Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,304 members, 7,819,028 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:15 AM

Buhari Is Nigeria's Tenth Consecutive Failed Head Of State - What Lessons Can We - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Is Nigeria's Tenth Consecutive Failed Head Of State - What Lessons Can We (1272 Views)

Buhari's First Day In Office As Military Head Of State 1983 / Jonathan Hinted 3 Years Ago That He Won't Attend Council Of State Meeting / Obasanjo Is Nigeria’s Father Of Corruption, Sits On Stolen Wealth - Fayose (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Is Nigeria's Tenth Consecutive Failed Head Of State - What Lessons Can We by Sweetguy25: 7:53pm On Dec 21, 2016
It is now highly evident that Buhari has joined his predecessors in being failures who couldn't effect any meaningful change Nigerians could be proud of in the future.

Two years into his administration, Buhari is yet get a grasp of the enormous challenges facing the country and how to tackle them.

In less than two years, Buhari's administration has exacerbated poverty in Nigeria to unprecedented levels, parents now steal food to feed their children, rate of crime has soared due to hunger and desperation coupled with the civic unrest due to his divisional comments and attitude.

In less than two years of Buhari's misrule, patriotism in Nigeria is at an all time low, hopes of a greater Nigeria has been crushed and the country has been thrown into a big ocean of uncertainty and despair.

Buhari will now spend his last two years as president trying to fix his own problems- the problems he brought upon Nigeria. Massive hunger, massive unemployment, healing national wounds and steering the country back to where it was when he met it.
Buharis failure is indisputable.

But what can we learn from Buhari's failure as a president?
Buhari has now joined Shagari, Buhari (his former self), Babangida, Shonekan, Abacha, Abdulsalam, Obasanjo, Yar'Adua and Goodluck as men who held the mantle of Nigeria's leadership but failed in making fundamental changes that would steer Nigeria to the greatness Nigeria deserves.

As it stands, Nigeria has tried both civilian and military administrations and they have all failed. Dictatorships and benevolent civilian presidents, they have all failed.

This is similar to the case of a woman who has had ten miscarriages. She would give up on child bearing and pregnancy would be a scary adventure.

Will the next president after Buhari be better? The answer is NO.

They will only be made to work under systems and institutions that have been setup to undermine their abilities.

The future of Nigeria under the current socio-political and economic system is very predictable and it leads nowhere. It looks very bleak, things won't change if we continue like this and I mean critical issues like education, infrastructure, healthcare, security and unemployment. Nigeria lags behind in the african continent on most of these aspects.

Why don't Nigerians think deep and ask themselves critical questions about the state and future of the country?

Rather than seek an alternative president to Buhari in 2019, why not seek an alternative system of government given that other presidents before him have failed?

Nigeria is heading nowhere and hoping that Nigerians would vote someone who would change the country for good is nothing but a mirage and a pipe dream.

We should stop looking at people and look at the whole governmental, political and socio-economic setup of Nigeria and seek alternative ways to change them ourselves rather than hoping on a single person to do so.

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari Is Nigeria's Tenth Consecutive Failed Head Of State - What Lessons Can We by hahn(m): 8:00pm On Dec 21, 2016
*Takes a puff*

Modified

Nigeria's first problem is lack of unity. We will always be unable to tackle issues if we cannot come to an agreement on key issues affecting us as human beings first
Re: Buhari Is Nigeria's Tenth Consecutive Failed Head Of State - What Lessons Can We by oduastates: 8:35pm On Dec 21, 2016
Obasanjo left Nigeria better than he met her

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Is Nigeria's Tenth Consecutive Failed Head Of State - What Lessons Can We by swtdrms(m): 9:35pm On Dec 21, 2016
Nigeria's one and only problem is its nature of People. I've come to the conclusion over the years that Nigerians by nature are bad managers and leaders. And that's the problem facing the country in all its ramifications. Only a few, very few individuals are good managers and as well leaders. I've worked with several people and under several varying degree of projects, the type of managerial and leadership abilities exhibited by foreign nationals especially those from Europe is quite different from the type exhibited by Nigerians. It is this poor management that has always impacted our social political lives and have modelled our way of life, culture and tradition. From my analysis of our business men who have made millions and billions over time, I've as well come to the realization that most of them made their millions not as a result of proper planning and execution but basically as a result of persistency and luck. Luck from circumstance and environment. It is this same trait that has existed in the DNA of the majority of Nigerians in all their social and political lives. Its not only Presidents who have failed, but majority of our leaders in their respective domains; Governors, Local Government chairmen etc. Irrespective of these failures ofcourse there are a handful of those individuals who have succeeded without enormous efforts, those few worked magic in the midst of myriads of problems solely because they are good managers and leaders.

On the argument of system of government, bring in Europeans to run this same government and this same political and economic system and see complete transformation in just a single tenure.

If there's any advice I'll give, I'll say as a result of explosion of knowledge, the younger generation in my analysis have proven to be better managers and leaders compared to their older counterparts. To that I'll say the only hope is the upcoming generation. This upcoming generation has repeatedly discard alot of norms and tradition for what they believe and are convinced of. That is where the ray of hope is going to lit from.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Is Nigeria's Tenth Consecutive Failed Head Of State - What Lessons Can We by luckyz4rea(m): 9:38pm On Dec 21, 2016
oduastates:

Substantiate your claim sir!
Re: Buhari Is Nigeria's Tenth Consecutive Failed Head Of State - What Lessons Can We by WizBLANCE(m): 9:49pm On Dec 21, 2016
Oh holy land with a lot of pastors/malams that can't even get God/Alah to do a thing... Abi the politicians juju pass una prayers?

1 Like

Re: Buhari Is Nigeria's Tenth Consecutive Failed Head Of State - What Lessons Can We by oduastates: 10:23pm On Dec 21, 2016
luckyz4rea:

Substantiate your claim sir!

Not bothering . I don't have time.
You can use the same phone to find useful metrics online. You can start from government finances .
But on a societal level , Okada riding Tenants in my area bought their first cars and became homeowners .Numerous civil servants that I know were changing jobs from public to the private sectors because new sectors were opened . Technology, telecommunications, banking , insurance etc .Many people that I know got the opportunity to emigrate to the western world due to the relaxation of rules ( obasanjo's diplomacy).

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Is Nigeria's Tenth Consecutive Failed Head Of State - What Lessons Can We by nwamehn: 10:58pm On Dec 21, 2016
Alternative System of Government? Then, True Federalism should come to mind. Check out USA.
Re: Buhari Is Nigeria's Tenth Consecutive Failed Head Of State - What Lessons Can We by Nobody: 11:21pm On Dec 21, 2016
Re: Buhari Is Nigeria's Tenth Consecutive Failed Head Of State - What Lessons Can We by Sweetguy25: 5:38am On Dec 22, 2016
hahn:
*Takes a puff*

Modified

Nigeria's first problem is lack of unity. We will always be unable to tackle issues if we cannot come to an agreement on key issues affecting us as human beings first

Can we ever be united and solve national issues without rancour? The answer is NO.
So what do we do?

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Is Nigeria's Tenth Consecutive Failed Head Of State - What Lessons Can We by Sweetguy25: 5:49am On Dec 22, 2016
oduastates:
Obasanjo left the Nigerian economy better than he met it.
However, he failed in every other aspect - Infrastructure was still almost non-existent. Education, healthcare, security and the democratic system were worse off under and after OBJ.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Is Nigeria's Tenth Consecutive Failed Head Of State - What Lessons Can We by Sweetguy25: 6:40am On Dec 22, 2016
swtdrms:
Nigeria's one and only problem is its nature of People. I've come to the conclusion over the years that Nigerians by nature are bad managers and leaders. And that's the problem facing the country in all its ramifications. Only a few, very few individuals are good managers and as well leaders. I've worked with several people and under several varying degree of projects, the type of managerial and leadership abilities exhibited by foreign nationals especially those from Europe is quite different from the type exhibited by Nigerians. It is this poor management that has always impacted our social political lives and have modelled our way of life, culture and tradition. From my analysis of our business men who have made millions and billions over time, I've as well come to the realization that most of them made their millions not as a result of proper planning and execution but basically as a result of persistency and luck. Luck from circumstance and environment. It is this same trait that has existed in the DNA of the majority of Nigerians in all their social and political lives. Its not only Presidents who have failed, but majority of our leaders in their respective domains; Governors, Local Government chairmen etc. Irrespective of these failures ofcourse there are a handful of those individuals who have succeeded without enormous efforts, those few worked magic in the midst of myriads of problems solely because they are good managers and leaders.

On the argument of system of government, bring in Europeans to run this same government and this same political and economic system and see complete transformation in just a single tenure.

If there's any advice I'll give, I'll say as a result of explosion of knowledge, the younger generation in my analysis have proven to be better managers and leaders compared to their older counterparts. To that I'll say the only hope is the upcoming generation. This upcoming generation has repeatedly discard alot of norms and tradition for what they believe and are convinced of. That is where the ray of hope is going to lit from.

You spoke very well and I absolutelty agree with your response.
You have to understand that Nigerians are born into a culture of mediocrity and this generally affects all aspects of our lives.
It is a culture that has been allowed to fester and grow due to an absolute negelect of our educational systems and institutions, poverty and a myriad of other factors.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Is Nigeria's Tenth Consecutive Failed Head Of State - What Lessons Can We by swtdrms(m): 7:10am On Dec 22, 2016
Sweetguy25:

You spoke very well and I absolutelty agree with your response.
You have to understand that Nigerians are born into a culture of mediocrity and this generally affects all aspects of our lives.
It is a culture that has been allowed to fester and grow due to an absolute neglect of our educational systems and institutions, poverty and a myriad of other factors.

That's the more reason i've always posited that the problem with Nigeria is just one and only one, our educational system, what do we git out of education system? The systems wire us in such a way that we come out as scammers, greedy men, immediate benefit seekers etc.

The moment our education system is well structured, and we all understand what our goals and means should be, we are headed towards development. Adequately understanding goals makes us better leaders and understanding of the means as well make us better managers.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Is Nigeria's Tenth Consecutive Failed Head Of State - What Lessons Can We by juman(m): 7:22am On Dec 22, 2016
Yeah, APC is a scam. Deluded unserious people.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Is Nigeria's Tenth Consecutive Failed Head Of State - What Lessons Can We by Stalwert: 7:24am On Dec 22, 2016
oduastates:

You mean OBJ life became better at the end of his tenure than he met it. OBJ deliberately handed power to an individual who had serious health challenges and imposed on him a bumbling buffoon as his deputy no his actions showed he left us worse of by saddling us witha leadership that is primed to fail.

OP you will face failure not Nigeria, 2017 will mark a year of impressive achievements. PMB already achieved our greatest feat in power generation. &Hopefully this will be sustained.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Is Nigeria's Tenth Consecutive Failed Head Of State - What Lessons Can We by Nobody: 7:28am On Dec 22, 2016
Although I am tempted to agree with you, failures in the Nigerian context can only be comparatively adjudged. Applying global development indices in measurement may be too farfetched because Nigeria has a peculiar history and politics

Buhari as a two time president has taken us into recession both times makes him the biggest failure
Re: Buhari Is Nigeria's Tenth Consecutive Failed Head Of State - What Lessons Can We by R3B3L(m): 7:34am On Dec 22, 2016
Re: Buhari Is Nigeria's Tenth Consecutive Failed Head Of State - What Lessons Can We by hahn(m): 8:14am On Dec 22, 2016
Sweetguy25:

Can we ever be united and solve national issues without rancour? The answer is NO.
So what do we do?

Hmm

Unite? Find some sort of common ground?

It is pretty tricky undecided
Re: Buhari Is Nigeria's Tenth Consecutive Failed Head Of State - What Lessons Can We by Sweetguy25: 8:59am On Dec 22, 2016
swtdrms:

That's the more reason i've always posited that the problem with Nigeria is just one and only one, our educational system, what do we git out of education system? The systems wire us in such a way that we come out as scammers, greedy men, immediate benefit seekers etc.

The moment our education system is well structured, and we all understand what our goals and means should be, we are headed towards development. Adequately understanding goals makes us better leaders and understanding of the means as well make us better managers.

True but unfortunately, fixing a damaged educational system in a poor country like Nigeria is a herculean task. It almost seems impossible, there are no resources to achieve that(fixing the system) even in the next 10-15 years. The future of this country doesn't look bright at all.
Re: Buhari Is Nigeria's Tenth Consecutive Failed Head Of State - What Lessons Can We by Sweetguy25: 8:59am On Dec 22, 2016
Stalwert:

You mean OBJ life became better at the end of his tenure than he met it. OBJ deliberately handed power to an individual who had serious health challenges and imposed on him a bumbling buffoon as his deputy no his actions showed he left us worse of by saddling us witha leadership that is primed to fail.

OP you will face failure not Nigeria, 2017 will mark a year of impressive achievements. PMB already achieved our greatest feat in power generation. &Hopefully this will be sustained.

We know your type - born and bred in mediocrity and self denial and delusions.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Is Nigeria's Tenth Consecutive Failed Head Of State - What Lessons Can We by Stalwert: 9:08am On Dec 22, 2016
Sweetguy25:

I know my type - born and bred in mediocrity and self denial and delusions.

k
Re: Buhari Is Nigeria's Tenth Consecutive Failed Head Of State - What Lessons Can We by swtdrms(m): 9:47am On Dec 22, 2016
Sweetguy25:

True but unfortunately, fixing a damaged educational system in a poor country like Nigeria is a herculean task. It almost seems impossible, there are no resources to achieve that(fixing the system) even in the next 10-15 years. The future of this country doesn't look bright at all.

I don't concur with that, I said in my initial post that the younger generation are better managers and leaders compared to their older counterparts as a result of explosion in knowledge. A competent leader will adequately fix the major loopholes in the interim within a short period of time while a solid foundation for long term is being worked on.

It still boils down to the issue of leadership. Competent leadership; With Myriads of problems in Lagos State, Ambode is tackling them without noise. No argument, no debates, no talk shows, no controversies, silently he's fixing issues. That is a leader with clear vision of issues at hand and ready made solutions. Fashola had achievements but you will agree with me there were alot noise and controversies. Ambode's solutions from my perspective is touching the lives of the poor masses and adding to Lagos State's ecknomy while that of Fashola is basically focused on the economy of the state, not welfarism of the down trodden. Nevertheless, they are both competent leaders because they get problems solved but I'll prefer leadership style of Ambode.
Re: Buhari Is Nigeria's Tenth Consecutive Failed Head Of State - What Lessons Can We by Sweetguy25: 1:52pm On Dec 23, 2016
swtdrms:

I don't concur with that, I said in my initial post that the younger generation are better managers and leaders compared to their older counterparts as a result of explosion in knowledge. A competent leader will adequately fix the major loopholes in the interim within a short period of time while a solid foundation for long term is being worked on.

It still boils down to the issue of leadership. Competent leadership; With Myriads of problems in Lagos State, Ambode is tackling them without noise. No argument, no debates, no talk shows, no controversies, silently he's fixing issues. That is a leader with clear vision of issues at hand and ready made solutions. Fashola had achievements but you will agree with me there were alot noise and controversies. Ambode's solutions from my perspective is touching the lives of the poor masses and adding to Lagos State's ecknomy while that of Fashola is basically focused on the economy of the state, not welfarism of the down trodden. Nevertheless, they are both competent leaders because they get problems solved but I'll prefer leadership style of Ambode.

The younger generation also lack the character exhibited by the older generation. If the younger generation of Nigerians were indeed able to change this country positively, they would've already started effecting the change. They may be born and bred in the information age where it is very easy to access information and gain knowledge easily but are they actually ready to lead?
Re: Buhari Is Nigeria's Tenth Consecutive Failed Head Of State - What Lessons Can We by swtdrms(m): 2:26pm On Dec 23, 2016
Sweetguy25:

The younger generation also lack the character exhibited by the older generation. If the younger generation of Nigerians were indeed able to change this country positively, they would've already started effecting the change. They may be born and bred in the information age where it is very easy to access information and gain knowledge easily but are they actually ready to lead?

It's just a matter of time, but going by the small enterprises and projects managed, they've fared better compared to the older generations.

(1) (Reply)

2017 Nigeria: Official List Of 46 Non-career Ambassadors - Buhari / BIAFRA: Nnamdi Kalu Apologises To Buhari, Jonathan And Igbo Elders / Unconfirmed Reports

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.