Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,717 members, 7,816,954 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:04 PM

I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting (11714 Views)

Lagos Stops Promotion Based On Career Progression, Reveals New Criterion (MUST R / 4 Tough Calls To Make On Career Growth / Top Management Consulting Firms In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by olash: 8:06am On Dec 22, 2016
I know a doctor who switch career to building, now he is thinking about medical software solutions.
There is noting impossible, all it takes is determination. I studied Statistics in university now I am a certified Network Engineer.

Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by munezo(m): 8:09am On Dec 22, 2016
Go look for Dr. Noel Akpata too and get counsel from him. Find him on facebook with Noel Akpata

1 Like

Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by abdeiz(m): 8:11am On Dec 22, 2016
[Time wait for no man! I am sure you are over 20 (that was the age I graduated from the then Unife). I hear you say it is never too late? Yes you are right, but you carry a big advantage with age on your side. For instance, you graduate at age 31 with a first class, you are most likely not going to get work at the IOCs, banks, multi-nationals etc. Why? At that age, Many of your age mates working there are already having about 8 years experience. There you are with a 1st class at 31 without a single day experience.
Good luck to you[/quote]
Wow this really hit me hard, I just finished school and have no sort of desire in my imposed Field of study, so I started thinking about going to school and hitting a first class degree, but now I csn we that I don't need to do that, I should instead reignite my passion for my first degree and develop more on it by adding a few more professional certifications.
what a blessing to stumble upon this thread.
Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by profdot(m): 8:16am On Dec 22, 2016
Hello doc. I do understand your plight as I have been there too. I was frustrated with medical practice in Nigeria that I resigned from my work as a medical officer once.
My advice for you:
1. I would advise you to practice for a year or two as a medical officer, so as to to obtain your permanent license and thereby securing your future in case the other route does not work out well for you.
2. If you could afford studying outside the country for either MBA or MHA, that would be a good idea. If you could not afford that, there are lots of management certification courses here in Nigeria too especially Lagos. You just have to search for those courses.
3. You could also register for MPH in health management or MHA in Nigerian universities as well. I know other collegues that have chosen that route as well.

However, I would like to ask you which area of management are you considering? Where would like to specialize? Doctors can be accepted into any field as they believed that you are smart.

6 Likes

Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by samsam2019: 9:02am On Dec 22, 2016
okanga42:
Ask holy spirit he will Guide u
you're mentally lazy
Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by ibkbisi: 9:14am On Dec 22, 2016
I studied Computer Sc (HND, Nigeria), Information Tech(BSc, UK) and MSc Business Analysis and Consulting(UK).

My opinion: I decided to study BAC based on my love for crunching numbers /Analysis and helping SMEs and Startups grow, my belief was that I could make an impact in Nigeria. Unfortunately, Nigeria has not really gotten that level; you spend more time convincing orgs and people on why they need your services than actually getting the job done.

Just like you I get bored easily; as much as you love excellence, you actually need to be consistent.

Howbeit, for you to succeed in Nigeria as a Management Consultant, you need to know the right people and be an excellent Salesman.
I'll advice you complete your medical program as this gives you more leverage to consult in the Health sector. While doing this, find mentors in the Business and Management Consulting sectors, take free Analytical, Strategy and management courses on Coursera, learn french, Spanish, German or Mandarin, acquire few years of work experience in your field , intern for a few months in a consulting firm, get a MBA in a prestigious school , network, network and network. . .

PROs: As a management consultant, you get to work on different projects, meet celebrities/top-notch Managers, explore the world, get very RICH and have fun.

CONs: sleep deprivation, the higher you go ---less family time, might have to do the unthinkable to get or keep stupid clients happy (Imagine you're a marketer).

Good-luck

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by Auditorsplace: 9:23am On Dec 22, 2016
KayTheHuman:
I just turned 26 and I'm completing my Housemanship (Internship) in less than a month.
Since I resumed Clinical years (400 Lvl and Up) in Medical School, I had lost my enthusiasm for Medicine and somehow knew that being excellent at Clinical practice was going to be difficult for me.
I graduated with average grades, and in the course of my internship, I've just been an average doctor.
I know I can easily get by with private practice as a Medical Officer, and make enough to live a basic life but living an exceptional life would be hard in Medicine.
I keep talking about being exceptional because that's the kind of life I want. I had all distinction in my O Levels, and was also in top 10 students in my class before the Clinical years.
I was involved in a number of extracurricular activities in school (from Digital Technology Projects to NGOs, etc.) some of which had significant national impact.

I had thought about options like starting a Technology Startup, or doing a Post-Graduate Degree in the Basic Medical Sciences.
But I've noticed that I like taking on big and ambitious projects, and I also easily get bored.(I don't enjoy working on a project for more than 6 months). This makes technology startup difficult, and a post graduate degree in Nigeria might also not be exciting enough to hold my attention.

I started considering Management Consulting after watching tons of McKinsey, Bain & BCG videos on youtube. It feels like a sweet spot between liking to improve your intellectual vitality, working on big ambitious projects that you can immediately start seeing the impact, and being boredom proof since there would be multiple projects at once. I've also not been satisfied with my education in Nigeria so far and I'm hoping to take an MBA top 5 Business School. Management Consulting seems like a reasonable stepping stone to that.

So overall, I'm wondering;
How easy would it be to get into consulting with an average Academic Record?
What other areas of assessment can I improve to increase my chances of getting an offer?
What are the peculiarities of Management Consulting in Nigeria? How are things different from the 'oyinbo' videos I've been watching on youtube?
What are the salaries like? What salaries can I expect as a Business Analyst?

I"ll appreciate your advice.
Thanks.

What aspect of Management Consulting do you want to go into? You did not waste your five or six years in Medical school. The are Medical Doctors who are business managers. I know Doctors manage HMOs and the likes. So you have a career path already. I will advise you start practising your profession as a Doctor, start studying for MBA and have your focus on being a corporate doctor rather than an "hospital" doctor. Search for vacancies that are in line with your career path and stay focused. You will get there. You can also follow Doctors who are on that path on LinkedIn. It will help.

2 Likes

Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by SmartyPants(m): 9:31am On Dec 22, 2016
divicode:
While there is nothing really wrong with career change, infact I see it at as plus for your career- I think you need to engage in soul searching before the change!
1. It seems to me you might have wasted about 4 years of your life in the medical school. My little plea and advise on this is that you finish you medical school before the switch - you have to give everything it takes to graduate from medical school
2. Please note that the grass is always looking green outside. Note the word "looking". I am a fellowship member of a leading professional body in Nigeria, sometime I still wished I have read some other courses. The people at the other side always think that same way too. It is always looking greener the other side.
3. Finishing medical school will afford you the opportunity to be multi-skilled. That is obviously a combo! The best set of staff in IOCs are the ones with multi-skulking abilities
4. Time wait for no man! I am sure you are over 20 (that was the age I graduated from the then Unife). I hear you say it is never too late? Yes you are right, but you carry a big advantage with age on your side. For instance, you graduate at age 31 with a first class, you are most likely not going to get work at the IOCs, banks, multi-nationals etc. Why? At that age, Many of your age mates working there are already having about 8 years experience. There you are with a 1st class at 31 without a single day experience
5. If your mind is totally out of medical school and will end up wasting your time and life, make the switch today, you still have many more years ahead of you.
Good luck to you

Would it have been too much for yoy to read his post and grasp the simple answers you seek such as the fact that he is 26 and out of med school already?

Be quick to listen, slow to speak!

2 Likes

Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by Longman6(m): 9:40am On Dec 22, 2016
KayTheHuman:
I just turned 26 and I'm completing my Housemanship (Internship) in less than a month.
Since I resumed Clinical years (400 Lvl and Up) in Medical School, I had lost my enthusiasm for Medicine and somehow knew that being excellent at Clinical practice was going to be difficult for me.
I graduated with average grades, and in the course of my internship, I've just been an average doctor.
I know I can easily get by with private practice as a Medical Officer, and make enough to live a basic life but living an exceptional life would be hard in Medicine.
I keep talking about being exceptional because that's the kind of life I want. I had all distinction in my O Levels, and was also in top 10 students in my class before the Clinical years.
I was involved in a number of extracurricular activities in school (from Digital Technology Projects to NGOs, etc.) some of which had significant national impact.

I had thought about options like starting a Technology Startup, or doing a Post-Graduate Degree in the Basic Medical Sciences.
But I've noticed that I like taking on big and ambitious projects, and I also easily get bored.(I don't enjoy working on a project for more than 6 months). This makes technology startup difficult, and a post graduate degree in Nigeria might also not be exciting enough to hold my attention.

I started considering Management Consulting after watching tons of McKinsey, Bain & BCG videos on youtube. It feels like a sweet spot between liking to improve your intellectual vitality, working on big ambitious projects that you can immediately start seeing the impact, and being boredom proof since there would be multiple projects at once. I've also not been satisfied with my education in Nigeria so far and I'm hoping to take an MBA top 5 Business School. Management Consulting seems like a reasonable stepping stone to that.

What other areas of assessment can I improve to increase my chances of getting an offer?
What are the peculiarities of Management Consulting in Nigeria? How are things different from the 'oyinbo' videos I've been watching on youtube?

Thanks.

Bro your case is simple just write GRE and TOFEl, then study a course like Masters in public Health, You would need two years experience to apply to a top ranked business school, so skip that idea for now, i know a Mckinsey consultant peter Okebukola,a medical doctor who never practiced medicine beyond NYSC, today he leads Mckinseys medical consulting practice in New York , Another one Adana..went for an MSC at oxford and how works at the world bank, I could go on to tell you more like that.I attached peters profile/CV to this. check it out.You think you are good? then try to leave your comfort zone

5 Likes

Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by obynaDmob(m): 9:42am On Dec 22, 2016
Auditorsplace:

What aspect of Management Consulting do you want to go into? You did not waste your five or six years in Medical school. The are Medical Doctors who are business managers. I know Doctors manage HMOs and the likes. So you have a career path already. I will advise you start practising your profession as a Doctor, start studying for MBA and have your focus on being a corporate doctor rather than an "hospital" doctor. Search for vacancies that are in line with your career path and stay focused. You will get there. You can also follow Doctors who are on that path on LinkedIn. It will help.

The most sensible comment here.. He has not wasted his years and truthfully if the coporate world interests him, by all means...i read one comment about doing residency in nigeria in "heart surgery" and being the best and i just laughed. Thank you for ur advice to the guy..Blessings!

1 Like

Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by PatriotTemidayo: 9:48am On Dec 22, 2016
You're one of d few that are true to themselves, many will rather align themselves with POPULAR DEMANDS and stick, unenthused, with medicine.
You have come to d place of truth, and that place is your heart.
Few suggestions here:
1. Complete your medical study, dont bail
2. Go for management certification and thereafter seek ways to read MANAGEMENT, choose medical management as an option (not in Nigeria but available online)
3. On d side, get certification as a project manager
.....with all of the above, you wouldn't be practising but managing and believe me, it'll be engaging, exciting and rewarding more than your practising contemporaries.
My opinion.

1 Like

Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by sammhi(m): 10:07am On Dec 22, 2016
Let me advice you : if it is because of money , then know that you can also be very rich as a doctor . What to do is to bevome a urologist or a plastic surgeon or an ophthalmologist.
This is how you go about it: do your residency in any of the above here or abroad then set up a practice of your own . You will be shocked how much money you will make .
But if for lack of passion for job as a doctor then do whatever you want to . However , it is always better to stick to your own profession
Cheers
Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by richard870(m): 10:24am On Dec 22, 2016
KayTheHuman:

Thanks.
Its pretty obvious from your write-up that you belong to a family above 'average'..... personally, I think you are overwhelmed by the resources within your possession. Sometimes, the clearer the picture, the more confused people get...paradoxical right?

Question is; What drives you? Is it passion or crowd mentality?
Only you can answer that question. If its passion then good! But if something else other than that especially 'crowd mentality' then you will always get tired of whatever you venture into as nothing can be compared to a force driven by PASSION
Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by maclatunji: 11:28am On Dec 22, 2016
After NYSC you are free to do your thing. You might want to contact Jarus. I know is coaching antenna would be activated by this.

tongue tongue tongue
Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by Nobody: 3:07pm On Dec 22, 2016
SmartyPants:

Would it have been too much for yoy to read his post and grasp the simple answers you seek such as the fact that he is 26 and out of med school already?

Be quick to listen, slow to speak!

Not all comments deserve an answer and this obviously will not be dignified with an answer
Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by SmartyPants(m): 3:11pm On Dec 22, 2016
divicode:

Not all comments deserve an answer and this obviously will not be dignified with an answer

That is your business.
Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by obynaDmob(m): 7:17am On Dec 23, 2016
divicode:

Lol...Nigerians! Baba u were wrong and u knw it..stop forming Aristotle on here.. grin
Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by richakpan: 10:49am On Dec 23, 2016
read about career mistakes here, it's necessary you know them:
http://nysc-cds.com/article/10-career-mistakes-i-wish-i-had-never-made
Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by being(m): 9:18pm On Dec 23, 2016
Apart from MC, have you considered investment banking - here u deal more with numbers- the DMD of Vetiva studied medicine. One reason I'm sayin ds is because it could be quite difficult to get into McK. Accenture is a no! Other MC firms in Nigeria ain't that interesting.
Other options u have include medical management jobs lik HMO jobs.
But really, do you think you ll b bored doing medical/bioscience research?
Being that you get bored easily, I would advice MC or IB. But both are so very time consuming. But loads of moni to made.

1 Like

Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by Cromagnon: 3:45am On Dec 24, 2016
hmohammed:
It is a great move. I switched from Engineering to Consulting and today I work for Microsoft
guy Abeg, what do consultants do. I just keep hearing consulting consulting. No idea whatsoever
Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by KayTheHuman: 8:58am On Dec 24, 2016
Auditorsplace:

Thanks @Auditorsplace,
I'm not quite decided on the particular aspect of MC that I want to get into. I think it might be a good idea to stay open for now.
I've also thought about the HMOs as an option for advancing further.
Anyways, thanks for your advice.

1 Like

Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by KayTheHuman: 9:08am On Dec 24, 2016
Longman6:

Bro your case is simple just write GRE and TOFEl, then study a course like Masters in public Health, You would need two years experience to apply to a top ranked business school, so skip that idea for now, i know a Mckinsey consultant peter Okebukola,a medical doctor who never practiced medicine beyond NYSC, today he leads Mckinseys medical consulting practice in New York , Another one Adana..went for an MSC at oxford and how works at the world bank, I could go on to tell you more like that.I attached peters profile/CV to this. check it out.You think you are good? then try to leave your comfort zone

Thanks @Longman6
I really appreciate this.
Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by Waliyllahi(m): 8:16am On Dec 27, 2016
KayTheHuman:

Thanks.
My case is very similar to yours. In fact, I have been following most of the management consulting firms since my my 500level days. Its my first month of housemanship now. But in my own case , I think my performance got better in clinical school (I graduated top 10% in my class of 180), which sometimes give me the feeling to just go ahead with clinical medicine.
I was involved in some extra curricular activities too, got the 1st runner-up award for the most enterprising medical student etc.
I feel we should just network. I have tried to do so through LinkedIn but wasn't a thorough one. And for McK, won't MB;BS be considered an advanced degree? So that one starts as an intern associate or associate. My mind is still open to so many other options as well and I believe things will take its due course. And as Auditorsplace said, I actually prefer being a corporate doctor to an hospital doctor which is why I'm also considering specialising in occupational medicine.
@maclatunji, I once contacted Jarus about the same issue, I don't think I got a reply.

1 Like

Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by KayTheHuman: 7:46am On Dec 30, 2016
@Waliyllahi,

You can contact me through : thekeji@gmail.com
Re: I Need Advice On Career Change From Medicine To Management Consulting by Waliyllahi(m): 8:50am On Jan 02, 2017
KayTheHuman:
@Waliyllahi,
You can contact me through : thekeji@gmail.com
OK.

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Career Advice You Should Absolutely Ignore / Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( / How To Gain Recognition At Your Place Of Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.