Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,036 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:12 AM

UK May Welcome ‘Baby With Two Mothers’ Before End Of 2017 - Concise News - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / UK May Welcome ‘Baby With Two Mothers’ Before End Of 2017 - Concise News (1173 Views)

Couple Who Met On Twitter Welcome Baby / Folorunsho Alakija Appreciated For Helping Baby With Hole In His Heart / Nigerian Couple Welcome Baby Boy After 14 Years Of Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

UK May Welcome ‘Baby With Two Mothers’ Before End Of 2017 - Concise News by lordy(m): 11:22am On Dec 15, 2016
The UK’s fertility regulator is about to make a historic decision on whether to allow the creation of babies from three people; a father and two biological mothers.

The technique will help prevent babies being born with deadly genetic diseases.

Three-person IVF has been backed by MPs and peers, got ethical approval and has been shown to be scientifically ready.

A meeting of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority on Thursday will decide whether to give the final go-ahead.

If it does, the first such baby could, at the earliest, be born towards the end of 2017.

How does it work?

The baby would have all the genetic information from its mother and father, plus a tiny amount from a donor woman.

The fertility technique has been developed to prevent deadly mitochondrial disease.

Mitochondria are the tiny structures in every cell that convert food into useable energy.

Defective mitochondria affect one in 200 babies. In severe cases it can leave the child with insufficient energy to keep their heart beating, sustain the brain or move muscles.

Mitochondria are passed on only from the mother, so a second donor egg is needed to create healthy children.

But as mitochondria have their own genetic code, it means resulting children have DNA from three people.

They would have 0.1% of their DNA from the second woman – a permanent change that would be passed down through the generations.

Is it ethical?

Both the Commons and the Lords approved regulations to allow the creation of such babies in 2015.

And reports by the Nuffield Council of Bioethics and the HFEA concluded the process would be ethical.

But the final safety checks held things up and new concerns emerged that the procedure would fail in one in eight pregnancies.

The HFEA’s science advisors concluded last month that it was time to start.

Prof Robin Lovell Badge, one of the advisors, told the BBC at the time: “We’re not going to learn much more now unless you try it out for real basically – it’s at that stage.

“There’s no reason why it shouldn’t go ahead now, but do it cautiously on selected patients where the risk of having a badly affected child is very high.”

Read full story here: www.concisenews.global/health/world-may-welcome-babies-with-two-biological-mothers-before-end-of-2017/

What do you think?

1 Like

Re: UK May Welcome ‘Baby With Two Mothers’ Before End Of 2017 - Concise News by spawnx: 7:34pm On Dec 15, 2016
Genetic modifications at molecular level!
Re: UK May Welcome ‘Baby With Two Mothers’ Before End Of 2017 - Concise News by RGem(f): 10:53pm On Dec 15, 2016
Genetics is interesting.
Re: UK May Welcome ‘Baby With Two Mothers’ Before End Of 2017 - Concise News by Nobody: 10:56pm On Dec 15, 2016
It is but so complicated angry

I remember writing an exam about this topic once angry
RGem:
Genetics is interesting.
Re: UK May Welcome ‘Baby With Two Mothers’ Before End Of 2017 - Concise News by Nobody: 11:01pm On Dec 15, 2016
0.1% of the mitochondrial DNA is not bad at all smiley
Re: UK May Welcome ‘Baby With Two Mothers’ Before End Of 2017 - Concise News by cococandy(f): 1:31am On Dec 16, 2016
ItsQuinn:

I agree. I have a degree in biotechnology. genetics made it tougher to get. But it's really fascinating
Re: UK May Welcome ‘Baby With Two Mothers’ Before End Of 2017 - Concise News by Nobody: 3:47am On Dec 16, 2016
There's nothing really spectacular about this. It's just advanced surrogacy....
Re: UK May Welcome ‘Baby With Two Mothers’ Before End Of 2017 - Concise News by Nobody: 6:34am On Dec 16, 2016
I know right sad

Nice smiley....I have a degree in biomedical science.

The topics that fascinate me the most are cloning and genetic mutations or diseases smiley
cococandy:
I agree. I have a degree in biotechnology. genetics made it tougher to get. But it's really fascinating
Re: UK May Welcome ‘Baby With Two Mothers’ Before End Of 2017 - Concise News by RGem(f): 1:33pm On Dec 16, 2016
ItsQuinn:

Yeah, it is.
Narrowly passed the exam in school back then.
Re: UK May Welcome ‘Baby With Two Mothers’ Before End Of 2017 - Concise News by Nobody: 2:00pm On Dec 16, 2016
Same....thank God it wasn't my final exam undecided
RGem:

Yeah, it is.
Narrowly passed the exam in school back then.
Re: UK May Welcome ‘Baby With Two Mothers’ Before End Of 2017 - Concise News by lordy(m): 2:25pm On Dec 16, 2016
Genetics, if you ask me, seems to hold the key to the cure of presently incurable diseases like Cancer, Diabetes, and some birth defects.
Re: UK May Welcome ‘Baby With Two Mothers’ Before End Of 2017 - Concise News by kayemjay(m): 8:08pm On Dec 16, 2016
ItsQuinn:
I know right sad

Nice smiley....I have a degree in biomedical science.

The topics that fascinate me the most are cloning and genetic mutations or diseases smiley

Have you seen this TV Series: The Strain?

You would love it. Whats up darling?
Re: UK May Welcome ‘Baby With Two Mothers’ Before End Of 2017 - Concise News by Nobody: 10:12am On Dec 17, 2016
No but I've seen the trailer of it.

I'm fine thank you, how have you been? smiley
kayemjay:

Have you seen this TV Series: The Strain?

You would love it. Whats up darling?

(1) (Reply)

At 35 He Was A Doctor... Had A Car, And Even A Driver... / Man Caught Naked Inside Neighbour’s Flat With Wife / Can You Sleep Without Eating Because The Person You Love Broke Your Heart?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.