Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,196 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:22 AM

Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted - Education (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted (81546 Views)

How New Provost Of The College Of Education, Ikere Was Appointed / Open Confession By The Provost Of A.I.F.C.E. Dr Mrs Blessing Ijioma's (PA) And I / The Provost Of MOCPED : Professor Akeusola Is Dead! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by baum1: 1:28pm On Dec 23, 2016
Phi001:

Or that the additional course was registered but not written.

Besides, she wrote 9 subjects. Why she submitted 7 is beyond me...and I'm sure she submitted 7 because if she submitted all 9 and only 7 were included in her transcript, she would've complained.

It's not a calculation of what she made in her waec but what she submitted.

Perhaps, you've not seen her transcript. What you submit is what is calculated for you.

The fact that she's not new yo the system doesn't mean she couldn't have made a mistake. You're firmly certain that the provost/OAU is to blame...but analyse again.

Admission process is now different.

If she submitted more than seven but only seven were accredited to her, she would've have complained.

Her transcipt's?

I think universities now have more authority to exercise in admission process. All thanks to this ranking of a thing.
So if 8 subjects are required and only 7 are submitted, she has herself to blame.

There was this one time when I was in SSS2, Chemistory exam I think.
4 theory questions, 25 marks each, 40 objective questions. I forgot to answer one theory question and I lost 12.5% for that singular mistake. In fact, I argued with my teacher until he showed me my mistake.

That's the point bro. You can see for yourself that the admissions process was based on hasty assumptions that turned out to not hold water and unfortunately destroyed the chances of this brilliant girl.

To avoid such stories, the universities should get the grades from the examining bodies. Simple. And then do whatever GPA calculus they want to do..Not put the weight on naive 17 year olds who may think they are being smart but are actually acting foolishly. IFE should learn from this..I will definitely send this advice to the professor himself, with the required respect and humility.
Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by dabossman(m): 1:29pm On Dec 23, 2016
seriousstudies:
This is absolute nonsense, am into academics and i can authoritatively reveal that this girl was denied admission for no just cause. here are the questions to answer.
1. How many people scored 320 and above who applied for medicine in OAU?
2. how many who had such mark also have a good o level result.?
The provost should rather show us the comprehensive list of students admitted to study medicine with their scores and o'level. This is absolute thrash, the poor girl was simply denied admission. He is telling the public stories.....

You don't seem to understand the process clearly yet. Let me try and help.

The total admission quota for Medicine in OAU is 100, and that includes UTME and Direct Entry).

In other words, there are only 100 slots available. But all 100 slots are not available to her. She must be part of the best 45. Why?

1. Admission into Nigerian Universities are considered on three grounds based on the nationally specified criteria (which I think ought to be reviewed now, by the way):
A. Merit =45% (This covers all candidates from the country - and it is automatic admission once you meet the cut-off mark)
B. Catchment = 35% (this refers to those in the states specified as catchment area for each University: For OAU, that is Lagos, Ogun, Ondo, Oyo, Osun and Ekiti)
C. Educationally disadvantaged states (ELDS)=20% = This refers to all the 19 Northern States, and Ebonyi, Rivers and Bayelsa.

This means that if a student from any of the catchment states or ELDS scores a similar mark or even lower to hers, but meet the required cutoff for the course,they will gain admission before her.

So in truth the young lady was vying for one of the 45 slots open to candidates chosen on merit, not one of the entire 100 slots available. She only stood a 45% chance of gaining admission for that course in Ife.

It's not an ideal system, but it is what has obtained for decades. Maybe someday it will be changed.

1 Like

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by baum1: 1:31pm On Dec 23, 2016
Vcojuro:
@ Mr bashir

chairman publish the admission list of your school and I will believe you.
No need to argue, at least let everyone knows that your provost is saying the truth. We are in the information age.
We want to know if oau really comply with the admission rules and regulations.

University of Ibadan releases the name of every admitted students and jamb registration no, each year on their website and in newspapers.

So I can't see why oau is different, is the provost afraid of releasing the list, at least oau is a public institution, a federal one for that matter.

People are saying something about oau and yet the provost can't defend the integrity of the school by publish the admission list.

At least the young lady has come out and she uploaded her her results on the social media, the provost should do likewise and upload his own list simple.

Whenever the police is accusing you of a crime you didn't commit, then you bring forth your evidence that will exonerate you.

I am tired of hearing the provost said this, the provost said that, the provost is nice, the provost is that.

We need evidence to show that the girl didn't deserve a spot on the admission list.

The evidence is for someone to paste the list of admitted students in the department of Medicine and their respective score

Guy, the provost's arguments are insightful and compelling. The problem is that they make a hasty assumption to reach their conclusions.That is the problem. A big school like IFE can't continue this way, and that is the fact. You don't base admissions decisions on assumptions. NO, that's not done.
Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by baum1: 1:33pm On Dec 23, 2016
dabossman:

You don't seem to understand the process clearly yet. Let me try and help.

The total admission quota for Medicine in OAU is 100, and that includes UTME and Direct Entry).

In other words, there are only 100 slots available. But all 100 slots are not available to her. She must be part of the best 45. Why?

1. Admission into Nigerian Universities are considered on three grounds based on the nationally specified criteria (which I think ought to be reviewed now, by the way):
A. Merit =45% (This covers all candidates from the country - and it is automatic admission once you meet the cut-off mark)
B. Catchment = 35% (this refers to those in the states specified as catchment area for each University: For OAU, that is Lagos, Ogun, Ondo, Oyo, Osun and Ekiti)
C. Educationally disadvantaged states (ELDS)=20% = This refers to all the 19 Northern States, and Ebonyi, Rivers and Bayelsa.

This means that if a student from any of the catchment states or ELDS scores a similar mark or even lower to hers, but meet the required cutoff for the course,they will gain admission before her.

So in truth the young lady was vying for one of the 45 slots open to candidates chosen on merit, not one of the entire 100 slots available. She only stood a 45% chance of gaining admission for that course in Ife.

It's not an ideal system, but it is what has obtained for decades. Maybe someday it will be changed.

Guy, your bolded statement is not wrong. She indeed had only a chance with merit.

The problem with this whole process is that both parties made too much assumptions which turned out to not hold water. It's unbelievable that IFE made admissions decision based on assumptions, that's the point. Read my previous answers if you have not.
Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by dabossman(m): 1:41pm On Dec 23, 2016
baum1:

That's the point bro. You can see for yourself that the admissions process was based on hasty assumptions that turned out to not hold water and unfortunately destroyed the chances of this brilliant girl.

To avoid such stories, the universities should get the grades from the examining bodies. Simple. And then do whatever GPA calculus they want to do..Not put the weight on naive 17 year olds who may think they are being smart but are actually acting foolishly. IFE should learn from this..I will definitely send this advice to the professor himself, with the required respect and humility.

Unfortunately, this is not going to happen. The University is considered a place for YOUNG ADULTS who are expected to be responsible for themselves. No university is going to spoon-feed young adults. You must be able at that stage to submit your correct high school results/transcript. The university will not be liable for your naivety.

1 Like

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by baum1: 1:47pm On Dec 23, 2016
dabossman:

Unfortunately, this is not going to happen. The University is considered a place for YOUNG ADULTS who are expected to be responsible for themselves. No university is going to spoon-feed young adults. You must be able at that stage to submit your correct high school results/transcript. The university will not be liable for your naivety.

Guy, this is not about spoon-feeding. This is about doing things the right way. Let's not bend the issue at hand. A university does not base admissions decisions on assumptions. It bases them on hard facts. And the most robust ways to get hard facts is to get them from the horses mouth, the examining bodies. Bro, not sure, but I hope this is not what you are arguing sha. Because that would mean it is fine that our universities, even the very best ones by naija standards, remain at the very bottom of the barrel in the admissions process. I rate IFE really high, that is why I'm providing such sensible suggestions. A university that has class cannot base admissions decisions on assumptions. It is clear that this one was based on assumptions that turned out untrue - on both parties' angle.

IFE has fault here, just as the naive student has fault. Who is supposed to be more sensible in academic matters? 17 year old or an institution that has been around for close to 50 years and parades some of the best profs in the country and perhaps in Africa?

Can't believe we are debating this.
Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by baum1: 1:50pm On Dec 23, 2016
The truth in all these matters is that IFE has made an assumption which turned out to be unfactual, unfortunately.

I will write exactly this and send to the honourable prof after receiving his response to my first email. I think we should give the prof some credit. It's not easy for people holding high offices in Nigeria to be accountable to 'the low levels'
Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by dabossman(m): 2:06pm On Dec 23, 2016
baum1:

Guy, this is not about spoon-feeding. This is about doing things the right way. Let's not bend the issue at hand. A university does not base admissions decisions on assumptions. It bases them on hard facts. And the most robust ways to get hard facts is to get them from the horses mouth, the examining bodies. Bro, not sure, but I hope this is not what you are arguing sha. Because that would mean it is fine that our universities, even the very best ones by naija standards, remain at the very bottom of the barrel in the admissions process. I rate IFE really high, that is why I'm providing such sensible suggestions. A university that has class cannot base admissions decisions on assumptions. It is clear that this one was based on assumptions that turned out untrue - on both parties' angle.

IFE has fault here, just as the naive student has fault. Who is supposed to be more sensible in academic matters? 17 year old or an institution that has been around for close to 50 years and parades some of the best profs in the country and perhaps in Africa?

Can't believe we are debating this.

We are not debating.We are rubbing minds. You need to ask yourself; who needs who more? Does the university need the student more or does the student need the university more? Why should the university go out of its way to help a student who hasn't filled an application form correctly out? So what happens if she spells her name wrongly, or writes her DOB in mm-dd-yy instead of dd-mm-yy? They have thousands of applications to deal with. The Verification processes is carried out to ensure whether you have been honest in your application, not to help correct your errors if any.

Such a costly error in itself could be a grounds for disqualifying your application. Besides, who is to determine if it was an honest error or something done on purpose for whatever reasons? Do they now contact her to find out when there are 100's of candidates who have filled their application correctly?

You say OAU made an assumption, but they actually worked with data provided by the applicant. And the applicant should put his/her best foot forward.

3 Likes

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by baum1: 2:22pm On Dec 23, 2016
dabossman:

We are not debating.We are rubbing minds. You need to ask yourself; who needs who more? Does the university need the student more or does the student need the university more? Why should the university go out of its way to help a student who hasn't filled an application form correctly out? So what happens if she spells her name wrongly, or writes her DOB in mm-dd-yy instead of dd-mm-yy? They have thousands of applications to deal with. The Verification processes is carried out to ensure whether you have been honest in your application, not to help correct your errors if any.

Such a costly error in itself could be a grounds for disqualifying your application. Besides, who is to determine if it was an honest error or something done on purpose for whatever reasons? Do they now contact her to find out when there are 100's of candidates who have filled their application correctly?

You say OAU made an assumption, but they actually worked with data provided by the applicant. And the applicant should put his/her best foot forward.

Good one bro. The student needs OAU more, that is one. Two, they made a heavy assumption in the data provided and this was even clearly their fault as their system didn't have space for some of the subjects that the young girl took. That's quite clear, no? Check the other threads where people have discussed this. They assumed the student must have either gotten an F or registered for the exam but didn't do it. That is a hasty assumption..If I am doing analysis and I get data from the world bank and the data points from the world bank are missing in some years, it is reasonable to assume that the data truly does not exist when I have not done my due deligence to establish this fact by either checking the country's government website (horses mouth) or checking other data sources such as the IMF, Trade Websites etc?

From every angle that we bring it, it is evident, and become increasingly evident, that the school made an assumption, a hasty one, that turned out to be untrue. I bet they didn't know if would go this far.

And no, checking from the horses' mouth (WAEC/JAMB) for all candidates as the standards for admissions does not mean going out of the university's way. The is a glaring hole in the admissions process and I am sure not only IFE is guilty of this, but IFE remains guilty nonetheless. It only means doing the right thing that a school hoping to be tops one day would do. Admissions decisions are not based on assumptions. They are based on hard facts. Unfortunately, IFE has based the admissions process on assumptions, partly. This should change if it wants to be in the comity of the positions it is aiming in Africa or in the world. Everything does not end in Nigeria
Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by dabossman(m): 2:41pm On Dec 23, 2016
baum1:

Good one bro. The student needs OAU more, that is one. Two, they made a heavy assumption in the data provided and this was even clearly their fault as their system didn't have space for some of the subjects that the young girl took. That's quite clear, no? Check the other threads where people have discussed this. They assumed the student must have either gotten an F or registered for the exam but didn't do it. That is a hasty assumption..If I am doing analysis and I get data from the world bank and the data points from the world bank are missing in some years, it is reasonable to assume that the data truly does not exist when I have not done my due deligence to establish this fact by either checking the country's government website (horses mouth) or checking other data sources such as the IMF, Trade Websites etc?

From every angle that we bring it, it is evident, and become increasingly evident, that the school made an assumption, a hasty one, that turned out to be untrue. I bet they didn't know if would go this far.

Below is a quote from the FAQ section of University of California,Santa Cruz. Now, in their system,the student is expected to request for an official high school transcript from the school he/she graduated from.

Admitted First-Year Students

Your admission to UC Santa Cruz for fall quarter 2016 is provisional subject to the conditions listed in this contract, which is also provided in the portal at my.ucsc.edu. “Provisional” means your admission will be final only after you have completed all the requirements below.

FAQ 4A: What do you mean by “it is your sole responsibility to meet all conditions" as it relates to the deadline for official transcripts (July 1, 2016)?

Answer 4A: As an incoming student, you are the person held responsible for making certain that all deadlines are met. Many students will assume a parent or a counselor will take care of sending required transcripts – this is a bad assumption. You must ensure that any item that is required of you to submit is received by the Office of Admissions at UC Santa Cruz by the stated deadline. (If your school sends official transcripts electronically, it needs to be received by July 1; if your school sends official transcripts via mail, it needs to be postmarked by July 1.) It is your responsibility to monitor your student portal to verify what has been received and what is still required. Remember, it is your admission offer is subject to immediate cancellation if the deadline is not met. Do not simply request the transcript be sent, ensure its receipt through the MyUCSC portal.

http://admissions.ucsc.edu/apply/conditions-faq.html

What's my point here? The University could easily have written to the school to request for the transcript, rather than leave it to a naive 17-year old as you have suggested, but they didn't. The responsibility has been put on the applicant to not only make a request from their institution, but to also follow up and ensure the required transcript gets to the university. Failure to do that and you lose your provisional admission. The university will not go out of it's place to be saddled with such logistic palavar.

Here in Nigeria,the exam board, WAEC sends your result to your high school,and they in turn provide you with a statement of results. Armed with this you make your application for admission. Don't expect the university to start making inquiries about discrepancies on a document you submitted with your own hands.

2 Likes

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by Dunsin89(m): 2:41pm On Dec 23, 2016
From my own opinion, the girl uploaded 7 of her result grades instead of 8. And the sum total was used for her grading. So it is not that the prof made mistake, the fault is from the girl or whosoever help her register her screening details.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by dabossman(m): 2:50pm On Dec 23, 2016
baum1:
The truth in all these matters is that IFE has made an assumption which turned out to be unfactual, unfortunately.

I will write exactly this and send to the honourable prof after receiving his response to my first email. I think we should give the prof some credit. It's not easy for people holding high offices in Nigeria to be accountable to 'the low levels'

Here are application requirements from another university in South Africa.

How do I apply to study at Stellenbosch University?

A: All you just need to do is apply online at the website here. This will ensure that you receive a unique student number immediately as well the ability to track the status of your application online. With your student number as reference, you then submit certified copies of your school leaving / degree certificates and academic transcripts to info@sun.ac.za. Please be sure to submit your most recent results, evidence of what you are studying in your final year of school as well as predicted grades for these subjects.

Please note: places are limited in all Faculties and therefore, it is important to apply early and ensure that your application is 100% complete.

https://www0.sun.ac.za/international/frequently-asked-questions-1/applications.html

100% complete. Not missing two subjects you sat for, but didn't include for reasons best known to you. The 17-year old must be that responsible bro.
Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by baum1: 3:19pm On Dec 23, 2016
dabossman:

Here are application requirements from another university in South Africa.

How do I apply to study at Stellenbosch University?

A: All you just need to do is apply online at the website here. This will ensure that you receive a unique student number immediately as well the ability to track the status of your application online. With your student number as reference, you then submit certified copies of your school leaving / degree certificates and academic transcripts to info@sun.ac.za. Please be sure to submit your most recent results, evidence of what you are studying in your final year of school as well as predicted grades for these subjects.

Please note: places are limited in all Faculties and therefore, it is important to apply early and ensure that your application is 100% complete.

https://www0.sun.ac.za/international/frequently-asked-questions-1/applications.html

100% complete. Not missing two subjects you sat for, but didn't include for reasons best known to you. The 17-year old must be that responsible bro.

Guy, what are you trying to defend inefficiency? I have a degree from Stellenbosch University and the picture you are trying to paint is untrue.

Stellenbosch does not admit you if they are unsure that you have supplied ALL information about your past education. This is a school I attended, so I know.

See, no need to try and defend IFE. They have made a mistake here. I don't want to push more. I am sure you know what certified copies of results are. In case you don't, it means copies of original results statements/transcripts signed and stamped by the court of law or notaries public. At some points, some of these foreign universities were even requesting scratch cards from West African students in order to check their results online. I'm sure you know that certified results are not the same as results entered online. To certify something, the originals must be seen and copies signed and stamped by someone as evidence that original had been seen.

See bro, I'm beginning to suspect that I have been around for a longer time in the world than you, just as others have been around longer than me. That's fine. I like the way you're trying to defend your position, and an older person truly does not know all, but on this one, IFE did inefficiently.

Please don't let me expose myself..Already giving too much info. IFE made a costly assumption on this one, and I cannot see how they are right here. We should desist from defending what is not correct or blaming someone who has some innocence.

1 Like

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by baum1: 3:44pm On Dec 23, 2016
Dunsin89:
From my own opinion, the girl uploaded 7 of her result grades instead of 8. And the sum total was used for her grading. So it is not that the prof made mistake, the fault is from the girl or whosoever help her register her screening details.

Guy, think deeper, please.

What variables entered into the calculations? Were the variables right or were some based on assumptions. Deep thoughts are important here. I can say 1+3=4. Am I wrong? No! But my 1 and 3, are they the right numbers to use? Debatable. That is the problem here!! They made some assumptions which made them allocate zero to the 8th subject by assuming either she failed it or she didn't do up to 8 subjects..

Normally, university admissions should be based on factual variables obtained from the examining bodies or via notarized copies as the other poster that I have responded to talked about. If IFE wants to rise to the level of its vision, it must do things in a more efficient manner. This admission procedure leaves bitter taste in the student's mouth.
Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by dabossman(m): 4:01pm On Dec 23, 2016
baum1:

Guy, what are you trying to defend inefficiency? I have a degree from Stellenbosch University and the picture you are trying to paint is untrue.

Stellenbosch does not admit you if they are unsure that you have supplied ALL information about your past education. This is a school I attended, so I know.

See, no need to try and defend IFE. They have made a mistake here. I don't want to push more. I am sure you know what certified copies of results are. In case you don't, it means copies of original results statements/transcripts signed and stamped by the court of law or notaries public. At some points, some of these foreign universities were even requesting scratch cards from West African students in order to check their results online. I'm sure you know that certified results are not the same as results entered online. To certify something, the originals must be seen and copies signed and stamped by someone as evidence that original had been seen.

See bro, I'm beginning to suspect that I have been around for a longer time in the world than you, just as others have been around longer than me. That's fine. I like the way you're trying to defend your position, and an older person truly does not know all, but on this one, IFE did inefficiently.

Please don't let me expose myself..Already giving too much info. IFE made a costly assumption on this one, and I cannot see how they are right here. We should desist from defending what is not correct or blaming someone who has some innocence.

Sorry, bro but I cannot agree with you that it is the Universities responsibility to correct an error made by a student in her application. It is clear from the examples I gave that it is the students responsibility to ensure that certified results are presented. I have applied for Masters Degree admission in UK universities before and studied there too (although for a professional certification), I applied for the transcripts, I followed up with the Uni to ensure my school had sent said transcript to them. That a university does a back check to verify your results is just to confirm that you have not falsified any info. But if you think they will find a discrepancy and then be obligated to start going the extra mile to help you correct such and improve your chances of admission, that is where you are wrong. It's like applying for a visa,and they discover that a certain document is incomplete or missing. Contacting you for clarification is not obligatory but discretionary. OAU is not under any obligation to help correct the error if/when they spotted it.

And I've been in this world since the late 70's. So maybe you're older, maybe you're not.

3 Likes

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by dabossman(m): 4:10pm On Dec 23, 2016
baum1:

You keep calling it an assumption, when it is the laid down criteria used for everyone else. Provide your details, the data provided by you will be used to calculate your score and eligibility for the course applied for. Someone submitted an incomplete application and it's the university's fault? In a situation where there are hundreds of applicants seeking insufficient slots, you really expect one student to get special treatment? The same criteria was used for everybody.

I have travelled to the UK, I didn't need to do an interview before visa was issued. I have been to the US, I needed to show up for an interview before visa was issued. Each embassy with its own criteria. Is one process better than the other? In my opinion, oh yes, one was less cumbersome; but their criteria is their criteria.

Besides,you are talking about WAEC as if they are so efficient. The same WAEC that takes about 5 years to provide original certificates? I know how many months it took me to get my uni to send my transcripts to the UK university. And that's just from a graduating set of about 20 people. You now think WAEC will respond promptly to all the Federal, State and Private universities in Nigeria promptly if bombarded with requests for result transcripts for millions of students? Some kids will wait for admission till eternity.

2 Likes

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by baum1: 4:58pm On Dec 23, 2016
dabossman:

You keep calling it an assumption, when it is the laid down criteria used for everyone else. Provide your details, the data provided by you will be used to calculate your score and eligibility for the course applied for. Someone submitted an incomplete application and it's the university's fault? In a situation where there are hundreds of applicants seeking insufficient slots, you really expect one student to get special treatment? The same criteria was used for everybody.

I have travelled to the UK, I didn't need to do an interview before visa was issued. I have been to the US, I needed to show up for an interview before visa was issued. Each embassy with its own criteria. Is one process better than the other? In my opinion, oh yes, one was less cumbersome; but their criteria is their criteria.

Besides,you are talking about WAEC as if they are so efficient. The same WAEC that takes about 5 years to provide original certificates? I know how many months it took me to get my uni to send my transcripts to the UK university. And that's just from a graduating set of about 20 people. You now think WAEC will respond promptly to all the Federal, State and Private universities in Nigeria promptly if bombarded with requests for result transcripts for millions of students? Some kids will wait for admission till eternity.

Bro, you are free to take your position. That's okay. The fact remains that in computing the O'level GPA, an assumption was made and it was that the student either made an F in the 8th subject or registered for the 8th subject and didn't take it or worst of all took less than 8 subjects. The assumption turned out wrong. The problem was even compounded by the fact that the uni's portal failed to accept some of the subjects that the girl took. If they had addressed these issues, not sure such an excellent student would have been omitted. The student has faults for not whistle-blowing, but IFE has a greater fault for creating an inefficient admissions portal and making assumptions. I believe this should be clear. Please read the other thread for the proof that the girl's subjects, some were not entered

If a university wants to develop, the university's admission process is vital. No room for assumptions, get results from the horses' mouth. It's that simple. Scratch cards are available. Admissions office must be proactive. And if IFE wants to near the kind of level they are aiming for, an efficient admissions system is very vital. It's that simple.

You see, to avoid this kind of problem, a university should follow more efficient processes. Get the results from the main source. It's that simple and it is what many universities across the world do.

Meanwhile, another area I need a proof is that 'it was clearly spelt out that 8 subjects would be used to calculate the final marks of students'. Because it is possible that some of the rookie students were thinking 'abi I passed 5 relevant subjects, so anything less than 5 go do'. One of the major issue here which I suspect, although I stand to be corrected, is a lack of initial transparency. Students didn't have a clear idea of the entire process, leading to the many assumptions from students and, unfortunately, the university officials. Would be good to get a view on this..

And please, no one is talking about results verification, definitely not me. What I am saying is that it is more efficient to get results from the horse's hand, either directly from the examining body or, following your earlier suggestions, through a certified copy. And certified copy means a signed copy of the original. In this case, the original contains all the subjects and grades obtained..The university did not request certified copies and did not obtain grades directly from source,but went ahead to assume student failed 8th subject or did only 7 subjects. This was the root of the erroneous assumptions I have hammered on.
Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by dabossman(m): 5:36pm On Dec 23, 2016
baum1:

Bro, you are free to take your position. That's okay. The fact remains that in computing the O'level GPA, an assumption was made and it was that the student either made an F in the 8th subject or registered for the 8th subject and didn't take it or worst of all took less than 8 subjects. The assumption turned out wrong. The problem was even compounded by the fact that the uni's portal failed to accept some of the subjects that the girl took. If they had addressed these issues, not sure such an excellent student would have been omitted. The student has faults for not whistle-blowing, but IFE has a greater fault for creating an inefficient admissions portal and making assumptions. I believe this should be clear. Please read the other thread for the proof that the girl's subjects, some where not entered

If a university wants to develop, the university's admission process is vital. No room for assumptions, get results from the horses' mouth. It's that simple. Scratch cards are available. Admissions office can't be lazy. And if IFE wants to near the kind of level they are aiming for, an efficient admissions system is very vital. It's that simple.

You see, to avoid this kind of problem, a university should follow more efficient processes. Get the results from the main source. It's that simple and it is what many universities across the world do.

Meanwhile, another area I need a proof is that 'it was clearly spelt out that 8 subjects would be used to calculate the final marks of students'. Because it is possible that some of the rookie students were thinking 'abi I passed 5 relevant subjects, so anything less than 5 go do'. One of the major issue here which I suspect, although I stand to be corrected, is a lack of initial transparency. Students didn't have a clear idea of the entire process, leading to the many assumptions from students and, unfortunately, the university officials. Would be good to get a view on this..

Lol. We can definitely agree to disagree. You speak as if the University of Ife is not a microcosm of the larger society. We recently saw a N-Power program where the data of applicants from one state was mistakenly switched with that of another on a FG run portal. Even the Uni's portal allegedly has issues as you have repeatedly stated. Yet you assume that WAEC's online portal is full-proof and error free? So,what makes you think that a visit by the university to WAEC's portal may not turn up someone else's results due to some technical glitch. Alas,the student fails to get admission without even knowing where the error is from.

No one has said the process is the most ideal. There are many processes that can be improved upon and simplified in Nigeria, like the processes of getting an Int'l Passport, Driver's License, Voter's Card, recovering your lost SIM card or even buying Lake Rice. But until the process is improved on, at least ensure that you adhere to the modalities of the process currently in use, especially when you are the one who needs that which you seek more.

Plus you suggested that the university buy recharge cards? At whose expense. 500 students applied for a course. We have only 100 slots. Then you expect that the uni will buy 500 recharge cards to confirm who has the right qualification or not? Are the applicants ready to pay a non-refundable administrative fee for admission processing?

Since you're from the old school, probably before internet in Nigeria, how did we handle our uni applications. We presented originals and copies of a statement of result from our high school, not WAEC document. Today they have online portals where you can fill in information. That means there is improvement in the process. But we followed the guidelines present then. In reality, if the universities have to request for the results,it should be from the schools the kids graduated from, not the exam board.

My two pence. Enjoy what's left of your day.

2 Likes

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by baum1: 5:56pm On Dec 23, 2016
dabossman:

Lol. We can definitely agree to disagree. You speak as if the University of Ife is not a microcosm of the larger society. We recently saw a N-Power program where the data of applicants from one state was mistakenly switched with that of another on a FG run portal. Even the Uni's portal allegedly has issues as you have repeatedly stated. Yet you assume that WAEC's online portal is full-proof and error free? So,what makes you think that a visit by the university to WAEC's portal may not turn up someone else's results due to some technical glitch. Alas,the student fails to get admission without even knowing where the error is from.

No one has said the process is the most ideal. There are many processes that can be improved upon and simplified in Nigeria, like the processes of getting an Int'l Passport, Driver's License, Voter's Card, recovering your lost SIM card or even buying Lake Rice. But until the process is improved on, at least ensure that you adhere to the modalities of the process currently in use, especially when you are the one who needs that which you seek more.

Plus you suggested that the university buy recharge cards? At whose expense. 500 students applied for a course. We have only 100 slots. Then you expect that the uni will buy 500 recharge cards to confirm who has the right qualification or not? Are the applicants ready to pay a non-refundable administrative fee for admission processing?

Since you're from the old school, probably before internet in Nigeria, how did we handle our uni applications. We presented originals and copies of a statement of result from our high school, not WAEC document. Today they have online portals where you can fill in information. That means there is improvement in the process. But we followed the guidelines present then. In reality, if the universities have to request for the results,it should be from the schools the kids graduated from, not the exam board.

The students can be made to buy the cards and produce them at the request of the universities. I can't contradict most of your other points. Inefficiencies everywhere. But the system needs to improve. That student's admissions denial when she fully met the requirements leaves a bitter taste in our mouths.

Let's wish her the best for next year.

Cheers
Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by BraniacX(m): 6:22pm On Dec 23, 2016
Phi001:

Check the reply of the person that mentioned her.

He checked again the next day...besides, she should have complained/raised alarm or something.

I almost lost my admission to UNIPORT because UNIPORT put me in the wrong department and I didn't complain...

So according to you, the onus to correct a technical error from the schools website admin rests solely on the student especially after she has filled and submitted her e-form constrained by limitations created by the schools e-portal? undecided are you for real? At what point does the school take responsibility then?
Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by Annibiteye: 6:45pm On Dec 23, 2016
dabossman:

dabossman:

Sorry, bro but I cannot agree with you that it is the Universities responsibility to correct an error made by a student in her application. It is clear from the examples I gave that it is the students responsibility to ensure that certified results are presented. I have applied for Masters Degree admission in UK universities before and studied there too (although for a professional certification), I applied for the transcripts, I followed up with the Uni to ensure my school had sent said transcript to them. That a university does a back check to verify your results is just to confirm that you have not falsified any info. But if you think they will find a discrepancy and then be obligated to start going the extra mile to help you correct such and improve your chances of admission, that is where you are wrong. It's like applying for a
dabossman post=52198917:

visa,and they discover that a certain document is incomplete or missing. Contacting you for clarification is not obligatory but discretionary. OAU is not under any obligation to help correct the error if/when they spotted it.

And I've been in this world since the late 70's. So maybe you're older, maybe you're not.

100% in support of your submissions all along.
The candidate garbaged in and unfortunately got garbaged out.The online pre admission screening is very much part of the selection exercise. A candidate can be screened out if incomplete information is presented during the online pre admission process even without him/her knowing, until the whole process is completed, just as in the case of the candidate in question.
Admission seekers needs to learn from the costly mistake of 'this candidate'. Shalom!

3 Likes

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by calebify1(m): 7:19pm On Dec 23, 2016
Sheggy13:

Of course over half of the people on that list didn't get up to the merit cut-off mark cos merit comprises just 45% of admissions in Nigerian universities while Catchment area and ELDS take up the remaining 55% ( 35% and 20%). This is the result of having a skewed and shady admission process in Nigeria where merit is sacrificed on the altar of tribalism and Northern supremacy. These are the things that worked against that girl. But honestly, I expect someone with a score of 320 in UTME to do better than a C4 in Physics and Biology especially, in O'Level. Be that as it may, OAU could have at least admitted her for Dentistry which was her second choice course, or what was the essence of telling students to fill both choices if only the first one is being considered? It's quite a sad experience.
Her grades in jamb and waec are independent of each oda. Different exam conditions. Besides everyone has a weak link. physics proved to be hers.. I hope something is done for the young lady.
Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by baum1: 9:08pm On Dec 23, 2016
calebify1:

Her grades in jamb and waec are independent of each oda. Different exam conditions. Besides everyone has a weak link. physics proved to be hers.. I hope something is done for the young lady.

Truly, one would expect A1 or at least A2 from her in physics and biology. Maybe she took the JAMB after taking WAEC, so she really prepared for it and developed significantly. It is possible to grow very fast academically in one year, especially for these young students. 320 is for top, top, students. The girl is bright. In our days, we dreamed or even thought the score was impossible. These kids of nowadays keep proving to me that anything is possible. I'm impressed.

I just love discussing exams and excellent students..Lol, I'm agbaya.

I have a nephew who is in SS2. I have told him that if he can make 9 A1's, I will offer him a return ticket to any of the Disneylands of his choice. This is really motivating the poor boy, and I just want him to reach his potential fully. If he says it is impossible, at least I have people to point him to, like this girl for JAMB. I just love seeing A1, plenty of it. To be frank, I don't like seeing B..C will give me apollo, D can make me start wearing glasses. lol. I try not to show this when I am with a student jumping up for making 5 C6's lol, because that student too can turn out great.

1 Like

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by Phi001(m): 9:13pm On Dec 23, 2016
BraniacX:

So according to you, the onus to correct a technical error from the schools website admin rests solely on the student especially after she has filled and submitted her e-form constrained by limitations created by the schools e-portal? undecided are you for real? At what point does the school take responsibility then?
No, I'm saying she should've tendered a complaint at that very moment.

Now, we're left debating is and what could have been.

1 Like

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by francisbiz: 12:08am On Dec 24, 2016
Josephnice:
I don't just buy into this vague calculus theorem of the so called provost to denying this girl her admission. Lecturers are so smart in formulating excuses in cover up of their partiality. Whichever way u solve the equation, this girl deserve a place in the merit list or if it result to worse, she should have been given a relative courses that are not so competitive to choose from. How can someone who scored 320 in jamb walk home empty handed and not even with her second chosen course(dentistry)
Don't mind the provost, if he wants to make a serious case, he should publish the list of all the students admitted in medicine, their jamb scores and their SSCE scores.
So universities now calculate Further Math with SSCE cores and UMTE scores, for all the candidates that applied to their schools, in all the courses.
If you know the level of scam in tertiary institutions admission, it's worse than yahoo+
They have First-list, Second-list, Supplementary-list and VC-list.
If you set up an audit on this issue you surely would be surprised. That's how they do it in Nigerian universities.
Even governors list dey.
This is exactly what GEJ meant when he said "corruption is not stealing".

2 Likes

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by calebify1(m): 2:03pm On Dec 24, 2016
baum1:

Truly, one would expect A1 or at least A2 from her in physics and biology. Maybe she took the JAMB after taking WAEC, so she really prepared for it and developed significantly. It is possible to grow very fast academically in one year, especially for these young students. 320 is for top, top, students. The girl is bright. In our days, we dreamed or even thought the score was impossible. These kids of nowadays keep proving to me that anything is possible. I'm impressed.

I just love discussing exams and excellent students..Lol, I'm agbaya.

I have a nephew who is in SS2. I have told him that if he can make 9 A1's, I will offer him a return ticket to any of the Disneylands of his choice. This is really motivating the poor boy, and I just want him to reach his potential fully. If he says it is impossible, at least I have people to point him to, like this girl for JAMB. I just love seeing A1, plenty of it. To be frank, I don't like seeing B..C will give me apollo, D can make me start wearing glasses. lol. I try not to show this when I am with a student jumping up for making 5 C6's lol, because that student too can turn out great.

funny post.
Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by Vcojuro: 12:09am On Dec 25, 2016
These guys like deceiving us.
We asked for list of those admitted into medicine, meanwhile they are bringing the database showing the rankings of those who applied for medicine.

We are not stupid, what we are asking for is the final list of admitted candidates because that's where the real deal.
All schools have a database for admission policy and other process.
Even banks having a database of customers does not mean all the customers are loyal to them.

It's simple they should release the list of admitted candidates and their scores to show if they truly comply with NUC admission policy.

The picture that guy released is what we call "window dressing", just to shift attention from them.

Instead of them to release the admission list, they are releasing the data base of the admission process.

An analyst knows that database and admission list are two different things at odd with each other.

Even the database they released is not complete, they should have started from the candidate with the highest score to that of the lady, we will use their jamb reg no and cross check it, on jamb website to see their admission status.

They will not release the complete data base because if they do, you will see candidates with very low scores, those who are not in the first 500 on the list.

They should show us the final list of admitted students or complete data base of those who applied for MBBS (we will check on jamb website to cross check if their admission status correspond with their position on the data base)

The school authorities are learners , they should try and meet politicians,who can lie with ease.
Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by Nobody: 2:22pm On Dec 25, 2016
LorDBolton:

Bruv the provost has told the simple truth about admissions into very competitive courses.

My prob is why FG had to scrap post-ume, she would have had better odds duelling it out with fellow braniacs, not relying on waec.

No matter how impressive her result is, trust me you'll see even more impressive ones, an investigative report by a good journalist will prove it

I'm sure medical students here will back me up, jamb score of 300+ na purewater for med science applicants.

I've been close to faculty officers in my school days, I know how these admissions ish is done.

She wasn't necessarily competing against people from the west(catchment), she was competing against peeps from her region [I think she's SS + SE (merit) ]

Unless they reinstate pume or abolish catchment/Elds then people like her will continue to suffer heartaches

Trust me anyone who's stayed in osasogie n seen the yearly 'chaiii chaiii chaiii' as peeps get offered animal science, fisheries, physiology and other bms courses instead of medicine despite high scores.

Then u get to 'temporary accommodation' and see results! You will understand what I mean by braniacs pass braniacs.

What I understood from the provost statement was that she couldn't be automatically offered another course...in the old days you were to pick 3 courses in descending order.

Maybe the pattern is different at OAU sha, Cos that result is enough for any BMS course

I really loved this. See dullards just shouting anyhow. I swear 300+ is a normal mark for medicine applicants. I know because those are the kind of people I move with though i'm in the field of mathematics.

1 Like

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by Nobody: 2:24pm On Dec 25, 2016
All of you should please stop complaining. A lot happens in life and we just complain without knowing why. Medicine is very competitive. Download the screening result she uploaded and you'd see where it's written that five subjects were more considered.
now let's look at her grades in those subjects
English Language A1
Mathematics. B3
Chemistry. B3
Physics. C4
Biology. C4
who cares for your proficiency in English language when u want to study medicine and surgery?
seriously speaking with competition this days don't we think so many people scored better than that ( even if its through miracle centres) ?
have we seen results of people from miracle centres? There is an average of 5 A's in their results.
I pity the girl sha, but instead of all these, she should think of better things. God has a plan for her.
I don't support malpractice but even brilliant students use it these days.
They get exam questions and answers online even before entering hall.
let's just hope for the best for her
Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by samtaiwo2003: 9:56am On Dec 26, 2016
This is a very good one from the Provost. Even in LAUTECH (despite our current crisis), this candidate could not be admitted for Medicine on merit because her score of 71.7% (approx. 72%) by LAUTECH screening score format, with her WASC results and JAMB score, is below LAUTECH cutoff of 73% for merit admission into Medicine in 2016/2017 admission year. So, OAU has done very well in this regard. Prof SS Taiwo, Provost, CHS, LAUTECH, Osogbo

1 Like

Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by Thelucky: 7:22pm On Dec 27, 2016
Ummmh
Re: Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted by TEEDEE70: 12:53am On Dec 28, 2016
I really feel sorry for this young lady, but need to clarify some of the points raised by people who have been commenting on the issue.

The mistake was entirely from the brilliant young lady and not from the school as most people have been insinuating - the computation of the score is done automatically by the Computer based on whatever information you input. I recall doing this for my daughter - first with her NECO result and then updating to the WAEC result when I saw that I could not input all the required minimum of 8 subjects using her NECO result, even though, that would have given her a better result.

That said, I met the Provost last year when my daughter also applied to study Medicine and I felt she had a good chance having performed well in both the UTME and Post UTME exams, and having excellent grades in her WAEC exams. To my utmost surprise, the Provost who I was meeting for the first time attended to us very pleasantly and requested that my daughter search for her name on the list - she was number 350 on the list - about 3500 people had applied to study Medicine in OAU. The Provost painstakingly explained to us the admission process as he has done in his clarification here and the options that were available to my daughter. So I am confident that his explanations are true and not necessarily biased against the young lady in question. I can vouch that he is a good man.

For me, I think the Medical and Dental Council needs to look into the quota being allocated to Medical schools. 100 is not enough for a school like OAU or any other school for that matter. With our teeming population of 150 million people, we need to be producing more than 100,000 Doctors annually to keep up with medical needs of the nation.

I am also a strong advocate of scrapping JAMB and allowing the Universities to manage their own admission process based solely on merit and not any other quota system.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Is This Lady One Of The Reasons Bowen Students Were Afraid Of The Drug Test? / How To Upgrade Your ND And HND Certificate To BSC - See Step / Opinion: Courses That Are Easy To Obtain A FIRST CLASS Degree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 201
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.