Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,079 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:14 AM

Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! (4079 Views)

[VIDEO] A Nigerian Doctor Based In New York Has Tested Positive For Coronavirus / Transformation Photos Of A Female Nigerian Doctor Based In The US / A Nigerian Family Of Doctors Based In The US (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by ChelseaDr(m): 7:46am On Jan 10, 2017
Yesitsme:
Dr, am 28weeks pregnant and has B- blood group, its my second actually. I took Rhogam after delivery and now my gynae says I have to take it at 30wks and after delivery. Is that necessary? why not after delivery? cos the injection is very expensive here and we can't really afford it twice. The gynea said research reveals that sometimes the first dose isn't usually effective. But o know of people who took it only after delivery.

It is necessary but not mandatory including the one taken after delivery. This is because if after birth and your baby's blood group is also type Negative, then you don't need rhogam.

Some people like giving the injection at 28-30 weeks and after delivery others just give at delivery while another set of people will insist on knowing the baby's blood group before giving. Infact because of the cost many prefer the last two options.

However, if you experience bleeding or fall while pregnant doctors will advise you get the injection unless you have determined that the baby you are carrying in your womb also has a negative blood type.

For more information on this see my earlier article on this, below.

https://www.nairaland.com/2429829/rhesus-negative-blood-group-pregnancy
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by teamchocolate: 7:17am On Jan 12, 2017
Hi thank you for this thread.. i am a doctor in nigeria with a masters in public health and a fellowship in public health in view.. i am interested in the position of research assistant in any university in the US of course in somewhere related to public health.. because to be quite frank i am just really tired of clinical medicine and i also want international exposure by virtue of training in public health abroad cuz sorry to say our own universities are not the best and sadly i wont be able to afford a masters on my own hence the idea of being a research assistant.... pls how do you suggest I go about this.. thanks in anticipation of your response
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by dyydxx: 6:59pm On Jan 12, 2017
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by naijadoc2b: 4:27am On Jan 13, 2017
adex1300:
help doctor can u please explain further the meaning of this ECG interpretation.
LVH t abnormality in high lateral leads

These findings require a bit of context. Why was this EKG obtained? where you having symptoms such as chest pain with activity or shortness of breath with activity? heart palpitations? the answer to these questions are more relevant to the "t wave abnormality in high lateral leads" that were reported. If this is happening in the setting of active chest pain then it is concerning. If not then its probably due to the associated LVH that I will describe below.

LVH is an abbreviation for Left Ventricular Hypertrophy. This essentially means the heart muscle is getting larger due to elevated systemic pressures (Hypertension) or less often an issue with a heart valve causing increased pressure in this chamber. This finding is common in people with long standing hypertension and certainly puts you at risk for heart disease due to increased demand by the heart. The heart just like any other muscle in the body gets bigger when it is faced with increased work. This is essentially the premise behind weight lifting and various other forms of resistance exercise. However, the heart is the one organ that you don't want to get bigger as this compromises its normal function.

I am guessing you are probably a bit older and had hypertension for a while. It is important that you make the necessary lifestyle changes which includes maintaining a healthy diet rich in fruits and vegetables and low in salts and fat. As well as exercising 4-5 times weekly for ~45 mins. (higher frequency is better than 1-2 very long work out sessions). You should also follow closely with a primary care doctor to ensure you are on the appropriate antihypertensive regimen. If you are having symptoms suggestive of heart disease such as chest pain, shortness of breath or palpitations with activity (walking up stairs) then you might need to see a cardiologist.

I hope this helps
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by naijadoc2b: 4:30am On Jan 13, 2017
ChelseaDr:

It is necessary but not mandatory including the one taken after delivery. This is because if after birth and your baby's blood group is also type Negative, then you don't need rhogam.

Some people like giving the injection at 28-30 weeks and after delivery others just give at delivery while another set of people will insist on knowing the baby's blood group before giving. Infact because of the cost many prefer the last two options.

However, if you experience bleeding or fall while pregnant doctors will advise you get the injection unless you have determined that the baby you are carrying in your womb also has a negative blood type.

Thanks ChelseaDr for your response to this question. As stated, this is the current standard of practice and it is recommended by Ob-Gyn. I would post the supporting evidence from ACOG but the last time I included a weblink I was temporarily banned by the autobot sad. Thanks again and I hope she finds this helpful!
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by ChelseaDr(m): 6:53am On Jan 13, 2017
naijadoc2b:

Thanks ChelseaDr for your response to this question. As stated, this is the current standard of practice and it is recommended by Ob-Gyn. I would post the supporting evidence from ACOG but the last time I included a weblink I was temporarily banned by the autobot sad. Thanks again and I hope she finds this helpful!

You're welcome, thanks.
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by Yesitsme(f): 10:06am On Jan 13, 2017
ChelseaDr:

very helpful, I have taken the Rhogam at 29weeks will take another after delivery.
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by Yesitsme(f): 10:06am On Jan 13, 2017
ChelseaDr:

very helpful, I have taken the Rhogam at 29weeks will take another after delivery. Thanks
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by naijadoc2b: 9:24pm On Jan 13, 2017
dixon400:
Please by bp is always above 140 and am not even 25yet. My diastolic pressure is normal but my pulse is also high. It is not like am thinking too much. I don't want to start using bp drugs yet. What can u recommend ?

I certainly understand your concern and it is great that you are being proactive and paying close attention to your health. I agree that it is concerning that you are consistently getting systolic blood pressure numbers (upper number) above 140. Two independent readings above 140 as you have described meets the definition for hypertension. However, the other thing to consider is "white coat" hypertension which is not really hypertension. This essentially means your blood pressure is only elevated in the medical setting like a doctors office (hence the term white coat). In this case, I advise patients to obtain a home blood pressure cuff and check their blood pressure at home and to see if it is still consistently elevated. Often times, it normalizes on this environment.

With that said, if the diagnosis of hypertension was confirmed then efforts would be made to make lifestyle changes particularly if it's only mildly elevated. This means weight loss, exercise and maintaining a healthy diet. Often times, this is enough to manage this level of hypertension. If still unimproved then we can pursue secondary causes of hypertension given your young age and explore therapy with medications.

The key here is that blood pressure medications is not the first step!

Hope you find this helpful.
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by stepo707: 6:47am On Jan 14, 2017
nnamdiokere45:
boss we r many hear on nairaland dat have dat typhoid problem ooo...i don tire for am self.
100naira fresh bitter leaf and 100naira scent leaf.pound both of them together after removing them from stick.then put clean water inside and filter it.drink a full cup morning and night for 3 days.it will help you for a long time.infs t do it every month.
It will help for the malaria and typhoid
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by Nobody: 11:10pm On Jan 14, 2017
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by Nobody: 11:11pm On Jan 14, 2017
Hello Doc, can someone with a bs in psychology apply or is eligible for med school or any med related course
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by naijadoc2b: 10:00pm On Jan 15, 2017
Tushborn:
pls i need more info abt paranoid schizophrenia and can it be cured?. and what drug is best for its treatment with less side effects.

Paranoid schizophrenia is a type of schizophrenia based on the type of signs/symptoms being predominantly displayed. In this case paranoia is a hallmark of this in addition to meeting the classification for schizophrenia which typically involves ongoing psychosis.

Regarding your main question which is treatment. Schizophrenia is typically managed with Antipsychotics which are classified by their generation (i.e 1st generation, 2nd generation based on when they were introduced to the market with 1st generation typically having a worse adverse effect/side effect profile). However, that is where my recommendation will stop because this should actually be closely managed by a psychiatrist as this are powerful psychoactive medications that should be closely monitored. In my prior trips to lagos, I have commonly seen this medications on the shelves of (though not sure of their authenticity) the local street pharmacy along with cancer medications. When I asked the seller what they were used for his response was comical and actually scary to consider people are buying this off the street.

Please see a psychiatrist for further management and recommendations!

I hope you found this helpful
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by naijadoc2b: 11:32pm On Jan 15, 2017
samyomz:
Hello Doc, can someone with a bs in psychology apply or is eligible for med school or any med related course

Yes, you are eligible to apply for medical school regardless of major in your undergraduate studies as long as you have completed the necessary prerequisite courses and entrance exam. See my prior post on the first page for further details on this topic
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by naijadoc2b: 11:41pm On Jan 15, 2017
teamchocolate:
Hi thank you for this thread.. i am a doctor in nigeria with a masters in public health and a fellowship in public health in view.. i am interested in the position of research assistant in any university in the US of course in somewhere related to public health.. because to be quite frank i am just really tired of clinical medicine and i also want international exposure by virtue of training in public health abroad cuz sorry to say our own universities are not the best and sadly i wont be able to afford a masters on my own hence the idea of being a research assistant.... pls how do you suggest I go about this.. thanks in anticipation of your response

I can certainly understand your perspective on this. The best way to pursue a research assistant position is to reach out to the specific departments at your universities of interest directly. Introduce yourself concisely, detailing your background and purpose of your inquiry. The more academically accomplished you are by virtue of current research publications and stage in academic training the higher your chances would be in securing a position barring a significant immigration related issues. These departments typically have funding appropriately for each years spending and the sooner you reach out to them the better as local applicants have the benefit of home field advantage. It is also important to utilize any contacts you might have at any one of these institutions as they are more likely to respond favorable to recommendation from someone they know personally.

There are also other national programs from the National Institutes of Health, Howard Hughes medical institute (2 major ones that come to mind) that are competitive but typically are excellent programs with great exit opportunities. The key here is to be optimistic, and persistent because you will likely have to knock on many doors before one actually opens.

Hope you find this helpful

1 Like

Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by teamchocolate: 2:20am On Jan 16, 2017
Thank you very much for your reply.. Will start looking out.

naijadoc2b:

I can certainly understand your perspective on this. The best way to pursue a research assistant position is to reach out to the specific departments at your universities of interest directly. Introduce yourself concisely, detailing your background and purpose of your inquiry. The more academically accomplished you are by virtue of current research publications and stage in academic training the higher your chances would be in securing a position barring a significant immigration related issues. These departments typically have funding appropriately for each years spending and the sooner you reach out to them the better as local applicants have the benefit of home field advantage. It is also important to utilize any contacts you might have at any one of these institutions as they are more likely to respond favorable to recommendation from someone they know personally.

There are also other national programs from the National Institutes of Health, Howard Hughes medical institute (2 major ones that come to mind) that are competitive but typically are excellent programs with great exit opportunities. The key here is to be optimistic, and persistent because you will likely have to knock on many doors before one actually opens.

Hope you find this helpful
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by zika19(f): 4:49pm On Jan 16, 2017
Hello doc. My 3years old boy has this blisters on his stomach. Has taken him to two govt hospitals. But all their prescriptions has not solved it. what could be the cause and remedy.

Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by naijadoc2b: 12:04am On Jan 19, 2017
zika19:
Hello doc. My 3years old boy has this blisters on his stomach. Has taken him to two govt hospitals. But all their prescriptions has not solved it. what could be the cause and remedy.

Sorry to hear about the difficulties your little boy has been having. I have a few follow up questions to better understand whats going on in order to try to provide the most accurate response possible.
-When did you first notice this? how long has it been there?
-Did it always have that red appearance or did it change after some time?
-Is he having any other associated symptoms such as fever, nausea/vomiting, itching around that site or pain etc?
-Is he up to date with his immunizations?
-Can you please take another picture that shows most of his trunk from neck to lower abdomen (please don't show his head) so I can get a better sense of the location and distribution
-What type of medications has he been given so far?

Please try to answer all these questions and we will take it from there. Thanks!

I am currently working with a few medical colleagues in partnership with major healthcare stake holders in Nigeria on bringing world class medical care to the Nigerian population. We are very interested in hearing from the masses in order to fully understand your current thoughts, needs and desires in the ideal medical practice.

We would sincerely appreciate you taking a few minutes to complete this survey to enable us to better serve your needs. We strongly believe that Nigerians should have access to world class medical care and will work hard to make this a reality!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Z6THZ2F
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by zika19(f): 3:55pm On Jan 19, 2017
Thanks for your response and concern. it started when he was 8months old. it Is always clear expect when he scratches it. He doesn't feel nauseous, no vomiting and no fever. Only the itching but is not frequent. Have used neoclav antibiotics,piriton syrup, trigenol cream,virest aciclovir cream.

Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by zika19(f): 3:58pm On Jan 19, 2017
yes, he has finished his immunization
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by Nobody: 10:20pm On Jan 19, 2017
please what drug can someone use to cure stap that is resistant to Cipro tap nd augmentin
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by naijadoc2b: 7:03am On Jan 23, 2017
zika19:
yes, he has finished his immunization

A couple of things. The fact that it has been present for that long is quite unusual (since he was 8 months till now that he is 3yrs old). It never improved or resolved in between? This type of rashes in children are typically viral. Particularly given the distribution things like herpes zoster, unilateral laterothoracic exanthema come to mind. However, this typically resolve on their own and treatment is aimed at shortening the duration and symptom management.

I would recommend applying calamine lotion or 1% topical hydrocortisone to help with the itching and decrease ongoing irritation. You try to take him to a dermatologist if you can find a reputable one for further evaluation. Someone needs to take a sample from one of those vesicles for further testing which might help make the diagnosis.
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by naijadoc2b: 7:04am On Jan 23, 2017
please what drug can someone use to cure stap that is resistant to Cipro tap nd augmentin

Can you clarify your question? do you mean staph aureus? how was this resistance pattern your quoting determined?

Thanks
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by chrissyjay: 3:47pm On Jan 23, 2017
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by adex1300(m): 5:03pm On Jan 23, 2017
am just 29 and I do have chest pain and some other symptoms. doc pls advise me on what to do
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by kachiben(m): 8:58pm On Jan 23, 2017
Symptoms of paranoid schizophrenia are :
Hearing strange voices in clear consciousness, believes that people plot evil against you, verbal and physical aggression, poor sleep, believes that there thoughts, impulse and actions are been controlled by external forces, poor personal hygiene, social withdrawal.

If you need further treatment you meet a psychiatrist like me who will exam you further and know the type of drug that is best for you based on your age
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by zika19(f): 9:10pm On Jan 23, 2017
Thank you once again doc.
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by naijadoc2b: 8:19pm On Mar 14, 2017
No problem at all. I hope I was helpful and wish your son all the best
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by naijadoc2b: 8:20pm On Mar 14, 2017
kachiben:
Symptoms of paranoid schizophrenia are :
Hearing strange voices in clear consciousness, believes that people plot evil against you, verbal and physical aggression, poor sleep, believes that there thoughts, impulse and actions are been controlled by external forces, poor personal hygiene, social withdrawal.

If you need further treatment you meet a psychiatrist like me who will exam you further and know the type of drug that is best for you based on your age

Thanks for your input. Evaluation by a psychiatrist as stated is what is needed
Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by naijadoc2b: 8:23pm On Mar 14, 2017
adex1300:
am just 29 and I do have chest pain and some other symptoms. doc pls advise me on what to do

It is not possible to advise you further based on your vague description because "chest pain" can be caused by a multitude of things. The most worrisome of which is the heart but a majority of the time is due to something else. Such as GERD (gastroesophageal reflux), musculoskeletal strain (especially if the area is tender when you push on it), chronic cough to name a few of the most likely culprits

1 Like

Re: Doctor Based In The US Open To All Questions! by maggdon(m): 9:38pm On Mar 14, 2017
Pls doc, what's d home remedy for loss of hearing caused by ibuprofen

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Supersized Women Making Money Off Their Obesity. / Looking For Herbal Products To Cure Any Of Your Ailments / Cure For Pile

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.