Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,304 members, 7,815,549 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:22 PM

What To Do With Your Overripe Plantain - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What To Do With Your Overripe Plantain (61258 Views)

Don't Ever Trash Your Overripe Bananas! / Fried Plantain (Dodo) Or PuffPuff? (Photo) / Recipe: How To Prepare Plantain Fufu In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What To Do With Your Overripe Plantain by Tedassie(m): 6:26pm On Dec 10, 2016
Yes, yes, yes we all have that time when we mistakenly keep the plantain for too long till it becomes really soft and black. Throwing it away seems like an awful waste but not to worry because you could always prepare an African delicacy with it. You can make Plantain Moi Moi.

Before you scrunch up your face, hear me out. It might sound weird but it tastes amazing. What you need to prepare this dish (depending on how many you are cooking for) includes:
[b]Two pieces of unripe plantain
100 grams of plantain flour
Pepper to taste
Salt to taste
2 cubes of seasoning
1 onion
Some crayfish
2 cooking spoons of palm oil
A pinch of ground ginger for flavour
Cool water
Uma leaves (the traditional wide leaves used for Moi Moi which give it a nice flavor) or small bowls
The steps for preparation are:
1. Cut your onions and pepper, likewise the washed plantain.
2. If you are going for the leaves ensure that you wash it thoroughly before using
3. Mix the plantain flour in a bowl with just enough water to make it a bit thick
4. Blend the overripe plantain with the pepper, onion, and plantain flour batter, adding just enough water to grind the mixture
5. Pour the mixture into a bowl and add your seasoning, ginger salt and palm oil
6. Put a small quantity of water on the fire to boil. Ideally, you should place a steamer in it but if you don’t have that, you can use the cover of a smaller pot as the base.
7. Using a ladle, pour some into the leaves or bowl and wrap carefully
8. Place the wraps on top of the base
9. Leave for about 30 minutes and add water if necessary
10. Let it cool then serve with pap or custard.[/b]
This meal is healthy for all groups of people!

41 Likes 18 Shares

Re: What To Do With Your Overripe Plantain by Boy101(m): 6:53pm On Dec 10, 2016
Interesting!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What To Do With Your Overripe Plantain by lafean20(f): 8:09pm On Dec 10, 2016
U can do same with over ripe banana, it's a delicacy in my home town, but in ds case we use corn flour along with other ingredients of course...and it tastes amazing

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do With Your Overripe Plantain by Nobody: 10:38am On Dec 11, 2016
grin grin grin grin

Oyelem Oooo!!!

E don don!!!

1 Like

Re: What To Do With Your Overripe Plantain by Fairgodwin(m): 10:38am On Dec 11, 2016
Okay
Re: What To Do With Your Overripe Plantain by veekid(m): 10:38am On Dec 11, 2016
I don't have time for all these as a chief bachelor grin

3 Likes

Re: What To Do With Your Overripe Plantain by icedfire(m): 10:39am On Dec 11, 2016
Onunu!

6 Likes

Re: What To Do With Your Overripe Plantain by Nobody: 10:40am On Dec 11, 2016
hmmmm interesting
Re: What To Do With Your Overripe Plantain by Nobody: 10:40am On Dec 11, 2016
Error!

1 Like

Re: What To Do With Your Overripe Plantain by FYB(m): 10:40am On Dec 11, 2016
already working on it.......I was thinking of wot to do with mine this morning sef

5 Likes

Re: What To Do With Your Overripe Plantain by ayamAgenius: 10:41am On Dec 11, 2016
No image of finished product?

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do With Your Overripe Plantain by lacoach: 10:41am On Dec 11, 2016
No matter the recipe, I don't eat overripe plantain. It's either half ripe or unripe. I want to live long.

2 Likes

Re: What To Do With Your Overripe Plantain by Femich18(m): 10:41am On Dec 11, 2016
lafean20:
U can do same with over ripe banana, it's a delicacy in my home town, but in ds case we use corn flour along with other ingredients of course...and it tastes amazing
Nice one...
Re: What To Do With Your Overripe Plantain by Intrepid01(m): 10:42am On Dec 11, 2016
Chaii...I wish i could get a lady who would help me prepare this after service......chaii

1 Like

Re: What To Do With Your Overripe Plantain by dhardline(m): 10:42am On Dec 11, 2016
No picture of the strange moi moi? undecided

4 Likes

Re: What To Do With Your Overripe Plantain by fratermathy(m): 10:42am On Dec 11, 2016
Me nor fit chop that one sha. Lai Lai.

10 Likes

Re: What To Do With Your Overripe Plantain by passionate88: 10:42am On Dec 11, 2016
Why would a die hard plantain lover like me leave one to be over ripe?.

Dodo sure pass

15 Likes

Re: What To Do With Your Overripe Plantain by Tjohnnay: 10:42am On Dec 11, 2016
K
Re: What To Do With Your Overripe Plantain by Alusinejeuka(m): 10:43am On Dec 11, 2016
Ukpa-egede

2 Likes

Re: What To Do With Your Overripe Plantain by Wiseandtrue(f): 10:46am On Dec 11, 2016
OP where is the pishure of the final delicacy

10 Likes

Re: What To Do With Your Overripe Plantain by rawtouch: 10:46am On Dec 11, 2016
my aboki will not like this

1 Like

Re: What To Do With Your Overripe Plantain by freemanbubble: 10:48am On Dec 11, 2016
ok
Re: What To Do With Your Overripe Plantain by Tynasparks(f): 10:50am On Dec 11, 2016
Okay... But i prefer using my overripe plantains for plantain mosa or plantain pancake

2 Likes

Re: What To Do With Your Overripe Plantain by Nobody: 10:58am On Dec 11, 2016
Photocopy can never be like original. Throw your over ripe plantain to someone from Ikire and watch keenly as he turns it a unique delicacy called DODO-IKIRE

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What To Do With Your Overripe Plantain by Nobody: 11:00am On Dec 11, 2016
veekid:
I don't have time for all these as a chief bachelor grin
Go and Marry!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do With Your Overripe Plantain by Aminat508(f): 11:01am On Dec 11, 2016
Neyoor:
Photocopy can never be like original. Throw your over ripe plantain to someone from Ikire and watch keenly as he turns it a unique delicacy called DODO-IKIRE
ikire pikin grin

8 Likes

Re: What To Do With Your Overripe Plantain by andre377: 11:01am On Dec 11, 2016
its very sweet, when i was growing up in port Harcourt, one woman used to hawk it every morning, its called Epiti

2 Likes

Re: What To Do With Your Overripe Plantain by Nobody: 11:03am On Dec 11, 2016
Aminat508:
ikire pikin grin

Lol! Na so. Iwo na Osogbo pikin grin cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: What To Do With Your Overripe Plantain by Nobody: 11:12am On Dec 11, 2016
do this instead and u'll give thanks. this is plantain bread made with blended overripe plantains, flour, egg etc

9 Likes

Re: What To Do With Your Overripe Plantain by pamcode(m): 11:17am On Dec 11, 2016
Where is the pic of the finished food and besides your list of ingriedents says Unripe not over-ripe. Abi bobo yi fe scam wa ni.

7 Likes

Re: What To Do With Your Overripe Plantain by shumuel(m): 11:28am On Dec 11, 2016
Tedassie:
Yes, yes, yes we all have that time when we mistakenly keep the plantain for too long till it becomes really soft and black. Throwing it away seems like an awful waste but not to worry because you could always prepare an African delicacy with it. You can make Plantain Moi Moi.

Before you scrunch up your face, hear me out. It might sound weird but it tastes amazing. What you need to prepare this dish (depending on how many you are cooking for) includes:
[b]Two pieces of unripe plantain
100 grams of plantain flour
Pepper to taste
Salt to taste
2 cubes of seasoning
1 onion
Some crayfish
2 cooking spoons of palm oil
A pinch of ground ginger for flavour
Cool water
Uma leaves (the traditional wide leaves used for Moi Moi which give it a nice flavor) or small bowls
The steps for preparation are:
1. Cut your onions and pepper, likewise the washed plantain.
2. If you are going for the leaves ensure that you wash it thoroughly before using
3. Mix the plantain flour in a bowl with just enough water to make it a bit thick
4. Blend the overripe plantain with the pepper, onion, and plantain flour batter, adding just enough water to grind the mixture
5. Pour the mixture into a bowl and add your seasoning, ginger salt and palm oil
6. Put a small quantity of water on the fire to boil. Ideally, you should place a steamer in it but if you don’t have that, you can use the cover of a smaller pot as the base.
7. Using a ladle, pour some into the leaves or bowl and wrap carefully
8. Place the wraps on top of the base
9. Leave for about 30 minutes and add water if necessary
10. Let it cool then serve with pap or custard.[/b]
This meal is healthy for all groups of people!

Op, and you expect us to swallow this without any evidence, where is the picture of the finished product ?

You came here with just an idea, you couldn't even try it first before jumping to Nairaland to post.

Pictures or Ad....... You know the rest angry Rule No8 broken tongue

11 Likes

Re: What To Do With Your Overripe Plantain by queensnow: 11:29am On Dec 11, 2016
lafean20:
are u frm ekiti pupa..

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

When You Annoy Your Mum On Christmas Day / Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health / Iced Water Makes A Comeback As Price Of Sachet Water Skyrockets (pic, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.