Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,131 members, 7,818,393 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:17 PM

10 Myths About Introverts. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 10 Myths About Introverts. (3631 Views)

Beautiful Memes About Introverts / Extreme Introverts, How Did You Meet Your Spouse? / Things Introverts Have Done To Avoid People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts. by Nobody: 9:10pm On Dec 11, 2016
MsLady39:

Believe it or not, I love to surf the internet and I just happened to type in something about Nigeria and "Nairaland" came up. I love doing research on the net. I just pretty much have to control myself...cause I can get carried away. Anyhow, I saw it was a forum where people could talk. I liked the fact that it is based in Nigeria...which I've become more interested in lately. I'm not on any other social network than this one. This may be shameful, but I don't know that much about Nigeria other than what my dad has told me. I can't speak Igbo so I love to see when folks are clearly typing in foreign words! Never been to Nigeria...the whole family was gonna come in 1996 for summer vacation, but my uncle told my dad it wasn't safe to come cause a coup was occurring. Was trying to come 1 summer ago with my brother, but my dad is concerned about our safety and has said to wait a little bit. Must follow my dad's orders!!
As I've gotten older, I've come to find out that there's a little more to life than America..

Me and the internet are inseparable. Don't know what I'd have done without it. Lol. You are not alone. I deactivated my facebook account some weeks back. And I'm plain left with Nairaland.

First of all, it is a good thing that you have not forgotten about your "home" despite having spent the core of your life abroad, and you are still keen on knowing your roots.
Most people are easily swept off by western life and influence and don't seem to care about their homeland anymore, which is really sad.

I believe your passion would speed your aim to achieve that goal.

Your dad was right, life should come first before anything else.

There are full-blooded Igbo folks and Nigerians from other tribes in this site as well. If you pay careful attention, you would be amazed by the little things you can learn about your culture, which is a part of every responsible individual. The Nigerian culture is very rich - the food, dressing, language, religion e.t.c. It would be an all new experience to you. But the fun supercedes all...

My African identity is something I'd never trade for anything.
Love Africa.
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts. by Nobody: 9:17pm On Dec 11, 2016
LaClicKLaBenDin:

Well, that's sad because there's no easy way to being a successful blogger than putting in effort and applying it rightly too.
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts. by Nobody: 9:24pm On Dec 11, 2016
NinjaX:

First of all, it is a good thing that you have not forgotten about your "home" despite having spent the core of your life abroad, and you are still keen on knowing your roots. Most people are easily swept off by western life and influence and don't seem to care about their homeland anymore, which is really sad.

I believe your passion would speed your aim to achieve that goal.

Your dad was right, life should come first before anything.

There are full-blooded Igbo folks and Nigerians from other tribes in this site as well. If you pay careful attention, you would be amazed by the little things you can learn about your culture, which is a part of every responsible individual. The Nigerian culture is very rich - the food, dressing, language, religion e.t.c. It would be an all new experience to you. But the fun supercedes all...

My African identity is something I'd never trade for anything.

I don't know any other foreign blacks that have so much pride as the Africans and black Islanders. Both are some proud people. My dad is for sure. I'm putting out a lot of my business...but although he's been in the U.S. for a very, very long time and still he's not gotten his citizenship! He says he is an Igbo man! I have to respect that decision.
He at least has tons (and I mean tons of Nigerian movies & music) to help him when he gets home-sick. My mother used to cook two dishes...African stew & Fufu (with Egusi soup). I used to love both of them. I don't eat meat anymore..so not liking those anymore.
I find the Nigerian women to be some of the most beautiful & beautifully dressed women in the world! I love hearing my dad speak Igbo on the phone with friends and family. My dad is Christian..which I am also.
So I do know a little...but that's why I'm here. To learn more...
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts. by Nobody: 10:15pm On Dec 11, 2016
MsLady39:

I don't know any other foreign blacks that have so much pride as the Africans and black Islanders. Both are some proud people. My dad is for sure. I'm putting out a lot of my business...but although he's been in the U.S. for a very, very long time and still he's not gotten his citizenship! He says he is an Igbo man! I have to respect that decision.
He at least has tons (and I mean tons of Nigerian movies & music) to help him when he gets home-sick.

I think that undying pride is what sets us apart from other nations. Nigerian men are usually characterised by that high judgement of themselves which they hold in esteem.
Lol@ I'm an Igbo Man.
The saying "East or west, home is still the best" can't be more true.

My mother used to cook two dishes...African stew & Fufu (with Egusi soup). I used to love both of them. I don't eat meat anymore..so not liking those anymore.

I guess your dad tutored her on how to prepare those meals.
I love Egusi soup but only when it goes with Eba. Don't like Fufu. The smell puts me off.
I dislike meat too. For about 10 years still counting, I haven't had that stuff. I feel like throwing up anytime I try to force myself to take it. Nigeria well has various dishes that will wow you when handled by an expert chef. Each tribe has its own peculiar dish just as it differs in language and dressing.

I find the Nigerian women to be some of the most beautiful & beautifully dressed women in the world!

God was certainly on one of his best days when he sculpted these wonderful creatures. Not only are they beautiful, but equally well manered. To think I ignorantly told my dad I wanted to be a monk (catholic father) when I grow up because I admired the way they carried themselves. Mum shut me up almost immediately. That would have been a big mistake I'd live to regret. Lol

I love hearing my dad speak Igbo on the phone with friends and family.

Can you speak Igbo? Or you can only understand it when it's spoken?

My dad is Christian..which I am also.
So I do know a little...but that's why I'm here. To learn more...

Christianity, and religion as a whole in Nigeria is different in perspective from that in all other places.
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts. by piousMind(m): 10:42pm On Dec 11, 2016
#2 nailed it
on the flip side...Shyness is the other end of PRIDE, not just only being Arrogant or full of oneself.

thumbs Up Op...insightful thread.
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts. by Nobody: 11:19pm On Dec 11, 2016
NinjaX,
Yes, my dad taught my mom & he said she made it as good as in Nigeria! We've worn some of the lovely dresses as well...the fabric is gorgeous!
Unfortunately, I can't understand one word of Igbo...I asked my dad why hadn't he taught us when we were little. He said he was busy working all day..which was true. He's a workaholic! But he said I could learn now!! I know I sound like a kid...but I'm "mature" & wonder hoe easy it would be to learn now?
I have sat and identified & pronounce all the Igbo names on the ending credits of the
movies!!! My dad says I do a great job! It's. a start..right??!!
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts. by Nobody: 12:15am On Dec 12, 2016
MsLady39:
.NinjaX,
Yes, my dad taught my mom & he said she made it as good as in Nigeria!

That's adorable. He must be really proud of her for being a good student in his cooking school.

We've worn some of the lovely dresses as well...the fabric is gorgeous!
Unfortunately, I can't understand one word of Igbo...I asked my dad why hadn't he taught us when we were little. He said he was busy working all day..which was true. He's a workaholic! But he said I could learn now!! I know I sound like a kid...but I'm "mature" & wonder hoe easy it would be to learn now?
I have sat and identified & pronounce all the Igbo names on the ending credits of the
movies!!! My dad says I do a great job! It's. a start..right??!!
You sound so excited.

The Journey of a thousand mile begins with a step, so yes you are on the right path. You took a decision to go after a goal, that is rare. An undecided mind would always remain stagnant and purposeless.

I'm not igbo by tribe so I don't really know much about the Igbo language. It would have been more easiler to learn when you were still a kid so that it grows with you as you age. Which is why it's advisable to teach our relatives our language at the infant stage so as to curb future complications, but hey, don't give up faith, you can still learn from seasoned speakers and even the internet. But it would be best you get the package from a native speaker because they provide its purest form, which you can't get elsewhere.

These are the only words I know of in the Igbo Language:

- Imela - Thank You

- Chukwu - God

Hahaha.

You can navigate your way to the "Culture Section" for a start. I think there are threads dealing on this and there are also fellow igbo folks yonder, who are willing to be of assistance.
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts. by Nobody: 12:33am On Dec 12, 2016
Myth #3 : Introverts are rude.
Introverts often don’t see a reason for beating around the bush with social pleasantries. They want everyone to just be real and honest. Unfortunately, this is not acceptable in most settings, so Introverts can feel a lot of pressure to fit in, which they find exhausting.

This is the exact area where my boss wanted me to work on.

During the last performance review, I got a superb performance appraisal. However, there was a "BUT" - which was that I do not interact with colleagues. He advised that I increased my social interaction with colleagues and all.

I do not believe that I don't interact. I knew exactly what he meant which is what Myth#3 speaks to - "beating around the bush with social pleasantries." I have tried to do countless number of times but I just can't. It's exhausting and I often feel that that's not the real me but only trying to fit in. I interact well only if it's necessary but he wanted me to just go to another person's desk, talk, chit-chat et Al.. Damn... that ain't my forte. Surviving in the extrovert world ain't easy.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Myths About Introverts. by Nobody: 12:51am On Dec 12, 2016
NinjaX,
Yeah...I'm excited. I'm like an adopted child who's had a blessed upbringing, but still desires to know his/her blood relatives.
I have had that desire to know my other jalf for awhile now. And I will one day.
I've browsed the "Culture" section a number of times. I'll ask a question in the near future. There are "0" Igbos where I live so it's kind of difficult to just be around them to hear thr language...but I'm determined. I know the meaning of those 3 words also..interesting.
My dad was very proud of my mother's mastery of those dishes.
But I forgot to tell you that what you said about the smell was hilarious ! I didn't want to go there...however you did! Hilarious!
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts. by dulaman: 3:11pm On Dec 12, 2016
That number 5. Na me
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts. by vivaciousvivi(f): 10:24pm On Dec 12, 2016
Nice one Op. Most points describe me to the T.
#TeamIntroverts baby cheesy
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts. by Melsan: 10:29pm On Dec 12, 2016
DonOms smiley
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts. by Tyviv(f): 12:35am On Dec 14, 2016
Very true Op smiley
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts. by LaClicKLaBenDin(m): 5:53am On Dec 14, 2016
Cc: Royalroy
This thread is worthy of front page, it's informative.
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts. by Nobody: 11:17am On Dec 14, 2016
people think cos we dont talk much or lyk 2 mingle dat we are snobs, especially family members i dont even like going 2 family parties, only my dad understands.
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts. by chimdi101: 1:32pm On Dec 14, 2016
Preetiex:
people think cos we dont talk much or lyk 2 mingle dat we are snobs, especially family members i dont even like going 2 family parties, only my dad understands.
undecided True
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts. by stsinner: 4:34pm On Dec 15, 2016
vivaciousvivi:
Nice one Op. Most points describe me to the T.
#TeamIntroverts baby cheesy
u? An introvert? & My lawd wept
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts. by vivaciousvivi(f): 5:27pm On Dec 15, 2016
stsinner:

u? An introvert? & My lawd wept
Thank goodness it's your "lawd" who did and Jesus remains happily passive. Mumu!
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts. by stsinner: 6:16pm On Dec 15, 2016
vivaciousvivi:

Thank goodness it's your "lawd" who did and Jesus remains happily passive. Mumu!
lovely name,right?
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts. by vivaciousvivi(f): 7:06pm On Dec 15, 2016
stsinner:

lovely name,right?
Yup, describes you explicitly
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts. by stsinner: 7:10pm On Dec 15, 2016
vivaciousvivi:

Yup, describes you explicitly
wow! Thanks...maybe i should add it to my monicker. Do u have any objection, miss introvert?
Re: 10 Myths About Introverts. by Fisiryorh(m): 6:58pm On Jan 11, 2020
sorry for buzzing in late.....
Hello introverted familiars.....

(1) (2) (Reply)

What I Witnessed At The Hospital That Made Me Shed Tears. / Ex GF Had Her Intro Last Weekend, But We Still Were Intimate Thrice Last Week / What Does It Mean To Love Your Husband?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.