Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,504 members, 7,819,828 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:54 AM

Why Is Pound Outstripping Dollars In Nigeria - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Is Pound Outstripping Dollars In Nigeria (18063 Views)

Pound Falls As Lawmakers Challenge May’s Brexit Deal Before Crucial Vote / CBN To Sell Dollars In Special Auction To Clear Backlogs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Pound Outstripping Dollars In Nigeria by lekpaboy(m): 7:20am On Dec 14, 2016
pathetic
Re: Why Is Pound Outstripping Dollars In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:21am On Dec 14, 2016
eddd:
In this period of economic downturn, there's no denying the fact that life has become very harsh and almost unbearable for the majority. But another truth we must accept is the fact that few are still thriving financially in the midst of this harsh economic weather. Why is this? I believe you know the answer already.
There are so many people today with their sight set on big financial goals for their future. More specifically, there are many individuals today who are looking for ways to become a millionaire. In fact there is no end to the different types of approaches and suggestions out there. But unfortunately, majority do not consider the trend in making decision on choosing their approach to building wealth. They seem to have forgotten that in every time and age, people who have become very successful are those that have carefully ride on the tide of trend .
Crypto-Currency (bitcoin) also known as e-currency is fast becoming the trend in the world today.
I strongly advice that you throw away every form of insinuation and open your mind to learn exactly how this works and how you can take advantage of this trend.

BITCOINS

What is Bitcoin? If you have been on the internet, chances are that you must have heard about bitcoin even though it is just the name. However I'll explain briefly what the craze about bitcoins is about.
Bitcoin is an e-currency or digital currency which was created in 2009 by a man named Satoshi Nakamoto and is currently being termed as the most important invention of mankind after the internet.
Bitcoin is one of the reigning and most expensive digital currencies in the world today, known as crypto currency. Presently more than 750,000 companies online uses BITCOIN for their transactions. Its getting more accepted, popular and stronger than the normal paper currency we are used to such as the dollar, pounds, naira etc.

1 bitcoin equals to $760 as at today and financial analysts have speculated that it might get to $1,000 before the end of this year.

For training on how to invest in bitcoins and make good dividends, join the Bitcoin Gold Classic investors.

For more details reach me via this number: 08164058477 or through email on okhamafea@gmail.com

I strongly advice that you throw away every form of insinuation and open your mind to learn exactly how this works and how you can take advantage of this trend.

Note: training will cost you nothing

How are you sure bitcoin won't end up like E-gold and Liberty reserve?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pound Outstripping Dollars In Nigeria by IVORY2009(m): 7:22am On Dec 14, 2016
sucreblazing:
Suspension of withdrawal 1. Make sure you are very close to your friends and relatives who are into MMM. 2.Observe their every movement and monitor where they are going to. 3. If you see any of them going close to a River, Ocean or Stream, raise an alarm and invite the police. 4. If you see any of them talking to him or herself, alert the nearest psychiatrist hospital. 5. If any of them begins to behave angrily and break or destroy things, please notify your friends and use cow rope to tie the person Please pass it round to save lives
grin grin
Re: Why Is Pound Outstripping Dollars In Nigeria by wakes: 7:22am On Dec 14, 2016
I never noticed it initially.
Re: Why Is Pound Outstripping Dollars In Nigeria by Dharkchild: 7:23am On Dec 14, 2016
Its very basic... the british economy is steadily growing.

Lets use this analogy.
Taking the US economy and the british ecoomy constant
Assumimg when the USD was N200, GBP was N300
Autoatically, when the usd becomes N400, the GBP should be N600.

However other forces (international) are into play such as the brexit which made the GBP fall over 18% to the USD and alsothe strong rising USD due to innovation, the continous demand for American products and Trumps election win. All these has kept the USD higher than the GBP therefore maintaining about the same N100 difference because of the stagation of the GBP

Now that the british economy are beginning to get over their brexit issue and mapping out stratrgies to overcome, the economy is gradually growing again. The little growth is howver evident in our economy because of the poor value of the Naira.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Pound Outstripping Dollars In Nigeria by McTobe(m): 7:24am On Dec 14, 2016
funstufz:
Pls info me on: nushyte@yahoo.co.uk Thanks
Your points are so true. What then are your suggestions.
Re: Why Is Pound Outstripping Dollars In Nigeria by IVORY2009(m): 7:25am On Dec 14, 2016
opal4real:

How are you sure bitcoin won't end up like E-gold and Liberty reserve?

I am telling you my brother, there are some wicked sites I go to, due to the nature of my job, in time to come bitcoin will go the way Liberty reserve and co went, u will not believe way it is been used for, and most of those boys are very rich, using it to trade in drugs online, buy stolen goods etc and they hide their IP's to beat the laws of the land.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Pound Outstripping Dollars In Nigeria by ChiSun27(m): 7:33am On Dec 14, 2016
sexfabregas:
I always tell my friends that I would not hesitate to leave this stupid ass country if the opportunity presents itself, even if I am in final year. l will still take off.

Na lie.....you no fit!!!
Re: Why Is Pound Outstripping Dollars In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:35am On Dec 14, 2016
buharimustlive:
BUHARI is the cause..

That Fulani herdsman is the dullest president in the world....

See what he did to our Nigeria economy he destroyed, killed and buried it.

GEJ please come back.

GEJ cannot come back. Stop being irresponsible. Nigeria is a country of more than 170m people. There are million others who are light years better than both GMB and GEJ. Get a grip on your loss. Move on!

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Pound Outstripping Dollars In Nigeria by omogidi234(m): 7:44am On Dec 14, 2016
unclezuma:
grin grin grin grin

My brother Nigeria no longer subscribes to the international laws of physics, economics and politics.

I felt like giving you 1 million likes but admin only allows just 1. I have dropped that 1 like.

I have been saying this thing since 8 years now. I don't know about physics and politics theories BUT global economic theories hardly ever work here.

On Monday, I still discussed with a banker.

I told him we need Nigerian economist to propound Nigerian economic theories.

6 Likes

Re: Why Is Pound Outstripping Dollars In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:47am On Dec 14, 2016
omogidi234:

I felt like giving you 1 million likes but admin only allows just 1. I have dropped that 1 like.

I have been saying this thing since 8 years now. I don't know about physics and politics theories BUT global economic theories hardly ever work here.

On Monday, I still discussed with a banker.

I told him we need Nigerian economist to propound Nigerian economic theories.

If I talk my full mind on Nigeria both sides of the fence will clamour for my ban.

You are correct on both counts democracy and international economics is just not working for us.
Re: Why Is Pound Outstripping Dollars In Nigeria by ikp120(m): 8:00am On Dec 14, 2016
Adekorya:
The handler of EFCC official twitter account is a big clown grin

That's the type of guys we need there right now.

I hate it when people act dumb all in the name of being "official". Let it be real and fun mehn because we're in recession mehn grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Pound Outstripping Dollars In Nigeria by yahmohy27: 8:04am On Dec 14, 2016
buharimustlive:
BUHARI is the cause..

GEJ please come back.
Dreamer
Re: Why Is Pound Outstripping Dollars In Nigeria by amanze15(m): 8:04am On Dec 14, 2016
buharimustlive:
BUHARI is the cause..

GEJ please come back.

please say a prayer to the demise of common sense, undecided

if you can mention one thing he did to the economy to worsen it, i would provide you common sense therapeutic centers you can visit.

what nonsense!!!
Re: Why Is Pound Outstripping Dollars In Nigeria by yahmohy27: 8:05am On Dec 14, 2016
buharimustlive:
BUHARI is the cause..

GEJ please come back.
Dreamer ,comeback to do what sef?
Re: Why Is Pound Outstripping Dollars In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:21am On Dec 14, 2016
dhardline:
undecided. Am surprised Buhari is still in power.

The senate of a sane country would have impeached this man already. Just look at the level of suffering the masses are facing. It's Dec, Christmas is less than 2weeks from now but it looks like we are in May.
I like it when like minds reason alike. I have been thinking along the same lines too. Those idiots in the red chamber don't know the powers that they possess. If not they would have sent that mall am back to his cows where he rightly belongs. Same way they impeached the Brazilian president and the Chinese president

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pound Outstripping Dollars In Nigeria by fkdmods: 8:22am On Dec 14, 2016
buharimustlive:
BUHARI is the cause..

GEJ please come back.

If Buhari is a dullard, it is because Nigerians are mostly dull. If Buhari is ignorant, it is because Nigeria is an ignorant society. Buhari is a reflection of the psychological and moral representation of Nigerians. The mere fact that you are asking for the return of GEJ proves my point. You guys don't learn from anything. You are like a rock; Nothing passes through it and nothing can come out of it. You as a people cannot retain knowledge. You forget too easily. Also remember, people vote for leaders who they think are like them. No one coerced them into placing their ballots for him. They saw a reflection of him in their daily lives. Now that you all are confronted with who truly represents your ideals, you are all shocked and flabbergasted. It is like looking in a mirror and not liking what you see. It will happen again. Nigeria has a history of it's people not learning from past mistakes. People who don't acknowledge history and their mistakes are doomed to repeat them. If you listen to fela's songs he released in the 70's, you'd think he released them just yesterday.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Pound Outstripping Dollars In Nigeria by panpan(m): 8:33am On Dec 14, 2016
I don't understand the op's analysis. At present, 1 pound = 1.2662 dollar (https://xe.com)

If 1 dollar costs 485 naira, then 1 pound should be 614 naira.

If the pound can be purchased at 605 naira, then the pound is relatively cheap.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Pound Outstripping Dollars In Nigeria by ezeagu(m): 8:35am On Dec 14, 2016
Nnamdi Kanu na winch, na him do unu. Free Biafra una no gree.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Pound Outstripping Dollars In Nigeria by Adeniyimi: 8:39am On Dec 14, 2016
sexfabregas:
I always tell my friends that I would not hesitate to leave this stupid ass country if the opportunity presents itself, keven if I am in final year. l will still take off.

You got lots of chances to leave. Go to Togo, Niger, Ghana, Kenya, ivory coast. Its visa free
Re: Why Is Pound Outstripping Dollars In Nigeria by ekenetheorg(m): 8:42am On Dec 14, 2016
Poor mathematics from OP. if the difference between dollar and pound with respect to Naira is 100, at a specific exchange rate, this difference will change as the exchange rate if either currency changes. Example:

$1=N200, 1£=300
$1=N400, 1£=600

The difference has moved from 100 to 200. But this isn't always true. A little difference will also arise bases on other forces that affect the two currencies.

Just go buy bitcoin from Nairafinex.com and stop hoping to buy pounds, then change to dollar to arrive at a cheaper rate.

spinna:
Before the dollar was usually a 100 naira behind the pound. Today pound is 605 so the dollar would usually be 505 butthe dollar is 485..i think its the recent clampdown on bdcs
Re: Why Is Pound Outstripping Dollars In Nigeria by Mathemagician1(m): 8:45am On Dec 14, 2016
Adekorya:
The handler of EFCC official twitter account is a big clown grin

grin cheesy

Hey make a thread for this, it could pass for a great comic on front page. Tag me when you do please.
Thanks
Re: Why Is Pound Outstripping Dollars In Nigeria by CXLVII: 8:46am On Dec 14, 2016
I beg who know MMM head office in Nigeria?
Re: Why Is Pound Outstripping Dollars In Nigeria by Rekeb: 8:49am On Dec 14, 2016
The OP's observation is not correct. Check actual figures on http://abokifx.com/previous-rates-2/.

Let's assume for a moment that it is even correct, it is a matter of simple ratio for the difference to be more than 100 at higher values even if dollar and pound are of equal strength. See the analysis below.

That means if dollar was N200 when pound was N300 (this is just and example), then pound should be N750 should be when dollar is N500. Ratio of pound to dollar of 1:1.5

Based on the exchange rates we have now, dollar has even appreciated far more than pound.

Re: Why Is Pound Outstripping Dollars In Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 10:06am On Dec 14, 2016
sexfabregas:
I always tell my friends that I would not hesitate to leave this stupid ass country if the opportunity presents itself, even if I am in final year. l will still take off.
U better finish school first undecided
Re: Why Is Pound Outstripping Dollars In Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 10:08am On Dec 14, 2016
fkdmods:

If Buhari is a dullard, it is because Nigerians are mostly dull. If Buhari is ignorant, it is because Nigeria is an ignorant society. Buhari is a reflection of the psychological and moral representation of Nigerians. The mere fact that you are asking for the return of GEJ proves my point. You guys don't learn from anything. You are like a rock; Nothing passes through it and nothing can come out of it. You as a people cannot retain knowledge. You forget too easily. Also remember, people vote for leaders who they think are like them. No one coerced them into placing their ballots for him. They saw a reflection of him in their daily lives. Now that you all are confronted with who truly represents your ideals, you are all shocked and flabbergasted. It is like looking in a mirror and not liking what you see. It will happen again. Nigeria has a history of it's people not learning from past mistakes. People who don't acknowledge history and their mistakes are doomed to repeat them. If you listen to fela's songs he released in the 70's, you'd think he released them just yesterday.
FAct is we needed someone way better than PMB and GEJ,
Re: Why Is Pound Outstripping Dollars In Nigeria by ugees(m): 10:23am On Dec 14, 2016
well said!

RentALodge:
LOL. It's because the Nigerian government made it that way.

Anytime the government talks about Forex, it's almost always referring to dollars, at least in action. In order to force a favourable exchange rate for the Naira, the Nigerian government commenced a clampdown on money changers, called Bureau De Change operators, and ordered for the price of dollar to come down. They neglected to do that for pounds.

Dozens of money changers have since this clampdown been arrested by officials of the State Security Service, SSS, in Lagos and Abuja.

This is something great about the free market system, it is difficult for you to cheat it. The communist mindset of the present government fails to realize that.

You cannot force the dollar to come down and make it available. It's not possible. You either free float it and make the forces of demand and supply to balance out, or force it to come down and make it scarce. Businesses are in business because they want to make money, not because they want to do charity.
Re: Why Is Pound Outstripping Dollars In Nigeria by Pchidexy(m): 10:25am On Dec 14, 2016
Buhari is not fit to rule Nigeria. He doesn't understand basic economics! I blame Yorubas!

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Pound Outstripping Dollars In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:28am On Dec 14, 2016
spinna:
Before the dollar was usually a 100 naira behind the pound. Today pound is 605 so the dollar would usually be 505 butthe dollar is 485..i think its the recent clampdown on bdcs

If you know how to do ratios and mathematical relationships, you would know that the gap won't be a singular figure..

If Naira was 200 to a dollar.

When naira was 250 to pound.

The gap had not always been #100 and cannot be a fixed figure broda. You only spotted #100 when you started paying attention to the exchange rate..
Re: Why Is Pound Outstripping Dollars In Nigeria by Akainzo(m): 10:33am On Dec 14, 2016
dhardline:
undecided. Am surprised Buhari is still in power.

The senate of a sane country would have impeached this man already. Just look at the level of suffering the masses are facing. It's Dec, Christmas is less than 2weeks from now but it looks like we are in May.

Let's say they impeach him and replace him with Ben Bruce from Bayelsa State, I believe the following will immediately happen:

1. Nigeria's oil income would immediately triple.
2. The Naira will make a u-turn and become 150/$.
3. Millions of job will be created as militants setup companies from the money they've been hoarding.
4. The price of rice would crash to 6K per bag as everyone is celebrating
5. The hardship in the country would just disappear fiam!
6. Nigeria would start to earn Billions of dollars from the export of Textile, Rubber, Tin, Cassava, etc
7. The vaults of the CBN would be filled with dollars

8. Nigerians would be smiling, happy, joyous and celebrating being the 3rd largest economy in the world!

NASS, let's do it!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Pound Outstripping Dollars In Nigeria by EternalTruths: 10:47am On Dec 14, 2016
unclezuma:
grin grin grin grin

My brother, Nigeria no longer subscribes to the international laws of physics, economics and politics.
We are left with just each other, God and our leaders.

You are very funny

Laugh wan burst my bellebel grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Is Pound Outstripping Dollars In Nigeria by Rottentooth: 11:10am On Dec 14, 2016
The pound also outstrips the dollar in Ghana.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Have You Ever Been Scammed Before? / Jim Ovia: "My Lagos Success Story" (Video) / FG Appoints Abdul-Akaba Sumaila As Sole Administrator Of Ajaokuta Steel Complex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.