Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,873 members, 7,817,571 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:41 PM

Religion: An Illusion That Works Well - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religion: An Illusion That Works Well (23907 Views)

Free Will Is An Illusion / Back To The Illusion: How Can We Know Our Reality Is An Illusion? / Donald Trump Vs Islam Is An ILLUSION Like Superman Vs Muhammad Ali. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Religion: An Illusion That Works Well by dalaman: 7:58am On Dec 16, 2016
DoctorAlien:

Can you disprove the assertion that atheism promotes the view that life is meaningless and purposeless?

Bear in mind that anything that is purposeless has no reason to be.

Atheism is simply the disbelief in the existence of Gods. Meaning can be found in various philosophies of life. An atheist can be a humanist for example. Religion isn't the only philosophy that gives life meaning. There are atheistic religions like Buddhism so you clearly do not even know what you are talking about by insinuating that atheism view life as meaningless. Many atheist subscribe to the buddist philosophy and strive to archive nirvana and they see that as the meaning and purpose of their lives.

1 Like

Re: Religion: An Illusion That Works Well by dalaman: 8:03am On Dec 16, 2016
felixomor:

So what is the meaning of your own life?

I derive meaning from various things for my life. Different things give me meaning and shape my life. As I said life has NO universal meaning. We all.pick and chose what ever it is we want to give us meaning and purpose.

1 Like

Re: Religion: An Illusion That Works Well by felixomor: 8:08am On Dec 16, 2016
dalaman:

I derive meaning from various things for my life. Different things give me meaning and shape my life. As I said life has NO universal meaning . We all.pick and chose what ever it is we want to give us meaning and purpose.

So it took u almost 4 paragraphs to contradict urself after u have finished lashing out at the atheist who said life is meaningless.
U still landed at the spot "life is meaningless"

Or is it the grammar that swindled u before?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Religion: An Illusion That Works Well by damogul: 8:08am On Dec 16, 2016
dalaman:

Life has meaning but the meaning of life is whatever you choose to make of it. Life has no universal meaning. We all chose the meaning we want to attach to life.

To a muslim life's meaning is to submit his/herself to the will of Allah as a loyal slave To a Buddhist life's meaning is to achieve nirvana, to a christian is to achieve salvation in the life to come, to a hedonist life's meaning is to gain as much sensual pleasure as possible, to a sadistic psychopath life's meaning is to inflict as much pains and sorrow on others. A humanist sees the meaning of life as making sure you preserve life and maintain social justice. Life does have meaning to people. It just depends on whatever you choose to accept as the meaning of life. Nihalist are the ones that see life as meaningless.

You are confusing yourself. You say life has meaning but it depends on what meaning is attached to it. Is Meaninglessness not a meaning to some?

Doing a micro study usig nairaland, How many atheists are here on nairaland and out of the few (lets say 500) about 3 have subscribed to life being meaningless and one even went as far as wishing we all went extinct.

Is meaninglessness not meaningful to him?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Religion: An Illusion That Works Well by DoctorAlien(m): 8:11am On Dec 16, 2016
dalaman:

Atheism is simply the disbelief in the existence of Gods. Meaning can be found in various philosophies of life. An atheist can be a humanist for example. Religion isn't the only philosophy that gives life meaning. There are atheistic religions like Buddhism so you clearly do not even know what you are talking about by insinuating that atheism view life as meaningless. Many atheist subscribe to the buddist philosophy and strive to archive nirvana and they see that as the meaning and purpose of their lives.

Assuming I am to become an atheist today: why should I subscribe to a view like humanism?
Re: Religion: An Illusion That Works Well by dalaman: 8:17am On Dec 16, 2016
damogul:

You are confusing yourself. You say life has meaning but it depends on what meaning is attached to it. Is Meaninglessness not a meaning to some?

Doing a micro study usig nairaland, How many atheists are here on nairaland and out of the few (lets say 500) about 3 have subscribed to life being meaningless and one even went as far as wishing we all went extinct.

Is meaninglessness not meaningful to him?

Only one atheist so far as stated that life is meaningless here on NL. If you know of any other state his name and qoute where he said it. Life has meaning and the meaning is what ever we chose to ascribe to it.
Re: Religion: An Illusion That Works Well by dalaman: 8:19am On Dec 16, 2016
felixomor:

So it took u almost 4 paragraphs to contradict urself after u have finished lashing out at the atheist who said life is meaningless.
U still landed at the spot "life is meaningless"

Or is it the grammar that swindled u before?

What is the universal meaning of life to all humans? Prove to me that life has the same.meaning to all humans.
Re: Religion: An Illusion That Works Well by dalaman: 8:21am On Dec 16, 2016
DoctorAlien:

Assuming I am to become an atheist today: why should I subscribe to a view like humanism?

Its left for you to study the humanist philosophy and chose whether to accept it or discard it based on its merits and demerits. I am.not the one to tell you what to do.
Re: Religion: An Illusion That Works Well by felixomor: 8:23am On Dec 16, 2016
dalaman:

Only one atheist so far as stated that life is meaningless here on NL. If you know of any other state his name and quite where he said it. Life has meaning and the meaning is what ever we chose to ascribe to it.

dalaman:

I derive meaning from various things for my life. Different things give me meaning and shape my life. As I said life has NO universal meaning. We all.pick and chose what ever it is we want to give us meaning and purpose.

(I hope u can see those 2 bolded sentences)

In other words, anybody who finds meaning to life (including you) is living in a delusion.

because if something doesnt exist universally and i find it personally. Thats a delusion.

So according to the above you and majority of the atheists (as u claim) who find meaning to life live also in the same delusions as religious people.

Abi?

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Religion: An Illusion That Works Well by DoctorAlien(m): 8:26am On Dec 16, 2016
dalaman:

Its left for you to study the humanist philosophy and chose whether to accept it or discard it based on its merits and demerits. I am.not the one to tell you what to do.

What if I have studied the humanist and found no merit in it? Can you list out to me the merits of humanism and why I should be a humanist?

You have given me no reason why I should be a humanist: therefore I should not be a humanist, if I were to be an atheist. Therefore nihilism is the only option left?
Re: Religion: An Illusion That Works Well by damogul: 8:27am On Dec 16, 2016
dalaman:

Only one atheist so far as stated that life is meaningless here on NL. If you know of any other state his name and quite where he said it. Life has meaning and the meaning is what ever we chose to ascribe to it.

If out of about 500 atheists, one can say life is meaningless and went as far as wishing death on everyone is that not troubling? He is not even married or probably not yet matured enough for that yet.

Scientifically i could say that out of every 500 atheist one is nihilistic in nature so if we had 1 million atheists then we could have 10,000 nihilistic atheists running wild out there. True ?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religion: An Illusion That Works Well by dalaman: 8:29am On Dec 16, 2016
felixomor:

In other words, anybody who finds meaning to life (including you) is living in a delusion.

because if something doesnt exist universally and i find it personally. Thats a delusion.

So according to the above you and majority of the atheists (as u claim) who find meaning to life live also in the same delusions as religious people.

Abi?
The above remains your own dishonest spin. The truth of the matter is that life has no universal meaning. You CAN NOT show me that life has any universal meaning. I have shown you cleary that life has no universal meaning. The meaning of the life of a muslim is very different from that of a Buddhist and that I'd also very diffrent from.that of a Hindu. Life has no universally accepted meaning. The meaning of life is what ever we chose to make of it and that is the fact and reality. It seems you are more interested in arguing aimlessly and shooting blanks.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religion: An Illusion That Works Well by felixomor: 8:32am On Dec 16, 2016
dalaman:

The above remains your own dishonest spin. The truth of the matter is that life has no universal meaning. You CAN NOT show me that life has any universal meaning. I have shown you cleary that life has no universal meaning. The meaning of the life of a muslim is very different from that of a Buddhist and that I'd also very diffrent from.that of a Hindu. Life has no universally accepted meaning. The meaning of life is what ever we chose to make of it and that is the fact and reality. It seems you are more interested in arguing aimlessly and shooting blanks.

U didnt answer the question.
Dats why U r choosing ad hominem.

because i laid bare your double mouth just within 2 paragraphs.

U find what does not exist universally. If u dont know, thats a delusion.

And u indirectly just said u live in a "delusion" like the religious people u and ur colleagues blast.

Its only a fool who will say man found himself on earth by accident and still claim that life has meaning. In case u dont know

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Religion: An Illusion That Works Well by dalaman: 8:33am On Dec 16, 2016
damogul:

If out of about 500 atheists, one can say life is meaningless and went as far as wishing death on everyone is that not troubling? He is not even married or probably not yet matured enough for that yet.

Scientifically i could say that out of every 500 atheist one is nihilistic in nature so if we had 1 million atheists then we could have 10,000 nihilistic atheists running wild out there. True ?

So what if one out of 500 atheist here is a nihilist? we have end of day Christain enthusiasts that can not wait for the armegedon. They are ernestly praying for it and can't wait for it to come. Islamic terrorist are also there trying to establish the caliphate. You don't seem to have any point. Nilhalism is a philosophy that some people subscribe to. To claim that all atheist are nihilist is a shameless and dishonest and that is what you are shamelessly trying to insinuate.
Re: Religion: An Illusion That Works Well by DoctorAlien(m): 8:36am On Dec 16, 2016
felixomor:

And u indirectly just said u live in a "delusion" like the religious people u and ur colleagues blast.

Its only a fool who will say man found himself on earth by accident and still claim that life has meaning. In case u dont know

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Religion: An Illusion That Works Well by damogul: 8:38am On Dec 16, 2016
dalaman:

So what if one out of 500 atheist here is a nihilist? Dyer all we have end of day Christain enthusiasts that can not wait for the armegedon. They are ernestly praying for it and can't wait for it to come. Islamic terrorist are also there trying to establish the caliphate. You don't seem to have any point. Nilhalism is a philosophy that some people subscribe to. To claim that all atheist are nihilism is a shameless and dishonest and that is what you are shamelessly trying to insinuate.

Why are you getting upset? Do atheists no longet believe in facts? I just gave you true facts about atheism and its links to nihilism and you are screaming blue murder.

Is this discussion about Christians or muslims? So you agree that my statistical presentation is right.
Re: Religion: An Illusion That Works Well by dalaman: 8:40am On Dec 16, 2016
felixomor:

You have no point my friend. I stated a fact that you can't dispute. Life has no universal meaning that os why the meaning of life varies amongst individuals. If you disagree and insist that life has a universal meaning the state the universal meaning and show me how it is acceptable by all human beings.

Life has meaning and the meaning is what ever you chose to make of it. People give their lives meaning for different reasons. You are just begging the question with your porous argument. Even with God life has various meanings to those that subscribe to the God idea because there are various Gods. The meaning of life to a muslim is diffrent from that it a Hindu for example and both of them believe in God. Even with God life has diffrent meanings. So you see, you have no point.

1 Like

Re: Religion: An Illusion That Works Well by hopefulLandlord: 8:40am On Dec 16, 2016
dalaman:

What is the universal meaning of life to all humans? Prove to me that life has the same.meaning to all humans.

this is a very valid question our Christian apologists should answer

1 Like

Re: Religion: An Illusion That Works Well by hopefulLandlord: 8:41am On Dec 16, 2016
randomperson:

Wow, just wow! I knew the man but never knew he doesn't believe in god... So we have Pepe on one side and we have people who instead of looking for solutions to world hunger would say: "God starves children to death to save them from death in the future"

I tire o!
Re: Religion: An Illusion That Works Well by felixomor: 8:42am On Dec 16, 2016
dalaman:

You have no point my friend. I stated a fact that you can't dispute. Life has no universal meaning that os why the meaning of life varies amongst individuals. If you disagree and insist that life has a universal meaning the state the universal meaning and show me how it is acceptable by all human beings.

Life has meaning and the meaning is what ever you chose to make of it. People give their lives meaning for different reasons. You are just begging the question with your porous argument. Even with God life has various meanings to those that subscribe to the God idea because there are various Gods. The meaning of life to a muslim is diffrent from that it a Hindu for example and both of them believe in God. Even with God life has diffrent meanings. So you see, you have no point.

The fact u keep using religious people as ur example even buttresses my point.

U have agreed that you live in a "delusion" like religious people.

grin
Welcome

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Religion: An Illusion That Works Well by damogul: 8:43am On Dec 16, 2016
dalaman:

Dalaman you agreed to the truth about the atheist on NL who is a nihilist and I showed you the statistics which in fact is very troubling. Are you saying nihilism is meaningless? if that is his own reality is his reality a false one?

is my statistical presentation wrong?
Re: Religion: An Illusion That Works Well by hopefulLandlord: 8:44am On Dec 16, 2016
felixomor:

grin
Welcome

amazing way to dodge when the emptiness of your argument is laid bare

the question still remains:

What is the universal meaning of life to all humans? Prove to me that life has the same meaning to all humans.

all you've done so far is dodge
Re: Religion: An Illusion That Works Well by damogul: 8:46am On Dec 16, 2016
Dalaman I await your response
Re: Religion: An Illusion That Works Well by dalaman: 8:46am On Dec 16, 2016
damogul:

Why are you getting upset? Do atheists no longet believe in facts? I just gave you true facts about atheism and its links to nihilism and you are screaming blue murder.

Is this discussion about Christians or muslims? So you agree that my statistical presentation is right.

Upset about what? I am just calling you out on your dishonesty. You tried to say that atheist are nihilist until I challenge you to name one atheist apart from the one we all know about here on nairaland and his statement in support of nihalism but you couldn't, instead you went on some imaginary extrapolation on atheiesm and nihilism saying that so so amount of atheist are nihilist out of some numbers you imagined in your head. grin

1 Like

Re: Religion: An Illusion That Works Well by felixomor: 8:47am On Dec 16, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

amazing way to dodge when the emptiness of your argument is laid bare

the question still remains:

all you've done so far is dodge

U dont even understand what you r writing.
Go and read and see how ur colleague couldnt answer questions.

Before u type rubbish mixed up mentions.

1 Like

Re: Religion: An Illusion That Works Well by dalaman: 8:48am On Dec 16, 2016
felixomor:

grin
Welcome

How do you jump from life has no universal meaning to living a life of delusion like religious people? I am stating facts whIle you are just shooting blanks.
Re: Religion: An Illusion That Works Well by damogul: 8:49am On Dec 16, 2016
dalaman:

Upset about what? I am just calling you out non your dishonesty. You tried to say that atheist are nihilist until I challenge you to name one atheist apart from the one we all know about here on nairaland and his statement in support of nihalism but you couldn't, instead you went on some imaginary extrapolation on atheiesm and nihilism saying that so so amount of atheist are nihilist out of some numbers you imagined in your head. grin

Am I free to say comprehension eludes you?

If we say the atheists on NL are 500 which is even a favourable exaggeration and out of that 500 we can already find 1 who is nihilistic and wishes death on everyone can we now not apply statistics to that?

is his reality a false one? Answer me pls
Re: Religion: An Illusion That Works Well by felixomor: 8:50am On Dec 16, 2016
dalaman:

How do you jump from life has no universal meaning to living a life of delusion like religious people? I am stating facts whIle you are just shooting blanks.

Your 2 contradictions exposed earlier says it.

When u personally find something that doesn't exist universally.

My brother u r deluded.
cool
Re: Religion: An Illusion That Works Well by hopefulLandlord: 8:51am On Dec 16, 2016
felixomor:

U dont even understand what you r writing.
Go and read and see how ur colleague couldnt answer questions.

Before u type rubbish mixed up mentions.

I've read everything

all you Christian apologists have done so far is dishonestly try to force all atheistic individual as nihilistic

he's shot it down, you mention Grizzlybear and that dishonest tactic was shot down too

to answer just one question come dey hard you

keep your dodgicology coming

2 Likes

Re: Religion: An Illusion That Works Well by felixomor: 8:53am On Dec 16, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

I've read everything

all you Christian apologists have done so far is dishonestly try to force all atheistic individual as nihilistic

he's shot it down, you mention Grizzlybear and that dishonest tactic was shot down too

to answer just one question come dey hard you

keep your dodgicology coming

Please answer the question i asked him before the mention u r highlighting.

Or keep quiet.
I dont think u know what dodge means.

1 Like

Re: Religion: An Illusion That Works Well by dalaman: 8:53am On Dec 16, 2016
damogul:

Am I free to say compression eludes you?

If we say the atheists on NL are 500 which is even a favourable exaggeration and out of that 500 we can already find 1 who is nihilistic and wishes death on everyone can we now not apply statistics to that?

is his reality a false one? Answer me pls

I acknowledged in my post earlier that some people are nihilist. Atheism has nothing to do with nihilism. I am an atheist and I am not a nihilist. Only one atheist here subscribe to that philosophy. You on the other hand are shamelessly ting to insinuate that atheist are al nililist until I called you out on that.

1 Like

Re: Religion: An Illusion That Works Well by hopefulLandlord: 8:55am On Dec 16, 2016
felixomor:

Please answer the question i asked him before the mention u r highlighting.

Or keep quiet.
I dont think u know what dodge means.

you no get point

he's already told you life itself has NO meaning

we give it the meaning we desire

now keep shut and answer his own question, or if there's another question of yours I missed, kindly point it out

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Russian Orthodox Church In Amsterdam Announces Split With Moscow Due To Ukraine. / Funmi Aragbaye's Courtesy Visit To Obasanjo (Photo) / Can We Pay Tithes From Money Gotten From MMM???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.