Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,145 members, 7,860,109 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 05:44 AM

Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees (27699 Views)

774,000: 4 PhD, 200 Masters Degrees Holders Apply For FG's N20k Unskilled Job / NDLEA Aptitude Test 2019: Candidates Climb Buildings, Struggle In Kano, Abuja / 62,000 Graduates Struggle For 7,600 Teaching Jobs In Kaduna State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees by Trendirabingi: 1:35pm On Dec 18, 2016
funny enough , this agu is my bone man and friend, i call him smith , we served together in ekiti b4 his movement to the u.k..he told me something about him n a friend and a story appearing in punch,..i thought it was an advertisement of his business as he just returned from lagos..suprised to have seen this thread and him appearing on front page being the case study..was with him on friday....nairaland, nothing wey una no dey do..the solutions is what we are looking for now not the bla bla bla some socalled HRs and co's are blabbling on the write up...private ni, international ko...i haved worked with various contracting companies in ph, with peanuts to offer and termination prone contracts..now i am a business man , a full fledged one..i even come discover say i get the talent deep inside, now i come jam an industrous babe,..God bless a black queen...
The government should stop decieving themselves with their stewpid stories of creating jobs with useless programs, sure-p, n-teach,watever (ngige and im treacherous white bear bear).... , and begin to boost up the enterprenuaral spirit of vibrant youths (reeling out soft loans and grant programmes) who are willing with fire to get busy and create automatic jobs for people who are not even able to forward their education to tertiary level, we are even still talking about jobs for graduates, what about those your mates who didnt even write jamb.? the government from ab-initio has been insensitive and useless to the nigerian youth..its a shithole bro,..only a few who have been able to one way or the other find themselves in an office or something, thinks its alright (yet many of them know its not funny out there)....Tony elumelu is one man i would love to commend..his the only one perfectly doing one thing a stewpid government with all the resources avalialable for them to loot, has not found the the brain to take very serious at all times..except for their few enterprenuership programmes, where they stipulate requirements for loans that could be very discouraging to most nigerian youths willing to grow their very lucrative businesses..the stewpid government of nigeria has to reel out enough enteprenueral programmes that can grow industries across the federation and create jobs..shine the light and let the youths find their way..but they would rather loot the money through fake expenditures and budget padding,.(the most annoying is that, it is crappy old men that are the culprits here)..government can find ways for creation of industries across the federation,make available perfect feasibilties for investors (nepa howfar?), that could harness the bountiful resources we have in its excesses so we could be one of the largest exporters of goods and services across the world, naturally creating jobs on autopiloted mode, that people would begin to chose the one they like to do,..nigerian youths are willing and creative,..i have seen that with my eyes,..nobody can tell me nonsense..rather people we as educated youths should be ashamed of is those old jobless money devouring hags in government with no thinking brain cells but peachant to steal for staching....i have even told that my friend agu, that if i get what i want soon, i should be able to loan him 1mill to boost his business, he could be paying back as his business balances..the guy is good and i have seen his product , shoes and pamz..told him to prepare one for my chic the last time we met.....never seen those styles b4....he has been doing it since service days....

6 Likes

Re: Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees by Playa0ne: 1:39pm On Dec 18, 2016
nani212:
What Nigeria needs now is for all these people that got a m.sc or mba abroad to get creative based on their exposure. You cant stay in uk, u.s, canada for at least a year and say you didn't pick up something that can better the life of Nigerians. They should be the ones creating employment. I know some people will argue that they don't have capital to set up a business. If u can spend 6 million to get a m.sc or mba, you can also source for 2 or 3 million naira to better your life and that of Nigerians.

And who says we have not learned a thing or two? The problem is not capital..at least for me, as it stands now I have a credit limit of $3k monthly at 0% interest, so what stops me from mobilizing this for investment monthly? the environment in Nigeria! ...with the way things are now in Nigeria, I cannot invest my hard earned money...omo the environment is just too risky and volatile. How do you enforce contracts in Nigeria, protect your property/investment, get supply of energy for your business e.t.c? Some things need to be put in place first. I can easily and will be very happy to create a business back home and employ at least 10 Nigerians if things improve back home...I know a few more like me who are willing to do same.

3 Likes

Re: Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees by djlaqua91(m): 1:44pm On Dec 18, 2016
This is simple. NEVER GO TO UK FOR MSC OR PHD. It's overrated!

Better go to USA, CANADA, GERMANY, SCANDINAVIA etc. where you can be retained after studying. UK will collect your heavy money and chase you out after a year or 18 months. Go to where you can stay at least 2 years and progress.

Also learn skills and foreign languages if you want to be retained overseas.

#TeamHustle2017

4 Likes

Re: Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees by tdayof(m): 1:49pm On Dec 18, 2016
erico2k2:

i will disagree with you on this one,Them lot over there can apply for a Job in Canada, Oz,Europe and if they have the skill set which they don't at the moment,the might be invited for an interview,well can you say the same for teh cert from UNIBEN?

What m trying to say is a foreign degree doesn't guarantee your capability. Most students tend to have this issue of let me just get the certificate then I can start hustling whatever skill I need later on.

They take certificates as a stepping stone.
Re: Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees by juman(m): 1:49pm On Dec 18, 2016
A sensible government would help competent educational stakeholders to start many universities in nigeria.
Re: Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees by Playa0ne: 1:52pm On Dec 18, 2016
juman:
A sensible government would help competent educational stakeholders to start many universities in nigeria.

Is this the priority? What would happen to the existing universities that are substandard? You want them to create more substandard schools?
Re: Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees by 9JAgosurvive: 1:52pm On Dec 18, 2016
This article makes no sense, so inaccurate void of any real statistics, or indeapt research but just based on one or two interviews.

Seriously it's guess work,at its best something Nigerian media and journalist do so well, and why am I not surprised most are from this same faulty and patched educational system we chose to run.

As at today there's no official figure locally of how many Nigerians school overseas and neither do they have official figures of how many Nigerians graduates leave private Universities, do the national services and are job hunting - so how do they come about the conclusion that employers prefer private University graduates? just as I thought guess work? by taking an example of one situation from one HR manager of an unknown and unnamed company and use that to conclude industry wide.

Even off the head, anyone knows that a serious company filling a graduate postion searches for who is best suited for the job, not who's necessarily the cheapest to employ.

It's just ridiculous to say private University graduate are cheap in the labour market hence they are preferred, I would take that as an insult if I graduated or am currently studying at a local private University or polytechnic .

That said, might I add that schooling overseas is not just to seek, a prestigious degree from a country obviously with a better managed educational system, it's also to learn cross culture, see the world from a different perspective - be more forward thinking and questions every answer or even existing theories as against the learned culture of regurgitation which our public educational system shamefully still practice.

It's a cultural experience, in meeting new people from all over the world who come to study at these melting pots of educational excellence - incase the writer of this punch news paper article don't know, education, just like technology is an export, and the sooner we realise that the better for Nigeria , because say all you want, it's only human for people who can afford it to seek better and well managed institutions - even small Ghana realises this now Nigerians go in droves to study there and no wonder one of the top 10 UK University set up a campus in Ghana , but no not Nigeria we focus on all the useless and non value adding arguments: like this punch articles so ignorantly display.

China is way, way advanced educationally and technologically than Nigeria, yet for some reason chinese students studying in the UK, America, Canada and Europe is a hundred times more than Nigerians studying overseas, do you think the Chinese government is foolish for allowing this?

I have no quams with Nigerian studying all over the world, the only problem is the government, and policy makers fail to see how to strategically use this vast skills, and knowledge base and ensure Nigeria get the most of what ever value these graduate bring into the systems, and the important networks built in the country where they studied.

If our young people who want to be engineers study in the same place our so called foreign "expart" engineers studied it's only a matter of time, they will replace all the expart working in Nigeria - if our educators and researchers study and research in the best parts of the world offering the best education - it's only a matter of time our own educational system will get better, and better and one day be at par with whats obtained overseas - so much so, that for us as a country education now becomes an export - and if any Nigerian is schooling overseas it won't be because of a lack of quality and prestige, but maybe just for the experience nothing more nothing less.

I consult in the education sector and this is my humble stance :except we get strategic, intentional and purposeful about everything education be it's received locally or internationally, we won't really take flight as a nation.

I welcome intelligent critic or support of my stance.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees by nani212(m): 1:59pm On Dec 18, 2016
Playa0ne:

And who says we have not learned a thing or two? The problem is not capital..at least for me, as it stands now I have a credit limit of $3k monthly at 0% interest, so what stops me from mobilizing this for investment monthly? the environment in Nigeria! ...with the way things are now in Nigeria, I cannot invest my hard earned money...omo the environment is just too risky and volatile. How do you enforce contracts in Nigeria, protect your property/investment, get supply of energy for your business e.t.c? Some things need to be put in place first. I can easily and will be very happy to create a business back home and employ at least 10 Nigerians if things improve back home...I know a few more like me who are willing to do same.
What you said is right but businesses are springing up daily here. People are making money here from new businesses. Business is all about hardwork and risks. If you have the resources, kindly think of what you can do for your country and Nigerians too.
Re: Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees by tunesoft(m): 2:00pm On Dec 18, 2016
Why he come back? I trust sharp guys....they for kukuma stay dere hustle and find way.....no time
Re: Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees by BusinessAnalyst: 2:01pm On Dec 18, 2016
AdisaOwala:

Another Ignorant Fellow on the verge of wasting millions of Naira!!

Guy - The possibility of relocating permanently should be the reason for travelling abroad to obtain a foreign degree. If you think a Foreign Certificate still has the same prestige in Nigeria as before, you are on a loooooooong thing.
[s]
AdisaOwala:

Guy - The possibility of relocating permanently should be the reason for travelling abroad to obtain a foreign degree. If you think a Foreign Certificate still has the same prestige in Nigeria as before, you are on a loooooooong thing.
[/s]
AdisaOwala:

Guy, shrove that to your a.ss please. If you are not affluent enough to afford it don't deceive others that crave for better education.
Re: Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees by ahmg001(m): 2:08pm On Dec 18, 2016
If a parent cud afford skul fees of 55m in a foreign university, I honestly dnt fink dt parent sud find it difficult financially to set up d child in order to be an entrepreneur rada Dan b a job seeker.my opinion though

1 Like

Re: Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees by Playa0ne: 2:14pm On Dec 18, 2016
nani212:
What you said is right but businesses are springing up daily here. People are making money here from new businesses. Business is all about hardwork and risks. If you have the resources, kindly think of what you can do for your country and Nigerians too.

I would be stupid to risk my hard earned resources and also risk my credit line by investing in Nigeria with the present state of things when I have an alternative. I will just keep living my live till the coast is clear...no be my hustle them go scatter. The present level of risk in Nigeria is not normal...its not the kind we were taught about in business classes...its absurd. People investing in Nigeria daily are persons who have no choice or people who control the instruments of states..I am neither.

10 Likes

Re: Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees by juman(m): 2:20pm On Dec 18, 2016
Playa0ne:

Is this the priority? What would happen to the existing universities that are substandard? You want them to create more substandard schools?

So what is the solution to several numbers of our people studying outside the country.
Re: Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees by nani212(m): 2:22pm On Dec 18, 2016
Playa0ne:

I would be stupid to rick my hard earned resources and also risk my credit line by investing in Nigeria with the present state of thing, when I have an alternative. I will just keep living my live till the coast is clear...no be my hustle them go scatter. The present level of risk in Nigeria is not normal...its not the kind we were thought about in business classes...its absurd. People investing in Nigeria daily are persons who have no choice or people who control the instruments of states..I am neither.
Just wondering how Nigeria will get better if we all shy away from investing in Nigeria. I understand what you are saying but investing in other countries only make those countries better while Nigeria rots away. I'm into small business in Nigeria and despite the way the economy is, I have no regrets. Together we can all move Nigeria forward.
Re: Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees by Playa0ne: 2:22pm On Dec 18, 2016
juman:

So what is the solution to millions of our people studying outside the country.

Upgrade what we have presently to world standard before thinking of building new Universities that would become like the rest. Take a look at NDU and the new universities that were commissioned by GEJ, are they not even worse than the already existing ones?
Re: Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees by Timossa(m): 2:26pm On Dec 18, 2016
Yes! You are right. Learning a foreign language is very crucial. Anyways, I can teach you Spanish in case you want to learn and don't hesitate to contact me via my signature, my email is there.

Best regards.

djlaqua91:
This is simple. NEVER GO TO UK FOR MSC OR PHD. It's overrated!

Better go to USA, CANADA, GERMANY, SCANDINAVIA etc. where you can be retained after studying. UK will collect your heavy money and chase you out after a year or 18 months. Go to where you can stay at least 2 years and progress.

Also learn skills and foreign languages if you want to be retained overseas.

#TeamHustle2017

1 Like

Re: Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees by Playa0ne: 2:27pm On Dec 18, 2016
nani212:
Just wondering how Nigeria will get better if we all shy away from investing in Nigeria. I understand what you are saying but investing in other countries only make those countries better while Nigeria rots away. I'm into small business in Nigeria and despite the way the economy is, I have no regrets. Together we can all move Nigeria forward.

If the states in Nigeria becomes truly Federal, were each states dictates and governs what happens within its environs and stops depending on some allocation from oil or resources from other regions, I would rush down to invest in Nigeria. State governments would protect their territories and set enabling and enforceable laws then, so that investments can thrive and be taxed...till then....

1 Like

Re: Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees by ChiSun27(m): 2:27pm On Dec 18, 2016
adenuga360:
My advise for Nigerians who wish to study abroad is to go to top schools and do courses with good market value. Like the popular proverb If you want to eat frog, make sure you eat the biggest.

Thank you very much...you spoke what I have in mind.

1 Like

Re: Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees by Ugosample(m): 2:29pm On Dec 18, 2016
9JAgosurvive:
This article makes no sense, so inaccurate void of any real statistics, or indeapt research but just based on one or two interviews.

Seriously it's guess work,at its best something Nigerian media and journalist do so well, and why am I not surprised most are from this same faulty and patched educational system we chose to run.

As at today there's no official figure locally of how many Nigerians school overseas and neither do they have official figures of how many Nigerians graduates leave private Universities, do the national services and are job hunting - so how do they come about the conclusion that employers prefer private University graduates? just as I thought guess work? by taking an example of one situation from one HR manager of an unknown and unnamed company and use that to conclude industry wide.

Even off the head, anyone knows that a serious company filling a graduate postion searches for who is best suited for the job, not who's necessarily the cheapest to employ.

It's just ridiculous to say private University graduate are cheap in the labour market hence they are preferred, I would take that as an insult if I graduated or am currently studying at a local private University or polytechnic .

That said, might I add that schooling overseas is not just to seek, a prestigious degree from a country obviously with a better managed educational system, it's also to learn cross culture, see the world from a different perspective - be more forward thinking and questions every answer or even existing theories as against the learned culture of regurgitation which our public educational system shamefully still practice.

It's a cultural experience, in meeting new people from all over the world who come to study at these melting pots of educational excellence - incase the writer of this punch news paper article don't know, education, just like technology is an export, and the sooner we realise that the better for Nigeria , because say all you want, it's only human for people who can afford it to seek better and well managed institutions - even small Ghana realises this now Nigerians go in droves to study there and no wonder one of the top 10 UK University set up a campus in Ghana , but no not Nigeria we focus on all the useless and non value adding arguments: like this punch articles so ignorantly display.

China is way, way advanced educationally and technologically than Nigeria, yet for some reason chinese students studying in the UK, America, Canada and Europe is a hundred times more than Nigerians studying overseas, do you think the Chinese government is foolish for allowing this?

I have no quams with Nigerian studying all over the world, the only problem is the government, and policy makers fail to see how to strategically use this vast skills, and knowledge base and ensure Nigeria get the most of what ever value these graduate bring into the systems, and the important networks built in the country where they studied.

If our young people who want to be engineers study in the same place our so called foreign "expart" engineers studied it's only a matter of time, they will replace all the expart working in Nigeria - if our educators and researchers study and research in the best parts of the world offering the best education - it's only a matter of time our own educational system will get better, and better and one day be at par with whats obtained overseas - so much so, that for us as a country education now becomes an export - and if any Nigerian is schooling overseas it won't be because of a lack of quality and prestige, but maybe just for the experience nothing more nothing less.

I consult in the education sector and this is my humble stance :except we get strategic, intentional and purposeful about everything education be it's received locally or internationally, we won't really take flight as a nation.

I welcome intelligent critic or support of my stance.

God will bless both you and the people who invested in your education.

Chaishocked See as one post dey make mad sense.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees by vislabraye(m): 2:31pm On Dec 18, 2016
adenuga360:
My advise for Nigerians who wish to study abroad is to go to top schools and do courses with good market value. Like the popular proverb If you want to eat frog, make sure you eat the biggest.

On point. Just imagine you studied software engineering outside or a solid IT/engineering course, or even statistics. It would be a different story !

1 Like

Re: Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees by juman(m): 2:35pm On Dec 18, 2016
Playa0ne:

Upgrade what we have presently to world standard before thinking of building new Universities that would become like the rest. Take a look at NDU and the new universities that were commissioned by GEJ, are they not even worse than the already existing ones?

If the government help the competent educational stakeholders by borrowing them money to expand their universities and start new universities, it would go a long way put things in order.

1 Like

Re: Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees by oyetpel(m): 2:43pm On Dec 18, 2016
Brother Agu is a fool
Re: Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees by mowapa(m): 2:47pm On Dec 18, 2016
Fidelismaria:

I tire ooo

Let dem stay dere nd apply for jobs

But dem mumu go dey run back home

Nonsense

It's obvious that most do not have the permit to stay beyond their school visa, talk less of having work permit.
Re: Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees by mekuso89(m): 2:57pm On Dec 18, 2016
Timossa:
Jajaja... I laugh in Spanish, you are very funny. You can still give the peck. I think I am still single now, hmmm.... Searching? Yes! NO! YES!!! Nevermind jare...

lol
Re: Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees by DICKtator: 3:10pm On Dec 18, 2016
junnyjake:
Environmental Sustainability??

In Nigeria?

Why would one go out there spend millions to acquire a masters degree in a discipline like that and hoping to secure a job in Nigeria where such practices are uncommon?

If it was I.T, I would have understood, but environmental sustainability? Bros Agu you self no reason am well now.

You are not totally right.

The degree is very relevant to the oil and gas industry. Even healthcare ,some NGOs and government.

His target employers should be the aforementioned (not limited to, though)

grin grin grin grin
Re: Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees by herald9: 3:12pm On Dec 18, 2016
You school in a temperate region and want to use the certificate to work in the tropics as an environmental manager?

It doesn't correlate na, cause you have to understand a particular environment first, before you can manage it.
Cause I'm sure your curriculum was scripted around the UK environment, meanwhile Nigeria is in the tropics.

So Sir, you should go back there or find one banking job and apply.
Re: Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees by Nobody: 3:16pm On Dec 18, 2016
Trendirabingi:
funny enough , this agu is my bone man and friend, i call him smith , we served together in ekiti b4 his movement to the u.k..he told me something about him n a friend and a story appearing in punch,..i thought it was an advertisement of his business as he just returned from lagos..suprised to have seen this thread and him appearing on front page being the case study..was with him on friday....nairaland, nothing wey una no dey do..the solutions is what we are looking for now not the bla bla bla some socalled HRs and co's are blabbling on the write up...private ni, international ko...i haved worked with various contracting companies in ph, with peanuts to offer and termination prone contracts..now i am a business man , a full fledged one..i even come discover say i get the talent deep inside, now i come jam an industrous babe,..God bless a black queen...
The government should stop decieving themselves with their stewpid stories of creating jobs with useless programs, sure-p, n-teach, (ngige and im tracherous white bear bear).... watever and begin to boost up the enterprenuaral spirit of vibrant youths (reeling out soft loans and grant programmes) who are willing with fire to get busy and create automatic jobs for people who are not even able to forward their education to tertiary level, we are even still taking about jobs for graduates, what about those your mates who didnt even write jamb.? the government from ab-initio has been insensitive and useless to the nigerian youth..its a shithole bro,..only a few who have been able to one way or the other find their selves in an office or something thinks its alright (yet many of them know its not funny out there)....Tony eleumelu is one man i would love to commend..his the only one perfectly doing one thing a stewpid government with all the resources avalailable for them to loot, has not found the the brain to take very serious at this time..except for their few enterprenuership programmes, where they stipulate requirements for loans that could be very discouraging to most nigerian youths willing to grow their very lucrative business..the stewpid government of nigeria has to reel out enough enteprenueral programmes that can grow industries across the federation and create jobs..shine the light and let the youths find their way..but they would rather loot the money through fake expenditures and budget padding,...government can find way for creation of industries across the federation that could harness the bountiful resources we have in its excesses so we could be one of the largest exporters of goods and services across the world, naturally creating jobs on autopiloted mode, that people would begin to chose the one like to do,..nigerian youths a willing and creative,..i have seen that with my eyes,..nobody can tell me nonsense..rather people we as educated youths should be ashamed of is this old jobless money devouring hags in government with no thinking brain cells but peachant to steal for staching....i have even told that my friend agu, that if i get what i want soon, i should be able to loan him 1mill to boost his business, he could be paying back as his business balances..the guy is good and i have seen his product , shoes and palmz..told him to prepare one for my chic the last time we met.....never seen those styles b4....he has been doing it since service days....

I would advice you not to loan that your friend 1million naira. he is not entrepreneur minded he was forced. how will you invest 6mil naira. without having a clear plan on how to recoup the money spent except he never see that education as an investment.
Re: Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees by Nobody: 3:20pm On Dec 18, 2016
Playa0ne:

your point are not genuine enough not to invest back home. dangote knows all these he strategize and that is why he is the most efficient cement producer in the world better than all his predecessor.
Re: Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees by Nobody: 3:29pm On Dec 18, 2016
people going abroad to study environmental sustainability, political science, zoology etc and hope to get a job in Nigeria.
Re: Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees by dasparrow: 3:30pm On Dec 18, 2016
@Post

I laugh when I hear Nigerians talk about starting a business in Nigeria, a country were things like power supply and water is still scarce in many places. Since I moved back to Nigeria, I have watched how bulldozer will show up at one's shop/business and destroy everything in a matter of minutes without any forewarning. Nigeria does not keep an active database where people can check to see whether a property was built on a piece of land illegally. After paying the rent for the shop, one day, it gets torn down with the twinkle of an eye. Look at what happened to a business called Nuli Juice in Lagos. The young lady who owned the business had a vision and invested lots of money into the business just for it to be demolished with no notice given before hand. I have attached pictures of the business in question. Now imagine the many businesses we do not get to hear about that get demolished everyday with no advance warning and all that investment money down the drain. Even large corporations are running away from Nigeria because the ease of doing business in Nigeria is not there. The environment is not conducive except for very hardened people.

I would definitely become an entrepreneur but not in Nigeria. One has to be extremely aggressive in personality to succeed in Nigeria. It is no wonder life expectancy in Nigeria is so low - a measly 52 years - when other countries have a life expectancy rate of 80 years and above. I am not trying to die before my time. I can only succeed as an entrepreneur in a conducive environment where there is structure, law and order. I have no strength to start going crazy when NEPA again does not give light once dry season comes in January and fuel marketers go on strike thereby causing artificial fuel scarcity and plunging people into darkness.

So many businesses have left Nigeria and moved to Ghana and other neighboring African countries because Nigeria's government policies do not favor small and medium business owners. Not everyone has the strength and tenacity to survive as an entrepreneur in a rugged terrain like Nigeria where common electricity is not even available most times. Some government officials will keep harassing business owners for bribe and what have you. I am leaving Nigeria again soon God willing because I yearn to live long in a sane clime where access to uninterrupted power supply and water is a piece of cake and government policies favor business owners.

As for those who studied abroad, don't make the mistake of coming back to Nigeria. That will be the biggest mistake you will make except of course your father/mother happens to be a politician or successful pastor of a mega church. I don talk my own.

6 Likes

Re: Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees by dasparrow: 3:37pm On Dec 18, 2016
WinningSun:

your point are not genuine enough not to invest back home. dangote knows all these he strategize and that is why he is the most efficient cement producer in the world better than all his predecessor.

Actually his point is genuine. If you don't understand the Nigerian terrain and the way things work in Nigeria especially when you have spent a good chunk of your adult life in a first world country where things actually work, then you will just be flushing money down the drain opening a business in Nigeria. Even Nigerians who have never left the shores of Nigeria have had their businesses folding up everyday. Is it everyone who ventures into entrepreneurship that succeeds? Do you think it is everyone out there who possess the skills needed to become a successful entrepreneur or business owner? Some people do better working for others and should not be condemned. Even foreign investors are running away from Nigeria so what are we saying?

3 Likes

Re: Returnee Graduates Struggle As Employers Snub Foreign Degrees by Playa0ne: 3:40pm On Dec 18, 2016
WinningSun:

LOL...Your comment makes me laugh out very loud. Its either you grossly over estimate me or you are very naive. Do you know Dangotes antecedents or how and when he started out? for your info Dangote controls the instruments of states not just in Nigeria but in almost all African countries. The likes of Dangote thrive in corruption, chaos and backwardness, though they would not like a total anarchy, but a corrupt and easily bendable institutions is what they love, they have far too much advantage over existing and prospective competitors. His likes can just wake up one morning and pay hoodlums to set fire on your business, tell me what will you do?

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

No National I.D , No Voters Card. No Int'l Passport. How Do I Apply For FCS Job? / Should I Accept A Federal Government Job Or Travel Over Seas? / Federal Civil Service Commission Aptitude Test for Delta State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.