his dad smiley

1 Like

Re: Mom Snaps Photo Of Baby Eating Sand, 8 Years Later, His Fame Saves Dad! by Nobody: 6:51pm On Dec 11, 2016
KillerPriest:

You are supremely delusional, woman. A cursory glance at NL's archives would prove it is you, and not I, who is the inveterate cyber-stalker.

You started the hate campaign against me for no reason; an hate campaign I suspect you were filliped into embarking upon after you allowed your mind to be the playing ground of a posse of hateful and envious kidults who have refused to grow up.

You made a false accusation on my thread about Bibliophilia, hoping to derail the thread and discredit the minutes I spent in dreaming up the article. As God would have it, your plan boomeranged and not only were you disgraced on the thread, people also beheld the true nature of your entrails, that it is one ridden with bile, bitterness, and jealousy. Even dare2differ/daretodiffer confirmed that your buttocks shifts uncomfortably on the chair when you meet someone better than you. Same thing you tried to do on Mizmycoli's thread about dusting powder before Coldfeet knocked some sense into you. Why are you always envious of those better than you?

You have quoted/mentioned me more times than I have you on this forum; and you are also fond of making indirect snide remarks at me, either in form of words or memes – all to which I wisely played possum after negotiating that you are but an angry little woman.

All evidence points to you as the cyber-stalker, not me.

You only mistook my quietude for weakness, not knowing I give as much thought to your posts as I do to washing the dishes. It is you, Ishioma, who needs to tread carefully and mind the company you keep.

And do away with the JAMB punchline, will you? —it's old, cliché, and frankly, no one believes it. Is that the best you can conjure from the dim recesses of your mind? tongue I'm sure a greater proportion of NL's population would agree my posts give off the scent of a man better educated than you are. Judging from your [recent] posts, you don't appear to be keen in thought.

Goodbye, Ishioma. I'd rather be caught dead wearing a lingerie and red stilettos than quibbling with some faceless, spiteful, slightly unhinged woman this fine Sunday afternoon. Shalom.
Jesu Christ!

5 Likes

Re: Mom Snaps Photo Of Baby Eating Sand, 8 Years Later, His Fame Saves Dad! by Nobody: 6:58pm On Dec 11, 2016
Good one. I really had a good laugh when I beheld this meme in one of seun's post like that on one particular sunday, where he was demonstrably illustrating how a man climbs a palm tree and plucks the palm fruits. Chai.
Re: Mom Snaps Photo Of Baby Eating Sand, 8 Years Later, His Fame Saves Dad! by Ishilove: 6:59pm On Dec 11, 2016
JoeBlocks:
Aha! Look here You ignormous you have failed jamb more times than I can count.

Simpleton, look before you leap, I ain't bloodycrook, for if I was he, I'd have told you you're nothing more than used toilet paper stained with sh1t.

So look here small boy, the next time you mention the moniker 1832 and its affiliate, I'll unleash Satan's legion of demons on your demented poverty beaten abused ego that is thin as a tooth pick.

Now, shoo away like the well used sanitary pad that you are.

You under-fed ignoramous.
This is cold...

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mom Snaps Photo Of Baby Eating Sand, 8 Years Later, His Fame Saves Dad! by Nobody: 7:01pm On Dec 11, 2016
Just when I thought sunday would be boring. Please you guys should fight on. I'm really enjoying the show.

*adjusts properly on seat*

1 Like

Re: Mom Snaps Photo Of Baby Eating Sand, 8 Years Later, His Fame Saves Dad! by Nobody: 7:24pm On Dec 11, 2016
so this is the boy in that meme?

I smile every time I see the meme, it's so cute.

happy his dad is now better.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"My Husband's House" / ............ / My Mother Cursed Me.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.