Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,835 members, 7,820,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:45 AM

Does Keeping Long Hair (afro) Really Makes Guys Slim? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Does Keeping Long Hair (afro) Really Makes Guys Slim? (4778 Views)

How To Grow Long Hair With Egg In One Day / Need A Real Long Hair?then Get In Here / Treat Hair Breakage And Get Your Desire Beauty Long Hair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Keeping Long Hair (afro) Really Makes Guys Slim? by teejaypee: 9:53am On Dec 20, 2016
I used Google and couldn't find anything concerning this.

I happen to be blessed with long hair and my hair grows fast .

Anytime I try to keep the hair, people try to discourage me, claiming that it would make me slimmer (I'm naturally slim).

So guys, I would like to hear from y'all if this is true and has been proven or just a myth.

Thanks

1 Share

Re: Does Keeping Long Hair (afro) Really Makes Guys Slim? by teejaypee: 12:59pm On Dec 20, 2016
Everybody viewing and no comment angry
Re: Does Keeping Long Hair (afro) Really Makes Guys Slim? by mitchmang(m): 10:51pm On Dec 21, 2016
Yes! It will eat from you body nutrients while is growing fuller, but if u take care of ur hair properly and eat a balance diet, it will only steal from your extra nutrients hereby it won't be noticeable cos the nutrients in your body fuels the hair follicles hereby making it to grow, so the hair steals from ur body nutrients that's y u will look slim... so if u want to have ur meal eat a large meal, ur hair will feed from extra meal and it won't affect ur body weight
Re: Does Keeping Long Hair (afro) Really Makes Guys Slim? by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:10pm On Dec 22, 2016
Interesting logic @Mitchmang.... smiley

But uhmmm... I'm afraid I have to disagree with your explanation.

Have you taken into account the cases of hypertrichosis/hirsutism?? Why don't we see cases of "body shrinking" or "weight loss/body weight reduction" due to excessive hair growth bodily in these cases? smiley

Are you saying the body weight/type (be it mesomorph, ectomorph and endomorph) of these individuals is down majorly to how much nutrients is drawn or "stolen" by the "extra" hair grown in addition to the full hair grown on their scalp? Is that the science concept you stand for here too?

I am naturally a mesomorph. I got a slim figure.... It matters not how much I eat.... I can never be fat. And my hair grows really fast and I even keep an Afro sometimes. smiley Sometimes I fast (stay off food) but my full hair does not affect my body weight. If I grow lean at any time, it's down to the stress I subject myself to most times in my studies and work NOT MY HAIR GROWTH ON MY SCALP.

I also have a brother who's more of a meso-endomorph whose hair grows very fast and he sometimes doesn't eat as much but he keeps his shape.

The large meal "balanced diet" concept you mentioned is good and will always contribute to hair growth from the follicles and other bodily functions BUT it gives extra nutrients which will always be first consumed/utilised by your brain and not necessarily your hair follicles.

So there's nothing like "stealing" from one's body nutrients by hair follicles. The foliicles get their normal nutrients supply if one feeds well or just about as normal as one can.

Till date, I know of no other part of the human body that consumes more nutrients than the brain (but yes of course we have the blood-brain barrier which permits, with respect to just proteins, some specific protein molecules/compounds into the brain's ECF).

Do you also know that when your body's "normal" nutrient supply is a little depleted, your brain actually turn to ketone bodies for energy and more?? Only the brain does this on a "major level"... NOT YOUR HAIR FOLLICLES. So the concept of follicles giving off full hair via feeding off "extra" nutrients is not exactly the picture. Interesting logical explanatory attempt but it's not exactly it. smiley

So uhmmm... @Teejaypee.... I gotta tell ya to ignore the talks of "keeping afro" (or a full hair) makes you slimmer than usual. It's more like a science myth. So please, feel free to look good, keep your afro rocking and decent and uhmm..... Just take care smiley wink

2 Likes

Re: Does Keeping Long Hair (afro) Really Makes Guys Slim? by Nobody: 7:34am On Dec 23, 2016
OP, there's no correlation between having long hair and being slim.
Re: Does Keeping Long Hair (afro) Really Makes Guys Slim? by teejaypee: 5:16pm On Dec 23, 2016
NotOfThis:
OP, there's no correlation between having long hair and being slim.

I actually think so too but I've heard that shii from a Lotta people
Re: Does Keeping Long Hair (afro) Really Makes Guys Slim? by teejaypee: 5:20pm On Dec 23, 2016
Thanks for that explanation@ thesupernerd
Re: Does Keeping Long Hair (afro) Really Makes Guys Slim? by Nobody: 4:05am On Dec 26, 2016
teejaypee:

I actually think so too but I've heard that shii from a Lotta people
It's definitely not true. smiley

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Is It Everytime Of Missing Of Period In Female Mean Pregnancy? / A Case Of Lassa Fever Confirmed In Plateau State / Please, Which Fertility Drug Is Suitable For Me?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.