Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,346 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:16 PM

What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong (4002 Views)

What Is Atheism? / Is Atheism Gaining Ground? / Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by PDBonline: 3:13pm On Dec 22, 2016
"Atheism" in the true sense is not lack of faith in God/god(s); it is god-LESS-ness or lack of God/god(s). It is more properly defined as a state of living without regard or obedience to or concern for diety, especially a supreme personal Being, called God. (So people can be religious but godless or atheists. Disregarding God or God's word, even if you are Pope, to practice your church tradition will still qualify you as atheist.)

Atheism could have been simply defined as "lack of God/god(s) but if indeed God exists, you couldn't live without his input one way or the other even if you didn't acknowledge him or his input- either due to cheer rebellion or ignorance.

(Permit me the use of "him" for "God/god". It's for ease of writing.)

Atheism (from Greek: "a"= lack, absence; "theos"= god/gods) should therefore not be defined as a lack of faith in God. There is a proper word for that: "Apistis" (a-pistis; "a"= lack or absence; "pistis"= conviction, credence).
So, people who are generally called "Atheists" are actually "Apistis". As far as the truth of God or concept of a god/gods is concerned, they live in "apistia" (unbelief).

Also, in reality or practice, many who identify as atheists are just anti-theos: against God or the idea of his existence. Their opinions are formed; formed based on incidences( especially personal), subjunctive ideas that found co-sympathizers, and not on evidence because there is none. But they do have ideas which they hold on to by faith. This is the paradox. Their lack of faith is towards god but they do have faith towards men.

The fact that you asked God to reveal himself to you, for example, and he hasn't or at least you believe he didn't, doesn't make the experiences of those who said God reveals himself to them false. You may gain wisdom and better perspective by listening to those who get what you couldn't get. You may not believe them(to not believe is a choice) but you may be wrong as well.

Yet you may find apistis aggressively holding on to their own personal world outlook and experiences-academic experiences inclusive (e.g. researches, lectures, and readings), while rejecting and doing all they can to create doubts in people concerning the worldview and experiences of others.

They are in contrast to Propistis: those who seek to know (or to know more) of the reality of God, especially in a personal way. Those among these who do not know God in a personal way (and so atheists- lack of God), are willing to find him even if it means, looking into other people's experiences as a starting point.

SOURCE: www.House-Era.com
Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by Silvereze(m): 3:16pm On Dec 22, 2016
Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by Silvereze(m): 3:17pm On Dec 22, 2016
PDBonline:

SOURCE: www.House-Era.com
http://house-era.com/index.php/topic,671.msg1129/topicseen.html?PHPSESSID=bnrfisrfo1qf91mmebqk27t077#new

Makes a lot of sense...
Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by kingkaspa: 3:37pm On Dec 22, 2016
Atheism simply means lack of belief in God/gods. It is as simple as that.
Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by Seun(m): 3:40pm On Dec 22, 2016
PDBonline, I think this writeup is a bunch of nonsense, and I'm glad to know that you didn't cook it up yourself. tongue

What point are you trying to make by posting this writeup here? Can you make the point in your own words?

If you want to find out the meaning of any word, such as "atheism", check a dictionary. If you need a deeper understanding, check [url=en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism]Wikipedia[/url].

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by softwerk(f): 3:57pm On Dec 22, 2016
Seun, please don't harass the poor guy. It's still a public forum and I think he is still entitled to expressing his support for an opinion if he feels so strongly about it.

1 Like

Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by randomperson: 4:02pm On Dec 22, 2016
softwerk:
Seun, please don't harass the poor guy. It's still a public forum and I think he is still entitled to expressing his support for an opinion if he feels so strongly about it.
C'mon... That's not harassment. He's merely setting the poor guy straight.

3 Likes

Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by KingEbukasBlog(m): 4:06pm On Dec 22, 2016
Seun:
PDBonline,
I think this writeup is a bunch of nonsense, and I'm glad to know that you didn't cook it up yourself. tongue

What point are you trying to make by posting this writeup here? Can you make the point in your own words?

Note: If you want to find out the meaning of any word, such as "atheism", check a dictionary. If you need a deeper understanding, check [url=en.wikipedia.org/en/Atheism]Wikipedia[/url].

1. Atheism is not the absence of belief in God(s)

2. Atheism is not the lack of belief in God(s)

3. Atheism is not showing indifference towards the existence of God(s) - Its called Apatheism

4. When you have no knowledge of God(s) , it does not make you an atheist

5. Implicit atheism is not atheism , explicit atheism is what atheism is - the conscious explicit rejection of God(s)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by EyeHateGod: 4:12pm On Dec 22, 2016
They Can Define Christianity The way It suites them.....Christianity is this Christianity is That He was never a Christian bla bla bla.....Bunch of Hypocrites...

Atheism is Not the Lack of Faith in God! Yes I noticed that in your Write up. Atheism is the Lack of belief in God/Gods

4 Likes

Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by EyeHateGod: 4:14pm On Dec 22, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

1. Atheism is not the absence of belief in God(s)

2. Atheism is not the lack of belief in God(s)

3. Atheism is not showing indifference towards the existence of God(s) - Its called Apatheism

4. When you have no knowledge of God(s) , it does not make you an atheist

5. Implicit atheism is not atheism , explicit atheism is what atheism is - the conscious explicit rejection of God(s)
You have No right to tell us What Atheism is And what Atheism is Not...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by EyeHateGod: 4:18pm On Dec 22, 2016

Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by KingEbukasBlog(m): 4:25pm On Dec 22, 2016
EyeHateGod:
-

Many atheists don't know what atheism is . Implicit atheism which is the lack/absence of belief in God , it was first suggested by Baron d'Holbach in the 18th century before George Smith added finishing touches and it has been criticized as false and deceptive .

Atheism has always been the conscious explicit rejection of God(s) that's why Diagoras of Melos was described as the 'first atheist' in History - this happened 2,500 years ago .

While theism started with urreligion as far back as 300 ,000 years ago by the pre-Adamites /sub-humans even before Modern man (Adam) was created . The pre-Adamites acknowledged the existence of the Supreme Being because urreligion was described as monotheistic .
Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by PDBonline: 4:27pm On Dec 22, 2016
Silvereze:

Makes a lot of sense...

Sorry. The error is from Nairaland. Removed anyway.
Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by EyeHateGod: 4:30pm On Dec 22, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Many atheists don't know what atheism is . Implicit atheism which is the lack/absence of belief in God , it was first suggested by Baron d'Holbach in the 18th century before George Smith added finishing touches and it has been criticized as false and deceptive .
Criticized By Who? Who made it false Atheist? This guy think say me I day joke o we are gonna dig this stuff today...

Atheism has always been the conscious explicit rejection of God(s) that's why Diagoras of Melos was described as the 'first atheist' in History - this happened 2,500 years ago .
This doesn't make him the first atheist ever cause am sure that atheism has been existing b4 him just like feminism also...

While theism started with urreligion as far back as 300 ,000 years ago by the pre-Adamites /sub-humans even before Modern man (Adam) was created . The pre-Adamites acknowledged the existence of the Supreme Being because urreligion was described as monotheistic .
Homo sapians arrived 200,000 thousand years ago you sure the value you gave up there is correct? Or was it monkeys that stared theism?

Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by KingEbukasBlog(m): 4:43pm On Dec 22, 2016
EyeHateGod:

Criticized By Who?

Ernest Nagel contradicts Smith's definition of atheism as merely "absence of theism", acknowledging only explicit atheism as qualifying for the label "atheism":

I shall understand by "atheism" a critique and a denial of the major claims of all varieties of theism... atheism is not to be identified with sheer unbelief... Thus, a child who has received no religious instruction and has never heard about God, is not an atheist – for he is not denying any theistic claims. Similarly in the case of an adult who, if he has withdrawn from the faith of his father without reflection or because of frank indifference to any theological issue, is also not an atheist – for such an adult is not challenging theism and not professing any views on the subject

EyeHateGod:
This doesn't make him the first atheist ever cause am sure that atheism has been existing b4 him just like feminism also...

The Charvaka ancient school of philosophy in India were the ones who followed suite - between 2-5 century BC . They explicitly rejected Gods , souls , religion . They were purely materialistic . They believed all things are made up fire , water , air and earth cheesy . They were sybarites who lived according to the principles of hedonism. It is very similar to Epicureanism . Atheism has never been due to logic and reasoning . It started with a bunch of fools who wanted to have fun . cheesy

EyeHateGod:
Homo sapians arrived 200,000 thousand years ago you sure the value you gave up there is correct? Or was it monkeys that stared theism?

The early Homo sapians .
Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by fromnigeria(m): 4:45pm On Dec 22, 2016
Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by EyeHateGod: 4:53pm On Dec 22, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Ernest Nagel contradicts Smith's definition of atheism as merely "absence of theism", acknowledging only explicit atheism as qualifying for the label "atheism":
@modified

I shall understand by "atheism" a critique and a denial of the major claims of all varieties of theism... atheism is not to be identified with sheer unbelief... Thus, a child who has received no religious instruction and has never heard about God, is not an atheist – for he is not denying any theistic claims. Similarly in the case of an adult who, if he has withdrawn from the faith of his father without reflection or because of frank indifference to any theological issue, is also not an atheist – for such an adult is not challenging theism and not professing any views on the subject
A Child Who hasn't heard About God "Lacks" the Believe That Any Deity Exist....

The Charvaka ancient school of philosophy in India were the ones who followed suite . They explicitly rejected Gods , souls , religion . They were purely materialistic . They believed all things are made up fire , water , air and earth cheesy . They were sybarites who lived according to the principles of hedonism. It is very similar to Epicureanism . Atheism has never been due to logic and reasoning . It started with bunch of fools who wanted to have fun . cheesy
This Is Irrelevant...

Who were this Bunch of Fools that started atheism was Diogras a Fool?

The early Homo sapians .
Which one is early homo sapians...

1 Like

Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by PDBonline: 4:56pm On Dec 22, 2016
Seun:
PDBonline, I think this writeup is a bunch of nonsense, and I'm glad to know that you didn't cook it up yourself. tongue

That is the REAL MEANING (not English dictionary meaning) of Atheism in the Greek and you can find it on Wikipedia as provided in parentheses before the English definition:

Atheism (derived from the Ancient Greek ἄθεος atheos meaning "without gods; godless; secular; denying or disdaining the gods, especially officially sanctioned gods"wink
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_atheism
It has been said that Christians were once regarded as atheists in Rome because they did not subscribe to the officially sanctioned gods.
Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by hopefulLandlord: 6:00pm On Dec 22, 2016
does Kingebukasblog read his posts before clicking "submit"?
I just saw "Implicit atheism is not atheism" grin

4 Likes

Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:02pm On Dec 22, 2016
hopefulLandlord:
does Kingebukasblog read his posts before clicking "submit"?

I just saw "Implicit atheism is not atheism" grin

Does hopefullandlord understand King Ebuka's arguments before he replies

grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:06pm On Dec 22, 2016
PDBonline:

That is the REAL MEANING (not English dictionary meaning) of Atheism in the Greek and you can find it on Wikipedia as provided in parentheses before the English definition:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_atheism
It has been said that Christians were once regarded as atheists in Rome because they did not subscribe to the officially sanctioned gods.

Exactly ! I once raised an alarm sometime . The deists in Greece were also seen as atheists because they rejected the gods worshiped by the larger society . In fact , in those days , anyone who rejected the gods worshiped by the larger society were regarded as atheists grin .

1 Like

Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by hopefulLandlord: 6:06pm On Dec 22, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Does hopefullandlord understand King Ebuka's arguments before he replies
grin
"implicit atheism is not atheism"
Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:09pm On Dec 22, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

I already explained why . Understand my arguments and present a rebuttal and let's have a logical argument on that .

1 Like

Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by hopefulLandlord: 6:10pm On Dec 22, 2016
EyeHateGod:

Criticized By Who? Who made it false Atheist? This guy think say me I day joke o we are gonna dig this stuff today...

I tire o

2 Likes

Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by Nobody: 6:12pm On Dec 22, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

I can't believe you guys just left the elephant in the room.
What does the bolded even mean.
Ebuka I tire sef with this your corruption of facts.

1 Like

Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by MrMontella(m): 6:13pm On Dec 22, 2016
EyeHateGod:

You have No right to tell us What Atheism is And what Atheism is Not...
why do you bother replying his rubbishes?
Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by hopefulLandlord: 6:13pm On Dec 22, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

I already explained why . Understand my arguments and present a rebuttal and let's have a logical argument on that .
nah!

the Statement is contradictory enough

its simple grammar
Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by hopefulLandlord: 6:14pm On Dec 22, 2016
Lennycool:
I can't believe you guys just left the elephant in the room. What does the bolded even mean. Ebuka I tire sef with this your corruption of facts.
lol!
that guy loves the sound of his own voice

1 Like

Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by Seun(m): 6:21pm On Dec 22, 2016
PDBonline:
The meaning of atheism in Greek is completely irrelevant since "atheism" is an English word. It hurts to have to explain something so obvious. You can't prove that God exists by messing with meaning of the word "atheism". The word's current meaning is clear. Accept it and move on.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by theoneJabulani(m): 6:30pm On Dec 22, 2016
These Christians sha......
Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:08pm On Dec 22, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

nah!

the Statement is contradictory enough

its simple grammar

Dude , the absence/lack of belief in God which has been described as implicit atheism is not actually atheism therefore babies and people who do not have (absence) any belief in God or people who have no knowledge of God are not atheists .

In summary , for you to be an atheist you have to reject theism .
Re: What Is "Atheism"? Why You May Be Very Wrong by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:13pm On Dec 22, 2016
Seun:

The meaning of atheism in Greek is completely irrelevant since "atheism" is an English word. It hurts to have to explain something so obvious. You can't prove that God exists by messing with meaning of the word "atheism". The word's current meaning is clear. Accept it and move on.

Lmao !

When people question atheism , atheists tell them to accept the ludicrousness of their beliefs and move on . I tell you , these guys are bunch of comedians grin .

But they don't want to accept Christian beliefs or any other belief in God and just move on . undecided

Smh

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sharia Laws In The Bible / No One Goes To Heaven, No One Goes To Hell. / Does GOD Exist? "The Design Argument".

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.