Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,761 members, 7,809,928 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:22 PM

Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health (61346 Views)

Girl Eating Noodles From A Toilet Bowl (Photo) / I Bet You Won’t Eat Instant Noodles Again After Seeing This / NAFDAC Issues Alert On The Presence Of Contaminated Nestle Maggi Noodles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by Chumani(f): 8:51am On Nov 14, 2015
Instant “ramen” noodles are a massively popular
staple – especially in the collegiate population.
While genuine ramen noodles made from flour
and without additives are not cause for serious
concern, the cheap instant noodles are a total
additive-fest. People who live on campus and
find it hard to budget their money often end up
surviving on instant noodles several days a week.
In Asia, the popularity and convenience of
instant noodles is even bigger; it’s a quick,
cheap, and easy to way to ease your hunger –
but how do instant noodles affect your health?

#1 Instant Noodles Are Extremely High In
Sodium
Instant noodles are extremely high in sodium –
one packet containing 1875mg – more than the
entire RDA of 1500mg. Sodium is one of the
leading causes of both hypertension (high blood
pressure) and kidney dysfunction. How? Sodium
causes a build-up of fluid in the body, raising
blood pressure which destroys the delicate
vessels that supply the kidneys with blood. This
is the reason why people with kidney problems
are strongly advised to avoid preserved food
items and too much salt in their diet.

#2 Instant Noodles Are Loaded With MSG
MSG is a specific kind of sodium found in most
preserved food items like instant noodles and
canned food. MSG intake has been linked to an
increased risk for cancer and hypersensitivity
reactions like migraines, flushing, and chest pain.
While the FDA has officially labeled MSG as
generally safe, it remains a highly controversial
ingredient. Because of these reports of hypersensitivity and a potential risk for cancer,
they require all food items to list MSG as an
ingredient if it was used in any way to make the
product.

#3 Preservatives Affect Nutrition Absorption In
The Body because instant noodles have extremely high levels of preservatives, they can also affect the
way our bodies absorb nutrients. The stomach
and intestines are where nutrition absorption
takes place and are home to good bacteria that
aids in digestion. Preservatives harm these good
bacteria, lowering their numbers (and increasing
the number of bad bacteria!) and affecting our
bodies’ ability to absorb nutrients from food.
This can cause problems like nutrient deficiency
and long-term absorption problems.

#4 Instant Noodles Contain Antifreeze
Yes, they really do. While instant noodles have
your typical preservatives like MSG, they also
have lesser known ingredients that will have you
raising your eyebrow. Propylene glycol – a
colorless liquid – is a popular antifreeze because
of its ability to absorb water. It also happens to
be used to preserve the texture of instant
noodles as well, prolonging their shelf life. A
2004 study also linked propylene glycol in take
with an increased risk for liver cancer.

#5 Instant Noodles Have Been Linked With
Plasticizer Contamination
Plasticizers are additives that increase the flexibility of non-food items. However, back in 2011 and 2012, Chinese instant noodles (including certain brains that are exported to th US) were found to be contaminated with toxic levels of plasticizers. When this substance is ingested, it damages the digestive tract and
increases a person’s risk for gastrointestinal and
hepatic cancer.

#6 Instant Noodles Often Contain A Cocktail Of
Unhealthy Ingredients.
Instant noodles and their packet sauces
commonly contain canola oil, corn syrup and
Tertiary Butylhydroquinone (TBHQ) – a highly
controversial preservative that is also added to
perfumes, lacquers, and biodiesel!

www.herbs-info.com/blog/why-instant-noodles-may-be-destroying-your-health/

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by Sabadon(m): 9:00am On Nov 14, 2015
Added info....for those who will want to ask MSG is monosodium glutamate dat gives spices a meaty taste like ajinomoto

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by Sabadon(m): 9:00am On Nov 14, 2015
Added info....for those who will want to ask MSG is monosodium glutamate dat gives spices a meaty taste like ajinomoto.....op nice write up

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by Slickest(m): 9:04am On Nov 14, 2015
Nawa oo..chop this cancer, chop dat diabetes, stay hungry u die...either way we still gon die!!!

375 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by victor2fresh(m): 9:04am On Nov 14, 2015
Spaghetti follow?

3 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by spinoff: 9:12am On Nov 14, 2015
Just when large progress seem made on the Malthusian problem, it begins to be like some whack-a-mole dilemma? Surely there's no denying the progress over the last two centuries. Only some refining will be needed.

3 Likes

Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by Nobody: 9:35am On Nov 14, 2015
Sabadon:
Added info....for those who will want to ask MSG is monosodium glutamate dat gives spices a meaty taste like ajinomoto

monosodium glutamate is the active ingredient in all seasoning cubes and powders. its not only white maggi (about 98% pure MSG) that contains it, every other favour or taste improving substance has it.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by Elposeidon(m): 9:38am On Nov 14, 2015
I personally don't like eating dis....

Team Amala!!!

#Elposeidon

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by Chumani(f): 10:07am On Nov 14, 2015
Elposeidon:
I personally don't like eating dis....

Team Amala!!!

#Elposeidon
yes ooo Amala all d way with gbegiri and ewedu

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by Elposeidon(m): 11:10am On Nov 14, 2015
Chumani:

yes ooo
Amala all d way with gbegiri and ewedu
. Na dat ewedu do am pass o....

6 Likes

Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by Nobody: 11:15am On Nov 14, 2015
Elposeidon:
. Na dat ewedu do am pass o....

lol! @chumani wetin dey make the ewedu and gbegiri sweet when you chop am na msg aka monosodium glutamate aka white maggi. you still dey chop the poison so tongue

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by Elposeidon(m): 1:21pm On Nov 14, 2015
coollabman:

lol! @chumani wetin dey make the ewedu and gbegiri sweet when you chop am na msg aka monosodium glutamate aka white maggi. you still dey chop the poison so tongue
. Forget oooo... U don chop ewedu without maggi b4??..
Ewedu na sweet tin naturally....

#Elposeidon

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by Nobody: 1:35pm On Nov 14, 2015
Elposeidon:

#Elposeidon

lol!

2 Likes

Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by harjayi(m): 3:18pm On Nov 14, 2015
Elposeidon:

#Elposeidon

Lol u are pakoristic in nature

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by harjayi(m): 3:21pm On Nov 14, 2015
Wetin we go dey eat

1 Like

Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by Chumani(f): 4:04pm On Nov 14, 2015
coollabman:

Abeg make u try eat ewedu added with plenty iru u go forget say MSG dey exist

6 Likes

Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by Chumani(f): 4:07pm On Nov 14, 2015
harjayi:
Wetin we go dey eat

na wetin u dey eat b4 noodles come?

lol @Elposeidon
na hin sure pass

1 Like

Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by Elposeidon(m): 4:54pm On Nov 14, 2015
harjayi:

Lol u are pakoristic in nature
. Yes na.... Proudly!!!!!

#Elposeidon

1 Like

Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by Elposeidon(m): 4:58pm On Nov 14, 2015
Chumani:

na wetin u dey eat b4 noodles come?

lol @Elposeidon
na hin sure pass
. Dis guys no even know wetin sweet tin be... Add iru to confam ewedu and u go dae dance like say no tomorrow

#Elposeidon

2 Likes

Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by damton(m): 12:19pm On Nov 15, 2015
SO MAKE WE NO CHOP NOODLES AGAIN.

CHAI WHICH FOOD WE GO CON PREPARE WITH JUST 100NAIRA SHARPERLY

7 Likes

Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by ednut1(m): 12:20pm On Nov 15, 2015
I don tire for all this health paroles abeg.man must die of something. Once saw a quote in punch newspaper like 10 years ago. 'They say red meat is bad but I have never seen a sick lion' grin

41 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by boman2014: 12:20pm On Nov 15, 2015
hmmmm
Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by Nobody: 12:20pm On Nov 15, 2015
wetin concern me, all this things no dey kill African man

6 Likes

Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by ERONX(m): 12:20pm On Nov 15, 2015
Mtcheeew Story For the Babalawo #TEAMNOODLES Anytime anyday

5 Likes

Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by HighIQ(m): 12:20pm On Nov 15, 2015
immediately I saw this topic I felt a strong urge to eat indomie. let me go and buy it make I chop am hot. I can't resist the urge. Its been long I ate it though.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by bigv(m): 12:21pm On Nov 15, 2015
Boom shasha wink

4 Likes

Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by looseweight: 12:21pm On Nov 15, 2015
Lazy women will never agree with you. Starting from our universities across the nation, both female and male students believed indomie is the fastest and best food to eat.

These students will graduate, marry and feed their kids this same useless entity.

The most embarrsing one was when I read in this forum about people trying to loose weight, you will hear something like ''breakfast=indomine + egg and lots of water".... I will just laugh it off and pity them.

Take or leave it, comsption of indomie is bad and hazardous to health. Thank you.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by damola1: 12:22pm On Nov 15, 2015
Stick with purely organic foods.
Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by lmm4real: 12:22pm On Nov 15, 2015
Make I forward this message to my babe, undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by damola1: 12:22pm On Nov 15, 2015
Stick with organic foods.
Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by Nobody: 12:22pm On Nov 15, 2015
sad
Re: Why Instant Noodles May Be Destroying Your Health by Pavore9: 12:22pm On Nov 15, 2015
Hmm...though l don't eat it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Iced Water Makes A Comeback As Price Of Sachet Water Skyrockets (pic, Video) / The Snake My Fish Net Caught / See The Croaker Fish I Got For ₦‎1,800 And How I Prepared It. Yum!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.